You call it a mousetrap, while we see free cheese and challenge

Hemi Te Rua

OOC First Name
Ru
Wand
Curved 14 1/2 Inch Flexible Vine Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Maddie was possibly Hemi's favourite person at Hogwarts simply because when he says things like, "Let's break out of the castle to find that centaur again!" She replies with something along the lines of, "Great idea, let me grab my cloak."

An excited Hemi waited at the bottom of the spiral staircase for her so they could leave for the forest. He knew from a previous experience that he couldn't access the girls dormitory, and wouldn't want to either. He wanted to be subtle and what was more obvious than knocking on Maddie's dormitory to ask her if she's ready to sneak out? Instead he remained at the bottom of the stairs and tried to not look suspicious by grabbing a left out textbook to read which happened to be... Yikes! 4th Year Charms!! Hemi dropped the textbook back onto the desk, reading that looked more suspect than if he just waited like a normal person.

It was time for another one of Hemi's mischievous plans and he had very kindly let Maddie be included again. The Forbidden Forest adventure had introduced them to a charming centaur named Cain, he was surprisingly friendly and Maddie couldn't wait to see if they could find him again. Cain even stayed friendly and pleasant when Silus turned up and changed the atmosphere so it was more hostile. Silus seemed to bring trouble and the feeling of uneasiness wherever he went. He definitely wasn't one of Maddie's favourite people around Hogwarts but thankfully, she didn't have to see him that often anyway.

Time was getting on, and she was sure it was after curfew which meant it was the perfect time to sneak out of Gryffindor tower and head down to the Entrance Hall to meet Hemi. She tiptoed down the spiral staircase (which took a lot of time) and she eventually reached the bottom where she saw her friend trying to look unsuspicious and failing. she stifled a giggle "you have the guiltiest looking face I have ever seen" she whispered to him and then winked.

Hemi smiled as Maddie met him at the bottom of the stairs, "Guilty! But I was trying to look innocent. He replied playfully. It wasn't easy to look innocent when sneaking out after curfew, Hemi should know, this was the second time out after curfew. No, third sorry, but one of them was an accident.

Hemi started towards the main doors to exit the castle while he spoke in a quieter than usual voice to avoid detection. "Cain doesn't know we're looking for him because uh - I didn't know how to get hold of him, do you reckon centaurs receive owls?" Hemi didn't have much of a plan, he never did. They approached the main doors and he pushed, but it didn't budge. "What the?-" He examined the door, "It's locked!?"

Maddie shook her head "you'll have to practise it then!" she said in response, sticking her tongue out at her friend and laughing. It was a first for Maddie to be sneaking out after curfew, it was a strange but liberating feeling.

She followed her friend to the main doors, excited about the prospect of seeing Cain again. She wasn't that surprised that Cain didn't know they were coming because how do you contact a Centaur and be like "oh, by the way, we're coming to see you tonight. Hope that's okay. Love two Gryffindor first years that you met that one time, bye xoxoxoxo." It seemed a bit silly to Maddie, but she shrugged her shoulders at what Hemi asked her. "I'm not sure to be honest Hemi. I mean, you have to put a name on the letter so I think he might be able to receive them?" she guessed. "It would be a whole different situation if he agreed or not though" she added. Cain did seem nice, but would he want two over enthusiastic Gryffindors following him around?

Hemi pushed the front doors but they didn't move. Maddie walked up after him and tried to open them herself and nothing! She pushed her shoulder against the door and still there was no budging. She looked at Hemi quizzically. "Erm... did you know they closed the doors at night? What do we do now? Is there another way out?" she said very quickly, almost panicking.

Hemi hadn't thought about whether or not Cain wanted to see the two first years. He simply assumed that he would. As for finding him, yes the Forest looked big, dark and scary, but they had stumbled upon Cain once before and the same thing could happen again. Hemi nodded to himself, he was quite sure that this was one of his better ideas.

His heart sank a little though when he realised the front doors were locked. He didn't know they locked them at night since he had never made it this far downstairs after dark. It made perfect sense though, it was an effective way to keep undesirable beasts out, and curious children in. He placed both hands on the door and pushed, hoping it would give, but these were solid oak doors. Hemi didn't have a hope in hell of getting them open with this tactic. He quickly abandoned that strategy and looked to Maddie.

"Don't worry" Hemi said to her as he felt her start to panic, "Maybe uh - urn -" Hemi struggled to come up with a solution, "Magic! What spells do you know?" He didn't really expect her to list all the spells she knew, "Or rather, do you know the unlocking door spell?" He asked hopefully!

Maddie frowned, trying to think of all the spells she knew. None of the ones that she could think of would help them in this situation. She shook her head "I don't know the door unlocking spell. We haven't been taught that yet! she answered disappointingly. "Besides, I expect these doors are protected from using spells like that." Maddie kicked the door in annoyance, she was looking forward to getting out into the forest. It wasn't so scary now that she had already been in once. "There has to be another way out!"

What was the point of a spell that unlocks doors when there was a spell to stop that spell working? Hemi wanted to learn the unlocking spell which was impossible to defend against as it was actually useful. "No, I guess you are right," He said, annoyed that he had this awesome idea which he couldn't put into action because of a locked door.

Hemi thought for a moment, "Well" He begun, "I'm guessing they have the sense to lock all the doors. But what about the Windows?"

They wouldn't be stopped by some huge locked doors, they would find another way out. The two young Gryffindors were determined they were going to do this, whatever it would take. "Let's not be disheartened, we will find a way!" Maddie said cheerfully, trying to lift Hemi's spirit.

She smiled widely when Hemi mentioned the windows "of course!" Maddie looked around the room for available windows, they all seemed to be shut. "Can you see any open in here?" she asked Hemi.

Hemi eyed up the windows, not only were they not open, but most were too high to reach. He gave Maddie a look, an 'I have an idea which will work this time' expression which he only used in special circumstances. "I know where a window might be open!" He said, "But it's not on the ground floor, we would have to go up one level and do a bit of climbing."

Hemi wondered whether Maddie had a line, a line she would not cross despite the boys efforts. If there was such a line, he was no where near it and that's why he liked spending time with her so much. "What do you reckon? I think we might have hit the jackpot and picked a night with no patrolling Professors."

There was always that look in Hemi's eye, a mischievous look, Maddie knew he had a plan. She decided to follow him, after all, she didn't have any better ideas anyway. "Okay" she nodded "Let's go" and she followed Hemi up the stairs to the first floor. The thought of danger hadn't even crossed Maddie's mind as they climbed higher. "We did pick a good night. The castle seems deserted" she said as she looked around the corridors, checking that they were not being followed. Maddie had been rather lucky with not getting caught last semester and she wanted to keep that record up for this one too.

Hemi had a particular window on his mind, the same window he had once used to pour water and flour onto the head of an unfortunate Professor. It was perfect, not too high from the ground and definitely opened. He trusted Maddie to check the coast was clear as he tried the window. It was stiff but still opened.

His stomach churned as he looked down. The window was significantly higher than he remembered, but he was still sure that worst case scenario and they fell, they wouldn't die. "It opened!" Hemi informed Maddie excitedly, "We can actually go find Cain!"

"Is the coast still clear?" He checked with his friend before he assessed how best to climb down.

"Why do I feel like you've done this before?" Maddie asked Hemi giggling nervously. She watched him as he slowly opened the creaky window, it made quite a loud sound so Maddie kept checking to see if anyone was watching them. Thankfully, it seemed like the noise hadn't drawn anyone's attention. She was getting jittery now, she just wanted to get out of the castle and into the forest. The suspense was almost too unbearable. Maddie grinned at Hemi when he opened the window and nodded to him Yes! we can finally get out and see him!" she whispered excitedly. With another quick look around the surrounding area and the coast was still very much clear. "Mhm, you're good" she said to her friend. She wondered how they were going to get down out of the window. They were still pretty high up and to be honest, she didn't want to break any bones if she could help it.

When all is said and done, Hemi wasn't entirely bothered whether they found Cain or not tonight. Yes, he'd love to see Cain and all, but Maddie's company was enough to keep the trouble maker in high spirits. She was great. He watched her as his friend checked the coast was clear, or rather Hemi starred until he saw Maddie's eyes revert to his. At which point the boy gave a mild smile and quickly focused back on the window assessment, it was difficult to see clearly so used his wand to cast Lumos.

"It's too high to jump." He said at last, "But there is a ledge if we wanted to climb. I dunno, what do you reckon?" Suddenly he didn't want Maddie to climb out the window, he didn't want her to get hurt.

Maddie bit her lip when Hemi said that they wouldn't be able to jump it, but she couldn't see any other way. "Erm... I guess we should climb to the ledge and then try and make our way down?" she suggested. They may potentially hurt themselves but she decided it would be worth it. "Anyway, if you go first I can jump down after you and have a soft landing" she said playfully. She walked over to the window to have a look how high up they actually were for herself and Hemi was right. She was beginning to get second thoughts about this whole situation but she didn't want Hemi to know that. So she turned around, smiled at him to reassure him that what they were doing was right. "This could be fun" she laughed.

Naturally Maddie expected Hemi to go first, of course he would, he'd show her how it's done. "Yeah this could be fun" Hemi parroted his friend, though a little less excited about the idea. "Okay I'm going to do it." He announced with a false tone of confidence, the longer he stayed starring out of a window, contemplating jumping out of it, the less keen he was.

This is what happened when he was in the forest with Maddie last time, he sort of wanted to head back but her enthusiasm kept him going... and then they met a centaur! He wasn't sure who was a bad influence on who in this friendship, Hemi for coming up with ludicrous ideas, or Maddie for entertaining them.

Not wanting to look a fool, he climbed out onto the window ledge."If I fall and die - tell my mum I love her" Not wanting to look a fool huh?

Maddie laughed, Hemi didn't seem too sure about going first or about doing the whole thing really. "Just remember it will all be worth it when we find Cain, or maybe one of his friends!" she said, her eyes twinkling at the prospect."You'll be fine Hemi, i'll be right here ready to grab you if you slip... which you won't!" she said reassuringly. Maddie felt a little bit guilty encouraging Hemi but it was harmless. It was harmless right? "It won't come to that Hemi! Don't worry!" she said batting the idea away. "we're going to do this!" Maddie moved closer to the window and watched as Hemi climbed onto the window ledge, her stomach did a little somersault as she watched him move slowly. She gritted her teeth and didn't take her eyes off him for a second.

Every cell in Hemi's brain was telling him to go back. He was the first to admit that he did reckless, irrational things every day but he usually just does them without thinking, he'd had too much time to ponder this one. He looked at Maddie, she was telling him to continue. Oh Merlin, what was the boy to do? It brought back memories of flying lessons last term, Hemi doesn't mind heights, but only when he's safe up high and hanging out of a window in the dark, in his head, was not safe up high.

He was stuck in a dilemma, on the one hand he had his head and his fears, on the other he had a girl. He took a deep breath, giving in to the encouragement of a girl and continuing. It was probably the wrong decision but at least he could prove to Maddie that he wasn't scared enough to climb out of a first story window. He carefully stepped further along the ledge and used stuck out bits of rock to climb down. All this for a girl! She better be worth it.

To be honest, she couldn't actually believe that they were doing this. Much less that they were actually getting away with it too! She felt quite giddy at the thought, she really hoped that they would find Cain again after all the trouble they had been through this evening. As Hemi moved away from the window Maddie jumped up after him and stepped onto the ledge after her friend. "Seems higher from this angle" she commented, letting out a nervous giggle. Even though it was only the first story window the wind seemed to pick up and Maddie felt extremely unsteady on the ledge. She wondered how Hemi was feeling about this. She didn't know if she would take up climbing as a hobby after this adventure. In the midst of all the 'fun' Maddie had shirked her look out duties and she swore she heard footsteps walking up the corridor behind them. "Hemi! psst! Hemi!" she tried to whisper to him to warn him about the impending intruder. This couldn't be good.

Even though she wasn't on patrol this evening, the professor found herself outside of her room pacing the corridors. Sleep had been extremely elusive with this pregnancy. The woman knew that it would only be a matter of time before her belly really popped, and then she would really lose out on sleep. It had happened with her other pregnancies as well. A quick trip to the kitchen for some warm pie and milk and the professor finally was beginning to feel sleepy. She headed back upstairs, her attention caught by some voices. She knew who was on patrol this evening and neither man had a voice quite so high as the ones she was hearing. The professor stepped off the landing on the first floor, instantly alert, wondering if another one of her colleagues was out and about as well. She wouldn't have minded someone to walk with as she headed back to her room. "Hello?" she called out quietly, rounding the corner.

Hemi smiled as Maddie climbed out the window after him. Honestly, he didn't think she was going to, but it reassured him that it can't be a bad idea if she was doing it as well. That was wrong of course and Hemi was not enjoying this experience. He didn't like heights!

He looked at her concerned though when she mumbled his name. Hemi, who was too far away to register footsteps, or a faint call, verbally responded to Maddie. "What? Are you alright?" He had no idea that they had an unwelcome visitor.

There's someone following us!" Maddie quickly whispered to Hemi. "What do we do?!" she asked him. Wait! ssshhh!" she heard the person inches away from them call out. Maddie tried to keep as quiet as possible, with only her fast breathing being the only audible sound. She hoped the person wouldn't be able to hear her, she was terrified of being caught. This was supposed to be an easy night, sneak out, go down to the entrance hall where the door would be open, walk to the forest, find Cain. But this night had been turned on its head, it was the complete opposite of what Maddie thought she would be doing.

The professor was surprised to find no one there when she rounded the corner. Her face bore signs of confusion as she spoke again, this time aloud to herself. "That's odd. I know I heard someone." The professor figured she must have been mistaken and turned to leave when she noticed the window as the curtain blew in. It was odd for a window to be open so wide at this time of night, any time really. They didn't want anyone falling out. The professor moved to the window slowly, curiosity getting the better of her. Her wand was in her hand, ready, and after a second she used magic to shut the window. The woman took a few steps away, but something still bothered her about the whole scene.

Hemi shut up as soon as Maddie mentioned an intruder. All things considered, they were in the best place to go undetected, and in the worst place if they were caught. He couldn't imagine the staff looking too kindly on two first years risking their own safety like this. Nothing however, prepared him for what happened next!

The window and their only way back into the castle was closed. Wide eyed Hemi looked at Maddie, it wasn't even 1 am, the two kids had a long night ahead of them if they didn't find another way inside. "They've closed the window haven't they?" He whispered, asking Maddie to confirm his suspicion. "What are we going to do?" This time he had no plan, other than to spend the night in the forest.

Soon after speaking, Hemi wiped a water droplet from his forehead, it was threatening to rain. "Uh-oh!" He said, looking up at the sky. At least it wasn't a full moon, that was something.

Maddie tried to hold he breath as she saw a shadow creep closer to the window and that person decided the close it. Her heart started beating ten times faster than usual when she realised that she was stuck outside the castle. She had to make a decision, stay out here all night with Hemi or bang on the window begging to be let in to face certain death! Well a bad punishment at least. Maddie was sure it was a Professor, she couldn't imagine a student going out of their way to shut a window in the middle of the night. No, it was a Professor or a prefect which meant they were definitely in trouble. She quickly glanced at Hemi when he asked her a question. "Er.. I don't know... I don't know Hemi!" she said, quite worried now. "We either stay here till the morning or we bang on the window to be let in but get caught" she explained. "Either way, it's not an ideal situation!" This was so stupid, she couldn't believe she went along with this plan. Why did she agree to do this? It was foolish! They were never going to make it to the forest and to top it off it started to rain. "If we don't want to get wet we need to get back inside the castle".

The professor was still pondering things as she took several steps away. On a whim, she turned around, wand in hand. "Homenim Revelio" she uttered, knowing she hadn't been crazy. Someone had just been there and they certainly hadn't had enough time to get to the other end of the corridor before she arrived. Besides, she would've heard them. The spell revealed two people, but it wasn't behind a curtain or anything like she expected. It was behind the stone wall of the castle. Outside. Cyndi gasped loudly, rushing to the window and throwing it open. She peeked her head out, disbelief and anger warring across her face as she spotted the two bodies that the spell had revealed. The wind whipped her hair immediately, the impending rain causing the winds to increase. "Inside. Now" she yelled, wondering who had put their lives in danger this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back