You're Prefects, Not Idiots

Professor Kalif Styx

transfig 5-7 † patriarch

OOC First Name
Ghost
Professor Styx heard all about the prefect's meeting. He heard about what happened in detail, and he was livid. He could have sent howlers out to the prefects to get their butts in here, but he decided against it. He simply wrote a couple of words onto a sheet of parchment, duplicated it, and sent it out:
Parchment said:
My Office. Now.
Resting before his desk sat four chairs, one for each of the morons that disgraced the Slytherin house, and by extension, himself. Professor Styx sat in his large chair behind his desk. His expression was considerably dark, for what he normally used around the school. He also had his gloved hands fastened together in a death grip upon his desk. He would not begin this without them all there. After all, they needed to be punished. He didn't care who the Head people were, no matter his opinion on them. Instead, he waited for the four to arrive to their judgement which would be harsh. The Head people could not punish his prefects like he could. Some might have thought that it wasn't a big deal to be sent to him, but they would be terribly, terribly wrong about that thought. Professor Styx was the last person anyone wanted to see.

Before Preston had even arrived to the common room, Professor Styx had been alerted to that disaster of a prefect's meeting. Upon reading the three words on the parchment, Preston's hands began to tremble again. He'd just begun to calm down after spending some time walking around the school, but now a new emotion was taking over: fear. Preston had tried his best to stay off of his Head of House's radar over the years, but that had proven to be a futile effort. At becoming prefect had been a good reason for Styx to notice him. Now, though, he knew he was in for it. He glanced down at his badge sadly. It was nice while it lasted...at least I won't have to patrol with Sergei, he thought to hinself, trying to find some sort of bright side since he was obviously losing his badge.

Taking a moment to figure out where he was, he'd just been wandering before, Preston headed for the steps. He briefly thought about heading to the common room quickly to change his shirt, the blood stains on the bottom had nearly dried up, but decided against it. If Styx thought he'd gone anywhere but straight to him after receiving the parchment, there'd be even more hell to pay. Reaching the room, Preston only looked up enough to realize that he was the first to enter the room. The Slytherin entered quickly, avoiding the professor's gaze for fear that the man would kill him if he did. Sure, it wasn't allowed but he was also sure the man was clever enough to make it look like an accident. Taking the seat all the way to the right, Preston stared down at his knuckles which were still pink from the healing charm the nurse had done. He felt like he was 6 instead of 16. Styx was good at doing that to people.

Sage had been almost waiting for this to happen. She knew as soon as she'd left that room, with the silly little card in hand, that Professor Styx would not be happy with her, or possibly them at all. She had believed that perhaps he wouldn't hear about it, but really nothing got passed him, it was wishful thinking. So, as soon as she received and the read the parchment from him, she couldn't help but feel a little nervous. She didn't know if this meeting was alone, or if it was with the other slytherin prefects. Alone, and Sage doubted anyone would see her again, with others at least she wouldn't die alone. It didn't make her feel that good at all. Sage had managed a good four years without being overly noticed by the man. She was sure he knew her name, but honestly she'd hoped that would be all he'd learn about her. Sage knew that it had been mostly Slytherin causing the problems in that meeting, but she couldn't help but feel it was a little unfair. The gryffindors, hufflepuffs or even the ravenclaws wouldn't receive such a note, that instilled a feeling like walking to your own death. It didn't matter that they'd done wrong, if it had been some other house, they would not receive such a note which made her honestly feel like a dead prefect walking. Sage could honestly feel the anger radiating off that note. Those three letters staring back at her. However, saying all that, she knew that she couldn't be late, so she'd headed straight to his office. This wasn't the time to make things worse.

Sage had not ever expected to receive the honour of being a prefect, and it was very likely that she was about to become the first person to have lost the prefect badge so soon after getting it. Which of course really meant that the badge itself meant nothing to Sage. She'd been pleased to get it, proud to represent her house. But, losing it now would really make little difference to her life. She just didn't like the idea of being around Styx angry. As she walked to the office, she found herself hoping that she wouldn't have to deal with it alone. She knew that she deserved to lose the points, she knew she hadn't behaved like prefects were supposed to, but she really didn't want to have to be alone with him. The slytherin kind of hoped in this short walk that she could find that stupid little boy who'd hugged Styx and set him upon the man. Take some of the heat off them. But, of course no such luck. Sage silently entered the man's office and noticed that he really didn't look happy, but that at least, already in the room was Preston. And really the man looked absolutely livid. She took a seat next to Preston, and gave him a small smile. If only the head boy and girl had been smart. They wouldn't be in this mess now.

Sage glanced down at the boy's t-shirt and noticed the dried blood, at soon as she saw this she felt her anger growing again. She was p1ssed. She was so annoyed at the reluctance of the head boy and girl to listen to what was a simple plea. She was annoyed about the stupid cards and all of the points being lost. She was annoyed at Sergei for acting like such a goddamn child. She felt bad for Preston having to deal with all this. Sage was raging, but she had to pretend with all her might that she wasn't. The teen glanced up at Styx, who was clearly much angrier than she was, but it didn't matter any more. What was done was done. And should she lose the prefect badge because of it, then so be it. Because she didn't want to have to deal with a head girl who lost control of a room, or a head boy who couldn't even hand out punishments properly. All she had to hope now, was that Styx didn't kill them.

The funny part was that unlike almost everyone else in the room, Alaska hadn't been given any point deductions. Not a single one, but when she saw that everyone else was getting one, especially her housemates, she lost her temper and left and wandered her but right into Professor Styx's office. He wasn't there when she came, but she knew he'd fine her skinny ass later and she'd get a chance to get her head chewed off and her suspicions were confirmed when she received a letter from her Head of Household claiming that she had better get into his office and now. Alaska sighed and turned to head towards Professor Styx's office. The entire way there she was practically planning her own funeral too because she knew that he was going to be very unhappy with her and her explosion. Although a part of her wanted to explain it was either she leave the meeting, or she beat up the Head Boy, and somehow she figured he'd be less enthused by the second idea. "I hope he doesn't tell my dad." Or Asparuh for that matter because even though Styx was scary enough as he was, Alaska feared those two individuals even more so.

Upon entering Professor Styx's office, Alaska noticed that Sage and Preston were already present, as well as there being two empty chairs. All the colored drained from her face. They were all in trouble weren't they? Alaska hid the urge to cry as she took a seat in one of the chairs. Hopefully there were other students in the Common Room, that way they could be sure to go get somebody if Styx decided to kill all four of them. It was unlikely that he would listen to reason and try to understand why some of them acted the way they did, because he wasn't that type of person. The most the four of them could do now was just hope that he still felt like letting them live, or continue going to school here because he likely would threaten them with everything he had. Alaska refused to look at the Professor until he was ready to say something, so instead she kept her eyes fixed on her lap and prayed that luck would be with her today.

Sergei Zhefarovich had no idea what to expect when he received the parchment that could cause the Titanic to sink over and over again. He read it over and over, and no second guessing where this came from. Professor Styx. Sergei, for once, had a great concern for what would happen to him. He doubted that it would be anything good. Sergei sighed as he walked toward the office, almost like walking off the plank from a pirate ship. As soon as he entered the office, his eyes looked over the others. This was awful. He was the last one here. And he caused a pretty big uproar. He was taunted, and he was not about to back down from a simpleton. He also teased Preston a bit, when he threw a temper tantrum about having to patrol with him. Sergei did not care about all that. He did cost the Slytherins the most point, but he was not alone. He was not taking the blame for any of it. Well, maybe some of it, but not for starting it. Sergei took his seat, and looked at the side of the room versus the professor, the Head of Slytherin House. He waited for the inevitable.

Professor Styx looked over the four prefects, and he felt like he was going to explode. However, he remained calm, and silent, which was the absolute worst type of anger that anyone wanted to see from Styx. Professor Styx finally jumped into the talk, without so much of a greeting, "You four have disgraced Slytherin, the school, your prefect status, and myself. What the hell were you thinking? And you better not lie." Professor Styx could tell if someone was lying, and he was livid. One could tell by the rage in his eyes. If looks could kill...

It was with a mixture of relief and sadness when Preston saw that it was Sage who had taken a seat behind him. The Slytherin felt bad that she had been summoned to Styx's office and that she had lost house points as well simply because she had defended him. Preston hadn't expected her, or anyone, to do anything like that. The silence in the room, even as it slowly grew more crowded, was stifling. It seemed that with each one of them taking a seat, Professor Styx was just getting more and more mad. It felt that way to Preston anyway. He still hadn't done more than steal glances at the man, yet every time he did, he caught sight of the man staring daggers at him. If there was a spell that could be cast simply by looking at a person, Preston would long have been gone from this world.

When Professor Styx finally spoke to them, Preston bit his lip as he endured the man's words about what disgraces they all were. When the man finally asked a question, Preston looked up slowly, wondering if they were really meant to answer the question or if it was rhetorical. He waited to see if Professor Styx was going to continue. After a moment or two of silence, and another second of that terrifying gaze, Preston realized that maybe, just maybe, they were supposed to reply. Preston knew that his best chances of getting out both alive and with as lenient of a punishment as possible were to show respect, appear honest and sorry, and speak before Sergei did. Not bothering to look towards the space that Sergei was inhabiting because it wouldn't help him any, the sixth year spoke, his voice sounding embarrassingly young to his ears. " I don't know what happened, sir. I went to speak with the Head students about changing my patrol and...things got out of hand." Preston kept his response vague while sticking to the facts, not sure if Styx knew the whole story or if he just knew that his Slytherins had been the major source of trouble. He knew that it had to have been Ai who had ratted them out though and she had probably delighted in sharing all of the sordid details. " And Sage was just trying to help the Head people understand what I was talking about, but they didnt seem to care about hearing any of us out." He rested his elbow on the arm of the chair and looked back down again, falling silent and hoping that he wouldn't be questioned further. While everything he had said had been true, he wasn't anywhere near as innocent as he was making himself out to be.

Alaska crossed her arms over her chest and shrank into her seat a little as Professor Styx stated how they had shamed themselves. On top of that, he wanted them to explain what they were thinking. Alaska let Preston explain himself first, and of course he was pretty vague. Alaska rolled her blue eyes and looked at Professor Styx. Surely he had more to say than that. "Well I can tell you why I'm here." Although Alaska was terrified of her uncle, she was much to angry at the situation not to tell him why she did what she did. He would probably be expecting it too, after all, she was a lot more like her dad than a lot of people would guess at first glance. Alaska sat up and unfolded her arms. "Okay, a large number of the Prefects began fighting and yelling at one another, and a handful of Prefects also sat there and kept to themselves because obviously everyone getting involved at the same time was going to make even bigger of a mess, or some people had no idea what was going on. Then, our idiot of a Head Boy just starts throwing deduction cards at people. Throwing." Alaska had to resist the urge to call him a filthy half-blood every minute because she knew that there were other people in the room who weren't pure themselves and she didn't want to initiate another fight. But she continued to explain what her purpose for leaving was.

"He didn't give me one of those stupid cards, but I felt like it was unfair to give those cards to the people who weren't involved in stopping it when he didn't do anything to stop it either, he just stood there like the idiot he is. Anyways, I got mad and started to yell at him. Honestly, he was lucky that yelling was all I did because I kind of wanted to hit him with a chair." The thought had crossed her mind during that meeting, and a part of her was unhappy that she decided against using the chair to maim his face. But at the same time, she didn't fancy the idea of getting kicked out of school. "After that, it was either leave the meeting early or hit him in the face for being one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen in my life. That sir, is why I left and why I'm here right now. I'm sorry sir for shaming Slytherin, but I don't take well to idiots abusing power that they don't even deserve in the first place." Alaska didn't know how her uncle would take to this, but she felt better now that she had let everything out. Her peers probably thought she was crazy, but oh well.

Sage sat quietly in the room as both Alaska and Sergei appeared. She glanced over to them, and noticed that like herself they were at least a little bit nervous about this meeting. Sage let her eyes slowly drift to look at Professor Styx waiting for him to just start yelling at them. The sooner this man started yelling at them, then the sooner it would be over, and she would spend the rest of her day actually doing what it was she'd want to do, or just hiding in a corner. There was nothing fun about this. The man, just jumped into it, and at his words Sage could only really bow her head and look at her hands. They had perhaps disgraced Slytherin, but it had been for good reason. Well, mostly good reason. She stayed silent, waiting for someone to answer his question, really not wanting to be the first, and thankfully it was Preston who spoke first, not the one who had lost the most in the room, but the one that he was sure felt most annoyed about everything that had happened. She nodded along with what he said, and was surprised when he mentioned her, and that she'd just been defending him. Sage considered Preston a friend, kind of.

As soon as he had finished, Sage had been about to jump in when the other girl in the room, Alaska, jumped in. She looked at her, and wondered why she was now explaining in such a manner. Like, what was she really thinking. It maybe wasn't the time to be so angry or frustrated about what had happened. She didn't want to follow this, but it was that or she would have to speak after Sergei. Sage just nodded until the girl had stopped, agreeing in some respects that those who had not actually been involved shouldn't have lost house points. She let a few moments of silence take over the small office, before Sage, decided she would speak up. "Sir, I can admit that perhaps I was a little short with the head people, but it seemed like they had catered to everyone but Slytherin. Which is unfair." She said, looking between them and then to the professor. "The entire list looked as though it had been made up to suit everyone else, apart from those who are in slytherin, sir. It was like they were targeting us." Sage stopped, she knew that trying to push the blame away from all of them wasn't going to help, but it did seem like that. Seem like everyone else had gotten their way but the ones in Slytherin. Plus, by the way things were going how much more trouble could they get into. Perhaps admitting that she realised she had been short with them, would help her but she honestly didn't know if it would really help at all.

Sergei looked up at the professor as he spoke, and the less he used, the more he was surprised. Sergei heard everyone else before he almost laughed at Alaska. Wow, she was really getting into it, and how Styx didn't just silence her then and there, well, it was amazing. Sergei said, honestly, explaining himself, "I didn't mean to lose my temper, but when I have someone yelling at me, I tend to lose it - especially when they had no business butting in. The whole cupcake thing was an accident, and I was messing with Preston for throwing a fit over not wanting to patrol with me. The Head Boy said that I was fighting, and I didn't throw a punch or a spell. Plus the whole card thing was just over the edge." Sergei felt bad for disrespecting Slytherin. It was the only house he respected over all. He wanted nothing more but to prove himself but if Preston wasn't such a damn girl, none of this would have happened. Then again, if the head people actually knew their heads from their asses, then they would know that pairing Preston up with him was not the smartest of plans.

His eyes went from each of them, knowing what he needed to do before he even heard the stories. As each one spoke, he listened intently, not pleased by any of the words. Sergei seemed to be a little more apologetic but Professor Styx didn't buy it. He decided to speak to each of them, one by one. First, was Preston. "Preston, I didn't ask what happened. I know what happened in there. You pitched a fit over who'd you be patrolling with. I wanted to know what was going on inside of your head. The Head People and their actions are none of my concern. Your actions are." It seemed as though he wanted to save Sage. It did not seem like that was going to happen either. Now, for Alaska. "I don't really care what the Head Boy does, or lack thereof. You disgraced Slytherin, and your behavior right now isn't helping your case. You'll be lucky if I don't tell your father about what happened here, and who all you have been seen with. In cases like this, you need to learn to keep your big mouth closed. Right now, I'm honestly disgusted with your behavior, as you are part of my family. You and Sergei both really disgraced our family, in addition to what I mentioned before." He took a breath, thinking that he said enough to Alaska.

And now, for Sage. "Surely, I don't need to repeat myself with what I think about them, and how they are relevant to me. However, pointing the finger at someone else is not going to save you, and neither is your boyfriend here." He gestured toward Preston with his hand. His eyes rested on the final prefect, "Finally, you. You have your father's temper, and no doubt, his lack of intelligence. I don't really care about how someone else acts, as it is all on you to behave like you should, not what everyone else does. Your behavior does not depend on anyone else. I agree about the card incident, don't get me wrong, but... I believe that he should have left the punishments with me." Professor Styx appeared to have calmed down, but those that would think that would be terribly wrong. "Now, all of you, what should happen to you..." He paused, letting it sink in before he concluded, "Wands on the desk. You will not have access to them except in class until December. Take an additional fifty points from each of you for disgracing myself and Slytherin. Your prefect privileges have been revoked such as: taking points from students, but you can send them to the professors to deal with, no more prefect common room or the prefect bathroom for the remainder of the semester. And..."

He gestured toward Preston and Sergei, "You two are a special case. I am done with this fighting from the two of you. You will remain patrolling together, but there is an additional twist. Stand up and hold out your hands, now." He looked to the females. "You two are dismissed after the wands are left. Don't linger behind or else you will be in detention writing sentences until you graduate." The door opened with a wave of his hand. He stood up and waited for the actions to be carried out.

Sage listened to Sergei as he spoke, but she was more concerned with Styx. She didn't really want to deal with any of this really. She felt like she was just waiting to be shot or something. This would be bad, she was sure. It just was a good thing that soon it would be over. Finally when they had all spoke, he started. Picking off each one as he responded to what they had said. He of course started with preston and then moved round to each person. Finally it was her turn, and she tried to keep eye contact with him but just failed miserably. She didn't react to him calling Preston her boyfriend, which she thought was a little childish for a professor. However, hers was over quickly and she was glad that at least she wasn't in any way related to this man, her father might not have been happy to hear about any of this at all. It wasn't the best thing that they were all getting into trouble, but finally it seemed they were getting to the actual punishment. Which Sage hadn't really been looking forward to, not at all. It was bad enough losing points to the head boy and his stupid cards, but Styx was not going to go easy on them. It felt grossly unfair that they would probably be the only ones who even got spoken to by their head of house.

First was the wands part, Sage took out her wand and then hesitated, she didn't want to give up her wand, she couldn't hand over her wand, he couldn't do this to her. It was fine for the others, they were just sixth years, she was a fifth year, she had to study for her OWLs. She couldn't not have her wand for half a year. She didn't care so much about the points, or the prefects stuff. She didn't mind about that at all, but she couldn't practice her magic, how was she going to fair with classes, or studying. However, it seemed it was final, and really Sage didn't want to get into more trouble as it was. So, when they, or well her and Alaska, were finally dismissed, she spared a glance at Preston who had to stay. But, she could now leave. She placed her wand down on the professor's desk and tried to hold in her anger over how unfair it was. She turned away, and after very quickly, placing a reassuring hand on Preston's shoulder, left the room. She had to find somewhere quiet and alone, where she could scream to the high heavens about how unfair this truly was. Perhaps in a week or so, she'd be able to persuade Styx to let her have her wand a little earlier.

Preston listened as each person spoke, his eyes drifting over to watch their faces as they spoke. He was rather surprised at how much emotion Alaska let come through as she spoke to the professor about why she was in his office. The boy’s eyes widened slightly, but he forced his expression to remain passive. When Sage began to speak, Preston found himself nodding in agreement. It had certainly seemed that the Slytherins had been targeted by the Head Boy and Head Girl, and he had even mentioned that before storming out. Preston had always felt that the other houses were jealous of Slytherin who nearly always won the House Cup. It was sad to see that the two students who were supposed to be above them couldn’t keep things professional. As Sergei spoke, Preston returned to facing Styx. Without the man’s attention directly on him, Preston found it a little easier to look at the man. That didn’t last long, however, as he was the first person that Styx addressed.

He tried to maintain contact with the man, but eventually settled for looking a little more towards the man’s shoulder as he continued. Preston nodded his head to show that he understood why he was in the room. It wasn’t like the Slytherin didn’t know he was in the wrong. He did. That didn’t change the fact that he felt like he shouldn’t be in as much trouble as he was going to be in. And he knew he was going to be in trouble. Professor Styx had always made it clear that shaming Slytherin house was very much against the rules, and almost any wrongdoing fell into the category of shaming the house. At least he wasn’t related to Styx as Alaska and Sergei were. The professor really laid into them, and although he knew that he shouldn’t, Preston couldn’t help but feel some small measure of satisfaction at seeing Sergei being told off.

As Professor Styx finished, Preston could feel his body tense up. This was the moment that they had all been dreading: their actual punishment. The words slammed into Preston and he looked at the others, in disbelief that they were being asked to surrender their wands. Preston slowly reached for his as he listened to the professor take off an additional 50 points. Preston was now 80 points in the hole, his face flushing at that number. It was bad enough that people didn’t like him because he was muggleborn. Now they were really going to hate him and there was nothing he could do about it since he couldn’t even take points away from people who bothered him. When the professor spoke directly to Sergei and Preston, the Slytherin held his breath. What more? Preston thought to himself. There was really nothing else that the man could take away from him. The Brotherhood, his brain whispered to him. Preston sincerely hoped he wouldn’t lose that too. It was the only place he really had left. The actual additional punishment didn’t make Preston feel any better. He had figured that his patrol was not going to be changed. If the Head students hadn’t changed it, there was no way in hell he would expect Styx to. Leaning forward to place his wand on the desk, Preston felt a small touch on his shoulder. It was Sage, he was sure of it though he didn’t bother to look back. Instead, he slowly stood up and held out his hands. The teenager had no idea what the man was about to do, but he was certain of one thing: he wasn’t going to like it.

Sergei waited for his punishment. He almost laughed when Professor Styx drilled into Preston, but he did not do or anything that was on his mind, while keeping his eyes down in case Professor Styx used his Legilimens thing to look into his mind. However, he felt bad when Alaska got it laid on her. The threat to tell Benjamen was serious, and Sergei knew that Professor Styx would stoop to that level when called for it. And then said that she had a big mouth, which wasn't true until just recently. Alaska really got more outspoken. However, he heard that the two of them disgraced the family, and that caused some discomfort and shame to radiate through his body. He never wanted to shame his grand family. Asparuh might be hearing about this, and that might be the end of them. The Professor Styx was speaking to him. He dared to look the man in the eyes as he said that he had his dad's temper. He didn't even know that Chavdar had a temper. And then pretty much called him stupid. Sergei was about to speak up but he clamped his teeth upon his tongue. He remained silent as the grave. He knew better to think that they were saved too.

Now, it was the punishments. He pulled out his wand and rested it on the desk. He felt suddenly without an arm or something. The wand was apart of him, and he had to give it up, until December. That was months from now. How was this fair? The prefect privileges have been revoked, so he had no authority except sending them to the professors. No more prefect common room or prefect bathroom. Neither of them bothered him that much since he just received his badge. The gesture toward Preston and himself made his blood run cold. He stood up and held out his hands, wondering what was going to happen to them. The dismissal to the girls was cold and short. He didn't want to know what this twist was, but already, he felt like he was going to be sick.

Professor Styx waited until the girls were well away from the office. Once that occurred, he reached forward, and grabbed the hands that were adjacent to each other. He waved his other hand and with a spell, the hands were sealed together. "Now, you two will have no choice but to confront your problems. Every day, you will meet with me to patrol so that I can cause this until I decide that you two are finished fighting. If you don't meet with me before your patrols, you will be expelled. Now, start your first patrol. And get out of my office." He gestured the two toward the door, and waited for them to leave before he would slam it shut. He was just done with students this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back