Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
With just a few days of the Christmas holidays left, Monty had decided he couldn't put off his essential shopping any longer, and made a trip to Obsidian Harbour especially for the Apothecary. Besides his own personal business, he'd also been asked by the school to pick up a few supply-cupboard ingredients, for which he would later be reimbursed. Carrying two large paper bags, the Potions professor stepped out of the shop and onto the cobbled street of Obsidian Harbour. A scattering of parents and children milled about in front of window displays, but for the time of year, it was pleasantly quiet. Adjusting his hold on the bags, Monty set off in a stroll up the street, enjoying the New Zealand sunlight on his face and breathing in the fresh, calm air.

It had been some time since Ava had been in her dog form. She couldn't find the will power or motivation to do it, and when she had spare moments from looking after her kids, she wanted to sleep, not pounce around as a dog. Luckily, Braxton and his wife Connie loved looking after the kids. He was quite pushy and insistent on her needing days off and time to herself. Today, Ava didn't feel like sleeping. She felt like taking advantage of the beautiful weather. She didn't really want to do anything in particular, but being able to run around without worrying about bumping into anyone was a great idea. So off Ava went, in Golden Retriever form, running around and thoroughly enjoying herself. Some people were a bit concerned about a doggo without an owner, but Ava just showed off her cool tricks before having a quick dip in the beach. Swimming as a dog was a lot easier than as a human. Upon leaving the beach, still dripping with sea water and sand, Ava's dog eyes found someone familiar. There weren't a lot of people that she felt like stopping for, but she let out a happy woof upon seeing Monty and took off towards him, bounding up to him, jumping up to him, expecting him to catch her. Yes, in full golden retriever form.

Monty heard a distant woof, and spotted the dog, but didn't pay much attention to either until the enormous, soaking-wet Golden Retriever started to bound right toward him. The Potions professor froze, still clutching his paper bags, memories of his less-than-fond childhood experience with a large dog flashing across his eyes, and before he could so much as turn to run, or throw himself out of the way, the Retriever launched herself right into his chest. Able to see nothing but a flash of claws and teeth, Monty dropped his bags, stumbling backwards under the dog's weight and grabbing for his wand. Not wanting to hurt the dog - only stop her from ripping his face off, or whatever it was she intended to do - Monty cast Impedimenta, hoping the five-second effects of the weak slowing spell would give him time to grab his bags and make a break for it.

The man had seemingly frozen, in which Ava expected was to prepare to catch her, but as he fell backwards on her jump, Ava felt her body grow sluggish and slow, almost freezing in midair, but Ava realized she was still slowly falling down. He had cast a spell on her! She tried to emit a sound but with the five seconds up she fell flat to the ground before standing up on four paws and shaking the affects off. What a terrible feeling! She tried to shout his name, asking what in merlin he did that for, but only when it came out as a bark, she remembered she was still in dog form. Now barking at him.

With another flick of his wand, Monty summoned his bags, and, relieved to see nothing had fallen out of them, turned on his heel and started to run in the opposite direction. He really wanted to apparate, but he wasn't willing to take that risk when his mind was in such a panic, and splinching was so easy to do. The dog was barking, now, but Monty didn't turn around to see whether she'd given chase. He just ran, hardly caring that everybody was staring at him as he passed them. They weren't the ones being attacked by a savage dog!!

As Monty started to run, Ava cursed herself for getting them into such a debacle. In a few seconds, she had made up her mind to chase him as a dog; her human legs were too slow to catch up to him, or to get in front of him so she can stop him, even though a dog chasing you was never fun, she'd be sure to explain what was going on as soon as he stopped and she could transform back. Ava took chase, calling at him to stop, then blaming her baby brain for forgetting, yet again, that she was still barking. She didn't still have baby brain, she was often just daft and forgetful. She must be getting old. Thankfully, Ava managed to get in front of Monty, but went a couple of steps forward just in case before setting her mind straight and transforming to her human body. She felt her bones restructure and the fur turn into a yellow dress, covering her as she lay on the ground, out of breath in front of Monty. She couldn't help but laugh.

When Monty finally dared a glance over his shoulder, he nearly tripped over. The dog was right behind him! But... she was running past. Monty quickly braked, watching in astonishment as the Golden Retriever turned around in front of him and suddenly began to transfigure. Even with Ava lying on the ground in front of him, laughing, it took the professor a moment to put the pieces together. Panting, he rolled his head back. "Ava! You...?" How could he have forgotten Ava was an animagus? In his blind panic, all he'd managed to think was that he was about to get bitten. "Oh, God," he said, the embarrassment quickly settling in. Tucking both bags under one arm, he offered Ava a hand to help her up. "I completely forgot. My entire life just flashed before my eyes!" Despite it all, Monty started laughing as well. "I'm so sorry. What are you doing in the harbour? Are you shopping, or is scaring the locals a full-time hobby, now?"

Ava gladly took Monty's hand as he helped her up, still chuckling about the situation. "No - no, I'm sorry!" Ava exclaimed through her laughter, her hand clutching her hip, the stitch a mixture of running and laughing. "I didn't mean to scare you - or chase you - or, or bark!" Ava laughed again. "As it seems, scaring the locals is probably the best answer for this situation. I was just going for a swim, and I got excited when I saw you." Ava explained to Monty, finally having control over her laughter. "What about you? Do you always jinx poor, unsuspecting dogs?" Ava teased back.

Monty made sure Ava was steady on her feet before letting her go, still laughing. The fact she hadn't meant to bark at him made the situation all the more hilarious. That was, until he remembered he'd jinxed Ava. "Oh - I am so sorry," he said again, though he suspected this made them about even. His jacket was wet where she'd thrown herself at him, expecting to be caught. "Only if they launch themselves at my face. I'm actually petrified of dogs - not that I need to tell you that, now." Half of Obsidian Harbour knew it. "If you don't have to head off immediately, would you like to stop somewhere for a drink? Or an ice-cream, perhaps?" Monty bit his cheek to keep himself from laughing again. "It would be lovely to catch up."

Ava shook her head, with a small laugh. "No I suppose you don't need to tell me - but - why haven't you ever said anything? Is it because of it being my animagus form?" Ava asked, not accusingly, just curious. "And, I wasn't launching at your face! You were meant to catch me!" She laughed. At Monty's suggestion of drinks she went to nod her head, until he mentioned ice cream; a never-ending long standing joke between them, that she was sure she'd never live down; especially after his prank Christmas present where she thought she was actually going to be eating nice chocolate for a change. She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure that I want a drink with someone who gives me false chocolate flavors." Ava teased, before slipping out her wand to dry her clothes and hair. "That sounds wonderful Monts, but I'm going to buy this time, okay?"

Monty gave a timid shrug. "I haven't told anybody, actually. It isn't my proudest feature." Lots of people had been bitten by a dog - only a few developed a life-long fear of them. He wasn't so afraid that he crossed the road if a dog came down the street toward him, but he certainly didn't stop to pet it, either. He laughed again, glad that Ava wasn't annoyed with him for having jinxed her. He really could be a terrible friend, as she reminded him by mentioning the chocolate he'd given her for Christmas - chilli flavoured, disguised in different packaging. "I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about," he said, his giggle suggesting otherwise. "And the gentleman in me demands I protest. At least let me pay for my own. Shall we stop here?" Monty gestured to the Leaky Cauldron, which they had most conveniently stopped a dozen yards from.

Ava gently placed her hand on Monty's shoulder when he said he hadn't told anyone about his fear. "It's totally fine Monts, there are lots of people scared of dogs! I'm scared of worms, and they're going to do a lot less to me than a dog would." She chuckled. Ava shook her head when Monty pretended not to know what she was talking about, but she knew better! She was definitely going to have to get him back at some point; maybe show up at the Yule Ball and make him wear his pink sparkly jacket. "Fine, I'm not going to complain if you want to pay for your own. And yes, this is perfect." Ava grinned, linking arms with her friend and walking into the Leaky Cauldron, for an afternoon of laughs and reminiscing.
FIN​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back