Vader Complex

Damien Lachance

OOC First Name
Thom
Wand
Maple - Crystalized dragon blood, 12"
Damien looked at the note that had shown up on his doorstep. All it had were three words, a time and a location.

The word: come, my son

The place was here, in the alley near the Poison Ater on Bleak Street.

Damien's head was a mess, how the hell did his father know he was in New Zealand? Why was HE here to begin with? He shook his head and walked down the dark, dangerous streets. He narrowed his eyes, every face he saw seeming to bear the scar of his father... Every look his way one of hostility... Every hand in a pocket holding a wand, every word spoken a curse. He gathered his coat around him, trying not to stare back into those eyes.

Despite all of this his thoughts kept coming back to Martine, the girl who'd fallen asleep on his shoulder... And kissed him. It was the first day he'd known her and she'd kissed him, he'd kissed her back, and they'd fallen asleep in each other's arms. He wondered where she was now... She'd called earlier that day, he'd never had a chance to call her back... His thoughts snapped back to the here and now when he came to the alley marked on his note. There was a sillhouetted figure at the end of the alley, in the faint light Damien could make out a scar on his eye...

"Cocytus." he said.

Cocytus smiled.

"Still refusing to call me father, my boy?" he asked in his smooth, accented voice.

Cocytus' had learned his son was in the country when he met a 'brother' in the Poison Ater, he had told him of new Auror arriving in New Zealand. He hadn't expected it to be his son... This had brough on Cocytus a great deal of mixed emotions. He knew his son hated him, he had accepted that, but something inside him still panged with hurt at the way his son stared at him now, malice in his eyes. He realized it would be hard to change his son from the muggle loving fool that he was to the Death Eater he was meant to be, and if he failed at that, he'd have to kill the young man. He wasn't sure how to feel about that yet, but so far it had not been a pleasant idea.

"So, Damien," he said, sliding further into the alley, baiting Damien further in. "You have transferred to here, just as I arrive myself. What are the odds of this?" He spread his hands. "Could it be fate? Could it simply be chance?" His eyes narrowed and a venomous smile spread on his face. "Or could it be that a guiding hand brought us both here." He turned his eyes to the sky and pointed up. "He watches, Damien." He said. "The Dark Lord. This is all his plan."

Damien's face twisted into a scowl.

"He is dead." He snarled. "He is burning in the depths of hell. Your 'belief' is nothing more than a crazed man's obsession with the deceased." His eyes narrowed, boring into his father's. "Now did you call me here to talk about philosophy? Or is there a REASON?" He followed Cocytus deeper into the Alley, almost unconciously.

*Damien as a child*
The fist came back down and white hot pain shot through Damien's senses.

"You DAMN fool child! Do you not understand what they ARE?"

"Th-They're peopl-"

"WRONG!" The fist descended again. "They're VERMIN! They aren't like us! They are WEAKER!"

"B-but" Another pounding blow.

"THEY ARE BENEATH US AND YOU WOULD TREAT THEM AS YOU WOULD A BROTHER?" Cocytus looked down at his son. "You are a FOOL!"

Cocytus frowned.

"You understand so little, Damien." He said. "The Christians say Christ died for their sins, and rose again." He turned. "On the third day." He paced. "What you, and the others do not see is that our third day is coming" he said clenching his fists in front of him. "Soon our Lord Voldemort will return, and there will be no half breed boy to stop him." he snarled. "And this is what I offer you, a place at the side of the one who will reshape our world, who will bring a glorious age of the Wizards!" He raised his hands to the sky. "An age where we will not be opressed! No longer will we hide in the shadows, in fear of Muggles, inferior vermin who they would say are the true rulers of this world! I say no longer. I say we rise up and show them their place..." He clapped his hands, the sound reverberating throughout the alley. "Of which there is none."

Cocytus frowned at damien's words.

"The duty of a king to his people?" he asked.

"Exactly." He said. "Despite our gifts, we're still human, as are the muggles. Our gifts are not reason for us to despise them... You are right that they are not as strong as us, but because we are above them we have a duty to them." He said. "And I have accepted that duty as an Auror." He drew his wand, pointing it at his father. "And that's why I'll never join your Hate Cult." He snarled.

Cocytus' face contorted.

"You would place yourself above me?" He snarled. His face suddenly snapped back, as he regained his composure. "Very well then." he said simply, his wand sliding free. "Then, as many have said before me, you leave me no choice." He dropped into a combat position, shrugging his thick robe from his shoulders. "en guarde." he said quietly.

Damien dropped into a nearly identical fighting pose.

For a moment neither man moved... Then they began to slide a little, left or right.

Damien made the first move, a ball of fire flying from the end of his wand, silently casting it.

Cocytus flicked the fireball aside, it's blast blackening the brick walls, the sound of it reverberating down the street.

"Infernus Concussus!" he said, blasting a fireball back at Damien. He expected Damien to parry and advanced a few steps towards him, still in a combat pose. On the street a crowd began to gather after hearing the blast.

"Who's fightin'?"

"Looks loik a Deaf Eader!"

"which one?"

"I... I dunno."

"How can you tell he' a Death Eater?"

"LOOK OUT!"

Damien saw the crowd, if he dodged the fireball, it could strike the crowd, if he deflected it the same could happen. He tried to think of how he could avoid it...

an idea came to mind,

it'd be cutting it close, but it could work. He flicked his wand and fired another blast back at his fathers... If his aim was a little bit off....

The blasts connected, the blast sent Damien flying back a few feet. He landed hard on his back. He kipped up to his feet, a little disoriented. He looked up to see...

Cocytus' fist slammed into the side of Damien's face. His face had lost it's calm, contorted into rage.

"You could've made this EASY." he snarled ferally.
A fist slammed into the boy's face.

"You are being POISONED by the Muggle loving FOOLS!"

"JEAN! STOP HITTING HIM!" a woman's voice screamed.

"NO! He needs to have their blasphemies BEATEN out of him!"

Another ringing blow.

Damien reeled from another blow. Cocytus face was still a mask of fury.

"YOU and your muggle loving kind deserve this fate!"

Damien staggered back a few steps, blood leaking from his mouth.
"LEAVE MY SON ALONE!" she screamed.

"Our son." Cocytus reminded her. "And as his father it is my DUTY to make him learn!"

there was a scuffle.

"L-leave mommy alone..."

"Leave her alone." he snarled. His wand came up and he screamed "STUPIFY!"

Cocytus appeared confused. "Her?"

The blast was unleashed.

Cocytus fell back, the blast grazing him. His arm went numb, he barely kept hold of his wand. His face contorted further.

"You basalisk spawned WRETCH!" He screamed, switching his wand to his other hand...

In time for Damien to slam a fist into his jaw.

Damien brought his wand under the blow, and before Cocytus could hit the ground he blasted him with another burst from the wandtip.

Cocytus flew into the back of the alley, slamming into the wall. He climbed back up to his feet. His rage was palpable.

"Clearly... I failed as a father!" he shouted to Damien and the crowd. "See how my own son defies his father!" His shoulders heaved with each breath. "Truly, I cannot teach the boy..." His wand came up, unsteadily. "so he leaves me no choice!" He started to laugh, his voice crazed. "Spare the rod..."

He flicked the wand.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"" He screeched.

"PROTEGO!" shouted a new, distinctly feminine and accented voice. Having been out in Obsidian Harbour, Martine had heard some whispers about a Death Eater causing havoc in Bleak Street. And as an Auror, it was her duty to go check things out, even if it would be endangering her own life. Still, it was high time to show that she was getting better, that she'd overcome her initial sadness and was ready to move on and improve herself. And that she was a reputable witch - and Auror - in her own right.

It was a damn good thing she'd shown up, too, as she'd appeared to just save someone from certain death. Damien. Who no doubt could save himself, but at least she could provide a little help. Even if she was a little embarassed to be around him - after all, she'd made an utter fool of herself the last time they had spoken. But that wasn't the point now. The point was to stop the Death Eater. Who appeared to be...the father Damien had spoken of? Martine grimaced, keeping a fighting stance. This was going to be tough.

Damien snapped back into focus... The blast was gone, and in front of him, Martine stood.

"Martine?" he said completely gobsmacked to see her. He blushed a little, he had to admit that. He took the opportunity, firing a blast of lighting over Martine at Cocytus. "Thanks. How did you find us?"

Cocytus looked to see a young woman standing in front of Damien... The way Damien reacted to her, he knew her. Cocytus smiled insanely. His mask came back down, his crazed grin fading into a confident smile.

"So comes another." he said. "An auror obviously." His arm was regaining feeling. "Tell me, how do you know my son?"

"You are not exactly subtle in your choice of battleground," Martine stated, surprisingly calmly considering the situation. She held her wand close, prepared to react at the slightest notice - however, she did want to solve things diplomatically. If it came to force, then so be it, but if they could sort it out like adults, then that was good too.

"Who I am and my occupation - though I will grant that you are correct in your assumption - are none of your business, sir," she said, coolly. "I'm only here because of reports of Death Eater activity. And we don't take to kindly to your type in this town." Any moment, she would disarm him. But first, she wanted to see how he would react, before forcibly taking his wand from him.

Cocytus chuckled.

"So you're bedding him then?" He said, his wand still in an attack position. "HmHm... I can see from his reaction that I may be close." He went into his combat pose. "I'll enjoy tearing you from him."

Damien growled.

"You don't touch her." he said flatly. "Martine, I may need you to give me a few more of those shields." He said quietly, "Can you do that for me?" His face returned to it's snarl. "I swear, Cocytus, you even TRY to hex her, I'll put a hole in you."

Martine paled at the Death Eater's assumption. It wasn't like that at all, they were merely friends. Close friends, but still friends. She scowled, tightening her grip on her wand, and keeping a steady stance. No way was that creep getting his hands on her.

"Of course," she nodded, calmly, though there was a hint of anger in her eyes. "I've got your back."

Damien nodded. "Okay, I'll go left, you go right." He whispered. "And... I'm sorry I never called you back." he added, blushing a little.

He broke left, unleashing another Stupify. He looked at her, this was the side he hadn't seen that night, but the side she'd wanted to show him, he was sure. Looking at her now, it was clear she was an Auror... And a formidible one, facing down Cocytus Lachance, or any death eater for that matter. He had to admit it impressed him.

Cocytus deflected the blast, which blasted a window. He stepped to his right, moving to intercept Damien.

He looked at this girl. She stared at him with a dedication, and... Hints of anger? He smiled inwardly. She reminded him of his lover... She has the same focus in her eyes...

"Hello," Jean Pierre said to the young woman at the party. She turned and smiled at him.

"Hello, brother." She replied.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help but notice you. There aren't many sisters among our number." She giggled.

"Oh, I'm not one of you. My father is and he drags me to these parties some times." She explained.

"Well you seem right at home here." He said with a smile, "Perhaps your father sees potential?"

"Oh, he does, but I'm afraid I'm not cut out to be a Sister." She said, blushing a little.

"Oh?"

"I'm no good at fighting." she said, blushing deeper. "I'm afraid the thought of crossing wands with aurors makes me a little nauseous."

He chuckled. "Well not everyone is meant for battle." he said. "Why don't I buy you a drink?"

The memory faded. Oh yes, she would do nicely. Perhaps if he could turn her... The thought brought a sickening amount of pleasure to him. If he could turn her, Damien would fall, either to the wand or to the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back