Whoever said labour should be easy?!

Saphire Mintkin

OOC First Name
Chalky
Saphire led holding her stomach, trying to find where the little heads were inside of her. She was two months off of her due date to meet him or her properly. She was thinking Freya for a girl, or Harvey for a boy. She hadn't had a scan or anything yet, she didn't want to know the gender, she'd love it the same either way. And she didn't like the idea of people getting involved with her, she hated doctors or anyone else coming into her bubble, even Sam at times wasn't allowed near her. Her general mood her been decreasing ever since she left the Mintkin house six months ago.

She rolled over onto her back and watched Sam changing into the shorts he wore at night. She had been drifting away from him, and she didn't know why, it was like they were tapering away and there was nothing she could do to stop it. And in a sense that she hated, she didn't know if she wanted to stop it either.

She suddenly felt a sharp pain, not too bad, but very noticeable. It passed quickly enough though, and she let the thought go. A few minuets later, after Sam had climbed into bed with her, she felt it again, but this time it was harsher. "Sam! Something hurts!" she pulled herself up into a half sitting possition, "Sam! Something really really hurts!!"

Sam didn't want to be in this house any more, he wanted to be in his own house, with his own family, and his old-self back. He felt drained, the work he'd been doing wasn't as had as his training, but it was still exhausting.

He searched around the room through the piles of random stuff he'd left out. He didn't like house elves cleaning in his room, it was his personal space, and besides, he'd been used to living in a messy place, it felt like home this way.

He climbed into bed next to Saphire, noticing she was facing the other way, he decided not to interfere with whatever thoughts were running through her messed up head. He pulled the cover up over his chin and turned away form her, trying to block her out from his conciousness, trying to think about his next job from Benny. He was worried about this one, it would be the hardest job he would have to complete on his own, without assistance. But if Benny thought he could do it, it wasn't worth getting too worked up about...

He had just reached the comfortable drifty place before sleep when Saphire's scared voice pulled him back. "Whaa... Whats wrong" He rubbed his eyes and turned to face her. "Whats the matter?" He didn't really care too much, he was too tired and didn't think it could be anything important.

Saphire turned to Sam as the pain went again, "I think something's happening with the baby I, I don't know, its not right. Its too early!" She knelt on the bed with one hand down supporting her, the other holding the bump. "Sam! I really... AHH!!" The pain came back, the gap was shorter and the pain more intense again. "SAM!!" She almost screamed at him, reaching for him.

It suddenly dawned on Sam what was happening, she was going into labour, two months early. Great! he thought, just what I need, right now. He pulled the covers off of the bed and moved Saph to the middle, even though there was more of than usual, she was still very light weight. "Look, just... just try to relax. It'll be ok." His hands shook as he tried to calm her down "Mrs K! Mrs Kalforovich! Heeyy!!" He ran to the door, trowing it open "Heyy! Shes ... giving birth!!" or something...

Taneaka heard screaming upstairs and, before she even considered going up and investigating, her name was yelled down the stairs by their male guest. She waved her wand, serving the childrens meal by magic, and swiftly walked to their room. The elegant woman never ran anywhere, not yet anyway.

Taneaka barged into the room and immediately assessed the situation. Saphire was definitely in labour, that was for sure. "Sam, go summon me a healer. Now!" She demanded, the tone could make the strongest of men crumble. She then hurried to the poor girl, not caring for the state of her dress, it would get ruined at some point and she rarely wore the same thing twice anyway.

"Saffie, darling, I need you to listen to me." The older woman conjured a stress ball and put it into the hand of the girl. "I know it sounds stupid but I need you to breath steadily for me. It will hurt a lot less, trust me, I've done this three times." She conjured some warm towels, sheets and all the other essential items as well as the baby's things.

"I'm going to have to move you, okay." Taneaka decided to do that with her wand, to make sure it would go smoothly. "Ready?" She got her wand at the ready. "Three, two one." Taneaka levitated the girl and quickly sorted out the bed into an appropriate birthing area before lowering her. "Remember to breath hunny." She spoke softly before walking to the door. "Get a bloody move on Samuel!" She bellowed through the halls of her house.

Saphire could hardly concentrate on what the woman was saying to her, let alone follow instruction. With every contraction that came, she screamed louder and more primeval, she was not in a state to do anything she was told, this was too painfull, and after only five or ten minuets, she already didn't feel she could make it.
On receving the stress ball, she squeezed it so hard it almost burst, before throwing it down in temper, "Wheres Sam?! SAM!!" She cried to she fiance. No matter how much they weren't getting along at the moment, this was a little more important, and she wanted him!
She rolled away from Taneaka, grabbing the covers on the otherside of the bed to turn and held her bump and the recent contraction weakened. In a slightly calmer tone, she said "My waters, they haven't broken yet. Will that happen soon? Its suppost to, isn't it?!" She asked without even looking at the woman.
She was so warm, but she shivered and shook, from nerves of course and her hormones sending her temperature (alone with a lot of other things) mental!
A couple of minuits later, a longer gap than had come before for some reason - not that that mattered, she had read that that almost always happens - the pain came again. "AHHH!! SAAAAM!!" She screamed, pulling her knees under her bump, and holding it tight, in the hope it would comfort it, even though it didn't do anything to relieve it!

OOCOut of Character:
I'm confused about the summoning of the healer, having a dim moment, remind me to ask you next time I see you please... lol. :r

Sam left willingly when Mrs K ordered him to, not only because he was scared of her, but also because he was scared of Saphire right now, or more like scared of what was going to happen to her. Although he had lots of younger siblings and cousins, he had never been involved in a birth before!
He ran down the stairs at full pelt and summoned the healer as Mrs K had asked, with the assistance of the house elf Chalky, who - after getting over the giggles of seeing a man she was scared of in such a cuffufle - decided to help him. Sam thanked the elf and ran back up the stairs, tripping as much on the way up as he had on the way down, hearing the screams of his name he was scared to go back into the room, but he knew he had to.
"Saph. Saphie... ow, my knees hurt..." he moaned quietly and rubbed where he had fallen on his way to the bedside to hold her hand.
He looked up at Mrs K, "I summoned the... the healer. I think he'll... she'll... they'll be her soon." He dropped his head down on the bed, he was exhausted from his day, he didn't need all of this now, especially not in his room. He wanted to sleep!

Taneaka turned when Sam came back in the room. "Good. I suggest you don't let her hold you. It may sound nasty but you don't want any broken bones." She walked over to Saphire and rolled her back. The older woman took a breath before pinning her down and yelling. "You listen right now or I will have to body bind you." She breathed again before walking to the door.

Taneaka yelled across the hall to her husband. "Benson, the baby is coming, get in here now." She yelled. She assumed the kids would be smart enough not to disrupt them. She moved back to the pregnant woman. "No, that doesn't always happen in that order. Now breath and the pain will decrease."

Saphire tried to pull away from the woman, she still didn't rust her completely, and didn't really want her controlling her, she didn't want anyone telling her what to do, she wanted Sam and nobody else "Get off of me!" She moaned through the pain. "Sam, please! Come here!" she held out a hand towards him, wanting so much for him to intrude and send everyone away. This was their baby, nobody else's, it was supposed to be between them! She gritted her teeth and kicked her legs out and back as she felt the next contraction coming. "Sam!" she yelled at him again, with not an inch of patience in her tone.

Sam frowned at the woman attending to his fiancée, he knew she was trying to help her, but no matter how much he and Saphire had been drifting apart recently, nobody was allowed to hurt her, she was his treasure, the thing he protected with every ounce of himself if necessary. He wanted to be with her, as much as he could. He ignored the warning of 'broken bones' and shuttled round to the other side of the bed and held Saphire's hand hard, she was so skinny and tiny that no matter how much pain she was in, surly she couldn't even hurt him, let alone break his bones. "I'm here, shhh, it'll be ok. It'll be over soon, I promise." He didn't know if even he could believe in what he was saying, he had no idea if this was how things were supposed to happen or whatever. "What happens now? Whaa... what are we supposed to do?!" He asked Mrs K.

Taneaka stood back and frowned with frustration. She watched as Sam stupidly ignored her advice and Saphire fought against her. She sighed when the boy asked her what to do. "Sam I can't do anything unless she trusts me. She obviously doesn't. There's nothing I can do." She turned and walked towards the door.

Taneaka had a lot to do and, although it seemed harsh, she had no time to waste on someone who didn't want or appreciate her being there. "Summon me if you get stuck. I'll heal your hand later." If there was one thing for sure in this pregnancy, it was the inevitable breaking of his bones.

Saphire held her bresth and clenched her fists tightly around Sam's hand, trying to put her mind a little off of the pain. It didn't work in the slightest. It felt like time was moving so slowly, but like the pain had been there for so long, shed been in labour half an hour. "Sam for gods sake! Wheres the healer?! I... need... pain reliefe!! NOW!" She screamed at him, now gasping for breath. Surely Sam knew of something that could relax her, take the pain away in some way! This was unbareable!

Sam flinched at Saphire's behaviour, he had never seen her like this before, it was like she was a different person, and he was more scared of her than he was on any of the jobs he did for benny. Which is saying a lot. He held of of Saphire's hands in each of his, to sored the squashing out, "Saph. Saphy listen to me!" He stared wide eyed at her, his voice tremoring "I can relieve the pain a little, I think, but you need to let go of me for just a minuit while I get my wand." He started to squeeze away from her grip and stood up, grabbing his wand from his belt were in was tucked.

Sam said the incantation and relieved her pain as much as he could, it wasn't alot, but it was all he could do. And surely a little was better than usual. But when he gave his hands to her again, just as the next contraction came, he lost his sence of pride. He could practicaly feel the bones in his hands bending out of shape, and then at the top of the creshendo of her pain, Snap! Snap!! SNAP!! Two in his right and one in his left hand. And Taneaka's last sentence suddenly made sence to him! "Saph!!" He squeeled in a tone far too high for a man to make!

Benson knocked on the guest room door before opening the door. He had become more comfortable with this couple as they had lived here. He watched as Sam got his hand broken and smiled and he remembered the birth of his children, and his step children, he would be stupid to think all of the children were his. During all of their births he had recieved at least one broken bone, sometimes more. With Ivana's birth he also got a dislocated shoulder. His wife may seem above it all but she was violent and strong when she needed to be.

"The healer just floo'd. He can't make it, he's already helping someone give birth." Benson sighed. This was why they were trying to find a personal healer, so this wouldn't keep happening. "It's okay, Taneaka has birthed children before." He looked around and saw no sign of his wife. He knew she had no patience for tedious things but he assumed she wouold be here to help birth Saphire's baby. "Where is my wife?"

Sam hardly noticed the man walk into the room, only noticing him when he said the healer wasn't coming! He must have been hearing things, surly the healer would be here! Then it dawned on him that Mrs K had left as well and he doubted there was anyone in the house that could birth a baby, particularly to a woman panicking this much "What the hell do you mean?! He has to be here! He has to!" He looked back at his wife who was breathing hard, he tried to ignore the pain in his hands, that was really rather a lot (Apparently childbirth is painful to the father too!) "I don't know where she is, she's gone that's all I know!" Speaking in a tone probably too rude for his boss! "I'm sorry sir but please, can you try to find her for me?! PLEASE!!" a tear rolled down his cheek as panic took over.

Benson thought for a second, his wife would only leave for a reason. "Well why did she leave? I know my wife, she'd only leave if she was no use here and she obviously is." He looked at the screaming woman and shrugged. He ignored the tone in which his employee spoke to him, he was under pressure, in more way than one, so he got let off. This was one of the few exceptions he would give.

Sam felt a tear roll down his face as he panicked as Saphire's contractions came closer and, well, louder! His palms dripped with sweat and his limbs shook. "Please sir, could you find her for us! Please!" his voice cracked through the last few words, he tried to comfort Saphire, and to relieve her pain slightly again. "Saphy, shhh, its ok, breath, slowly, in, out, in, out..." his own sentence getting quicker as he went on, panicking. "Please sir, we do need her, we really need her, I don't know what to do!" More tears rolling down his face.

Benson nodded and left the room. He walked to the top of the staircase before bellowing for his wife. Their house was quite large and the baby could be born before he would find her. "Taneaka! I believe you are required!" He yelled before hearing the slow steps of his wifes shoes. He watched as she hurried past him and into the room he had just come from. Benson, no longer being needed, then walked to his office and poured himself a glass of firewhiskey. The house was going to be hectic for a while.

Taneaka sighed and made her way back to the room, passing her husband on the way. She stood in the door way before waving her wand. She had delivered enough babies to know what to do and Saphire was close to birth. A pot of Ice appeared on the bedside, a row of warm towels by the door next to a bowl of warm water.

Taneaka summoned a chair and sent Sam flying to it. "I suggest you stay there. Either this is happening my way or you're learning how to deliver a baby on your own." Taneaka's voice was scarily calm and stern. She had spent years perfecting the tone after all.

Taneaka waved her wand again, placing Saphire in the correct position for labour, and placed the wooden stick on the bedside table next to the ice. "Saphire, listen. This hurts like hell now so we want to make it go faster, that means you have to co-operate okay?" Taneaka would refuse to help her if she pushed against her.

Saphire was exhausted. An hour had passed since her first contraction, but it felt like 12. She didn't have much concept of what was happening around her, except the things that directly involved her, like Sam's hands disappearing from hers, "SAM!!" She tried to grab at him, she needed him, and something to squeeze, not noticing the fact she had already snapped bones in his hands!!
She heard what the woman was saying to her, but co-operating was not likely to happen while this pain was still with her. If she had givenborth to children naturally before, they must have been tiny very slippery, because there was no way she could understand this pain, even though she had children, Saphire doubted she actually knew much about childbirth and didn't trust her! "You listen to me!" She panted in the brief period between contractions, grabbing hold of the front of the woman's dress "I want Sam, and I want him here now! I am the one in labour, I am the one who can feel it! And I know something isn't right! I may have not done this before, but it doesn't feel right! I know it!!"

Taneaka grabbed her wand again and easily removed the womans hand. "No! You listen to me. I need him over there for the next minute or two so I can give you pain relief. If he is holding your hand then it dilutes it so you can live without him for a while." Bored of the womans back chat, she silenced her and, knowing the man was protective, made sure he couldn't leave the chair.

Taneaka took a breath and went about administering multiple pain relief spells to help with the birthing. When she was finished, under a minute later, she returned Saphire's voice. "Sorry, but some things are necessary." She removed the chains and allowed Sam to return to Saphire's side, now it was safe for her to do so. "I suggest letting her hold your other hand for now, I will heal your hands when she has given birth." Taneaka's tone was back to being maternal. She was a wonderfully motherly figure but, when she knew she knew best and others wouldn't pay attention, she lost it quite spectacularly.

Taneaka checked on Saphire's progress. "Darling, you're at eight centimeters. At ten you will have to start pushing. Until then I suggest you eat the ice I've put on the side next to you, it will help cool you down and relax your body." She waved her wand once more, to change her clothes into something more suitable to be delivering a baby in. She had been wearing a fine, red velvet gown but was now in simple scrubs.

Sam was most displeased by the way him and his wife were being treated, being chained up and being made unable to show true feeling and emotion were his biggest fears, and they were happening very overtly to both him and Saphire. Although he probably would care this much for saphire ever agian, and even he had worked that much out beforehand, he would always love their child though, even if he and its mother were drifting away.

He tugged at his chains and called and muttered obscenities of his fear, anger and state of 'well-being'! He watched the expression on his wife's face change and the pain slipped away from her somewhat. It seemed as if it was also working on him, like seeing her calm was also putting him at more piece.

When the chains were broken he immediately returned to Saphire's side, holding both her hands with both of his, and in reply to Mrs K, with a slightly calmer tone than before "To be honest, I know both of my hand are already broken, and she's not squeezing so much now, and I care more about her than her comfort than that of my hands!" he laughed shortly and awkwardly, as you do in stressful situations.

Sam helped Saphire with the ice and dried her head. He looked her directly in her eyes, he had never seen her look like this, she didn't just look in pain, but she seemed to be a totally different person. Wild!

Taneaka smiled graciously at Sam and continued with her preparations. The contractions got closer together until, eventually, she was ten centimeters. "Now, Saph, you're going to have to start pushing okay?" The woman spoke calmly as she gave the instructions and prepared herself for the next few hours ahead.

It took six hours but, eventually, Taneaka stood with a crying baby in her arms. "Well done darling, it's a beautiful little girl." She smiled and magically cleaned the baby before handing her to Saphire. Taneaka then, as she promised, healed Sams' hands. She wasn't sure what but something was wrong, at least, not right. "Sam, why don't you take her through to the nursery while we finish up here?"

Being a very small built woman, Saphire's pregnancy had not been easy, and going into labour was far form easy for her either! She still had very little concept of what was going around her, the pain was unbearable, she wanted it over, and she wanted to sleep. The desire to push was so strong before she actually had to do it, once instructed to begin it was suddenly too painful.

But once the baby was born, it was like all the pain had just washed away, like mud washing off in the shower. "Let me hold her!" Saphire cried with joy. She was the most beautiful thing Saphire had ever seen, quite small even for a newborn, but a lovely colour and the sweetest little cry. She could hardly bare to let her go when Taneaka gave her to Sam to take away. "Whats wrong? You look worried. Whats the matter? Why can't I hold my baby?!" she rambled getting more and more worked up, until once again the pain of contraction hit her!

The expression of relief on Sam's face was practically mirroring Saphire's. He fell to his knees at the sight of his beautiful daughter. Of course he would have preferred a son, but she was wonderful nonetheless. There were tears pouring from his eyes as the tiny child was passed to him, he gazed into her eyes as she nestled into him.

Sam thought nothing into Taneaka's tone, but when he heard Saphire getting very worked up and distressed "Whaa.... What's wrong?" he mumbled holding the baby close to his body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back