Y28 Electives Fair

Corrine frowned slightly as the woman mentioned ‘lots of practice.’ She nodded her head slowly, but her interest in Divination was fading as quickly as it had come. It seemed like the class was a whole lot more useful for students who had the gift and wanted to learn how to use it best. For everyone else, it was just a lot of hard work to perhaps do just a portion of what a Seer could do. At this point in her schooling, Corrine wasn't seeing the bigger picture though whether or not that was because she didn't have the sight was to be determined.

As soon as she could, Corrine took her leave, the woman still explaining to the guy why Divination was useful. Corrine saw that Aurora was at the Muggle Studies table, but she didn’t need to head there. She knew that it was one of the classes she might take just because of how interesting she found muggle stuff. So, she headed over to where Rose and Alex were standing. If they were interested, maybe it would be good fun to take Ancient Runes even if she'd have to have her Head of House as her professor. She stood by, waiting to hear what her Head of House or the other professor would say.

Wren was extremely fortunate that his Divination colleague was as diligent as she was, because if there was one event that the fifth-to-seventh-year Professor was consistently late to, it was the electives fair. Professor Pratt was in a great position to be able to connect with the prospective students as the third and fourth year teacher. If it was up to him, he'd never have any students because he'd never show up, and that would be a great shame for everyone involved. Wren was passionate about his subject and could wax poetic for hours, so he never failed to attend, but he often failed to miss the action.

When the Frenchman arrived in the Great Hall with his own personal setup for the older years, he came to join Kennedy and smiled in greeting as well as the students surrounding her.
"Please excuse me," he politely interjected as he set up a pouf and a small table. "My name is Professor Louise. I teach Divination for the upper years. I can also assist in answering questions, but for now, would anyone like to try a tea leaf reading? I have a variety of teas to sample. Palm reading is also available," he offered. Wren settled back to let Kennedy answer her questions while he hummed quietly to himself, pouring a strong rooibos for himself and Professor Pratt.

Professor Kingsley was glad to see so many students had come out for the fair today. As a small group of students gathered around the Ancient Runes table, Cyndi was pleased to see that there were students who were at least interested in learning more about the subject. She sat back, nodding as Kahurangi answered the question that the student had. As another student spoke, Cyndi nodded her head. "Yes, this is Ancient Runes" she said, with a small smile on her face. "It isn't an easy subject but we do have a lot of fun. The class starts off learning about Ancient Runes and its history and different uses in amulets, as text, and then you learn how to make your own set of ancient runes and power them up, and once you move into Professor Josephs' class, you learn how to conduct different kinds of readings meant for helping guide your life." That was a very simple explanation of what the subject entailed, but she hoped it was enough for the young girl to see if it was something she was interested in trying.

As the Electives Fair was underway, Bee mostly stood by the Ancient Runes table smiling at the students passing by. The professors had it all handled but as she saw someone leave the Divination table and come over to theirs, Bee grinned triumphantly. She couldn't help it, it was just in her nature to be competitive about everything. As the professors talked to the students at the table, Bee figured she could help draw more people in. She stepped out towards the middle of the courtyard, and yelled out, "Come see what Ancient Runes is all about! It's the best subject ever!!" Bee may have been exaggerating a little, but she wanted their table to be the most popular one there.

Rory listened raptly to the professor as she explained. Muggles couldn't regrow bones? She'd thought that electricity stuff could do everything. Once a Muggle broke a bone, was that it? Did they just walk around with snapped arms, or fingers? What if it was their leg? Hop around? Muggle life sounded way more exciting than she'd ever given it credit for. The rest of what the professor was saying was also kind of interesting, and the question was out of Rory's mouth instantaneously; "So what do they do, then?" The answer had suddenly become very important for her to know, right now.

The first thought that came to Tristan's mind when the professor told him she was not a Seer was fairly unkind, and he did not say it. But he couldn't help think that at least a Seer had some sort of proof that they were seeing things, in contrast to someone looking at 'signs' and making vague predictions that could apply to anyone that wanted to believe in it. Maybe the school hadn't been able to find a real Seer to be their professor? Her explanation about agency wasn't really comforting either. The fact that she thought some things happening in the future would definitely happen made him uncomfortable, his mind just balked at the whole idea. His mouth twisted and he sighed. "So you're saying that if you predicted I break my leg, it will definitely happen even if I try to prevent it? Maybe even because I try to prevent it and do something different than usual, causing it to happen regardless? I'm sorry professor but I find that hard to believe."

Then another professor appeared, and Tristan immediately figured he was the other Divination professor. He just had that look. Tristan tried to give him a polite nod, but his tense expression probably made it look less friendly than he had aimed for. At least this man was willing to show some proof, some example. "Alright then, I'll try a tea leaf reading." He told the professor with a shrug. At least this might give some results he could call into question.

Faida smiled at the girls enthusiasm and leaned a little bit closer, glancing about her as if she were about to let her in on a huge secret. Her voice dropped to a whisper.

"If you sign up for muggle studies, you will find out" she smiled kindly at the girl before turning to a stack of magazines she had on display, she picked up one regarding the latest in motorcycles and cars and another that was a medical journal, detailing recent break-through in medical research and technology, how far 3 and 4-D printing had come to create medical miracles in the way of organ parts and limbs that worked.

"Take these, read them and hopefully your interest will grow all the more" she held the magazines out to the girl and hoped that she had managed to get at least one to sign up for the following year.

Alex nodded along as Ancient Runes was explained to him. The other classes didn't really interest him, and he felt a strong connection to this class for some reason. He wanted to learn more of the history side of things. And being an Auror became his dream during his stay at Hogwarts. Maybe knowing ancient runes would help him identify clues better? Of course it would.

"That sounds great, Professor. I want to sign up for Ancient Runes, how does one do that?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back