At the Herrogard

Tristan smiled in amusement as he looked back to his father- as per usual, he was getting under his skin. Shrugging chiseled shoulders, he replied simply, "I was wondering if anything specific was planned. Just out of general interest. I like to know what my daughter is up to from time to time."

His lip twisting in a smirk, he added, "Also, I was just curious to know what was going to happen when they find out. Because, you know, Far, it will happen eventually."

Sarah listened to the men's exchange, knowing exactly what Tristan was insinuating. She wondered about how they were going to explain her presence in the home as well, but left that matter up to Valcan. It was his home, and he needed to make decisions that affected his grandchildren on his own. She was willing to be a sounding board for him, like she had been on many issues, but was not going to pipe up on this one.

She decided to let Tristan know that she was in on things, hoping that Valcan would not get upset with her. Sarah took his right arm in her left hand, slowly running her fingers down the inside of his sleeved arm, right over the place where his Dark Mark was located. She gave Tristan a knowing look, hoping he was not as dense as he acted most of the time.

Valcan's golden eyes narrowed at Tristan, turning up his chiseled jaw at him as Sarah moved her hand up his arm, displaying to him the very obvious. The older man in the room sighed, although he was very far from being decrepit. He would rue the day that ever happened. Old age would not consume him, as far as he was concerned.

"What do you think, Tristan? What did you do over the summers? Merlin, are not Ravenclaws supposed to be clever? You sure are a poor example of one."

His lips thinned as he responded, "There already is something in order. Now, son of mine, what is your real business here?" He was more than a bit irritated by his eldest son's presence; the two even these days were not on any good terms.

Tristan fought the urge to light up a cigar, nodding to Sarah and admitting defeat. For now, at least. He smirked as he looked to his father, twiddling with a galleon that he had left in his pocket. His ice blue eyes trailing between the two, he felt incredibly unwelcome, as always. But where besides Blackthorn Estate could he go?

Ignoring the usual insults, his brow furrowed, he took in the information, which was really rather useless. "Sheer boredom, I suppose. If there were any actual assignments I wouldn't be here to impose upon your life, Far." He smirked, tapping his large fingers on the table, his eyes falling impulsively on the ring from his grandfather, Lycan, that he cherished. Unlike his father he had admired Lycan quite much, and one could say that he had even loved him. But Lycan had died when Tristan was eleven, under rather mysterious circumstances.

Sarah looked at Tristan with a bit of concern in her eyes. She was surprised that he had messed up his life so badly that he had nothing to do at all. She hugged Valcan a bit tighter, glad to have him back in her life, and made a quick decision to reach out to his son. "If you want, you can hang out here for the day. I am going to be doing some reading in the library while your father is at work. Nothing horribly special, but as far as I am concerned, you are welcome to stay and kill your boredom. That is if that is alright with your father." She looked up at her lover, not sure what his reaction would be to her offer, but hoped that he would realize she was trying to be nice for a change. Plus, Sarah wanted to know more about exactly what he knows of their relationship and who blew their cover to Daisy and Lief.

Tristan's ice blue eyes flickered in surprise as Sarah spoke, almost seemingly in his favor. It seemed almost odd considering that she was figuratively spitting poison at him before. What is she up to? he thought suddenly, harboring an immediate suspicion of his father's lover, or Mistress, as she could probably be called. Why the change of heart?

Looking to his father in obvious amusement, he nodded to Sarah, wondering what Valcan had to say. A smirk was cut across his chiseled face as he awaited a reply.

Valcan looked to Sarah, wondering what exactly she was planning on doing. However, he trusted her more than he trusted Tristan- if she had something good in mind he supposed that he could let it get by. At least for now.

"I suppose I see no problem with it," he said gruffly, looking between the two. He figured that it would be best to get to work soon; he didn't have any definite time to be there but being prompt was always important to him.

Sarah laughed inwardly, knowing that she planned to grill Tristan when he started to feel comfortable enough with her today. She turned her face to look at Valcan, speaking to him with a smile. "I think I am going to head off and find a good book to read. Are you going to be here for a bit yet, darling, or are you heading to work?" Or do we want to go upstairs and finish what we started? she thought, a devilish smile being the only sign of what she was thinking.

Valcan shook his head as he looked to his watch, almost woefully. "Actually, Sarah; I should probably be heading to work." He gave her a light kiss on the forehead, looking with a glance of disapproval to Tristan. "I should return later- Early if possible." Giving Sarah a smile, he disapparated as he rose out of his chair.

Sarah smiled as Valcan kissed her, and watched him dissappear. She picked up her cup of coffee, and turning to Tristan stated. "I am off to the library to find a book to read today. You may join me if you wish, or do whatever it is that you came here to do today." With that, she turned towards the door and walked into the hallway.

Tristan snickered a bit as Valcan glared at him- He wasn't exactly the rebellious teenager anymore, now was he? Heck, he had succumbed to the Death Eaters and still, he never seemed good enough for his father.

He watched as Valcan disapparated, nodding to Sarah as she left the room. What else did he have to do today anyway? With a heaving sigh he kicked back in the chair, becoming easily bored of his surroundings.

Rising from his seat and pushing his chair in, Tristan swaggered down the hallway to the dining room and across to the library, where he found Sarah, browsing for a book. "Found anything good?" he inquired, amusement tinging his voice. He figured that he could find a book to read also- the Ravenclaw in him was rather dominant sometimes.

Sarah turned with a start to hear Tristan's voice, dropping a copy of Crime and Punishment in the process with a huge thud. She was on the ladder and looking for a classic to read. "My goodness. You should not sneak up on people like that. You seem to be making that a bad habit."

She took in a deep breath, then continued. "Sorry. That was a bit sassy. Are you planning on reading anything in particular?" She climbed down the ladder and grabbed the book she dropped. Placing it on the table for the elves to reshelve, she picked up a well-worn copy of an Irish novel, PS I Love You and crossed the room to her favorite chaise to settle in and read.

Tristan smirked as Sarah snapped at him, and then apologized for it, his winning grin breaking out on his face. No matter what, when he was around women, he exuded a charm that was not always good for his well being considering his situation. He was in and out of relationships, one after the other; he could have even lost count at this point. Morgase had been the one he had had any true affection for, and now, that relationship had seemed to fail, too.

His ice blue eyes twinkling, he stated smoothly, "Not really anything in particular. There's too many books here as far as I'm concerned; you can only ever really read anything once, because there's so many."

He picked a volume of stories that were written entirely in Norwegian off of the shelf, figuring that he could pick up on it again; he was a bit rusty with the language, of course.

Sarah watched as Tristan picked up a book himself. "I tend to reread a few of my favorites. Saves me the trouble of searching for new ones." She adjusted herself to face him more directly. "So how is your son doing?"

Tristan shrugged. He hadn't had much time for reading books until recently in his life. "Erik?" A lump grew in his throat, and he replied slowly, "He is alright, I suppose." The truth was he had not seen Erik nor Morgase in months, as it hurt him every time to go back and see her, knowing that at this point in time they couldn't be together.

Sarah had raised the book and started reading while Tristan spoke. She heard the hurt in his voice when he spoke of Erik, and she wondered if there was something going on. "What's wrong?" she asked in her best motherly voice. "I am a pretty good listener and problem solver. Something I can help you work out?"

Tristan shook his head. "Nothing." He stated simply, not wishing to speak of Morgase or Erik, especially since Morgase had left the Death Eaters. He didn't want her, or his son, hurt for that matter.

Trying to change the subject, he stated, "Is that a good story?" He pointed to the book she was holding.

Sarah indicated the novel she was holding. "This? Yes. It is one of my favorites. Great chick lit. I did sneak a peak at the movie one time. Not the greatest in comparison to the book." She smiled and pointed to the book in Tristan's hands. "Are you able to read that?"

Tristan was glad that Sarah was willing to switch to a different subject and not persist like many would have done. He nodded as she talked about her book, knowing that he definitely wouldn't enjoy something like that.

He held up the book in his large hand. "This? I've never read it before- But I should be able to understand most of it though. Far's not too happy that I'm a bit rusty with the home language." It was true, Tristan's accent had been almost completely consumed by British, suffocating the Norwegian that one had to strain to pick out.

"Ah, well that would be a good idea then. You definately want to keep on your father's good side." Sarah picked up the book and started reading about Holly and Gerry. A few chapters in, she put the book down on her lap, deciding now was as good a time as any to start to ask questions.

"So, I have been meaning to ask you about something," she started a bit tenetively. She was better at getting information out of people by playing innocent and was pretty good at it too.

Tristan snorted a bit as she made a comment about his father- and gave her a rather sly grin. He was nearly 42, for Merlin's sake; he didn't have to answer to his father anymore, that was for sure.

He raised his eyebrows at Sarah, inquiring, "And what might that be?" He was rather amused at the moment, having been in a rather good mood most of the day.

Sarah took a deep breath and tried to make herself look a bit nervous. "I was wondering who was the one to discover about your father and I at Christmas. I swear that I heard a child laughing in our doorway that morning. I was wondering if it was Erik." She kept fidgiting, making herself look more nervous.

Tristan choked a bit, on air no less, as Sarah asked him the rather uncomfortable question. He shifted where he sat, unable to keep a mischievious twinkle out of his eye. "Well- the walls weren't terribly thick-" he stated nervously.

Sarah forced a blush to her cheeks. "Ah, well, um, yeah." she stammered out. "That was not the plan at all that night. I was just going downstairs to look for a book to read." She tried to look more uncomfortable than she had before. "So, do you know who it was that told my daughter about what happened? Was it you? Erik?"

Tristan's eyes flickered with intense amusement, attempting to stifle a loud laugh as he choked, "Well, if you hadn't been inclined to snog with the door open for everyone to see Erik wouldn't have told." He drew in a deep breath, attempting to get rid of the impulse to bray out in laughter. The whole situation was rather amusing to him- he had known about the affair before, when he was young, but he never would have expected it now. "And besides, I think everyone saw you at one point or another over the holiday."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back