Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
27.94 cm Applewood, slightly springy, unicorn hair core
This was Lyla's first visit to England since moving back to New Zealand. She had come back to visit her mom and sister who remained in England to pursue their career in journalism. Ah, journalism. Lyla had nothing wrong with journalism or journalist, but she didn't feel that was really her path to be on. She wanted to help people, physically help people, not write about things. I could do persuasive political journalism.

Lyla was sitting on a stool at the bar in The Leaky Cauldron. The place was fairly empty this time of day and she wished somebody would show up so she could conversate. She picked up the whiskey glass in front of her, taking a sip. The warming sensation of the firewhiskey trickled down her throat as she sat the glass back down. Lyla could have stayed at her mother's house while she visited or her sister's, but she decided on getting a room at The Leaky Cauldron so she would have her own private space.

She wanted to be a part of the action. She wanted to be the one they wrote stories about, not that she cared about the fame, but she wanted to be on the other side. Lyla wants to be a part of the heroes. The pressure to pursue a career was falling on her shoulders, especially after the visit with her mom. Lyla had just recently gotten a job at The Medley in New Zealand as a bartender and she was content with the job while she explored her options. She was really interested in working at the Ministry of Magic as an obliviator or as a part of the accidental magic reversal squad. Those jobs always fascinated her and she did well enough on her N.E.W.T.'s to get the job, but she hesitated in making a jump that bold yet.

Lyla wasn't one to think about her actions before leaping into them, that's why she suddenly moved back to New Zealand after graduating Hogwarts. She wasn't really prepared to be an adult yet, but she was 25 and it was time to grow up.

A bell above the door of the pub chimed announcing the new arrival of somebody. Snapping out of her thoughts, Lyla looked up to see who entered.

"Hello." She chimed a little tipsy. "Would you like a drink?" Lyla was usually this outgoing, but she was just desperate for a conversation today. The barkeep had wondered off to the backroom, pursumedly irritated with Lyla's constant conversation.

Last edited:
Giovanna paid the babysitter and said good-bye to her daughter. She couldn't wait until Seraphina was old enough to attend school so she wouldn't have to deal with all of this anymore. It wasn't that she regretted having her... the kid just made it impossible to have the social life Giovanna wanted. After attending a grueling meeting with yet another new fashion designer trying to make their way in the business, she decided she needed a drink. Or a shot. It was hard to tell at this point. She flattened out her dress as she walked out of the meeting and made her way down the street to find any place that could at least provide her with alcohol and a bite to eat. She opened the door of a particularly interesting pub and was instantly greeted by a young woman asking her if she wanted a drink. Giovanna scoffed and walked towards the bar. "I think I'll get my own, but you might want to take it slow," she told the young woman, immediately turning away and asking for a firewhisky. She took a seat on the stool in front of her and stared at the girl. She couldn't have been much younger than her, but she seemed to have an innocence about her that Giovanna had never truly had. She placed her purse up on the counter and started to search for her mirror to check her make-up and hair.

Lyla looked at the blonde who had entered wearing a black and white dress. She watched as the girl ordered herself a drink, declining Lyla's offer, and then started the woman pulled out a mirror. "Firewhisky is a good choice." She declared.

Her eyes shifted back behind the bar as she felt that last bit she drank start to take effect. She wasn't sure if the woman was interested in conversation but seeing as she had the effects of alcohol in her, she was going to attempt again.

"I like your dress."

Sorry for the delay. I have had a wild week.

Giovanna combed back a few loose hair with her fingers and wiped away some of the eyeshadow migrating elsewhere on her face. She ignored the girl's response about firewhiskey and continued to look at herself in the mirror. Her crow's feet were becoming more prominent over the last year. She really needed to make a visit to St. Mungo's to deal with that. When the girl complimented her dress, she paused, snapped her compact shut, and turned toward the woman. "Of course it is. It's designer." She stared seriously at the girl and then gave a loud laugh. "What's your drink?" she asked. The woman was clearly well into her evening, but Giovanna was always a person that contributed to a good time.

Lyla was slightly intimidated by the woman's look and attitude, but she relaxed a little when the lady laughed. I wonder if she only wears designer clothes. She always found it fascinating when people wore designer clothes, there was usually a story behind it. Lyla owned a few pieces herself but tended to dress more of a retro casual style.

"Firewhiskey, of course!" Lyla exclaimed. "It's my favorite and my go-to."

Siobhan downed her glass of firewhiskey and raised her hand high to the bartender. "Two more firewhiskeys over here!" she yelled, pointing her finger to where they were sitting. She took the glasses for the bartender, handing one of them over to the women, and gestured her hands in a cheering motion. "Here's to a good night," she declared, taking a sip of her drink before setting it down on the bartop. "So, what's your name, and what brings you to this fine establishment?" she asked, crossing her legs and leaning towards the woman on the barstool. She glanced at her watch and realized that it was getting close to the time she had told the sitter she would be returning for the evening. Luckily, it was a sitter who was used to Giovanna becoming distracted and not returning until the early hours of the morning or the next day. She took another sip of her firewhiskey and pushed a rogue strand of hair behind her ear.

Lyla watched the girl finish off her drink and order more. "To a good night." She agreed, cheering with the woman and taking a sip. Setting her glass back down on the counter, she turned towards the lady. Lyla typically visited The Leaky Cauldron, it was her hangout spot when she lived in England.

"I'm Lyla. What's yours?" She held out her hand towards the woman. "I came back to town to visit my mother and sister, just moved back to New Zealand a few weeks ago. I forgot a few things, so I picked those up as well."

Giovanna listened as Lyla explained why she was in New Zealand and gave her a small smile. She wondered what it would be like to still have family around. Her mother resided in Italy, planning social events and living it up with other elderly, high society witches. Giovanna rarely saw her anymore and had hoped that her mother might consider moving with her eventually. However, she was sure that her mother may not approve of her current lifestyle. She quickly brushed the somber thoughts aside and continued speaking with this woman. "Greetings Lyla, I'm Vanna. Do you enjoy being closer to your family?" She was trying to keep her drinking to a minimum this evening. She set her glass down on the bartop and decided to engage in the conversation with this girl.

"Nice to meet you, Vanna." Lyla replied taking a sip of her drink. "I do enjoy being near family, although my mom can be overwhelming." She said with a soft laugh.

Lyla loved both her parents, but there was a reason she moved back to New Zealand. "I moved back to New Zealand because my dads here and my younger brother. Luckily, I have family both places." She was grateful for her family, but her dad was a muggle and so was her brother. He didn't quite connect to her world like her mom and sister, but he loved her all the same.

"What about you? Are you close to family?" Lyla asked Vanna.

Giovanna listened as Lyla described her family situation. It was honestly rather boring so far, and Giovanna hated small talk. However, if she dug deep enough, she may be able to uncover some gossip that would do well for a story. The poor girl would have no idea. "Oh, that's very convenient," she said, putting her best smile forward. "So, what all does your family do for work? Anyone with the Ministry?" She always tried to give a person her assumption that they were from a fully magical family. Most of the time, people appreciated that, but she wasn't sure how the girl would react to the statement. She thought about how to answer regarding her family. She very rarely mentioned her daughter to anyone. Even though she couldn't wait for her to get out of the house and go to school, she did love the girl and wanted to keep her safe, seeing as Giovanna's line of work could leave the door open for some unfornatunate things getting back to Seraphina. Her daughter was only eight but had experienced too much heartbreak as it was. "My family currently lives in Italy. My mother is a socialite, and my father passed away a few years ago unexpectedly." Part of what she said was true, but part of what she expressed was definitely a lie. She very rarely gave the full truth in the case that it lead to her demise.

Lyla was used to telling the same story about her family, nothing was too out of ordinary. "My mother and sister are in journalism, they want me to get into it as well." She said. "Nobody in the ministry yet, but I hope to be the first."

Lyla took a sip of her drink. "My father is a plumber and my brother is in secondary school." She didn't want to outright tell the Vanna they were muggles but hoped that would be enough for her to assume.

"I'm sorry to hear about your father,"
Lyla said with a sympathetic look. "I have gone to Italy quite a few times, mostly for sailing. Phlegraean Islands, Naples is one of my favorite spots to sail. Have you ever been sailing?"

Vanna wasn't sure whether she should reveal that she too was in journalism (well, almost) or whether she should just let the girl talk about her disdain for the subject. She chose the latter. "Yeah, journalism can be really awful, right? I can't imagine having to deal with all the writing," she said, scoffing. Maybe if the girl said something bad about journalism, Vanna could turn it into an article. She placed her hands on her dress and looked back at Lyla. She was used to people apologizing about her father's death, but it honestly didn't bother her. She had lived so much longer without him than with him that it was almost as if he hadn't really existed. Lyla's comment about sailing made Vanna squint her eyes. Sailing was usually reserved for people with money, and that made her change her tone. "I actually haven't, but it's just becasue I'm busy with other activities. What kind of boat do you have?"

Lyla nodded about the journalist comment. "I really don't have anything against it, it's just not me." She said taking a deep breath. "I just don't like the pressure." Taking another sip of her drink, she kind of stared off at a painting on the wall.

"It's a Jeanneau," Lyla smiled. "It was my grandfather's boat. I used to go sailing with him all the time growing up, he gave me the boat when he got to old to sail."

Giovanna knew nothing about boats but had to assume that Lyla's boat was rather fancy. Even if it wasn't, she figured going along with that thought would make things easier. "That sounds so lovely. Do you have a favorite sailing story?" Her drinks were starting to set in which made her a little more easy going and less on the prowl for a story. She looked into her empty glass and then around the room, hoping that there might be a man that she could dance with. Sadly, she didn't seen anyone that peaked her fancy and turned back to Lyla. "So, what do you say we amp up the fun tonight? What's something you want to do?" Vanna was bored of sitting and wanted to have an adventure, as much as her intoxicated state would let her.

Lyla finished off her drink. "Favorite sailing story.." She hummed for a moment to herself. "Honestly, any of them with my grandpa is my favorite. The last time we ever went sailing together it began to rain, we played chess together. It was quite the challenge and I am not very good at chess." Her enjoyment from sailing was the freedom it felt good to be in control of something. She loved going where the wind took her and just feeling the ocean breeze against her skin.

Lyla watched the girl look around the bar. "Well, uh.." She hesitated in her drunken state. An adventure sounded like fun, but she wasn't sure what. "We could walk around and see what happens. Maybe we can find a hidden place." Her sailboat wasn't docked anywhere close. "We could go to my boat, but it is too far to walk." She ordered one more shot and slammed it back quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back