Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Not wanting to be cooped up in the Great Hall, Professor Kingsley set up the tables and chairs for the fair in the courtyard. She'd left signs that were enhanced to name the subjects for her colleagues to use if they pleased. There was also a table full of snacks thanks to the house elves.

Glad to be done, Cyndi decided to wait for Professor Josephs to arrive before picking a table. She hoped this fair would be useful for the second years.

Ares had no idea what he wanted to do when he left school, he had no idea what he wanted to pick, and he felt very nervous the moment he had arrived at the electives fair, mostly because it appeared that the boy had appeared before most of the others, before some of the professors and the hufflepuff couldn't help but fidget with his hands as he looked over the courtyard. The boy wasn't going to venture out of where he stood, he wanted to talk to some of them, but he had no idea what to say, would these professor think less of him if he didn't pick their subject, that he didn't know what he wanted to do with his life. Ares could imagine countless stories with each of the classes he could pick and where that might lead him, he could tell the fortune of a famous person with runes, or join a circus and read tarot cards, he could train and tame dragons, he could study muggles, he could use maths to figure out paths for people, but he didn't know which to follow, which to actually be. Perhaps he just needed more time, time to come up with questions, a decision, even just an idea, to get his head of these stories and to the reality. But, Ares could not figure any of that, instead he stood, awkwardly shifting his weight between his feet and tugging at the sleeves of his jumper.

Kahurangi couldn't help remembering her own electives fair as she made her way down to the courtyard. Back then the amount of different options had been nerve-wracking, but looking back now, she couldn't help but think her nerves then had been nothing compared to her nerves on the other side of things, coming in as a teacher with the task of encouraging young students to choose her subject, showing them the beauty and potential of runes. It was... daunting, to say the least.

Kahurangi was relieved to see her fellow runes teacher already out in the courtyard and made a beeline for her, raising a hand in greeting as she approached. "Kia ora* Cyndi, where are we setting up shop?"

*Kia ora - Hello

"Hi!" Cyndi exclaimed to her colleague, happy that people were beginning to show up. "I was waiting for you to decide" she smiled. "If you like the sun, maybe that spot" she pointed to a far corner with a fair amount of sun. "And if you don't, maybe this one?" she gestured to her left, waiting to see which spot Kahurangi would pick. Cyndi was good with either spot.

Turning her attention to the student who'd entered the courtyard, Cyndi didn't recognize him as one of her Gryffindors. He looked a bit nervous, and the professor could feel the maternal tug to help put him at ease. It's what she would want someone to do for one of her children if they looked as anxious as this boy did. With a nod to her colleague, she headed over to the young boy. "Good morning. We're still setting up, but there are plenty of snacks over there if you want." She smiled, "Are you interested in any elective in particular?"

Anzhelika was excited to promote her subject. The new Professor hadn't known what to expect from her class, but alas with first term over she was ready for more third year students. While making her way to the courtyard, she wondered how else she could promote Care of Magical Creatures as a class. Anzhelika loved the subject and was pleased with her third year numbers this term, and hoped they wouldn't drop in years to come.

Finally getting to the courtyard, Anzhelika walked gracefully to set up her station. Now knowing what to do, the woman following the other professors, set up her station next to another woman professor. Smiling pleasantly, Anzhelika prepared herself for the questioning third years.

Jon always questioned the significance of his participation in the electives fair, though he also always showed up to give Sloane a helping hand if it was needed. Muggle studies was a subject that more or less got a lot of questions from curious second years and he was glad to be able to answer some of them despite only teaching the older years of the subject. He arrived to the courtyard that day, pleased with the new location as it was much sunnier and felt less cramped than in the great hall. He looked around the area, smiling at the other professors already setting up. When he noticed Sloane was yet to arrive he took the liberty of picking a table and setting up information about muggle studies in her place, hoping she would arrive soon as she knew more about the third year curriculum than he ever would.

Lilyanna was the most excited for the electives fair out of everything she had to do that year. She had made her way there prepared to thoroughly look through all of the information and pick the subjects that she knew were going to help her in the future. After all, choosing her electives were probably the most important thing that she would have to do in her life and she was not going to miss out on it. The second year quickly made her way there with a smile on her face and looked around at all of the stalls until she found the muggle-studies one. Muggle-studies was definitely the first on her list as it seemed like the most interesting. The Slytherin looked up at the man standing there. "Hello!" she exclaimed, hoping he would have all the answers she wanted. "How long have you been teaching muggle-studies for? What kind of things do we learn about next year if we choose to take the subject?"

Kahurangi listened to her fellow Ancient Runes teacher, relieved to see that Cyndi seemed to have things all planned out. "I think taking advantage of the sun would be nice." She smiled. When Cyndi turned her attention to a student Kahurangi stepped back, taking Cyndi's nod as approval to start setting things up. She wandered over to the sunny table and laid out her papers and books, as well as a bag of runes. If any students were curious, she thought it'd be neat to give them a little demonstration, show them just what the class was all about. Her section of the table arranged, Kahurangi sat back and watched, hoping a decent number of second years took an interest in the subject.

Sianna had to find out what the different was between arithmancy, ancient runes and divination because as she had been reading about the the differences seemed few and far between, they were all different methods of telling the future so which was the right to pick, she felt like muggle studies would be a good first class to pick but she need something else and care of magical creatures was definitely out, that left these three classes. She arrived at the courtyard promptly, standing at the edge for a moment scanning those who had already arrived before her gaze settled upon the ancient runes professor at the ancient runes stall, and so Sianna with determination in her step walked over, she cleared her throat to garner the professor's attention, "Professor, I would like to know how ancient runes, divination and arithmancy differ, I'd like to take at least one of the three but I don't know which, to me they seem to all be the same," she admitted, knowing that as a young girl, a second year it was alright for her to not be entirely sure what each of the classes were and which one would be the right one for her to take.

Ares realised just how early he was as he watched professors arrive to set up, but his indecision towards what to pick had driven him to be stood, nervous looking and trying his best to decide. Still tugging at the sleeves of his jumper, his gaze jittering between looking at his jumper sleeves and in front of him, he recognised some of the subject names as people had arrived but he couldn't decide which to speak to, who would help him, perhaps the better idea was to speak to his head of house allow her to help him, but the boy couldn't yet spot her amongst the professors and knowing she'd be here eventually he would've been satisfied to continue waiting, though his nervousness about this might've eventually just driven him to leaving. He was a little startled when someone spoke to him, a professor, the head of Gryffindor house, he nodded at the mention of snacks and then looked down at his hands as he nervously tugged at the sleeves, forcing himself to look back up at the professor as she spoke, "Not particular," he told her his voice a little quieter than normal, "I don't know what I want to do," Ares then added, since it was true he had no idea what he wanted to do following school and therefore he didn't know what to pick, believing that he needed to know what he wanted to do, to know which classes he needed.

Jon looked up from the stall he was setting up when he heard footsteps, smiling widely when a second year was the person approaching the stall. "Hello." He said. When the girl asked him about the third year curriculum he was considerably dumbfounded. He had never taught Muggle Studies to third years but he answered anyway not to risk sounding incompetent however he was sure he was bound to appear that way regardless. "I do not teach those years, but I'm sure you would learn the basics of the Muggle world. The curriculum should hopefully just be an introduction that will be expanded upon in later years." The last part was something he could confirm as he knew for sure what the later years of the subject entailed. Jon hoped this was enough of an answer for the girl because he wasn't sure of what else he was supposed to say.

Xavier did not know what electives he wanted to take, but he did know that he would prefer to spend time outdoors. He was glad that the electives fair existed for the purpose of him figuring it all out as he would be completely lost otherwise. He smiled as he walked into the courtyard and slowly made his way around the stalls, observing them and all the subjects that were offered as electives. Care of Magical Creatures eventually stood out to him so he stopped as he was walking past the stall to ask the professor a few questions. "What creatures do we learn to take care of?" He asked, hoping he would learn something about bugs or similar creatures if he chose to take the subject.

This year Wren was determined to be awake to present Divination to the younger students since Professor Pratt hadn't been able to attend last time. The Frenchman had set up his table, offered very nice refreshments and promptly fallen asleep at his chair. Maybe some of the younger students had come over, maybe they hadn't, but Wren didn't know one way or another and he was determined to fix it. As he levitated his equipment downstairs to display in the courtyard, Wren pondered whether or not he should get 'round to visiting a Healer, just in case there was something that could be done for all his nodding off.

Wren had a nice little table going before the students even arrived. A teapot with a set of two teacups with fresh leaves in the bottom, an orary with a birth chart below it, three sets of runes in bone, wood and stone, two tarot decks and a poster of basic palmistry lines. Hopefully some of the second years would be curious about the objects and come over to speak- Wren was passionate about his subject and eager to chat.

Sloane hadn't meant to be this late walking in, but it seemed as if she had let time get away from her. She sighed as she walked into the Great Hall. She knew she was probably late, and by the looks of it a few of the others had already set up. She hurried over to where she saw Jon with a younger student and waved at them both. "Professor." She nodded to him, quickly checking to see what the young student's question had been and realised that it was for her. "What Professor Phillips says is correct. What you'll learn with me will be expanded upon with him later." She said, smiling at the girl. "If you would like a more in-depth look at what you'll be learning I have a couple of hand outs here that you can look at!"

Lilyanna pursed her lips as she listened to what the professor had to say. She was quite confused as to why he was there when he didn't know much about the curriculum and just frowned at him, relieved when another muggle-studies professor, who would most likely be her professor next year, gave her a handout to look upon. The Slytherin began to read it and then looked back up at the pair of them, eager to talk about what she knew. "I found a muggle-studies textbook in the library once and I was just reading it for a bit of a head start. Inside it I found something about a t...type..writer and I drew a picture. You want to see?" She smiled up at them both, and without an answer she dug around in the pocket of her robes for the piece of parchment that she had drawn it on and unfolded it to reveal her drawing which she was very proud of. "I used a pencil that my parents bought me for my birthday. Do you like it?"

"Funny story" The professor began after hearing the student day that he didn't know what he wanted to do. The courtyard was filling up, and as she spotted Sloane, she knew that she wanted to encourage him to speak with her. "When I graduated from here, I was so sure I was going to end up an Obliviator. But then, the day after I had that interview, I was invited here to interview for an Ancient Runes position." She smirked at the boy, "And the rest is history. It's ok to not have your future planned out just yet." She nodded her head. Really, that was one of the best parts of being a kid. "Learn about all the classes and speak to your Head of House. Maybe that'll help you figure things out."

Arvo joined the elective fair happily, having trudged down each step, but not as grumpily as otherwise. He had a new moving image of his lastest grandson that kept him thoroughly entertained, with the little boy giggling with rosy cheeks and an overly excitable father in the background. The Arithmancer waddled his way into the courtyard, smiling at the nice weather they were having, and giving a quick greeting to his fellow professors as he past them. He clutched his cup of tea as he set up his area and took a seat, not sure if he should expect many to approach, as Arithmancy was rarely seen as an interesting or easy subject. Sitting quietly on his chair, watching the proceedings, Arvo wore a warm smile and sipped his tea.

Anzhelika was starting to get bored, no students had stopped by her table. Standing up, the woman rearranged her handouts once again keeping them nice and orderly. Taking her seat again, Anzhelika smiled when a lovely Hufflepuff boy came over. "Hello, in care of magical creatures we study a range of creatures such as households pets to flobberworms, to vampires,"she explained excitedly.
[/b]
<i></i>

Xavier's expression lightened up as the care of magical creatures professor mentioned the range of creatures he would learn about if he chose the subject as an elective. "Wait, we learn about flobberworms?!" He exclaimed, gasping in excitement as he stepped closer to the table to further show his interest. Admittedly Xavier knew nothing about flobberworms but the name did suggest they were bugs so he was curious to find out more. "Are they as cute as regular worms? Can I find them on school grounds if I searched for long enough?" His questions were rapid but so was his growing interest in care of magical creatures as he had not realized what the subject entailed before. He was definitely interested in choosing it as one of his electives now that he knew more about it.

Kahurangi tried not to be nervous as the first student approached her table, smiling encouragingly at the girl. After listening to her question, Kahurangi took a moment to ponder. It was a difficult one, and she wanted to make sure she phrased things right.

"Well... runecasting doesn't necessarily tell you the exact future, the same precise way a seer sees it." She said slowly. "Runes are a very specific set of tools that show paths and potentials. We don't work in absolutes, the same casting of runes answering the same question could mean very different things for different people, or even to the same person on different days, because situations change and outcomes change. But knowing how to ask the right questions and interpret the answers you get can help you make difficult decisions with the most fortunate path in mind, and be honest with yourself about the paths you want. You can see where you need to make changes, and where you're travelling in the perfect direction already." Kahurangi smiled encouragingly, hoping she had explained the subject in a way that helped.

"Runes also have a sort of... magic of their own. Individual runes can be worn as amulets, to guide or support you in a particular area, and just like any other magical tool or symbol, as you become more familiar with your runes, you'll learn to draw strength and wisdom from them in your own way." Kahrangi continued, touching a hand idly to her bag of runes. "Plus, the runic alphabet is handy for writing secret messages you don't want other people to be able to read." She added with a grin, remembering her own days of writing her diary in runes, to keep her innermost thoughts private from any nosy dormmates.

Zared definitely didn't want to be here, but he realised that he needed to be, he didn't want to be brought up in front of Styx so he ended up being at the elective fair. Zared already knew what he would be taking, and there was no real need for him to be at this, but he knew that if his head of house had known that he'd intention skipped it, well, Zared didn't need that kind of trouble. The young slytherin was unsurprised to find that of all the people at this event very few there were slytherin, and he definitely couldn't imagine Lestat coming to this, although the other boy's company would've been welcome to Zared. He wandered around, looking at the table with fake interest, not uttering a word to any of the professors, not posing any questions, just looking and occasionally listening to the other questions given by students and the answers given by the professors, by the time he'd gone around twice the young slytherin had realised that his choices would be the right ones, and he was feeling pretty proud of himself for having rightly chosen, perhaps this hadn't been so much of a waste as he'd believed it to be.

Sianna was pretty curious about what the professor's response would be and looked to her with a curious expression when she began to reply to her, Sianna's reading on the subjects could not have matched the woman's description definitely interested her, the Serbian girl had been siding towards arithmancy but she was beginning to think that perhaps that internal decision had been wrong and the right class was the one this woman was describing, and periodically Sianna nodded in understanding, thinking of how interesting it would be to use runes as protections, so could imagine that picture wise, runes made for better pictures than Arithmancy ever could. The girl nodded again as the woman finished speaking, "Thank you," the young ravenclaw said sincerely, since she was very thankful for the help that had been given to her by the woman, and was definitely now interested in the class, she wasn't sure if she should tell her, or just wait to turn up in the subject come third year, in the end Sianna just nodded once again as she brushed a strand of her hair from her face and began walking away, still considering what had been said. Sianna hadn't been great at maths, in her brief encounters with it, perhaps this was better, she now felt certain in what she desired to do, or at least in two subjects that took her fancy.

Sloane smiled as the student, who she assumed she would be seeing next year, rummaged around for a picture she'd drawn. Sloane always enjoyed seeing the interest on the faces of her students. She took the picture that was offered to her and was rather impressed by the quality. "Oh, wow. This is very functional. Well done!" It was nice that she was taking an interest so early in her academic year. Sloane was tired of teaching the students that picked it only out of necessity, she wanted a little variety in her life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back