Walking through the gardens.

Beau Hurley

It was the day after they had arrived at school and Beau was already feeling restless, he needed to get out and explore the place that would be his second home for the next 7 years. He left the common room and walked straight out to the grounds, he saw a lake but walked in the opposite direction, he didn't really like water it was dirty. As he walked he saw his bat flying off in the distance, no doubt off hunting. A bat was the perfect animal for Beau, it took little to no looking after and it was nothing disgusting like a cat. He still hadn't named the creature and as he continued on his way he wondered what a good name for it would be.
As he walked he found himself weaving through a quite pretty garden, he just stared around, it seemed like a nice quiet place out here, maybe it would become one of his favorite places. He shrugged but thought the common room would probably be the nicest place. He continued to walk finding himself further and further into a maze of flowers and shrubs, he saw a bench and took residence leaning back and closing his eyes. He had been waiting for a long time to arrive here, and he hoped it was all it was cracked up to be.

"Great place isn't it." Henric mused, trudging through the cobbled path, taking strangely meticulous care not to step on the grass or flowers as he moved along. He tilted his head upwards to adjust to the light. In the light, his pale features looked completely different; originally a malicious white, his skin now appeared tan, and his eyes shadowed across with an intense glare rather than his usual icy orbs; it gave off the impression he was a different person, most of the time. Henric paused as he reached the bench, questioning lightly, "Beau, was it? Nice to see someone else exploring the place."

Beau opened one eye as he heard someone talking to him but didn't shift position, if it wasn't for the boys voice he wouldn't have recognised him, Henric looked extremly different in the light of day. "Yeah it is," he said nodding, though still in the same position he had started, "And your Henric right?" he asked, eyeing the boy who had helped him haggle in the book shop. "Yeah, I need to get to know my way around, Preferably before lessons start," he said simply. "How are you finding the place?" he asked, only just opening both eyes once more, it was a nice day for Septmber, though as far as he knew New Zealand was nice weather for most of the year.

Blinking, Henric gave Beau a fake smile, that looked real since the sunlight was glaring down on him, changing the angle of his lips' shadow, "You remember my name - I'm touched." Upon hearing his comment, Henric spread his arms out, now looking ever the more like a gigantic hawk swooping down from the sky. "Spacious." He said simply, waving his arms about for extra effect before he folded them again. "Frankly, I knew it was big." He jerked his head at the castle in an incline, "But not this big." Henric finished.

Beau lent back half closing his eyes once more, his mind was focused on other things not really the conversation he was having now, Henric was not capturing his attention enough. He meerly snorted when he said he was touched, quite frankly Beau was suprised he had remembered Henrics name, it was probably due to the fact he thought he was extremly weird the first time they met.
"Oh I thought it would be bigger," Beau said shrugging, "I was a little disappionted on first viewing," he said honestly, his face was set emotionlessly, neither smiling nor frowning, this was his normal expression when he wanted to give nothing away. "But the interior of the common room is quite nice,"

"Isn't it?", Henric equipped, "Nice to see our Common Room is located right under the school. More silence, more quiet." He inclined his head towards his sky, canting it slightly, then squinting to avoid the sun's glare. As he moved his head, Henric's long hair parted slightly to reveal a lightning-bolt shaped earring dangling from his left ear, ringing slightly as he lowered his head and turned his attention to the ground again, looking at a bird peck away at the ground with an expression that suggested mild interest. "Wonder which dormitory we'll be assigned to." He commented briefly, attention still affixed on the bird.

Beau nodded, "Yeah I like it, its in the perfect place," he commented nodding and finally opening his eyes and sitting up. His gaze followed Henrics to the bird, "Mate, why are you staring at that bird?" he asked, his tone slightly mocking. He hated all animals, except from his bat, they were all smelly and dirty. Most of them carried diseses, well they did in his opinion.
His gazed flicked away from the bird, loosing interest quickly as usual, and onto his surroundings, it was full of flowers and other shrubery, pretty though not really his scene. His arms lay almost limp by his side, and you could see the tip of his wand over spilling his trouser pocket. Although lessons hadn't started yet he knew some spells that he could use if the need arose.

"Because." Henric started, slowly, as if in hiatus, watching the bird, he advanced to it and knelt. The bird tilted it's head sideways, turning to stare at Henric, giving a questioning chirp. "Because." He started again, raising his finger forward; the bird surveyed it for a moment, as if contemplating if Henric would eat it, then took a bold flap forward and landed on his fingers. Satisfied, Henric rose to full height, bird chirping and nipping it's wing. "It's free." He said simply, thrust his hand in the air and watching the bird take flight, small feathers fluttering around. "It isn't cooped up in a cage, and it is free to roam the world. I find that worth admiring."

Beau sniggered as Henric spoke, he knew there was a reason he hadn't lilked the boy, he always spoke in riddles, that and the fact he spoke like someone much older then he really was. Beau wondered why Henric seemed so eager to be an adult, right now he was in his prime. Beau stretched and lent his head back in the sun, it bounced off his tanned skin and made his blue eyes sparkle more. Beau closed one eye but left one open, the one open was monitering Henrics movement constantly, he wasn't sure why but the boy put him on edge.

There were two reasons why Beau closed his eyes, the first was because he was not really paying attention to the conversation, the second was because his eyes gave away the most about him. Although he knew he was not an open book, people had to delve deep into his mind to ever fully understand him, he saw his eyes as a passage to his soul, a sure way to find out things about him that he didn't want anyone to know. Some people he was at ease with, eye contact was not a problem. But from the way Henric had stared at Toni the first time they had met, he knew that Henric was good at reading people, or atleast he thought he was.
"So you like birds then?" he said, laughing a little at the double meaning it would have held if he was speaking to someone on British origin, though he didn't know Henrics origins he thought he was not English. "Or just things that are free?" he said rather sarcastically.

Henric paused at the question posed to him, a genuine smirk imprinted on his face as he curtly replied. "I want to be free, but it doesn't mean I am able to like it." He paused, searching over his own thoughts, I don't know what it is like, to be free. Nevertheless, Henric turned his head slightly to the sky, where the bird had turned and swooped down to perch at Hogwarts, then turned his attention back to Beau, his uncomfortable gaze travelling over his features. "But as for what I like, birds are not my only fancy." His hands twitched around his wand as he gave Beau a cold smile that would send shivers down a fully grown adult's spine. "I like to think I treasure and protect everything that is useful, befriend or use anything that is an asset."

Shalamar had fallen in love with Hogwarts on her first day, the boat trip to the castle had been wonderful. The feast in the Great Hall spectacular, they had really gone all out for them. Much to her delight she had been placed in Ravenclaw, her spirits soared here. She didn't feel encumbered in any way. As soon as her trunk had been unpacked properly she decided she would go exploring. There had been quite a few Ravenclaw first years to get to know and right now all she wanted was just a little space. She wasn't used to so many strange people around her, though she was used to having lots of company. As she made her way down from the Ravenclaw tower, her pet Raven Zediphus flew down to meet her landing on her shoulder. Smiling at him she skipped the rest of the way out into the beautiful day and headed to the gardens.

The grounds were breathtaking and she marvelled once again at how fortunate she was to have been allowed to attend Hogwarts when none of her other siblings had wanted to. Zediphus gave one of his funny crawing noises before flying off in search of food, so Shalamar known to her friends as Ova continued on through the garden. Skipping along as if she had nothing at all better to do, she began humming to herself stopping every now and then to literally smell the roses. Today was a good day to live. As she stopped to pick up a flower that appeared to be wilting, she spun around to see Henric and another Slytherin boy sitting on a bench a few feet from her.

"Hello" her smile was open and warm, her previous reactions to Henric had always been so mixed. She would blush and behave completely ridiculous but here at Hogwarts her sense of self, indeed her self esteem seemed to rocket off the charts. She was a Ravenclaw and felt for the first time in her life as if she had an identity that had nothing to do with her rich family.
"Enjoying the garden?" as she spoke Zediphus made his way down to her shoulder again where he perched quite happily.

Slowly, Henric turned, swivelling his feet in a smooth fashion that let him spin and face her. His piercing eyes surveyed her for a moment, as if judging her and studying her features - reading her mind. Then he paused, and he allowed her one of his rare genuine smiles at the edge of his lips, before he reverted back to his usual expression of wax. "Yes, it is quite beautiful isn't it." Henric replied softly as she approached, when he said the word 'beautiful', his voice grew unnaturally cold, as if he didn't know how to, or was not fit to pronounce the word. "Sometimes the large outside is better than inside, though I'll probably return to the dungeons soon."
His eyes shadowed in the glaring sunlight, robes flapping in the wind, Henric looked as if he was a far larger version of her pet Zediphus, in fact, the bird itself seemed rather curious, it's beady eyes riveted on his countenance. Henric raised his head slowly, studying her features a second time as he turned away from Beau slightly to bow his head at her politely, in a very fixed Chinese greeting. "Are you enjoying Hogwarts so far?" He inquired gently, his voice, as usual, cold and emotionless. "Some of us have been." He inclined his head slightly at Beau, "Some of us are still getting used to it."

Beau snorted, clearly his assumptions had been right, Henric was not a British boy. He couldn't help but laugh, quite coldly, at his next comment, or more the double meaning off it, the smile that Henric gave him was weird and Beau quickly averted his eyes once more and stared at the surrounding gardens, he was not at all interested in plants but there was something about Henrics gaze that made him uneasy, he would not give Henric the pleasure of seeing the biggest give away of his true emotions, his eyes.
Beau gave a small smile at the girl who was now standing with they, "Hey," he said listening to the small banter going on between Henric and the girl, "Im Beau by the way, and you are?" he asked, his tone neither friendly or unwelcoming, just a steady mix between the two. As always his eyes were averted from Henric, instead placing a steady focus on the girl, giving her the once over before finally coming to the conclusion he had never seen her before.

Ova smiled at both boys before inclining her own head in a bow in responce to Henric's one. As she listened to Henric ask her about whether or not she liked the school. She tried not to focus her attention on him so much, as she always became flustered when she did so.

"I love it here, aren't the gardens amazing" she wasn't going to tell them that her own home was nearly as big and ancient and their gardens as splendid but that was her home in China, the one they had purchased for the years she was going to be attending Hogwarts was a beautiful mansion with picuturesque gardens and even a lake but nothing of this expanse. It was the absolute thrill of adventure here and the fresh scent of freedom and possibilities that hung in the air that had captivated her.

"Hello Beau, I'm Shalamar but everyone calls me Ova" she smiled just delighted to be outside enjoying the place. Zediphus gave the top of her head a peck as if he wanted her to acknowledge his presence or make an introduction, so laughingly she held up her right hand to him to fly to.

"This is Zediphus, I think he wants to make your acquaintence too" the light that gleamed in her eyes was almost intoxicating, she was definitely falling in love with Hogwarts and everything about it. It was almost as if she was under some kind of enchantment here. In reply Zediphus squawked at both boys before flying low over their heads and then making his way to a nearby tree. Ova frowned, he had never flown that low on someone before and she hoped he wasn't picking up any bad habits already.

"So you both made Slytherin, well done. We'll still be sharing some classes together. The class schedule looks very busy doesn't it?"

Holding his hand out, Henric caught a stray blade of grass flying past in his fingers, and watched it flapping softly in the wind in his grasp, then he released it, watching the little green spot float off into the sky until it was gone. "The gardens are quite large, not to mention they're reasonable painting potential." Henric blinked lazily, folding his arms, his gaze was now aimed at the sky, as if demanding some sort of supernatural answer, already not bothering to look at Beau - most of the Slytherins already caught on to the fact he read emotions easily.

"Just the one, Ova." Henric replied almost curtly to the question of classes, closing his eyes as if to remember something. When he opened them, his gaze slid away from Ova, as if he knew she was trying to avoid his gaze - alot of people tried to avoid his gaze. "Charms together on Wednesday, then Defence Against the Dark Arts next term." Henric recited slowly, his eyes glazed over as his memory flashed over what he had read and seen.

"Nice to meet you Ova," Beau said, the smile that accompanied it almost genuine. His gaze flicked to the bird that she introduced, he was suprised that it flew so low, and as he watched the bird fly away he hoped it would not return, animals as many people knew, where not to his liking. He scowled momenterily at the bird before turning his attention back to the two people he was with.
"What you've memorised the time table already?" Beau asked lazily to hide his suprise, he barely knew what lessons he would be participating in this term, not to mention who they would be sharing them with. "What house are you in?" he asked, suprised she knew what house he was in, considering he wasn't wearing any item that had the Slytherin crest on it.

Ova had never been corrected by anyone other than her grandmother before but she took very little notice now of Henric doing it to her. As far as she was concerned she was still right, after all just because both classes they had together were in different semesters didn't mean they had only 'one' class together.

"Nice to meet you too Beau, I remember you actually from the sorting ceremony. That was only brilliant wasn't it?" sometimes she knew her enthusiasm just went a little bit overboard but she really couldn't help it at least not here.
"I am in Ravenclaw" it didn't bother her that he hadn't known it wasn't like everyone of the first years bothered to note the placements or names of the others during the sorting. She had been nervous and had found doing so a way of steadying her nerves.

Ova smiled at the thought of Henric memorising his time table, she had glanced over hers but had just been too excited to really take it all in. Later on today she had promised herself that she would, much later.

Beau shrugged, "Yeah it was okay, I guess," he said, the sorting cermony hadn't been as good as he would have thought, though he had been sorted into Slytherin and he guessed that was the only thing that really mattered, he blocked out what that stupid hat had said to him and was no even more determind then ever to be succesful in everything he did. Even if that included flying, which he knew he wasn't good at, and would be challenge even getting him to that class.
"Ravenclaw," he repeated nodding in approval, "So your wise then!" he said, with a little laugh, Ova's enthusiasm seemed to bounce around giving him more enthusiasm then he usuaaly would have had.
"So how are you finding Ravenclaw?" he asked.

Henric had taken to animal bonding with Ova's pet raven; the two were now staring at each other, dead set, the raven's beady eyes flickering over his own, black, emotionless orbs. With Beau and Ova having a chat, Henric and the raven were having some sort of staring competition, broken when Henric turned to face the two others, much to the raven's cawing displeasure. "Yes, Ravenclaws do seem wise..." Henric quipped, rubbing his chin in faint thought, "I've met many interesting Ravenclaws. Many." His eyes flickered over Ova for a moment, his eyes focusing on hers for so long it looked like he was trying to shoot laser beams out of his eyes. Then he turned his head, deep in his own thoughts. "Some of them were like me." He said quietly, a smile crept over his face as he said so.

Ova looked at the ground for a moment and while doing so noticed one of the laces on her trainers had come loose. She bent down to tie it up again as she listened to Beau. She couldn't betray a smile when he said she must be wise.
"Far from it I'm afraid but that I'm sure will come with time as it will to all of us, I hope" once her lace was tied she walked to the bench and sat down, there was plenty of room on it after all. From here she had a good view of Henric staring at Zediphus and quizzically she watched the two, when suddenly Henric turned around and stared at her in much the same fashion has he had been staring at her raven. She found she could not look away but felt as if she were melting, being consumed by his eyes. The feeling scared her a little but still she could not look away.

It was finally his last comment that pulled her from what seemed like a trance.
"I don't think many first year Ravenclaws would be very wise, an interest and keeness to learn, to experience and learn. Wisdom can only come from age after all, no matter how many times someone says "you are wise for your years", I know I am not. I have a long, long way to go" she smiled at Beau, whose company she found quite comfortable. Her legs swayed out infront of her and she turned inquisitively up to meet Henrics gaze again.

"Why did you say that some were like you? What did you mean?" this boy would always hold her curiousty she felt. She couldn't stay sitting for very long and apologising for this fact she stood up again.
"I think I'm just a little hyper today".

Twirling his wand in his open palm, Henric paused it's movement and pointed it at the sky. "Wisdom is something gained through experience." His eyes floated lazily over to the two on the bench - as usual, he didn't mingle. "And pain." He added softly, his piercing eyes cast over Beau, Ova, then her raven, whom stared right back at him - something he find fairly pleasing, since most eyes panicked and attempted to hide their emotions. For a moment, his eyes wavered over Ova again, then he closed them. Ova didn't attempt to hide as well. That was why she was interesting.

"I meant exactly what I said." Henric replied in response to Ova's latest question, the same smile plastered on his face. "I found some Ravenclaws who were very much similar to me." He tapped a finger on his lips, and turned to face the sky. "Very much so." He repeated faintly, not elaborating on how they were similar, or apparently purposefully denying anyone else that information. "Ah, sorry." Henric commented suddenly, "I've been told I speak too formally." He inclined his head slightly to Beau as he said so.

"Being wise for your ages is a compliment," Beau said, "And that is probably why you are sorted into the house that holds the wisest," he said simply, he knew he wasn't wise, he was young and probably foolish but wasn't that what your teenage years were about? Making mistakes yet learning from them?..
"Mate, you do," he said with a small laugh, his words demonstrating his point exactly. "Sometimes just act like a kid," he said shrugging, he glanced over the company he was holding, not his first choice yet somehow still pleasent. The girl, Ova seemed like a good friend, she seemed wise yet free to explore childhood at the same time, and he liked that.

Hoshi was exploring the grounds, seeing what kind of trouble she could get herself into when she spoted Ova and Henric talking with a boy she knew only by sight at the Slythien commonroom. She walked over just intime to hear Henric say that he had met some Ravenclaws that where like him. "The pray I can sture things up with a spoon because this school year is going to be boring otherwise." She said with her goofy cartoon grin. "Hey Ova-chan, Henric-kun." She said brightly and she flicked a piece of her now green hair out of her face. "I am Hoshi Koshiba." She said to the boy and offered him her green lace covered hand. The rest of her was covered in a Wierd Sisters band T-shirt and ripped up black jeans. On her feet where banged up but still neon green vans.

Hoshi nodded. "And so are you. I remember bacause I saw you in the common room and remeber thinking 'He's cute'" She said in her usuall joking manner. She had seen him in the commonroom. More over she had seen him with Toni. She seemed to to get along with Slytherin's better than she did. Then again she hadn't met a lot of them and didn't really care what they thought of her. She was who she was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back