Y19 Quidditch

It's a brilliant idea. :D I just love the buttons!
Plus, the game moves way faster. :p

I can't remember how much was shared or discussed when the new system was announced, but one of the things we identified was we wanted the games to be about roleplaying again. So we wanted to eliminate rules and force people to roleplay unique scenarios and have fun doing it. We could have taken more time to code a more complicated system that kept track of the quaffle and bludgers, that required players to identify their targets for bludger hits, to pass the quaffle using the system and identify who they were trying to pass to - but we feared this would also slow the games down and burden the roleplay. We wanted the system to serve the roleplays: not the roleplays to serve the system.
So, the system is simple. It lets you click a button and it tells you if you succeed, and you have to roleplay that. You could click the button even when it doesn't make sense: a chaser could click to score even if they don't have the quaffle - and that's why we have a referee and it encourages people to follow the actual roleplay as it unfolds.
It also eliminates the tediousness of points from the previous system, and people scheming to ensure their points got the maximum amount of bang-for-their-buck (or so to speak) - it weights players so better players have better odds of succeeding but also adds an element of luck and chance to the game: just like a real sport. Roleplayers aren't very good at being honest about a character's abilities, generally, we all like to roleplay successful people who can do things: not failures who are just bad at stuff or randomly fail sometimes. So this just helps keep things grounded without controlling everything.

[/rant]

I'm tempted to have my chaser get so nervous if so many people are around her to drop the quaffle. xD That's really realistic. :r

You're a Gryffindor. That's maybe a bit too realistic. :glare:
We need to win! :p

xD I love the system. Never played Quidditch before anyway, but it's a lot of fun! Though I'm pretty confused, since my two options are 'Catch snitch' or 'Other action' and I don't know whether I'm allowed to click catch snitch or not =)) Or what it'll do!

Yeah, Bridget has a bit of a fear of heights so I can see her failing somewhere :r

Tell ya what, next time I post I'll click it and see what happens :r

Well, it would be a Puff doing the dropping.
But I wouldn't want people to think I am playing for just one side. :tut:

Bridget Riley said:
xD I love the system. Never played Quidditch before anyway, but it's a lot of fun! Though I'm pretty confused, since my two options are 'Catch snitch' or 'Other action' and I don't know whether I'm allowed to click catch snitch or not =)) Or what it'll do!

Yeah, Bridget has a bit of a fear of heights so I can see her failing somewhere :r</FONT>

Tell ya what, next time I post I'll click it and see what happens :r

Do it! What could happen is you could catch the snitch. :p
Belladonna Metzger said:
<FONT font="georgia">What happens if Gryffindor loses? xD
Kingsley will disown the team. So win. :glare:

Poor Kelsey is beside herself. She gets too excited sometimes :r

Professor Cyndi Kingsley said:
Belladonna Metzger said:
What happens if Gryffindor loses? xD
Kingsley will disown the team. So win. :glare:
This is the only appropriate response.
Bridget Riley said:
Unless a seeker is doing something else important, you should pretty much always be trying to catch that snitch. :p
You'll fail most of the time. Which is appropriate: the snitch is hard to get. But you could get it in the first few minutes of a game.

Try catching the snitch then! :D We might win! :r

Sarah Keith said:
Oh, sorry.
Did I say try to catch the snitch? :doh:

No, no, no.
The goal of the game is to absolutely never catch the snitch.

Nicolas King said:
Sarah Keith said:
Oh, sorry.
Did I say try to catch the snitch? :doh:

No, no, no.
The goal of the game is to absolutely never catch the snitch.
Don't be so evil, Nick... :unsure:

Bridget Riley said:
Also, if I try and fail to catch the snitch, am I allowed to RP that actually happening? (Probably, I just hate getting things wrong :unsure: )
You definitely should. Any time you press a button, that's an RP post - success or failure, you do what it says.
But roleplaying a failure shouldn't always be "it was just centimetres away, did a sudden dive, and was completely gone." - sometimes it might just be you thought you saw it but it was the sun's glare off some guy's glasses in the stands.

Nicolas King said:
Bridget Riley said:
Also, if I try and fail to catch the snitch, am I allowed to RP that actually happening? (Probably, I just hate getting things wrong :unsure: )
You definitely should. Any time you press a button, that's an RP post - success or failure, you do what it says.
But roleplaying a failure shouldn't always be "it was just centimetres away, did a sudden dive, and was completely gone." - sometimes it might just be you thought you saw it but it was the sun's glare off some guy's glasses in the stands.
Ahh, perfect explanation. Thank you =))

Who will be the first to score? D:

I have no idea.. xD

Sarah failed! D: I want her to be first :r

Belladonna Metzger said:
If it's not Gryffindor will we be punished? :(
Lets not find out shall we? Gryffindor quaffle is up for grabs :r

Belladonna Metzger said: