Old School Week Busiest of holiday households

Keanu was pretty sure Keeva and Ferrah used to play on the same team together in Scotland so it was no surprise that they recognised each other. "I've got it mum," he moved past to grab a few drinks for himself and Keeva, before gesturing them through to the living room to join his step dad. As much as he wanted to talk to his mum he didn't want to get in the way of the cooking. "Hey guys!" he grinned at the family members lingering in the hall, hoping they'd join him in the other room so they could sit down.

Ferrah got the feeling that Asaiah wasn't quite as chatty as usual, and linked an arm through his so that he didn't feel quite as isolated. She waved to Aodhan and Lily, her cousin had always been good to her, before turning to see her brother and former teammate come through. "Hey Keanu. This is Asaiah, the guy I was talking about," she announced with a grin, recalling their previous conversation back in New Zealand. She glanced over to Keeva, "How've you been?" she asked, keen to know how the team were doing in Scotland.

Libby let her son and his girlfriend sort themselves out before turning back to the food. She wanted to get to know her family more than anything, but she couldn't let things burn either. The brunette hurried around the kitchen in a frenzy, glad that everyone seemed to be getting on with each other.

Lily followed behind Aodhan, suddenly there were people everywhere. "Hi," she said to no one in particular. When one of the blondes asked what they were studying, she glanced to her friend before answering. "I'm doing Graphic Design," she said, wondering whether the girl even cared or if she was just asking to be polite. She felt very out of place, everyone here seemed to know each other.

Asaiah smiled softly when Ferrah linked her arm through his. It felt strange to celebrate Christmas with another family, especially when his older siblings invited him to come celebrate it with them, too. He still hadn't forgiven them for their outbursts towards him. ''Oh you've talked about me, have you?'' Asaiah asked in surprise. ''Well, I can only hope that she's been positive about me,'' the beater added to Keanu.

He faked a smile when Belladonna asked them what they were studying because he knew that she didn't give two sh!ts about either him or his friend. At least she wasn't being rude. ''And I'm doing Robotics,'' Aodhan added to it. Upon seeing his stepbrother, the boy smiled widely. ''Dude!'' he exclaimed happily whilst walking over towards him, ready to do the handshake they had invented a while ago.

People were coming in and out of the living room while Eryk was still busying himself with getting the twins to quiet down. He always thought that raising Aodhan was difficult until they had the twins to take care of. He could only hope that they would be asleep for most of the night so neither Libby or himself would have to leave the festivities to check up on them.

There was quite a lot of bustle and chat going on around the people. Keeva was keen to cling to Keanu and now Ferrah, as she started to realize they were the only two she knew. Not that she had been particularly close with the teammates - she was a competitive player and while winning was a celebration, losing was an anger inducer. "I've been good, ups and downs you know. How about you, your new team keeping you bruise free?" She asked with a smile, glad to have some sort of conversation going - after all, she felt nerve wracked as it was. It wasn't often the Keeva wasn't the pinnacle of self-confidence, and she looked to Keanu for reassurance.

Keanu grinned at Asaiah, glad to finally be able to put a face to the name. Ferrah had told him about her concerns the day after her birthday, and he was pleased that things seemed to be going well for the pair. He gave a sound that suggested what he’d heard was debatable, before chuckling, “I’m kidding. Of course it’s positive. Mostly. How are finding it being on the same team now?” He asked them, hoping it was just what they’d wanted. He glanced over to see Aodhan headed in his direction too, putting out a hand with a grin to surprise himself by remembering the handshake they’d made up when he was eleven. “Hey my man,” he added, one arm round his shoulder and pulling him into the group, a beckon to the girl beside him. “Come and join us. We’re talking Quidditch!” He announced with a wink to Keeva, hoping she’d join in.

Ferrah grinned at the tall girl, hoping things were still progressing and that it would be a while until she had to face off her replacement. “Bruise free? Most of my bruises come from this one,” She elbowed Asaiah in the ribs lightly, “He’s not as ruthless as you, but his aim could do with some improvement,” she teased, sticking her tongue out at her friend. “Come and meet my mom,” she asked, thinking it would be easier for the Beater to get to know her family gradually rather than as a mess in the corridor.

“So you’re the one Ferrah used to avoid. I see,” she smiled pleasantly at Keeva, wondering why both her siblings seemed to like her. She was quiet and didn’t really strike the blonde as being anything too special or important. She’d heard her name once too many times though not to be curious, “And why exactly do you live in Scotland?” She added, crossing her arms over her chest.

Keeva grinned. "Hey when beater is in your title most people avoid ya." The woman spoke, Irish accent heavier than the others around her in her ears. Then she was asked a question that took her a back, by the seemingly abrasive blonde. "Oh well, I mean my last team didn't really work out. And Scotland was, closer to Keanu if I'm honest. So... I moved." She spoke, trying not to display how out of her depth she was. "What about you, cute blonde like you must do something spectacular?" She offered, hoping flattery would get her somewhere.

Asaiah was genuinely worried for a second that their conversation about him may not have been as positive as he would have hoped. ''That's a relief to hear,'' Asaiah shook his head in response to Ferrah teasing him. ''I'd like to believe that there's nothing wrong with my aim. You just said it yourself, I'm responsible for most of your bruises. Doesn't sound like bad aim, does it?'' he teased back. He nodded when she wanted for him to meet her mother and together with her walked away from the group.

''I hope you're staying a bit longer than usual,'' Aodhan said as he put his arm around Keanu's shoulder. ''It's your turn to watch the twins and besides I'm busy with something else,'' he shot a quick look to his friend and then back to his stepbrother. ''So, Quidditch? Why aren't we talking basketball?'' he said with a grin. Aodhan knew next to nothing about Quidditch.

"Well if it's his turn to watch the twins, then I guess I'll tag along with these two." Keeva said, nodding to the girls she was speaking with previously and laughing. Keeva was an only child, and she ken next to nothing about having or caring for kids. Keeva, who was raised completely with magic looked at the man. "Basketball? What the hell is that?"

“It is when you’re aiming for Odette,” she clarified, but happy enough to lead Asaiah through to the kitchen. As ever, her mum was busy trying to please everyone, but Ferrah believed that if she could distract her for a moment then everyone would be happier, “You always told me one day I’d bring a boy home,” she said confidently, waiting for the woman to notice them.

Bella knew if her brother ever found out that she’d cause a whole world of problems, so she had no intention of him even getting a watt of what she did. That didn’t meant she wasn’t going to play along however. “I work for an organisation that focuses on magic most people usually associate with pain or death,” she said, a pleasant smile forced across her face. Of course anyone listening would have assumed she was joking, and perhaps the best way to hide was in plain sight. If anyone really wanted to know, she’d tell them she was a healer, but this was more fun to see Keevas reaction.

“My turn? You’ve only had them like once this whole year!” He joked, hoping he wasn’t about to be lumbered with them again. If anything it was probably Ferrahs turn. “Oh yeah?” He asked, glancing across to Lily. “Basketball, is boring, by the way. I can’t believe you’re still into that,” he rolled his eyes dramatically.

''What do you mean 'I can't believe that you're still into that?' I'll have you know that I'm playing for the university's team so I am definitely still into that,'' Aodhan retorted. ''It's basically Quidditch but without the bludgers and the snitch and just two hoops rather than six,'' he told Keanu's girlfriend. ''It's really fun!''

Keeva listened to the blonde, not sure if she was joking or not. “I will be sure to look you up if I need a bit. Give me a family discount yeah?” She asked jokingly. “No bludgers no way. They didn’t call me “The Beater” in school for nothing. Actually they called me that because of the fist fights, but that’s neither here nor there.” She laughed, looking at Keanu. This wasn’t so bad. She was getting used to it.

Libby turned to see her daughter standing in the doorway with a boy by her side, “You made it!” The woman swept through the room before giving her a tight hug, and moving on to the one beside her, “I’m so glad you came Asaiah. How is everything going? I hope the others aren’t being too much in there,” she looked him straight in the eye, knowing her family could be quite energetic when they wanted to be. She actually knew the boy from when she taught at the school, he was just a couple of years above Aodhan, but she didn’t want to come off in professor mode.

The girl had barely been here five ministers and she was asking for discounts, “Of course. Once you’re family.” Her smile never fell from her face, as she held her gaze for a moment. Then the boys took over as usual and that was the blondes cue to leave. “As fun as this is, is there any danger of us getting food this evening,” she uttered, heading off into the lounge. She wasn’t hungry by any means but at least she was out the way f the crowd.

Keanu knew Bella was joking, but she seemed so much stiffer than she had when they last spoke. Perhaps that’s what graduation had done to her. His eyes followed his sister as Aodhan was trying to explain Basketball to his girlfriend, “And tell me how that’s better than Quidditch. You’re just a sore loser who doesn’t like being hit,” of course no one did, but the muggle game was much more safe and therefore much more boring to the former Gryffindor.

Lily felt a silent sigh as Aodhans family all started arguing with each other about whether one sport was better than another. Who cared? Both were terrible games that riled up a crowd, and the former Hufflepuff hoped she’d never have to attend either as a spectator. Aodhan had asked her to watch him play on occasion too and she’d only just been able to excuse herself. “You know maybe food isn’t such a bad idea,” she raised her eyebrows to Aodhan, hoping he got her underlying message from her tone of voice.

He would've liked to discuss which sport was better, but it seemed that they would have to finish the discussion later when Lily told him that food wasn't such a bad idea. ''Right then, let's go and have some food,'' Aodhan said in response, knowing that his friend did not find their discussion fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back