Vader Complex

She nodded at Damien, first in agreement with his plan, then dismissively regarding not calling her back. She didn't mind. She'd been used to it. She'd made a fool of herself before. But now, she was busy being an Auror. She could go back to failing at having a personal life afterwards, but for now, she had a task to accomplish.

The old Death Eater was staring at her with an odd look, Martine couldn't help but stare back. She always wondered what went on in the heads of those people, why they chose to blindly follow such abhorrent ideals. How they could bring themselves to kill so mindlessly, so senselessly. Martine guessed that she'd never understand it. All she knew was that she had to put a stop to those who did wish to follow the Dark Lord.

Damien saw him staring at Martine, and unleashed another stupify from his wand.

He didn't like the way Cocytus was looking at her... He wanted to use her against him, it was his way. He wanted to turn everything he loved against him, to break him down and get him to join the cause. All this did was cement the deep seeded hatred for the man Damien refused to call his father. He had raged against his father for so long, he didn't know how else to feel about him.

"Damien?"

"Yes momma?" A young Damien said.

"I saw you playing with that muggle boy today." She said.

"I-I-I'm sorry momma! I know I'm not supposed to, I know daddy wouldn't want-" Hands were on his cheek, a kiss on his forehead.

"It's okay Damien. Your father's not here anymore."

"So.. So I'm not in trouble?"

"No, Damien, I just want you to be careful around the muggles. Don't let them see your magic, or tell them about mommy's, okay?"

"O-okay."

"Now why don't you invite your new friend over to play?"

"Really, momma?"

"Of course! Maybe he can play that nintendo thing."

Damien scowled. He remembered the descending fist, the white hot pain... and it made this all the easier.

Cocytus deflected the stupify and turned his wand on Martine.

"Fulgure Rumpere!" He said as lightning erupted from the wand tip.

"Protego!" Martine cried, putting up a magical shield just in time to deflect the lightning, though it was fairly close. She would remember to thank whatever higher power there was for her quick reflexes later. "Oh no you don't, old man," she muttered to herself, between clenched teeth, before swishing and flicking her wand with style. "Expelliarmus!" She wasn't going to let Damien get hurt by his father. Together, they were going to take this man in, she was sure.

Cocytus blocked the spell, though his hand flung back, leaving an opening.

Damien flicked his wand.

A fireball erupted from it and struck Cocytus square in the chest.

He grinned.

"Got you, you bastard."

Cocytus flew back into the wall, he collapsed to the pavement, struggling to his feet. His chest was smoking, his robe smoldering.

His face was inconsolable fury.

"YOU WRETCH!" He screamed, standing finally.

((Cocytus: I HAVE FURY!))

Martine shot a warning look at Damien, as if to say 'don't get cocky, he could have a few more tricks up his sleeve' - though she did suspect that he knew that better than she did. At any rate, she stood firm, cleared her throat, and muttered 'incarcerous,' sending out ropes from her wand in order to bind him.

"Protego!" He said, his shield deflecting the ropes.

"Expecto Patronum!" he cried, a great panther erupting from the tip and charging at Martine.

Martine scowled, almost imperceptibly, as he deflected her spell. She'd been right, he wasn't down for the count yet. But she wasn't going to give up. Not until he did. Thinking back to the day she'd been accepted in to the Auror office, Martine took a deep breath, before conjuring up her own patronus. A great silver swan swam out from the tip of her wand, facing the panther in a menacing (for a swan, in any case) manner. Flapping its great wings in order to protect it's caster, the swan moved towards the panther, refusing it access to the woman.

Damien conjured his own, an over-sized Raven emerging and shooting towards the panther.
It stood next to the swan, cawing angrily.
"Damnit!" He snarled, shooting another stupify at Cocytus.

Cocytus spun away from the blast, firing a disorientation hex at Martine.

"I love you so much, Jean Pierre..."

"I love you too, Eribeth."

"And our son is going to be here soon... You'll be a good father."

"I'm so nervous... What if he hates me?"

"You're his father, he won't hate you."

He chuckled insanely.
"How wrong you were..." He said.

Martine couldn't react fast enough. She managed to dodge the brunt of it, but she still got hit and was minorly disorientated. Dammit, she thought, before her thoughts became a jumbled mess. Closing her eyes, she sunk down on to the ground, hitting herself on the forehead. Even though she was disorientated, she still had some idea of where she was and what she was meant to be doing. Shaking her head furiously, she got up as she began to regain herself. But how much had that moment cost her? She didn't know, but she hoped she could regain that time without too much trouble.

Cocytus laughed in victory as she got unsteadily to her feet. He fired a stupify at Damien, and approached her...

Damien flew through the air slamming into the crowd, They helped him to his feet, trying to keep the fight going longer.

"MARTINE!" he yelled, his voice rasping with the volume of his cry.

Regaining her sense of self and surroundings, Martine glared hatefully at the man as he approached her. There was no fear in her expression, even if her guts were twisting in to knots with anxiety. The last thing you could do in a fight was show fear. That would be the perfect advantage.

"Don't come near me, you hateful, cowardly man," she said, angrily, before quickly stepping on his foot, punching him in the nose, and raising her knee up to his groin. And whoever said girls couldn't fight? After managing to hit him where it hurt, she very quickly stepped back, so he wouldn't be able to counter-strike.

His brilliant victory... His murder of the girl and breaking of his son... All vanished in a flash of white hot pain. He screamed in pain and stumbled back.

"You Mudblood WH*RE!" He screamed his wand pointing at her shakily.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

Damien dove on top of Martine, the green blast not hitting him... but he still cried out in pain and fell hard on top of her. He felt some of his flesh dying from such close proximity to what was effectively anti-life. He rolled off of her and screamed in pain as his nerves exploded with agony.

Martine screamed as the man attacked her with what was certain death, she didn't even have the time to raise her wand in defence. So this was how she was going to die. In an alleyway, at the hands of a Death Eater. She wasn't ready to go yet, but she supposed she was going to.

Or so she thought. For Damien had just saved her life. She winced as she hit the ground, but she supposed hitting the ground and being in slight discomfort was much better than dying. "Oh God," she muttered, as she turned briefly to look at Damien, who looked to be in utter agony. "Thank you," she whispered, before turning back to face the Death Eater. "You bastard." Quickly, she got to her feet, ready to fight some more. "I didn't want things to come to this." There was fury evident in her eyes, but her voice was still calm, albeit a little shaky. "Surrender now, or I won't hold back." And with that, she cast a Petrificus Totalus, in order to completely petrify the man and make him much easier to arrest.

Cocytus deflected the spell shakily... He was hurt, weary... But he wasn't going to let her win, not before the final victory... He looked at her, an evil grin on his face.

"You little mudblood wench," he hissed. "You stand before one of Voldemort's chosen. I was there when he fell, I will be there when he rises. You feel you have any hope in defeating me?" Blood leaked from cuts on his face. "Then come, and when you die while Damien watches, it'll be all the more satisfying."

Damien took deep breaths, each one drawing more pain. He got shakily to his feet, then fell back to his knees crying out in pain.

"M-Martine..." he whispered.

"Leave mommy alone!"

"No... Not again..." He whispered trying again.

Martine looked at Damien, her heart breaking. No, no... she thought, desperate. There's no way he can die. Not now. She was going to be taking him to St Mungo's if they got out of there alive. When they got out of there alive, she reminded herself.

"Voldemort?" Martine questioned, her free hand clenching in to a fist. "Voldemort is not a God. Voldemort was a deluded man, brought down by the powers of good. Powers I am proud to fight for. And he is not going to rise again. You are all deluding yourselves, you vile Death Eater filth. And today, I am not going to die. Neither is your son. Stupefy!"

Standing up straight, Martine looked him dead in the eyes. "By the way, my mother was a pureblood herself. So while I would be proud to be born of muggles, your abhorrent term is an error. Just like your beliefs."

Cocytus couldn't quite avoid it, spinning to the wall, his arm numb again. He pointed his wand at her.

"You are wrong." He hissed desperately. "You'll see! He will return!" He raised his wand to the sky...

The Dark Mark formed in the clouds.

"HE WILL RETURN! OUR MASTER WILL BRING US OUT OF DARKNESS, INTO SALVATION!" He screamed. For once the crowd was silent... Then the screams started, first in the alley, than all over the the harbor.

Damien lifted his wand, shaking with pain and fury.

"No... More..." he managed through the pain. "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" he screamed, his patronus soaring from his wand...

The Stormcrow soared towards the Dark Mark... And with a burst of light, it was banished from the sky...

...only to reappear in the same spot an instant later. As it did, a dark figure appeared behind Cocytus, its wand held high.

"We had an appointment, Lachance." the figure stated flatly, lowering the wand to track Damien. "You failed to mention that you'd be having visitors."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back