Yet another Quidditch Discussion

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Alright, so here it goes...

Quidditch, in my opinion at least, has never worked in its current format. Despite our very best efforts to coordinate games and play them in real time, they have typically been unsuccessful at best, nightmarish at worst. I have received a message from a new member (Monty Phoenix) who has some good suggestions and I believe that there are probably many more out there to fix it (or at the vey least improve it).

From an entirely selfish standpoint, I'd like to solve it now so that Bruin can at least compete for the Quidditch Cup before they kick him out of the school.

I like some of the rules (things like not letting people post actions consecutively, the use of the grid system to help visualize where people are, etc.), but believe the point system could be scrapped and that a game could be played out (i.e. RP'd) over the period of a week.

Not sure how we determine who wins, when someone scores, etc., but am open to some suggestions. Some thoughts I have include:
- a neutral party (administrator or someone else, flipping a coin to see whether a goal is scored or a keeper makes a save. Perhaps there are sites that allow for random results???)
- a panel of judges could cast votes for which team they felt RP'd their actions better and that could help determine the result of the game

Please let your voice be heard in this thread by June 5th so that we can make some proposals or decisions about the future of HNZ Quidditch.

Thanks, Bruin

The point systems for things have always been rough, and confusing for new members [as well as for some old ones (I'm still not sure I get it)].
I agree that playing the game out over a longer period is the best method.
I think that just a normal RP could be managed assuming you have a lot of cool headed RPers that understand their characters are not gods [so they don't always score] and that pay attention to who has the quaffle when.
I think that if the keepers were experienced role players [so each house would have to ensure their keeper is a veteran of sorts] then they could easily decide which goals would go in and which wouldn't. That would solve some problems, right?
I also think that the snitch should still be RPed, that way the seekers don't just randomly decide to end the game.

Well I having been browsing the Internet and found a coin flipper generator:

Coin Flip Generator

Of course it was always hard to rp a Quidditch Gamer because this site has attracted members from across the globe thus meaning Time Difference. Its hard for some people to be on all the time i.e. everyday due to RL etc and so the game did not flow. With the new "proposed" system I think that it will hopefully ensure that Bruin gets a couple of games under his belt and that it hopefully adds a new angle for HNZ and makes it even more interesting than before and it also allows the chance for Gryffindor win the Quidditch Cup :p j/k

Not sure how we determine who wins, when someone scores, etc., but am open to some suggestions. Some thoughts I have include:
- a neutral party (administrator or someone else, flipping a coin to see whether a goal is scored or a keeper makes a save. Perhaps there are sites that allow for random results???)
- a panel of judges could cast votes for which team they felt RP'd their actions better and that could help determine the result of the game

ok glad this topic got started up as I too would love to see a decent game in action.
Though I do happen to like the points and think they do tend to stop people getting ridiculous on the pitch.
I do like the coin flipping generator idea only as not all keepers are as great as Andy was :p
JK of course - but it would be best to keep it as neutral as possible.
the only thing with a panel of judges is - everyone on here as about several + different characters and many have a person in each house. You'll never get impartial judges!

I'd be afraid incase the game becomes about writing quality though and might put off those who are not as eloquent as others. Almost like a competition on writing skills instead of simply writing about playing the game. :blink: does that make sense?

The coin flipping/random generator wouldn't work, as it'd have to be one person to work properly and they can't be on everytime somebody RPs a shot at the keeper's rings. If they don't say if it goes in or not the game would freeze.
I don't think that method would work well.
How to choose the winner is obvious: Team with the most points.
10 points each goal. 150 points for catching the snitch.
Snitch still should work the same way as always on here.
I think that experienced role players being keepers and deciding what is a likely shot to get in would be the best solution and would easily eliminate the need for the points system. It'd be entirely trust based.
Then, supposing neither keeper lets any in, whoever catches the snitch wins the game for their team.
Seems to work out in my mind. :unsure:

10 points each goal. 150 points for catching the snitch.
Snitch still should work the same way as always on here.
I think that experienced role players being keepers and deciding what is a likely shot to get in would be the best solution and would easily eliminate the need for the points system. It'd be entirely trust based.
Then, supposing neither keeper lets any in, whoever catches the snitch wins the game for their team.

I'm willing to help and volunteer for whatever the teams would need to make this work. I agree with what Nick said above. ^_^

Whatever system is worked out, I'm totally here for whatever you need. ^_^

that's actually a sound suggestion Nick and good to know Liv :)
maybe we'll be able to get a game going after all ;)
I do think that doing it perhaps over the space of a week instead of a wkend might work out better - alot of people this time of year are heading off on vacation and others work at wkends.
It would just give people a better chance I think to keep the game going instead of it dwindling away - having alternate players come on as subs for anyone that has to leave and knows they can't post for a day or two(RL time) would also be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back