Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Flavio) (Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Swishy Ivy Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
After getting out of Ancient Runes, Kauri still felt the itch to put the new spread he had learned into practice. He missed Divination a lot, and though the Seer lessons with Professor Chamberlin were exciting, he missed having the class on his timetable as well. Ancient Runes was pretty close though, and Kauri wanted to get more practice in with his runes, so he had decided to take some of his free time to practice. He saw no reason not to make the most of the sunshine while it was here, and found himself a cosy place in the courtyard to practice the runic cross. Kauri knew he needed to practice the career mirror too, but something made him a bit hesitant. His tarot readings relating to his career had always wound up... far more negative than Kauri had hoped, and he was nervous the runes may tell him the same. Kauri had such a clear idea of what he wanted to do with his life, and didn't really have much in the way of backup plans. He wasn't sure what he would do if things didn't work out. Fidgeting anxiously with the runes in his kete, Kauri sat still as he tried to decide what to do.

If there was one thing Angel had to hand to this school, the grounds were beautiful, especially at this time of year. He definitely didn't miss the Texas heat at all, and so far the New Zealand Summer had been treating him pretty well. Once again taking the any opportunity to be free of the humid dankness of the greenhouses, Angel was poking around the courtyard, enjoying the satisfying click of his shoes on the cobbles. He was distracted from his walk by a student nearby fussing with something in a woven bag or basket thing. Angel recognized from his class last year, bright kid if he remembered correctly. Strolling over, Angel peered at whatever Kauri was fiddling with, trying to decide if he was in the mood to potential open whatever can of worms a 16 year old might be dealing with right now. "How's it going over here?" He asked lightly, peering at the bag curiously.

Absorbed in his thoughts, Kauri hadn't really been paying attention to anyone near him, looking up in surprise at being addressed. His heart dropped slightly at the sight of the new Herbology professor - he had done his best to give the man a chance, but Kauri was still upset at losing Professor Carter, and something about Professor Castillo just rubbed him the wrong way. Not that he would ever say as much to a professor, of course, Kauri only wanted to be polite to the man. Smiling quickly, he sat up a bit straighter, holding up his kete as though it explained anything. "Oh, I'm just practicing for Ancient Runes, professor." As wary as he was at the prospect of more time around Professor Castillo, a thought occurred to Kauri in the moment. "Actually, do you have a minute professor? We didn't have time to practice this reading with a partner in class, I'd really like to practice with another person. Only if you don't mind, of course." He added quickly. Kauri didn't much like Professor Castillo, but maybe practicing a spread he was nervous about with someone he wasn't especially fond of would soften the blow a little. If the reading was bad... well, Professor Castillo was already an adult with a career, it would hardly matter in the long run.

Angel would be the first to admit that he still got a kick out of people referring to him as 'professor'. It felt entirely too proper to him, but he still smiled anytime someone said it. Softened up a bit, Angel was happy to oblige Kauri some time, a little intrigued by what he might pull up in his runes as well. "Go for it, let's see what they say." He said, taking a seat next to Kauri and crossing his legs, nodding at the boy to get started when he was ready. Runes wasn't ever really something Angel had been involved with and he was curious about how accurate a reading might be, even from a novice.

Kauri still didn't know how he felt about spending more time with Professor Castillo, but he grinned when the man agreed, relieved that at least he'd get a chance to practice. And maybe spending more time with Professor Castillo would change his opinion of the man. "Um, alright, it's called a career mirror, it tells you things about where your career is right now, and where it might go in the future." Kauri focused for a moment before starting to draw runes, laying them out in the space between the two of them on the bench. Once he had drawn all six runes, Kauri studied them for a moment before beginning to explain the reading to his teacher. "Okay, in the first postion is Tiwaz. The first position is about where you are right now, and Tiwaz is... the rune of victory, basically. It represents... dedication, stability, motivation, success, all of that kind of thing. So basically you're in a good place right now, you've succeeded. This second rune represents the challenge you're facing, which... kind of confuses me, because you've got Wunjo, which is the rune of joy and prosperity and luck. So... you've been too lucky maybe? That doesn't make much sense to me. The third rune represents your greatest strength, and that's Pertho. Pertho is... things that are beyond our control, the rune of fate basically. So I guess luck is your greatest challenge and your greatest strength?" He paused halfway through, looking up at the professor. "I don't know if this makes sense to you..."

Angel was a bit less sure about the reading when Kauri mentioned it was a career reading, but hey, it was just a little harmless divination, so Angel continued smiling as Kauri spread the runes out between them. It was all actual gibberish to him, but Kauri seemed to actually know his stuff, and Angel listened curious as Kauri seemed to draw some meaning from each symbol. Angel smiled at the first one, he definitely felt very accomplished right now, glad that the runes seemed to agree with him. The next rune was a bit odd and Angel twisted his mouth in consideration as Kauri described joy and prosperity being a challenge. "I guess success and stability doesn't always equal joy, huh? That's a little depressing," He joked, trying to ignore the implication that the runes might be threatening about his current run of good luck. "At least I've got fate on my side here, what's the rest mean?" He asked, fully invested now and pushing past the uneasy feeling this was giving him.

Last edited:
Kauri glanced up at Professor Castillo, a little surprised that he seemed affected by the reading. It didn't make much sense to Kauri himself, but it obviously did to the professor. "Well this is the fourth rune, it represents your... past experience in regards to this situation. This rune is Inguz, it's associated with... fresh starts, fertility and growth. So I guess it's saying you've... had a lot of fresh starts? The fifth rune is what your future plans are, and how useful they're likely to be, and this is Algiz, it's a rune of protection. It represents... a fortunate new influence, and following your instincts. So... I guess more luck?" Kauri said with a small shrug, hesitating before he got to the final rune. As soon as he had drawn this rune he had felt terrible for suggesting this in the first place. "And the sixth rune, um... this represents the final outcome, and this is... this is Hagalaz." He said, pointing to the rune. "It's, um... the rune of destruction." Kauri said uncomfortably, not able to bring himself to look at the professor. "It can mean... death or major setbacks. But there are less negative meanings!" He added quickly, trying to cushion the blow. "It can mean... an opportunity for change. It advises not trying to... start anything new, to just... stay safe, and make changes that will lessen, um... whatever bad thing it represents. So you can... maintain things, I guess." Kauri said a little weakly, quickly sweeping his runes back into their kete. "Sorry, professor, they're... just runes." He added quickly, deciding not to mention the seer training he had been undergoing. He had thought possibly getting a bad reading for a teacher he wasn't fond of wouldn't be too bad, but now he felt horrible for being so mean as to subject the man to this just because Kauri didn't like his lessons.

Frankly, the accuracy the runes, or at least Kauri's interpretation of them, was starting to get a little uncanny. Angel kept the smile on his face as Kauri went over the next rune, but wondered if it looked as strained as it felt. "Well that's decently accurate, I certainly had a lot of projects back home. Maybe you don't need the practice as much as you thought," He joked, listening as Kauri explained the next rune, nodding thoughtfully. He wasn't one to take too much stock in runes or other divination, but he figured it couldn't hurt to keep it in mind, especially in regards to his future. Fortunate new influences seemed all over the place at this school, so at least Angel knew he could apparently trust his gut with that.
The last rune was unsettling to say the least, and the bad feeling Angel had about the earlier details of Kauri's spread were quickly forgotten with this one. He chuckled at Kauris attempts to reassure him, but it sounded a little weak, even to him. He'd always had a hunch this whole undertaking might blow up in his face, but this definitely didn't bode super well. "Wow, guess I better be extra careful then. Luck can only get you so far," He said, carefully casual, getting to his feet once Kauri was done. "Thanks for the reading, though, keep up the hard work, I think it's paying off." Angel threw over his shoulder, heading out of the courtyard as fast as he could while still maintaining an unaffected appearance. Kauri was an amateur and a kid, so Angel really couldn't put too much weight into what he'd said. Still. He had some things to think about.

Kauri's nerves about Professor Castillo's reaction were quickly justified as he chanced a look up just in time to see the professor's reaction. He felt horrible for making Professor Castillo feel so bad, even if he wasn't especially fond of the man as a teacher. Before he could find the right words to apologise properly, Kauri watched in dismay as Professor Castillo sped out of the courtyard. He had obviously upset the professor a lot, and Kauri felt terrible about this. He just couldn't do anything without hurting someone lately. Packing up his runes, Kauri kept his head down as he made his way back into the castle, trying to think of what he could do to apologise to Professor Castillo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back