Vader Complex

Cocytus' face dropped the rage, quickly replaced by a triumphant sneer. He turned only enough to see the black silhouette in his peripheral vision.

"...Shadow." he said. "Your timing could not be more perfect," He turned to Martine. "Now let us dispose of these damned Aurors!"

"Another day, with better resources." Shadow replied with a note of finality in his voice. "Right now, every Auror under the same sky is probably flocking to this position. It was foolish to cast the Mark in this situation." His hood turning to face Damien, he almost resembled a Dementor as his voice emitted from utter blackness. "I only kept it there because I'll be damned if some pup of an Auror is going to take it down."

The Dark Mark? Really? Death Eaters had never been very good at being discreet. You'd think with what they did, discretion was key, but obviously not. Rolling her eyes - for what good was a stupid symbol in the sky? - Martine slowly edged closer to Damien. She was worried about him, desperately hoping that he would be okay. It would not do to lose an Auror so quickly. After all, he'd saved her life. She couldn't live with herself if he died from his selflessness.

"Finite," Martine said finally, pointing at the sky. "Gentlemen," she began, her voice laden with sarcasm. "We do not need the Obliviators to be overworked, perchance some muggles took sight of your...artwork." Keeping her wand at the ready, Martine looked between the two of them. "Now, we can end this quickly and quietly, or you two can fight to take down a poor, defenceless woman. Either way, I am not intimidated by you."

Damien surged to his feet, pure rage fueling him and pushing him past the pain.

"COCYTUUUUUS!" He bellowed, his voice filled with a fury almost as great as that his father had just shown. "You... Can't... Run..." He said, raising his wand shakily. "I'm going to end... End it here." he said. "And when you die, I will PISS on your grave." He staggered forward.

"I.." one step.
"Hate." another.
"You." another.

He took one more step, tears starting to spill on his cheeks, his teeth clenched.

"I HATE YOU!"

His voice echoed off the walls. It brought a stunned silence to the crowd.

Cocytus looked genuinely stunned.

He stared back at his son, his face falling into a scowl. He looked at Shadow.

"He's... Beautiful." Erebeth said.

"He has his mother's eyes." Jean Pierre said.

"He has his daddy's smile." she said back. "Look at daddy!"

Damien cooed up at Jean Pierre.

"We're going to teach him." he said. "We're going to raise him right, teach him virtues..." Damien laughed. "I love you little one... What will we name him?"

"Damien." She said. "It's a good name."

"Damien... I love you."

"Let us take our leave shadow." he said flatly. "I need rest."

Martine couldn't help but gasp at Damien's exclamation. She couldn't imagine hating her own family, no matter how wrong in their beliefs they were. Even his father looked stunned. Without further thought, Martine, still holding on to her wand, rushed over to help keep the staggering Damien upright. She'd have to get him medical attention as soon as possible. She could perform basic healing spells, but she figured she'd need a healer to actually have a good look at him.

"Damien," she whispered. "It's okay, it's okay. We're going to get him and take him down, I promise," she breathed in to his ear, keeping a positive attitude. "Stay strong, Damien, you're going to be alright."

Not a trace of emotion could be detected within Shadow as he watched the events unfold. Giving a slight nod to the two Aurors, he Apparated away with a bang, Cocytus following a moment later.

Damien saw them leave, his eyes widening.

His knees threatened to buckle under Martine's support.

The tears spilled again. His face screwed up.

He'd won again, even after all this time...

He'd won. He'd bested him, nearly killed his newest friend, and gotten away with it.

He was still that boy being beaten... He had raged so hard against the past and yet it was still the same.\

His head reared back.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!"

He screamed before collapsing into wracking sobs.

Gently, Martine wrapped her arms around Damien. She had to keep him from completely falling apart. She had to keep him stable. "Shhh," she breathed. "It will be alright."

She remembered back to Gretchen's wedding, where she and Johannes had spent the evening together, being friendly distant relatives. He had been so cold, so distant. And when he'd heard the news of his uncle, his carer, dying, he broke his veneer for a moment to allow a small sob, and tears. Martine knew that his uncle had been far from kind to him. But there was nothing she could do but to simply hold his hand and let him cry. In this case, it was remarkably similar. All she could really do is hold Damien close, while he sobbed.

"I promise you, he will not be victorious."

After several minutes Damien's sobbed slowed.

"Martine... I..." He said looking up into her eyes.

"I think I need to get to St. Mungos... Now..." He said before blacking out on her shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back