When the Caged Bird Sings

Hollace Lutrov

Wand
Yew Wand 14" Essence of Fairy Dust
Hollace's heels clicked loudly on the flagstone. It was dark in this part of the street, much darker than she'd thought it would be. Sometimes she wished she would have listened to her older brother and just kept walking to the shops in the harbor. Or even taken a nice long hike to the village for her shopping. Yet she'd heard interesting things about Bleak Street and had wanted to experience the shops for herself. She had found a wonderful trinket box, small enough to fit a few momentos inside, so her day hadn't been a complete waste. Getting herself lost in this alley however hadn't been what she'd planned on.

She passed by a group of very scruffy looking young men who wreaked of stale body sweat and firewhiskey. One of them, a red necked and pockmarked fellow, called out to her. "Hey honey what's your rush?" She continued walking until they started to tail her. Hollace turned to face them. "First of all, I'm not your honey. Secondly, that is not how to get a lady's attention." She could mimick her snooty, cold blooded aunt perfectly and had made fun of her so many times throughout the years that it was amazingly simple to turn that cold lady of the manor voice to them.

"Yeah but we don't see no lady." The group snickered. "C'mon." Faster than Hollace had given him credit for, as he was a fat oaf in her estimation, he'd grabbed her wrist in a grip that threatened to break it. "Let-me-go," she growled. They began laughing again.

Sticking to the shadows is what Hades knew best. Today was a free day for him. It was not often that he would be lurking in Bleak Street. His trenchcoat fluttered behind him, as he took on a more ghostly and eerie appearance. Just cold was upon his eyes and features. He felt nothing...and that was the way he liked it. His stormy eyes darkened from the lack of light in the shadows, and as he curved around, he stopped, seeing a scene before him that boiled his blood.

By no means, was he protective or in love with Hollace, though admiring her could be a possibility. Just this scene of grown and not to mention putrid men surrounding an innocent female. Hades may be a killer, but even he had a sense of right and wrong, and this was so disgusting, it made him want to kill these men right here and now. Keeping that savoring attitude for later, Hades stared at the scene, and he narrowed his eyes at the motions that the men were taking. The five men...and they all had weaknesses. Today, they would not be receiving their prey, but rather something much more...honorable. Defeat.

Hades apparated in front of the male who had Hollace by the wrist. His own hand clinched his, and Hades squeezed as hard as he could, until he heard a sickening snap. "That's not very nice..." Hades cooed at the men in mock. Hades used one of his ghostly hands to shove the man away, and the other four advanced. He tuned out their drunken words. Hades narrowed his eyes at one of the men who approached him, and Hades reacted smoothly. His hand went out, and grabbed him by the throat and used his own force against the man, shoving him onto the ground. Hades felt a jab to the ribs from another man, and he hissed. Hades punched the man that dared to hit him in the face, with enough force to break his nose. Seeing that enough was enough, Hades resumed his position in front of Hollace, pulling out both a dagger and wand, and he warned the men in a threatening, icy manner, "You boys best be on your way, or perish and let the crows devour your rotting carcass."

Hollace stepped back as she was forcefully released. The loud crack of the man's wrist roiled her stomach, fighting with the butterflies that had appeared in there when Hades had appeared. His voice sent shivers down her spine and she watched with dark brown eyes as he easily dispatched most of them with deadly yet restrained movements. The flow of his trenchcoat about his tall, built body was truly awesome to behold. She stepped forward, her hand out to warn him when one of them went to hit him. Then Hades was in front of her once more, his broad shoulders to her. He was deadly, he was beautiful and in that moment she knew she could very well owe him her life. But she would never admit it to him. After all, he'd mocked her once for being able to take care of herself.

She peered around his arm to watch as the gang of would be cutthroats picked themselves up and began to run hastily from the alley. Part of her wished they would have stayed and met their sticky end. Hollace knew she should thank Hades, had even opened her mouth to do so. Except the words that came from her mouth were; "I thought I told you I never wanted to see you again."

Without even a smirk of satisfaction when the men picked themselves up and left, Hades rolled his stormy eyes at their behavior. Had they not had a right state of mind, and worked together, then he knew that it would have been far more difficult to defeat them. Those words however caused Hades to smirk. Rather than answering right away, he put his weapons of mass destruction inside his trenchcoat once more, and he turned to face Hollace. Hades responded, "I know that is what you said, but that is a lie. You have seen me, before now, haven't you." However, it was odd. Whether or not she really saw him was a mystery. But the damage that he had done to her, would she be picturing him everywhere she went now?

Even though at times, it was really him. "Never say never..." is the words he departed her with last. And they were true. All amusement fell from his face, as he took on a more serious approach, "Words of gratitude would be more appropriate for this event. I did not have to come and save you from dire...consequences but I did. I could have been heartless and let them drag you off to the abyss and do worst things than something I could have ever done. But no, I went out of my way to save you. If they were in the right state of minds, then I know for a fact that I couldn't have gotten out of that with just a punch to the ribs." Hades glanced down at his chest, and though he felt no pain, he was sure that there was a mark there, if not a bruise.

"Think about those words." Hades turned his back on her, and started to walk away at a slow pace.

Hollace could have gone after him and probably should have. Yet she stood there with her hands cupping her elbows and watched him walk away. She had to let him walk away even though everything in her was screaming at her to run after him. To tell him thank you. To tell him so many things. But she let him go and knew she had to. Turning, she picked up her bag that had dropped to the ground and took out her wand. Apparating back to the Leaky she slowly walked up the stairs, her hand trailing along the banister. Why hadn't she thanked him? Hollace went through the motions of undressing and stepped into the hot water of the shower. She hadn't even attempted to show him any gratitude. She grimaced moments later as she plaited her hair into two thick braids, sitting on her bed in her nightgown. Hollace slid beneath the cool sheets and laid her head on the pillow. She stared into the dark and as she fell asleep, she thought of him.

After walking a while, Hades planned. He may have promised not to mess with Hollace's brother but he never said anything about messing with Hollace. A devil's smirk appeared and he apparated into the shadows. He stepped out of shadows in Hollace's apartment. Hades watched her lay down and sleep. Hades timed it, and after an hour she was fast asleep. Hades approached her bed side, and he knelt over to hear her sleep. If she was in a deep enough sleep to take. And she was. Hades gently lifted her up, bridal style, cradling her in his arms. Hades glanced about, and he used his wandless magic to make the bed perfectly. With a smirk upon his face, he apparated to his home once more. He put her on the bed in which was hers in his home, and covered her with the thick blanket. Hades thought amusingly, I just wonder how she will react to this. He exited the room, to go read in his study.

Hollace murmured in her sleep and turned over in her bed. Lately it had been harder to stay asleep during the night. She would wake up entangled in her covers and eventually just get up to make herself something in the kitchen downstairs. She was halfway down the hallway when she noticed the Leaky smelled different. There wasn't that yeasty smell that came from serving so much ale or the sleeping sounds of those renting rooms. Her fingers trailed along the dark walls and it was the light coming from under a closed door that drew her. Hollace felt as though she were in some sort of dream, her lids heavy, her face rosy and flushed from sleep. Slowly she reached out and turned the knob. The door opened without a squeak in the hinges unlike the ones where she lived. Candlelight flickered in the room and she paused in the open door way, rubbing her eyes tiredly. Everything had a dream cast to it. Perhaps caused by the candlelight and that she wasn't in her own 'home'. She walked with slow steps into the room and then she stopped. "Hades?" Her voice was lower, drowsy from sleep.

His eyes reflected the words upon the pages. Words fill his mind, as the book took his thoughts. Hades collected data from the pages of the book that contained the knowledge of potions. Hades heard his name called out, and his dark, stormy eyes glanced up to see Hollace. He closed the book, not taking his eyes off her. Without a smirk, smile or emotion, he stood up and muttered, "Greetings, Hollace." Hades wondered what she would do, and thus, tensed up just in case she would freak out. And this thought gave him much amusement.

Hollace cocked her head to the side, regarding him from under thick dark lashes. None of this felt real. She didn't feel the cold draft from the hallway as she would if she were awake and at the Leaky. Her bare skin felt still warm from bed. Candlelight played and danced over Hades face, lighting his smoky eyes. She was dreaming. As she dreamed of him every night since she had left his house weeks before. In those dreams many things happened. Sometimes they spoke, sometimes they sat there and watched different scenes from her day play out before them. Other times the dreams became dark, sinister; he chased her through a dark deserted alley or spoke to her in his alluring voice. It seemed this time he was calm. Sleepily Hollace walked up to him and simply laid her hands on his chest, then pressed her cheek to it to hear the steady thrum of his heart beat.

Her head came back and she peered up at him. "I didn't tell you thank you, before, in the alley," she murmured. Her hand went to his cheek. He felt so real, smelled so real, the heat coming from his skin felt real.

Hades narrowed his eyes upon her. Was she awake fully? Did she not realize what just happened to her? This was not the reaction he was expecting. He put his hand upon her forehead, and she felt normal. She wasn't sick, but she thought that this was all a dream... Interesting. He removed her hand from his face, and he muttered, "It is understandable. After all, I know how you feel... For the most part..." Hades spoke nothing more but soothing words, even if he did not know what he was meaning, or how she felt in the first place. He knew that she hated him, but there was still that little flame of desire and passion for him. Hades inquired softly, "Do you like this dream of yours?" Hades kept his hand in hers, gently and surround in comfort. The aura around them, it was comforting yet so dark and eerie. Dark, sinister Hades was, a killer, and here he was, acting like a comforter, burying his true nature in falseness.

Hollace let his voice soothe her and lull her into a state of tranquility. His hand, she thought as she glanced it, felt so different from her dreams. She could feel the callouses and the warmth from his palm. She nodded slightly as her eyes rose to meet his. "I do," she whispered, "this time." The dream she had two nights ago had left her shivering in her own sweat and with fear dilated eyes. "You're always in my dreams." She was becoming slowly aware that this dream was unlike all the others. She moved closer to him, one strap of her nightgown falling down her arm as she considered him. "There's one thing you never do in my dreams. You scare me, you chase me, sometimes you don't speak at all." Her sleepy dark eyes met his. "Kiss me?"

Hades wanted to step away from her, tell her that she was insane, or psychotic. However, he was the same. He was not normal, his madness was taking Hollace down as well, but in a way that he did not expect. After all, the darkness he had, Hades did not expect to have this sort of reaction. It was unsuspecting. Hades listened to her speak, and it was just insane. Never... Yet, Hades didn't know what to do, what to say. He stared at her in silence. "You wish for me to give you...something that I normally would not do. In that case..." Hades leaned forward, as if he were going to kiss her, but instead, he stopped and he murmured, "The answer is no." Hades pulled away, and he shook his head. He walked over to the entrance to his study and stopped in the doorway. He glanced over his shoulder, laughed eerily, and entered the hall, and into his bedroom. He lit the black candles, and he closed his eyes momentarily.

Hollace leaned forward as he did, her dark brown eyes closing as his breath brushed her lips. Then the dream was shattered and reality flooded in, leaving her reeling as he refused her and walked away. That deep dark chuckle dug into her core and Hollace looked around the room she was in. This was no dream. She was awake and she was in Hades house. Again. With no clear memory of how she had gotten there. If there was one thing Hades was good at, it was confusion and chaos. Hollace irritably reached down and righted her strap then followed his steps. She paused at the doorway to his bedroom, the dark walls comforting her when she should be damned angry with him.

"Tell me exactly why I'm here." As she walked into his bedroom, she plopped her hands on her slim hips and glared at him. "I mean, come on Hades!" She pushed at his shoulder from behind, not enough to really move him, just enough to get her point across. "What part about 'I don't want to see you' don't you understand?" She became worked up, angry, her heart beginning to beat faster. "I thought you were told by your grandfather to leave me the hell alone?" she bit out.

Hades turned, at the push of his shoulder. His hands wrapped around her upper arms, with grip that would be hard to break, but not enough to hurt her. He answered, "You are here because I felt like bringing you here, if you want to know why." It was the truth. He simply felt like taking her to his home again. It felt more natural to have someone held captive there than not. Hades whispered, "You said yourself that you dreamed of me. That alone speaks that you hold inner desires for me. Whether or not you say it to yourself, try to convince yourself, you cannot lie to what rests in your heart." Hades held no emotion in his eyes, face, nothing. It was blank as a statue. After all, right now he felt nothing more but frustration. Confused eternally he might be, but right now, he wanted to make sure that she knew the truth more than anything else. Using his strength, he lifted Hollace and carelessly tossed her upon his bed. Standing motionlessly, his eyes never left her, "I promised that I would end my game with your brother, but never said anything about leaving you alone." Hades ran his fingers through his black hair and he said with light amusement in his voice, "By the way, you need to gain a little weight. You are as light as a feather."

Hollace landed on the bed with a few skipping bounces until she nearly slammed her head into the headboard. Sitting up she glared at him with the weight of her heart in her eyes; dark brown swimming in unshed tears. His words, spoken so cool in that voice, speared through her. Hades managed to break through the careful barriers she'd erected around her mind, her heart, her very soul. She didn't love him. She couldn't love him. He was all wrong for her. Hades was insane, he wasn't normal. She was just some sick, twisted game to him. Yet she knew that inside she did not care. Each time she felt his dark possession it was like some part of her connected to him, was released from where she hid her darker nature from those around her. Thorine's advice rang in her mind and fought with the anger that built steadily until it nearly consumed her with its unreasonable fury.

"Desiring you is what got me in this trouble in the first place," she snarled, coming up to kneel on the bed. Her hands fisted in the long skirt of her soft nightgown, bringing the fabric up above her knees so she could fly at him if she needed to. "How could you possibly know what is in my heart Hades, when you don't have one?" It would be suicide to love a man such as he. No one could ever know how closely she stood on the edge of that cliff. It was through sheer will and her remaining sanity that she kept from falling into that dark abyss of loving Hades.

"Such anger you have, is that from not being able to resist something you are so attracted to? Someone you desire that is unreachable, who does not have a heart to give?" Hades smirked in the darkness. His words were alluring yet somewhat harsh at the same time. Hades waved his hand, and the candle flames went out, completely giving the bedroom an eerie feel. Hades narrowed his eyes at Hollace, and he murmured, "Why fight it?" Hades' head went to the side a bit, as he smirked once more. This was amusing to him, getting through to a simple-minded female. Was this just for a game, or did it mean more to Hades?

Hollace could not let loose her anger. It burned in her like a living thing, wriggling around her insides. Hades words were like dousing her in kerosene, the intent behind them as if he had thrown a lighted match. She let it consume her and the darkness burst forth as the room was purged of light. "I'm not the one who is fighting my desires Hades." Hollace trembled with the need to strike out at him, however she could. "It would be better for me to stay away from you." Dark eyes glittered at him in the darkness. She rose to stand on the bed, the added height causing her to look down on him. "So cut the bullshit Hades. I'm not your game, I'm not your toy." Hollace didn't feel like herself when she was with him. She felt like something--more. Hollace swore she would die before she would tell him that he brought out a part of herself she never knew existed. That around him she felt more alive than she ever had in her existence.

Hades laughed, "Then what are you fighting?" Hades grew utterly amused. He reached inside his trenchcoat and pulled out his dagger. His fingers clinched around the handle as tight as he could, and he glanced at the blade. Any light that was upon it reflected brilliantly. Hades smirked, "I am afraid that you staying away from me will never happen. Even years from now, you will be haunted by me, either by the real thing or a phantom of a memory." Hades twirled the dagger around, before he firmly handled it. "I never said that you were a toy or a game. What I do, they rarely have a plan, and even I don't know what will become of them. Only if it is a rather huge plan, then it will happen, but like I said, I won't aggravate your brother." Hades pointed the blade of the dagger toward the ceiling, before he threw it across the room. It flew by Hollace, and it hit the wall, and it stayed there, shaking. Hades said with a serious face, no humor detected in his voice, "Take your anger out on me then. Using that." Hades motioned toward the dagger. "Take that dagger and end my life. As much as you assume that you hate me, and as much as I have interfered with your life, do it." He outstretched his arms, and he smirked deviously, "And I won't fight either."

Hollace life flashed before her eyes. She could see it now. Years of him taunting her, of never letting her live in peace. He may let her go physically but he would always be imprinted on her mind, her heart, her soul. She would never be free of him. Unshed tears welled in her eyes as they narrowed upon him before she turned and slipped from the bed. The dagger's handle was smooth and hard in her palm. In her anger she was able to pull it from the wall with a two handed grip. Hollace turned to him, tears streaking wetly down her hot cheeks. Her face was not cold, could not be without the blazing heat of anger on her features. Her hands shook and it seemed as though she trembled from the inside out. She had told him she wanted to be free of him; she'd told herself she was afraid of what he had done, what he had made her feel.

As she neared him, the dagger's sharp blade toward him, she knew she could not break. Hollace came to him slowly, her eyes never leaving his. She raised the blade between them and rested the point over his heart. "You would let me end your life. Right here? Without fighting." She thought about it, could see herself yelling and bringing the dagger to plunge into his black heart. Then watch as the light left his eyes. She gasped, jerking back and she tried to reclaim her grip on the dagger only to feel a sharp knick on her fingertips. It fell to the floor between them and it was then as she raised her bleeding fingers to her mouth she knew. And as her eyes flew to his, she knew that now he knew as well. Hollace could not kill Hades Lutrov. Because she was in love with him.

Hades narrowed his eyes upon her, as she took out the weapon. He held his stance, not moving even as she neared with the weapon. It was insanity. He was completely serious about her killing him, taking his life and setting herself free from the torment that he would shower her in in years to come. Hades could feel the blade over his heart, and he nodded at her for an answer, and he inhaled as he waited. However, he did not fill the fires of hell. Nothing happened. No pain, nothing. His eyes leveled with her, and Hades saw it... Something that he thought that he would never see in his life directed at him. It was unnerving.

Love. Hades wondered...could he ever return it? Did he have to? Hades did not know. But what he did know was that she was bleeding, and she was hopelessly in love with him. Hades wandlessly summoned his dagger to his hand and he put it to the side, on a table. Hades whispered, "You are a foolish girl, Hollace." The blood had once more affected him like before, and before he could control himself, his lips found hers. His arm wrapped around Hollace, as he deepened the kiss.

Hollace's arms encircled his neck as she stood on the tips of her toes to reach more of his mouth. Her fingers threaded through his hair, her mouth moved against his. This was why she had fallen so helplessly in love with this man. The sharp edge of danger that was in the way he held her, the madness that was in the way he kissed her. She might have found a safe relationship with someone one day, despite Hades threats. A man whom she could get married to, have his children, become dependent upon and give up her dreams in pursuit of his until she became too old to care. Until she died. Hollace had always known her life was not going to be like those of her family or of her friends. There was something within her that demanded more in all aspects of her life. Why then would it not yearn to claim Hades for her own?

She broke away from his kiss, gasping for air into her starved lungs. "Now you know," Hollace whispered against his lips. Her hands went to the collar of his black tee shirt, fingers lingering on the strong protruding bones of his collarbone. She didn't know what else to say, didn't think she could speak again.

Hades struggled against his nature, trying to think, but there was just something about blood that affecting him in ways that most could not understand. His thoughts and mind were against this in some aspect, as he is just feeding her drive for him. Yet, Hades was a cruel man, and he wished nothing more but to feed this darkness, give it more until... I wonder if I could break her... Completely. Get her on the path of darkness, and away from that goodness that obviously her family holds, since her brother is an Auror... Hades now had a plan. Drag Hollace and isolate her in the darkness that she had lurking. Everyone had it in them, and Hades loved to tap the darkness to bring it out, and he would be doing just that to Hollace. Hades murmured, "Everything will be fine... Trust me." Hades glanced down at her hands, before he smirked and he lifted Hollace into his arms. Slowly, he put her on the bed, and he whispered, "What do you want the most...?"

Hollace slid her hands behind Hades neck. She didn't hesitate with her answer as it whispered from her lips. "You Hades," her eyes flicked to his lips, so close to hers, to his eyes. His gorgeous stormy eyes that drew her in, made her want to tell him her secrets. "I want you." She wondered what was going on in the enigma that was his mind. They were in nearly complete darkness yet she could see his face clearly. She turned the tables on him, her head lifted, her teeth caught his lower lip within them. She nipped him sharply enough to bring him pain before pulling back. "What do you want Hades?"

Hades smirked as she answered. She wanted him the most. But would she ever have him in a way other than this? Could she ever claim a heart that was never there? This was all amusing. He chuckled at how...wanting she had become after just two nights with him. It was outstanding, and Hades was very much pleased with the being that he was helping to create. Hades answered, "I want the world, Hollace..." he paused, "enveloped in the darkness that you now possess. It is a wonderful gift, the feelings of dark passion that erupt from two beings merging into one." Hades' words meant more to him than they could mean to someone of a normal state of mind.

Hollace's dark brown eyes flicked between both of his as he spoke. His world sounded beautiful, wonderful and whole heartedly alluring. She felt that darkness within her, within him, waiting to merge as he'd said; into one. "I want to see your world Hades," Hollace whispered, her fingers tracing his mouth, leaving a red streak across his lips. She was drawn into him and wanted to know what he knew, see what he had seen, feel what he had felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back