At the Herrogard

Sarah listened to Tristan, and then felt herself blush red. Then she burst out laughing. "Yeah. I knew that Erik had to have been the one to giggle when the door was open, but your father thought there was nothing to worry about. This is all his fault you know. He started it." She laughed and then took a deep breath. "I need to figure out how to make peace with Daisy and Lief. I feel bad about how that happened, but she also has no idea about my past with Valcan. No one does."

Tristan snorted a bit. "Well- if you're talking about say, some fifteen years ago, almost no one does." He was not exactly surprised that Valcan was the one to start it, but he shrugged it off. Sarah was just as guilty as his father in his eyes, whether Daisy approved or no."

Now he was attempting to get that horrible afternoon after auror training out of his head, ages ago, before his first child was born, when he had walked in on something rather unsavory.

Sarah had not been expecting to hear that. "What do you mean? Almost? Do you know something about what happened in the past?" She kept her initial shocked look as long as she could. Her brain was already turning, trying to figure out just what and how Tristan would know anything.

A wicked smirk curled the corners of Tristan's mouth, stroking the tiny bit of stubble on his chin as he wondered what exactly he should divulge, or the way he should word this. "Well- I think I was the only one to find out-" He was silent for a moment, pondering on how he should speak.

His ice blue eyes flickered back to Sarah. "Let's just say I knew you two were together when Daisy and Lief barely knew each other. Young'uns in school, I should say."

Sarah raised her eyebrows as Tristan spoke. "Really? Interesting. Does your Father know about that bit of information?" She was curious if Valcan knew that Tristan had seen them before, or if he knew now what she was finding out.

Tristan's mouth curled up into a sinister grin, as if pulled by an invisible hook, shifting in his seat as he snapped his book shut. "If he does, I'm not aware of it." He shrugged, adding, "Nor do I really care."

He never had really had a high respect for his father, and even now that was exuded in his mannerisms. He was polite when he had to be, of course, but the frosty relationship between the two had possibly stretched even further over the years with the actions of the younger.

Sarah was not surprised at Tristan's reaction to her question. She knew over the years there was a breakdown in their relationship, and understood that Tristan's actions were the catalyst of that issue. She composed her look to one of cold indifference before she spoke again.

"I would like to know exactly what it is that you know and also how much you have informed my daughter of. I believe that I am worth at least that amount of information, even if you don't care what your father thinks." She closed her book as she spoke, setting it on the table next to the chaise by her mug of coffee. Sarah pulled her legs up under her a bit more, sitting up just a bit straighter. "Besides there is more to the story that no one besides your father and me know about. Things that made me willing to reunite with your father." She fought the memory of what she had recently discovered herself, the bit of information that no one was allowed to know. Not just yet.

"Me informing her?" Tristan started, "You do know what a horrible job of keeping that a secret you guys did? Trust me, it wasn't all me, and you know that as well as I do." He twiddled his fingers, looking about the library and wondered where Pjotr was, the oldest elf in the house- he was in charge of the library. He hadn't spoken to the old crone in quite some time- he was quite surprised the wizened old elf was still alive, having lived through generations of Drages.

His ice blue eyes drew back to the woman, wondering how much he should tell her. He did not particularly feel like explaining himself to Sarah, stating, "She knows what she knows." He shrugged, not exactly wanting to speak of the situation. It was embarrassing enough as it was.

Sarah glared at Tristan. "Well aren't you just so helpful. You have no idea what the whole story is and will likely never know." She rolled her eyes, wondering what exactly his issue was. "What exactly is your problem anyways? Does it bug you when others have happy relationships?" She picked her book back up and opened it to where she was and began to read, not really caring anymore what Tristan had to say.

Tristan rolled his eyes, his voice deep and sarcastic. "Maybe I don't feel obligated to be telling you all of this? As far as I'm concerned, you are having an affair with Far, and that is that. You need to find a way to sort this out with your daughter yourself- Maybe you should make the effort to talk to her instead of trying to squeeze some rather unrelevant information out of me?"

He stood from his chair, retreating to the bookshelf to put the Norwegian title away, not exactly in the mood to read anymore. After what had happened with Thorine the previous day, something that he would never divulge to anyone and the real reason he had had to escape here, he felt an incredible load of shame weighing down on his shoulders, trying to brush Sarah's comment about happy relationships away. He wondered if she was going to say anything in retort.

"Maybe if she would talk to me I wouldn't have to try to get information out of you. I guess I will have to be patient with her since you are useless." With that, she slammed her book shut, stood and stomed out of the library. Just outside the door, she turned on the spot and apperated back to the bedroom suite she shared with Valcan.

Sarah set the book down on the coffee table in the room, then sank down into the sofa. Her head dropped into her hands and she began to sob. She was so frustrated with the way things went with Daisy. Sarah was happy for the first time in a long time, and she wanted her daughter to be part of that. She sat in dispair, not sure what to do next. She had really hoped to get some information out of Tristan about her grandchildren at the least. At least, Gilderoy had not shown the pair what she knew. That she would have heard about by now.

Useless? Tristan thought to himself as Sarah tore out of the room, fuming, not deeming it necessary to say anymore to her. If she was going to insult him, now he most definitely wasn't going to take any leaps to help her out. She could sort it out with Daisy herself as far as he was concerned; he didn't feel like being the messenger owl. And in any case, his father was her lover; he could sort through her problems, not expect his son to.

Stretching his arms, he cracked his knuckles with a pop, wondering what he should go about doing. A walk outside, perhaps? Even with his wand he was wary about going into the forest himself, so he could probably just skirt about the edges.

Strolling out of the library, unable to find Pjotr for a quick chat, as he hadn't seen the old crone in years, he took a left out into the courtyard, deciding not to leave the outskirts of the Herrogard after all. The spring's flowers were just dying and summers were flourishing, claiming their territory in the potted soil. Flowers never lasted long at the Herrogard; with the terminally cold weather, they only survived a few weeks before the seemingly eternal winter reclaimed them.

He moved to the edge of the railing, looking up into the beautifully blue skies, considering what Sarah had said to him. Was he useless? Probably. Morgase had left him partly for that, he supposed. He was useless as a companion, and he had pretty much failed being a father.

And then, there was the mess with Thorine to consider. Did he not even have control of himself? His ice blue eyes fell to the churning lake under the railing, the waves pushing and pulling against the rock wall consistently. He wondered if he would ever be as consistent as that lake was, completely unchanged over the nearly forty-two years of his life yet more trustworthy than he was known to be.

A few hours later, Sarah was still in the bedroom. She had sent for lunch earlier and had simply picked at it. She was still dwelling on the issue with Daisy. She missed her and her family so much it hurt, but then she should have been honest with her from the start. Gilderoy had been the love of her life at one time, but then turned out to be just like the rest of the men she had been with. He broke his word with her, cheated on her all the time, and only stopped by to see his daughter. It was no wonder that she had fallen for Valcan all those years ago.

Things were wonderful with them until she found out about Iduna, his wife. She had no idea that they were still married when they had met on the platform after dropping off their children for school. When they broke things off, she had feared for her life for a time. Valcan was a man who was not to be angered, and the whole breakup had angered him. It was his idea from the start, but she still laid low. Until Daisy came home and announced that she was pregnant with Valcan's grandchildren, she had hopes of never seeing him again. Not that she didn't want to, she still loved him after all, but to maintain her sanity.

Sarah walked over to the window, looking out over the land surrounding the home. Home was really an understatement, but that is what she was starting to think of this place. She had lived here since the blow up over the holidays. She sighed, not quite sure how yet to fix this mess, but knowing that she needed to somehow.

Persephone had returned to clean up after her Master's Mistress, knowing that she should be done eating by now. Her ears pricked up as she entered the room, noticing that the woman seemed quite forlorn, and had not eaten all her food. It had to be cold by now.

"Is everything in order Miss Sarah?" the house elf inquired, hoping that she had not contributed to anything going wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back