Wandering

Taylor Marks

OOC First Name
Taneaka
Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Taylor was walking around the Harbor. She still had an hour left before she was picked up. So far she hadn't seen anyone she had met so far, a bit of a dissapoinment really. She straightened out her Nightmare before Christmas hoodie, shoved her hands deep into her ripped jeans and carried on, scuffing her multi-coloured converses as she walked.

Alfie was wandering about the Harbor randomly looking for something that would catch his eye. He wasn't really looking where he was going and bumped into a rather small girl. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you there I'm Alfie by the way" he said brushing hair out of his eyes

Taylor was off gaurd when someone smacked into her, looking up from where she had landed she saw a boy. He was definatly taller than her and had a really cool emo style hair cut. "It's ok, I usually end up down here without any help, it's nice to have a change." She laughed as she stood up, making sure he realised she was joking. "I'm Taylor, nice to meet you Alf. You don't mind if I call you Alf do you? You can give me a nickname aswell if you like."

Alfie couldn't help but laugh at the small girl " Taylor that's a nice name. Yeah sure i'm not bothered what you call me really as long as its not nasty....you shall be Titch, if that's ok with you?"

"Yay." Taylor grinned as she was given permission to name him as she pleased. The smile wavered at the word Titch. "Hmm. I suppose that's ok. Would you believe that no-one has ever called me Titch before. Always Tay or Mark. Never Titch."

Alfie watched the girls expression carefully and even though she said it was ok he had a feeling it wasn't" You don't like it do you?" He asked.

Makenna wondered the shopping area alone. Her arms crossed over her stomach as she walked slowly. Her eyes looking at the ground as she walked not wanting to make eye contact with any of the people passing her by. Makenna could almost feel the eyes of others on her watching her as she moved, her all black outfit getting a bit more attention than she would have liked.

Her long brown hair down today, mostly covering her face. The streets seemed never ending as Makenna's thoughts rushed back towards her home and what she had gotten away from today. She just didn't want to think about it home, she wanted her thoughts to go away from where they were.

Suddenly, her eyes shot up from the ground noticing people closer than Makenna would have liked, two people about her age. One boy and one girl. Before Makenna turn turn around and walk away from then, she realized she was two close. Just say hello and then talk for a bit. It's fine The voice in her head said.

"Hey" Makenna said her eyes not making eye contact with either of them but still it was obvious that she was making conversation with those two. "I'm not..." She paused "interupting anything am I?" she wondered her voice soft not for she was shy but more just not used to talking to others that weren't family members or Chica.

"It's ok. Aslong as I can call you Alf." Taylor turned to make some small talk with the tall lad when a girl behind her spoke. "Oh. Hey. No, you're not. I'm Taylor and this is Alfie." Taylor pointed towards Alfie when she said his name, then turned back towards The girl. She sounded shy so Taylor threw her a sympathetic smile.

Makenna wasn't sure if she was supposed to introduce herself now. For a moment she hated that she had no social skills. If she wasn't trapped at home for all her life, all ten years, she might of had a bit more skills with talking to people. This was all so new not only the magical aspect but the public school and more importantly the people.

"The Name's" She paused looking down at her black shoes for a moment kicking the ground softly. "My name's Makenna" she said her voice extremely soft. Her eyes glanced up back at the two children. Kicking the ground once more softly, Makenna gave her a soft smile, though it wasn't perfect only an attempt.

"What are you two" Another pause not knowing what to say, what to talk about. "doing around here" she asked pushing a small bit of her long hair into her face almost hoping it would help make her disappear a bit, cover up.

Taylor could tell this girl was nervous so she attempted to act calm for a bit. "Nice to meet you. I was just walking around but then got thrown on my bum by Alf here." A small reasuring giggle was sent towards Makenna. "How about you?"

Makenna looked over at the boy for a moment. Never was she comfortable around guys. Maybe it was just because she had grown up with her father or maybe it was something else. It was just a bit much to have to talk to people and have one of them be a boy. Hopefully this small girl would be able to handle it.

Listening as the girl laughed, Makenna couldn't help but find the sound odd, unfamilar. Laughing, giggling, or chuckling wasn't something that happened a lot around Makenna nor was it an activity that she took part in too often. It was nice yet strange to have someone laugh so freely.

"I didn't know what else to do. Just wanted to clear my mind" Makenna said It didn't work though she thought to herself almost bitterly. Why could she never clear her mind when she wanted to. "I also wanted to see the shopping area" She added softly as she messed with the arm warmers that were on her arms just keeping herself preoccupied.

"Are you two going to school next year?" Makenna asked wondering if they knew what school she meant. Hogwarts of coarse.

"Yeah, well I am, Haven't really asked Alf yet." Taylor could tell the girl was nervous, whether it was her or Alfie or whether it was just her, Taylor couldn't tell.

Once again Taylors' powers of observation lept into action as she noticed a emotion flit across Makennas' face. It looked bitter. Maybe there was something on her mind, but the girl was already nervous so Taylor didn't ask.

"Are you?"

The small arms of this ten year old girl uncrossed for a split second only to once again cross over her stomach once more finding their normal place where they belong. Maybe crossing her arms was yet another protective mechanism that she had picked up over the years, protecting herself from god knows what. For once Makenna didn't have to worry about being safe, if only this young child knew that.

"I thought his name was Alfie" Makenna said softly her voice faltering half way through the statement. Be strong She thought trying to get herself at least not looking so pathetic. Increasing her posture so she stood at the full height of four foot eight inches, she looked at the girl then out of the corner of her eye the boy.

Nodding slightly, a small amount of brown hair falling into her face covering her eyes slightly. "Yes I am going" Makenna said her voice having a bit of strength in it. "It's great" She said though her voice was rather monotonous. Thoughts running through her head as to whether or not she was supposed to be able to like that she was going to Hogwarts. Her father had told her that she shouldn't be happy. She was leaving him thus she should be so upset. Hiding her true feelings was normal and creating false ones was just another day, but Makenna wondered if she had to do this here as well.

"Oh, it is, I gave him a nickname. Would you like one too?" Taylor noticed that Makenna was less than enthused about hogwarts. "Don't you want to go to hogwarts?" Her brow creased, she couldn't think of a reason anybody wouldn't love hogwarts. Except the 142 sets of moving staircases.

Makenna thought about the nickname thing. Was that normal social behavior to give out nicknames? What was wrong with normal names? Well her mother used to call her by a nickname but Makenna didn't want to think about that or her mother for that matter. It was all in the past. Her mother had chose to leave her life for good so why should Makenna dwell on the past. Her father wasn't dwelling on the past nor was her grandfather. "If you want to" Makenna answered thinking that maybe it would be nice to have a nickname. Maybe that was something the friends did when they met each other. On some shows friends gave other friends nicknames. Makenna wasn't sure though. The only clue she really had on social interaction was from the few shows she was allowed to watch.

Looking up for a moment at the question about Hogwarts, Makenna nodded her head. You can tell them The voice that Makenna heard in her mind, really it was just her thoughts playing about. Show some true emotion The voice continued but the thought of actually expressing true happiness was too scary to even comprehand.

"I do want to go to Hogwarts" Makenna said her voice hinting more with excitement than it had the whole conversation or even in awhile. "I'm a bit nervous" She added truthfully her voice still overly soft. "I'm new to this whole thing" She said knowing that it was quite an understatement. New to this whole wizarding world, of coarse, New to the whole social world or even the real world was more like it.
"What are you looking forward to at Hogwarts?" Makenna asked looking back down at her shoes. Maybe this way she would learn abit about hogwarts without seeming too unknowing.

"Yay. How's Kenna?" Taylor could see the girl was new at this, nicknames or social skills she wasn't sure. "I don't really know. I'm muggleborn, the only thingI really know is there are 142 staircases and most of them move. That, I can definatly say, I'm not looking forward to." Taylor gave yet another smile. So far most of the people going to hogwarts seemed nice, excluding the snobs at the meeting of course.

Makenna almost let a smile appear on her thin lips. Looking up slightly at the girl named Taylor who seemed so nice. Never had Makenna met anyone so nice, not that she had met many people. The last time she actually had friends over was her fifth birthday party, the last party when her mother was in the picture. The last time she felt happy about her parents and her life. Five years seemed so long a go, yet that memory was the freshest in her mind even more in depth and picture as what happened yesterday or even this morning.

"Kenna sounds nice" Makenna said thinking that she was glad that Taylor had picked that nickname. If she would have mentioned the name her father called her or even her mother, Makenna didn't know if she would be able to stand here confidently, well as confidently as this ten year old could get. "What is your nickname?" Makenna asked her eyes falling on Taylor's face, eye contact. The first eye contact that Makenna had made in years. A bit shocked at her action, Makenna looked down at her shoes once more kicking them softly on the ground.

Yet her mind didn't stop functioning, buzzing about with the term that Taylor had used. Muggleborn Makenna wasn't sure what that meant. She imagined it was a term that people used around her. "What is a muggle-born?" Makenna asked feeling stupid for asking so. Never did this young girl ask questions unless it was necessary. That was always just one rule that her father had taught her from a very young age. Asking questions just makes you seem like you know less. Or at least that was what he would always say.

The stair case comment did confuse Makenna but she wouldn't ask. She probably looked mentally challanged already asking a question as she did. Why make the matters worse. Makenna didn't want to look stupid or unknowing. Really she wasn't, quite the opposite.

"Oh, You can call me Tay or Mark, what ever you think sounds nicest. You can make one up if you want to." Taylor was really starting to like this girl. She imagined she would be awesome if she would just break out of the shell she was in. "Don't worry, I only found out what it ment a couple of days ago. It means born to people without magic. I asked too." Taylor made eye contact and saw questions lurking beneath Kenna's surface. "Feel free to ask if you don't understand something. I'll answer best I can unless I don't actually know the answer."

Makenna liked the nickname of Tay. In a way it seemed to fit this girl. This brought up the question to whether or not Kenna fit Makenna. Did any name really fit a girl like her? Not even Makenna knew what type of person she was. Maybe in time she would know or maybe her life would end after the long search never really finding out. What a morbid but very possible thought that was.

As Tay explained what muggleborn meant, Makenna nodded having a long amount of her hair fall into her face. Actually having to wonder if it was safe to uncross her arms to moved the hair to it's proper space, Makenna waited a bit seeing nothing but the dark brown hair that seemed to cover her vision as well as closing her brown eye would have. "I guess that makes me muggle born as well" Makenna said imagining that she was muggleborn. Her mother never said anything about magic and neither did her father.

Getting enough courage, Makenna uncrossed her arms for the moment it took to push all the hair out of her face showing her eyes fully for about the first time, letting others seem the amount of eye make up that was rather unnatural for a ten year old to wear. Crossing her arms once more, Makenna wondered if she was really that easy to read. No one else had been able to read how she really felt or maybe the others, her father and grandfather, really just didn't care. The last explaination made more sense.

"What are we going to do at Hogwarts" Makenna asked before she could stop herself. "I mean like what do we learn" She paused her eyes glancing up at the girl named Taylor her curiousity just a bit too strong to look down at her shoes.

"hmm, I supppose we learn what spells do and how to cast them. I'm not really sure." Taylor had been thinking ao she hadn't noticed Kenna's movement. "Woah. You have a lot of make up on." Taylors' eyebrows had shot up. She didn't mean to be disrespectfull or anything but 11 year olds really didn't need to be beautyfied in her opinion.

Makenna's mind filled with even more questions this time she pushed them down supressed them to the best of her ability. She hoped this would help. No more questions would be coming out of her mouth as she could help it. Already her father would have told her what an idiot she was for asking one nonetheless two or more questions. For once she let out a small sigh thinking how glad she was that her father was not here. Not yet was she free but not caged, tripped, with him hovering over her judging everything she did. Hopefully this would last, yet as her grandfather had told her about three times a day since she had gotten the letter. Makenna was going to screw something up and end up coming home the sad sorry sight she was when she left. Don't mess this up she thought determined to not go home any sooner than she had to if at all.

Yet at Taylor's reaction to Makenna's makeup, Makenna's first reaction was to look back down at the ground. Her shoes were rather dirty dusting with the dirt of the street, but she didn't know how to react to this girl's comment. Moving her head slightly at an angle as some of the long brown hair that she had always hated feel to her face covering a portion of face. "Yeah my father says it makes me look older" Makenna said her voice going back to the soft tone it was as she spoke the first word in this conversation. I need to look older She thought justifying her actions but not saying another word about it.

Makenna didn't like to talk about her or her family or even any topics that might branch to her family in any way. Keeping all that behind closed doors was where she wanted it to stay forever. "Are there many muggleborns here?" Makenna asked trying to branch the topic away any way she could think of even if it meant threatening her intelligence and asking another question.

Taylor frowned, Why would anyone want to be older, Being young is great. "I'm not sure really, I suppose there's a few."

The older comment was really bugging her. "Why would you want to look older though? Being young is meant to be one of the best times of your life, You shouldn't rush your childhood."

Once again, not trying to be offensive, but Taylor just couldn't see how someone could just rush their childhood. She had had some bad experiances but being young was the one thing that had kept her happy, the right to have fun, and this girl was throwing that right away.

Makenna recognized the frown on Taylor's face. An emotion that Makenna could knew much more about, the emotion that she had to pull off since she have recieved her own letter to hogwarts, the emotion that actually Makenna had experienced and normally wasn't afraid to show. But the reason for this frown on Taylor's face was a mystery to Makenna much like other social patterns of people around here.

"At least there are some others" Makenna muttered looking down at her shoes finding the dirt that was covering them in a nice dust very annoying. Tempted to wipe it off, she stopped due to the fact that she would not want to uncross her arms and bend over ruining her posture, her appearance.

The watching of her dusty shoes and her slightly kicking of the ground did not distract Makenna enough as to not hear the question that Taylor said. Looking up at her for a moment surprise actually crossing through her brown eyes. Never had she ever thought as being older a bad thing. Older would get her out of the house, older would get her into the freedom that she wanted. Childhood was nothing that Makenna wanted to stay in. Yet Makenna would rather walk away and ruin the only chance of any making a friend than explain all that to Tay.

"Childhood isn't all it is said to be" Makenna said softly flashes of different memories passing through her head all reinforcing that childhood would certainly not be the happiest time of her life or at least she hoped it wouldn't be. "I just want to look older so more people would take me seriously" She continued. A blatant lie that hopefully would be taken as the truth.

[I'm off now. I'll be on tomorrow though :) ]

Taylor huffed at the word serious. "Thats where we are different. I don't like serious, I beleive to be a child you have to have fun, sure there are some ups and downs and , yes, there are times you wanna quit. But you don't because it can only get better from there." Taylor was very opinionaed for an eleven year old. It was the way she had been brought up, her opinions were the only consistant thing she had at one point.

Looking at the girl she noticed something beneath the surface, It had been there since she arrived but Taylor had only just recognised it. Confusion. Kenna seemed confused with her opinion. "Is that your opinion or someone else's?" The look she gave the girl in front of her was a look that made even Benny tell her the truth. She just hoped it would work on the child infront of her.

Makenna kicked a bit more at the ground not really even kicking up dust just preoccupying her mind. Though she wasn't too preoccupied to listen to Taylor's explaination. So happy and positive Makenna thought almost in a way wishing she could be like that. Yet this ten year old girl knew that wishing really didn't do anything. How could wishing or praying help anything. It doesn't She thought firmly. It never had and never will. "Well it can't get any worse" Makenna said knowing very well that it could. It was like some of the movies she got to watch when a person was outside and everything was going wrong. Yet the people look up at the sky and say at least it isn't raining. Then the clouds open up and it rains. Sure those people didn't think the day could get worse but it did. Maybe Makenna's life was like that. No matter how much she hoped that acceptance letter would change all that.

"Let's just say it's my opinion" Makenna said softly though a hint of stubbornness grew in her voice. Why did this girl seem to care so much? No one was supposed to care that much. No one had yet seemed to almost pry this much. Makenna really wasn't sure how to react to this girl's attitude. In a way it was nice that Taylor cared or maybe she was pretending to care. That would make more sense.

Looking up once more at Taylor, Makenna wished she could say something else. Direct the conversation away from her, but she didn't know how to do that. She wasn't sure which was a good segway to get onto another topic. "So" She said softly looking around to see the people passing. Crossing her arms a bit harder across her, she wondered what to say. "Do you have any pets?" Makenna asked softly thinking about how she knew a bit about pets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back