Adventure awaits

Chase laughed at her, "Your full of questions, aren't you. Remind me of my cousin." Chase said, "My full name is Chase Blade, I am not going to the Yule Ball with anybody at this moment in time. If you managed to break a guys jaw, I'm definitely glad your my friend, that would hurt quite a bit coming from you." Chase said and laughed, "As for your other question, I'm in the same house as you." Chase told her, he thought it would have been obvious enough. But still, everybody can't be expected to notice it straight away, he wasn't exactly open about it, "Any more questions?" Chase asked biting into another sandwich.

"Well," said Artemis sheepishly. "He did deserve it. He pushed me down the stairs because he didn't look where he was going and fell on me. It's real easy to do that, I know, but when I tripped him up in return he took a swing at me." she couldn't help but grin at this. Anyone who was stupid enough to try to hit an angry little goblin girl deserved to get socked like he did. "I would never punch 'ye in the jaw, rest assured!"

Art had assumed that he was in Ravenclaw somehow, although he could have been in Gryffindor. But he was very quick so maybe Slytherin, but he had been very kind to her so Hufflepuff might have been... Well it seems like I had no idea at all! thought Artemis. "Sorry, I didn't mean 'ta start quizzing you. My full name's Artemis Blackmoore-Yearling. I'm going to the Yule Ball with the another part-goblin boy," she told him, and her eyes sparkled as she thought of Jareth.

Suddenly Art jumped as a sparrow fluttered down onto her shoulder.

Chase laughed, "I wouldn't put it past you if you were in a bad enough mood." Chase said and laughed. Chase looked at her, "The quizzing doesn't really bother me that much, people with inquisitive minds make good friends because they know when to ask questions and when to not ask questions." Chase said laughing, "I personally don't care if you ask questions about me." Chase told her.

Chase watched as the Sparrow landed on Artemis and she jumped, "Haha." Chase said, he looked at the Sparrow and did an impression of a Sparrow call, holding his arm out, he watched as the Sparrow flew over and landed on his arm, he stretched his finger out and stroked it on the head.

"D'aww," said Artemis involuntarily as he stroked the sparrow. Perhaps that was her weakness; cute things! She wanted a sparrow for herself now, and so let out another light sparrow call. Instead she got something far more welcome. There was a great flapping from above, far away so that it couldn't be heard by Chase just yet, but Art looked up to see what it was. There was a white speck against the blue sky, and it soon came closer as closer until it was almost upon them. It was a large white raven, Artemis's own bird.

"Percy!" said Art, holding out her tiny arm to the simply enormous raven. There it landed, giving her an affectionate tap on the head with his beak.

She dipped her hand into the pocket of her dress to pull out a tiny bag of sunflower seeds. The raven went silly, hopping to and fro on her arm to dive into the bag when she had just untied it. "Whoa, slow down there, feather!" laughed Art. "This is Percy," she said to Chase. "Do you have an owl or suchlike?"

Chase looked at the Raven, "Hello, Percy." Chase looked at the bird, it was snowy, like his cousins owl, but it was a Raven, "A Raven, how fitting for a Ravenclaw." Chase said and laughed. He looked at Artemis, "No, I do not care for pets." Chase said, "I'm not really big on responsibility. I would probably forget to take care of it." Chase told her. He finished his last sandwich and got up, he stroked the Raven and got out his wand, "You ready to start training again?" Chase asked.

Delicately, Art handed Percy the last of her sandwiches and stood up. At her full height she was just about as tall as Chase was sitting down. "Sure!" she answered enthusiastically, but shrank a little when he got out his wand. She had been confident for a little while with spells, but having forgotten them for a moment the nerves returned as she remembered. With a slap, she punched her hand with the other and grinned at him.

It made her feel a little sad that he wasn't one for pets. Animals were basically her life since she didn't speak much to others at Hogwarts. It was why she was doing so well in Care of Magical Creatures.

Off fluttered Percy with a sandwich in his beak and one in his claws to eat in the Owlery. Somehow he had earned his place there as Artemis's letter carrier. Ravens were smart creatures, and so had learned the rules of the tower fairly soon and slotted right in. With on hand, Art beckoned to Chase to attack her, grinning.

Chase looked at her, debating something, "We'll lay off the dueling techniques for a bit, I want to teach you something else." Chase told her, he wanted to teach her how to conjure a Patronus, if she didn't already atleast. Chase whipped his wand out and thought of a happy memory and said, "Expecto Patronum!" and Chase's Eagle Patronus soared out of his wand, "That is one of the reasons I learnt the eagle call, lets see you conjure a Patronus, remember think of a happy memory and then speak the spell." He told her.

"A p-patronus? At my age?" Artemis was shocked. He was expecting too much of her, wasn't he? Artemis was a part-goblin; goblins weren't made for human magic just as humans weren't made for goblin's. This sort of stuff was not impossible for her but highly difficult, and she couldn't help but worry at what Chase would think of her if she couldn't even attempt the spell. "I'm much too young for that," she told him shyly. She hadn't even known the incantation before today.

With wide hazel eyes she watched as he conjured a shimmering eagle from the tip of his wand. It glided above their heads for a moment before returning to Chase, disappearing softly in the breeze. "No, I couldn't do anything like that," said Art nervously. To her utter shame, she couldn't think of a memory happy enough to help her conjure such a spell. Artemis pulled out her wand and, with no confidence at all, said "Expecto Patronum." Nothing. Not even a whisper.

Chase was disappointed, she wouldn't even try it, how was she supposed to learn if she didn't even try, "Concentrate, there has to be a memory you can think of, it's not impossible, even for you." Chase told her, "You may be young but you should still be able to pull it off." Chase said, he pulled out his wand and thought of a happy memory, "Expecto Patronum!" and his Eagle soared out of his wand again, he kept it there in the air, letting it fly around freely, "They are really marvelous, all of them unique." Chase said.

What did he mean, even for me?! Artemis gripped her wand tightly and her screwed up her face. Well, I'll show him! She brushed a clover off her skirt angrily and brandished her wand. All at once, the perfect memory hit her in serendipity. She remembered the joy of seeing her brother alive and well after he was been missing for several weeks, lost in New Zealand. She pictured herself throwing her arms around him, and remembered him picking her up in his strong arms and whirling her around, laughing. Without realising it, her grumpy face had softened and she was beaming. Art lifted her wand in the same motion as Chase, and tried again.

"Expecto Patronum!"

This time there was certainly improvement, for there was a rush of silver smoke from her wand. She squinted, concentrating as hard ash she could to see its form. From what she could tell with her sharp goblin eyesight, it resembled a willy wagtail. "Oh!" she cried in astonishment and joy. "Oh look, something appeared!"

Chase looked at it, he had no idea what it was, "What is it?" Chase asked. He knew she would be able to improve if he just gave her a little bit of persuasion. "See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Chase told her. He pointed at his eagle, "Concentrate harder, this time try for a full body patronus." Chase told her, "I knew you only needed some prodding, nothing is impossible." Chase said and looked towards his eagle, graceful in appearance, he let it fade into nothingness.

Artemis was still terribly nervous, but Chase had given her the drive to try harder at this now. She looked to him and smiled. "It's a bird - a willy wagtail." she told him. It probably wasn't the most majestic of creatures to have as a Patronus, but she was proud that she had one at all. Art swallowed heavily and turned to try again. With wobbly hands but a firm resolve, she steeled herself and tried once more. "Expecto Patronum!"

The time the Patronus' form was thicker and more pronounced as she gripped her wand with both hands. She knew that she wouldn't be able to get a Patronus on the second try ... it was basically physically impossible, but to have progressed from nothing to a definitive shape in minutes was a massive achievement. The little bird flapped a few times before flickering and dying, but Artemis felt like cheering.

Chase looked at her blankly, she was getting really good at this, it may just be a matter of her choosing a stronger memory, or she could still not be concentrating enough, you never know what it could be there are a lot of different variables that could be the reason as to why she couldn't manage to complete it, it was probably just inexperience though, "Nice job. You want to keep practicing or go on with the dueling techniques." Chase asked her. Chase hoped she wanted to get back to the dueling techniques, this was getting boring.

"Nah," said Art with a sigh. "I'm not going to get this right straight away, so I'd rather do somethin' I know I can do," she said to him with a grin that put dimples on both cheeks. "I don't like all this magical mumbo-jumbo and what not, but I'll give it a shot if that what yer more comfortable with." Artemis resolved never to be frightened of her own wand again, but she had to admit that all this magic was doing her head in. There was a sudden sparkle in her eyes as she thought of a much more interesting way to spar - one that Henric had introduced her to.

"Say," began Art as she became enamoured with the thought. "D'ye know how to climb all that well?"

Chase looked at her, a silly look upon his face, "'Course, why would I not? It was something else that was important. So I learnt it." Chase said grinning. He looked at her, "Why do you ask?" Chase was wondering what she could want to do that would involve climbing, Chase knew he would be good at it though, Chase had been good at everything Artemis had presented him with today. He looked at her again and he wanted to see if she would be able to counter something else, he went behind her and locked her arms, leg, and held her head in place with his free arm, "Free yourself." He instructed her.

"I asked because I was thinking of-" began Art, but suddenly Chase was upon her, having pinned her upright in a manner of moments. She really ought to pay more attention to things like this. "Yer not very polite to ladies," she joked as she found even her head immobile now. "Especially ones younger and infinitely smaller than 'ye." Art was basically pinned down although standing, so she did the only thing she could. She corked him in the shins (which would have been his thighs if she were of a normal height) with her lower body. Back they fell, with Art lying on top of Chase and him flat on his back. With that, she was able to kick her legs free and then finally her entire body.

"Because recently I've learned how fun it is to spar whilst in the treetops!" she told Chase excitedly.

(( Sorry about the wait, love ))

Chase burst out laughing, "You always manage to get out, gonna have to start putting body-bind spells on you if you keep this up or I'm never gonna get this to work." Chase joked. Chase was amazed at what she had just said, "...Sparring.. In the... treetops? Oh! I have got to try this!" Chase said excitedly he hadn't a clue what she wanted him to do, but he would try it, and he would like it, he was sure of it, sparring in the treetops had to be fun, it certainly sounded fun, that was for sure. Chase looked at her, "What do I do first?" asked Chase. Chase had forgotten he was lying on the ground so he stood up and stood infront of Artemis, waiting.

"It's really fun!" Artemis told him. She took his hand in her tiny one - her entire fist wrapping around just one of his fingers, and pulled him over towards the tree line in a staggeringly fast past that would have made most people breathless by halfway. Together they reached the line of tall pine trees that edged the grounds, eventually leading into the Forbidden Forest. "Up we go," said Art, and let go of Chase's hand to swing herself into the tree like a monkey.

Half a moment later she stood up, balancing on a long bow. "It's just fighting, only ye're up a tree! 'Ye need balance and coordination, plus a bit of strength 'ta pull yerself out of harms way every now and then. 'Ye lose if you get trapped in any area of the tree, fall, or somehow manage to get yerself pinned!"

This could result in broken bones and whatnot, but then many things could go badly with anything that they were doing. Together they were fast and strong, able to hold their own against each other. "Come up, then!"

Chase looked at her and watched her climb into the tree, it certainly looked like a lot of fun, Chase would find out the rest when he got into the tree himself though, so he grabbed one of the branches and used it to swing himself up into the tree. He stood near her and waited, he would make the first move, but he was trying to decide what that move should be. He decided he would put her in a headlock while forcing her backwards, towards the center of the tree.

He moved towards her ducking out of sight through the tree, using the branches to his advantage, he appeared behind her and grabbed her arms and held her legs with his leg, while putting one arm behind her back and keeping out of reach of her head, he held her lower body in place with his free knee, "Free yourself before I get you to the centre of the tree or I will pin you." Chase told her and started towards the center.

"How many arms do 'ye have?" exclaimed Artemis in exasperation. But this time though she was in her domain, and the tree's maze of branches was her friend.

Without hesitation, she pushed off with her feet and together they fell backwards. Chase would have to let go or be dashed against the lethal bows. As she fell, she wrapped her now free legs around a tree branch and swung herself upside down. Chase had fallen off her of course, and whilst upside down she gripped both of his arms to catch him as he fell. All that glitters is not gold, though. For Art had both saved him and swung him into a branch that knocked into his stomach.

Giving herself a swing, Artemis righted herself and swung up to balance on the branch again, skipping up the tree as though it were an escalator. "Catch me if 'ye can!" she laughed, burying herself into the spikey leaves of a branch higher up.

Chase laughed at her, "I only have two, I have just learnt how to make use of my legs as well." Chase told her, he then found himself being flung off her back and shoved into a tree, he gasped as he hit the tree and awaited his breathe to come back to him, he then looked at Artemis, "Having fun there?" Chase asked her. Chase jumped up to the branch above and kept climbing, swinging around behind her, he kicked her in the back and into a branch near her, he landed where she had been and looked at her, "Don't let your guard down." Chase told her and began swinging around the branches again, swinging up and down not staying on any particular level more then once.

She hadn't expected him to recover so fast, but was still thrilled that he did. Just like he was, she found herself knocked into a tree branch opposite her. Far from being felled, Artemis had been expecting this and so managed to swing herself around so as to not get winded. Even so, it was hard work clinging on like that, and so she sprung up once more to follow Chase up the tree.

They were getting quite high now, and the more the wind rushed around them the more excited she became. Art let out a yell of exhilaration and answered his question. "Immensely!". Finally she spotted the quick tree climber and moved in for the attack. Rather than leaping at him like a lunatic, Art gripped a branch and swung herself around the entire length of the trunk to grab him from behind - with her legs. With her knees locked about his neck in a sudden attack, she continued to grip the branch above her and pulled Chase off the one he was currently darting up to leave him hanging around the neck and shoulders, only supported by her legs.

"Better hope I don't drop 'ye!" she joked.

Chase laughed, it was interesting how she had mastered the sport of sparring in trees, it would definitely make fighting a little easier in the future, but he wasn't going to let Artemis beat him on his first try, not if he could tell it anyway, it wouldn't be practical for him to lose at something against a person he had just met, especially if sparring was something he had been able to prove to be her equal at.

Chase was suddenly picked up out of the air by a set of legs, he looked up to find himself looking at Artemis, "Slick. But watch this though." He used his legs to grab onto a branch and swing the two of them around it, and send her flying into another branch and off him, she started to slip off, "Come on, get up." Chase told her.

Once again she was flung into another branch, and she couldn't help but cry out. No-one liked being upside down and only hanging from someone else's legs even if it was just for a second. But instead of falling stomach first onto the branch below, Art managed to hit it with her hands. Using this to her advantage, she balanced in a handstand for half a second, just in time to slam a kick into Chase' chin before he swung out of sight again.

Now she tired of using her arms to swing about foolishly. Instead, Artemis began jumping from branch to branch, running across the thicker ones and using others as diving boards to advance into the upper canopy. "Come on, catch me!" she called, giggling with glee. She just spotted Chase two bows over and danced to the other side of the trunk, muffling her giggles into the palm of her hand.

Chase yelled as she kicked him and looked at her dumbstruck How is she doing this!?, he hadn't expected her to be able to respond so quickly and balance herself from being thrown into a branch so quickly, nor had he expected her to be able to regain her footing enough to actually hit him, so he did all he could think of, he swung around when he noticed she was hiding from him, he jumped above her and went to the trunk above her, he landed silently behind her, and pushed her towards the tree, firmly holding her in place and blocking all kicks she could try and make, "I beleive I win." Chase said and laughed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back