You call it a mousetrap, while we see free cheese and challenge

Well Hemi was absolutely certain of one thing, he didn't want to raise the alarm, "I vote we sleep in the forest, it might be fun!" He stated, avoiding detention was imperative to him. The forest might not be so bad, the canopy would provide shelter from the wind and rain, enough to see them to breakfast.

He was forming a survival plan in his head for their one night in the forest. First off they would need fire. Ah! Neither of them knew that particular skill. Right. Second... Hemi never got to second. The window shot open again and a voice he instantly recognised, even over the gathering winds, ordered them back inside. The boy cringed, why did it have to be her?! Of all the Professors and Prefects roaming the castle, the one that scared Hemi the most found them in this absurd location.

"Coming Professor" He replied politely. The two young Gryffindors were going to need an explanation, would sleepwalking be plausible?

Professor Justin Cliffeton sighed to himself as he basically ran up the stairs of the castle trying to get to the room where he had seen the two students climbing out of the window in an attempt to get outside of the school. He couldn't believe that anyone could be so stupid as to do such a thing. With an angry look on his face he entered the room and found them climbing back up their makeshift rope with Professor Kingsley on the other end of the window looking extremely angry with them. She seemed to have it under control but she approached the others just to be sure. They were hardly malicious troublemakers but he had heard Hemi Te Rua's name come up all too often lately. "Good evening Professor, I see you seem to have things under control. I was patrolling the grounds when I saw them begin climbing out the window so I ran up here to try and stop them. They probably saw the locked door and tried to be sneaky." He said with a frown on his face. Why couldn't these two just behave? Turning to the others as they climbed inside his face turned back to angry. "Explanations. Go." He said giving them no time to think of an excuse. "I suggest the truth, trust me when I say you're in enough trouble."

Despite everything Maddie couldn't help but laugh at Hemi's resolve and imagination. Sleep in the forest!? was he mad?! she shook her head and smiled at her friend. "You really have the strangest ideas" she laughed. She didn't really fancy sleeping in the forest but she would take that over getting caught. "But okay, let's do it. We need to find a way down then" Maddie said as she looked down, it was quite a drop but they could probably do it. However, they would never find out as the window was blasted open and she heard an angry female voice telling them to get back inside, now. The colour vanished from Maddie's face, this was only the second time she had been in trouble. She slowly crept back across the ledge and climbed through the window back onto solid ground. The stone felt good beneath her feet.

As if one Professor wasn't enough, it was their Head of House which made things ten times worse then another Professor ran down the corridor. It was the flying Professor who Maddie actually really liked, this was not good. It was enough just being in trouble with one Professor, not two! She racked her brains with excuses, if they told the truth then the Professor's would find out that they had been to the forbidden forest previously which would get them in even more trouble! This was very bad, would 'wanting to swim in the great lake' be a worse lie than the truth? She looked at the floor hoping they wouldn't pick on her to talk. She hoped Hemi would have a convincing excuse, but to be honest she didn't know how they would get out of this one.

Professor Kingsley was startled to see another professor beside her because she’d been so focused on watching the students as they made their way back inside. She had stepped to the side allowing them all of the room that they would need to re-enter the school safely. The girl who was closer to the window entered first and Cyndi recognized her enough to know that she was a Gryffindor even if she didn’t know the girl’s name. The other student was a familiar face, one she’d seen right before the semester ended when the fireworks had happened. Thankfully, he’d only been a witness to that situation. The Gryffindor Head of House shook her head. “Actually, I don’t even think I want to hear any excuses” she stated, turning back to the two students. “Nothing can possibly justify being out on the ledge when you should be in Gryffindor tower” she added vehemently. “Hemi, this is what I meant about time telling me how sorry you were” she scolded the young first year. “You obviously learned nothing from our last talk” the woman stated, her hands on her hips, her shirt straining against her growing stomach.

Just as Hemi was scrambling back through the window behind Maddie, a second Professor rushed to the scene. Hemi's face dropped as he recognised him as another teacher the first year didn't have a very good reputation with either. It was so unfair, he was always labelled the troublemaker by adults when he was merely a victim of his own impulsiveness.

Hemi frantically thought up an excuse, the best idea he had was to plead he was under the effects of the imperius curse and that Voldemort had returned. He opened his mouth very slightly to speak but Professor Kingsley beat him to it and she didn't want an excuse. For a moment he was actually relieved, until she spoke directly to him.

He hadn't told a soul, not even Maddie, about the meeting with his Head of House, he was too ashamed about the whole thing and her bringing it up in front of two witnesses embarrassed him further. He blushed, hanging his head whilst deciding against apologising for breaking his last apology, it would make no difference. "I - I -" Hemi stumbled through his words, Professor Kingsley always did this to him. Most students feared Styx but this boy would rather him than Kingsley any day. "I didn't mean to put our lives in danger, I thought it was a good idea at the time." He used 'I' to keep the attention off Maddie, she was only here by his invitation and would be asleep in her dormitory if Hemi hadn't said: 'Let's break out of the castle to find that centaur again!'

Justin couldn't believe what he was hearing when Hemi spoke next. He had thought it would have been a good idea to break out of the castle with a friend of his in the middle of the night and do God knows what. What idea could they possibly have to do at this time of the night? The only thing that he could think of was that they were going to the Forbidden Forest, and if that was the case it was only going to get worse for the two of them. Sighing deeply, he was beginning to wish that he had stayed in the grounds and waited for them to descend to where he was. Turning to Maddie, he asked, "Where were you guys planning on sneaking out to? I'd venture a guess at the Forbidden Forest, how far off am I?" Justin asked with an annoyed look on his face.

This was the end, Maddie knew it. Goodbye freedom! Goodbye fun adventures! She would probably be in detention for the rest of her life by the sounds of it. She sighed, was it worth it in the end? She tried to clear her thoughts, of course it was worth it. A night with her best friend with the intention to find Cain again, it would have been a fun night. She decided she would do it all once more, and hopefully not get caught next time. Hemi would probably agree to do it again too, nothing really stopped Hemi. Was that a good thing though? He certainly convinced Maddie to step outside of her comfort zone which was probably a good thing, although this time, not so much.

She carried on looking at the floor as the two Professor's were shouting at them, she couldn't bear to look them in the eye. But soon the heat seemed to be off Maddie and they were addressing Hemi instead, she felt bad that Hemi was trying to take the blame for everything. It wasn't strictly his fault, she did agree to meet him with the intention of sneaking out. She decided to pipe up, after all, she was nothing but loyal, and Gryffindor's had to stick together right? She interrupted Hemi "It was both of our ideas" she said mumbling to the floor. Maddie didn't want her friend to get into too much trouble, it seemed like he was making a habit of it from what the Professor's were saying.

Maddie quickly glanced at Hemi trying to read his face, should they tell the whole truth about where they wanted to go? Would they get into more trouble revealing the whole plan? So many thoughts were whizzing around her mind, she had never really been in trouble before. Definitely not like this. What did people do in this situation? Did they lie? Did they tell the truth? She just didn't know.

Professor Kingsley looked off to the side, her foot tapping impatiently against the floor as Professor Cliffeton continued to seek out an explanation. Ever the Ravenclaw, she mused to herself as she did so. The professor wasn't the least bit curious about their destination. It didn't matter in the end to her. What did matter was that they had blatantly disregarded the rules and put their lives in danger. "But you did" she replied bluntly. Turning to the young girl, Professor Kingsley laughed harshly. "Don't worry. There was no way you were going to be off the hook no matter what Mr. Te Rua said" she stated in response to the girl's attempt to take some of the blame. Professor Kingsley shut the window once more with some force this time.

Hemi watched Professor Cliffeton round on Maddie, asking if they were headed for the forest. She didn't answer him, neither did Hemi, not verbally at least, although he did shake his head no. He looked at the newly appointed deputy headmaster but the gesture was for Maddie's benefit. He didn't think they should confess, Professor Cliffeton didn't have any evidence that they were going to the Forest, only speculation.

Hemi had other things to worry about though, namely the wrath of Professor Kingsley. It didn't make any difference to her, she had made that much perfectly clear, although there had been no mention of what was going to happen next. Fearing he would dig them a deeper hole, the Gryffindor remained silent. He was ready for whatever punishment they had in mind.

Justin raised his eyebrow at them both as neither seemed to want to answer his question. In doing so, it all but confirmed it. He knew that that was nowhere near concrete evidence and he wouldn't be able to punish them for it but at this point in time he knew that they were in enough trouble from Professor Kingsley. That didn't mean that he wouldn't be able to punish them as well, however. Being a Deputy did have it's perks, after all. Not that he had really had any time to get used to or even learn about the new things that he was able to do being a Deputy. It was pretty much all the same old for him right now. "Since neither of you want to answer, and circumstance enough is more then reason to punish you.. once you've served out whatever punishment Professor Kingsley deems worthy, you'll both come to my office and serve out a punishment with me." He said with a smile on his face. These two were never going to learn, so it was about time that they realised the full extent of their actions and why they should never break the rules.

Professor Kingsley's patience had worn thin. She was sleepy now and wanted nothing more than her bed and her pajamas. The woman's face remained neutral, but she was annoyed at the professor's words. It was bad enough he'd interrupted her despite seeming to know she had things under control, but now it seemed her punishment wasn't enough either. The woman waved a hand at the students. "If you want to deal with them, by all means go ahead, Justin. 50 points from Gryffindor each" she stated before heading off. If he wanted the headache, he could have at it.

The night was unraveling before Maddie's eyes and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Telling the truth would only make things worse, that she knew was true. Professor Cliffeton seemed so angry and she was so disappointed in herself. She looked at Hemi as they received a double detention, surely that was too harsh? It took everything in her to not retort, she tried to keep her face as neutral as possible, not wanting the Professors to know her true feelings about the matter. But 50 points taken from each of them was completely unfair!

That was unfair, had Professor Cliffeton never heard of a little thing called Double Jeopardy? Clearly not, well a person can't be punished for the same crime twice and what he was proposing was exactly that. Fortunately Kingsley seemed to be on the same page as Hemi, which was a definite first, and left the detention up to the deputy head, but not before taking house points "100 points?!" Hemi whispered in disbelief to Maddie! He'd have thought their Head of House would harbour at least the teeniest bit of house bias but he was very much mistaken.

This evening was becoming long and tiring, Hemi wondered if a night spent in the forest would've been a breeze compared to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back