Breakfast

"Questions?" She cocked her head to the side.

"Ya, at first about whether I had been attacked and what was upsetting me, which I suppose was natural. But then it was all about memory charms and the likes." Nicolas began, wondering if he shouldn't be telling Cecily this and should be telling Arithmos, "She wants me to reverse one she's had on her." He finally said in a quiet tone.

"Oh Nicolas," she leaned toward him, covering his hand with hers. "The risks involved...she's so young. Who would do such a thing to her?"

"I know, I know." Nicolas began playing with the waffles he had placed on his plate. "I had told her that to, but it seems if it isn't me it'll be somebody else who she has trying to reverse it." He continued in the same quiet tone as before so nobody would overhear, "Apparently her father had it done."

"Her own father modified her memory?" She sat back in her seat, deliberately keeping her eyes from the Slytherin table. She didn't want her to think they were talking about her. She fixed a calm look on her face. "Will you need help?"

(ooc: I'm off. Have to pick up dinner. :oy: bbs.)

"No, apparently her father had her mother do it." Nicolas corrected, not expecting this to reassure Cecily any but figuring she may as well have her facts straight. "And no, I don't suspect I'll need help, I have done it once before after all, and a spectator would probably only make me nervous. I don't even know if I will end up doing it, she has to agree to all my terms."

Cecily covered her mouth with her hand. She hurriedly put it back in her lap and looked down. "I can't imagine a parent doing something like that to their own child." She shook her head. "If you need me at all or if she does please don't hesitate to send for me. If you do go through with it." She picked at the edge of her napkin. "What are your terms?"

"I only really came up with one thus far -- that I could tell somebody." Nicolas began, knowing this wasn't an all-too creative term. "Which reminds me, you can't tell anybody. Then I asked her for a book I lent her back, though I may have another term where she has to inform Arithmos of what will be occurring."

"I swear," she said, crossing her heart with her finger. "Those are solid terms, although quite scary. I'm the only other person to know?"

"You, me, Sophia, whomever Sophia chooses to tell and Arithmos if I make her to him." Nicolas confirmed with a nod.

"I see. This is a big undertaking. How do you feel about it Nicolas?" She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

'How I felt when I did it for you, but more nervous as she's a student' Nicolas thought, though didn't say because he wasn't sure if Cecily would take it offensively. "Not too sure, how do you feel about it?"

"To be honest, it scares the hell out of me," she said shakily. "That night-when you helped me-it was scary, for me...for you. I knew I had to have it undone but I feel awful thinking of putting you in that position. I really had no right then to ask it of you."

"So do you think I should not do it... not risk it?" Nicolas inquired, continuing to play with the waffles on his plate and not look at Cecily.

"If it were between you and some bloke they'd send from the ministry that that poor girl doesn't know from adam...then yes, I'd rather it'd be you. To what cost though, I honestly don't know. I don't want to see you, or her, hurt in this," she said earnestly, looking at him.

"Well, I'm at no risk it would seem." Nicolas corrected, "Sophia says there is no way her mother would have cursed her mind, so it's just a question of how much Sophia trusts me and how powerful her mother is magically."

"I couldn't think of anyone who could help her better than you can." Her words were honest and earnest.

"But do you think it's worth the risk? What if her parents had changed something for good reason?" Nicolas asked, this had been one of the many questions he had been asking himself about it for sometime.

"What could they want to keep from her?" Cecily stopped, her eyes widening. She lowered her voice. "Sometimes I think Bearse did me a favor, hiding that night he-left- from me. The things he did," her throat closed up, she looked away and quickly composed herself. Clearing her throat, she spoke. "You're right...there could be a reason, a good reason."

'Great, I'm back where I started' Nicolas thought. He had been unsure about helping Sophia for a while and this made him even more unsure. "Then I'll leave her be?" He asked, unsure.

"It's ultimately your call," she said quietly, giving his hand a squeeze. "What does your gut, or," she grinned sadly, "your auror sense tell you?"

"It tells me my waffles are dead." Nicolas stated, dropping his fork back onto his plate and the mangled waffles that he had yet to actually take a bite of.

Cecily's bright laughter rang out through the echoing hall. She covered her mouth with her hand, giggling, her green eyes bright with mirth. "Well, then," she managed to recover enough to say, "perhaps it's time to leave the hapless waffles to the house-elfs and hie ourselves off to our first lessons of the day."

"It's only second years, they can read their text books and jinx each other without my being there." Nicolas stated, a mock pout on his face as he turned to look at Cecily again for one of the few times that morning.

"And blow each other up with hexes learned from older siblings," she teased, lightly tapping his chin with her finger. She looked into his brown eyes and found herself to be genuinely happy that morning, even with the ever looming owl she had to send.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back