Tree Climbing

Ella Palmer

Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
((Whoa. I came up with this idea and then I checked Keira's C.D. and it said she loved to climb trees!))
Ella had walked outside. She was enjoying the breeze and all of the nature surrounding her. She saw a tree that looked good to climb. As she climbed, she liked the view more and more. She smiled. She really did enjoy climbing trees. Especially the tall ones. The danger was what made it so enjoyable. She made her way up the tree, laughing with joy. Man, this place has awesome trees to climb in, she thought. Her brain tried to find a way to pull herself up on to the tree branch. She saw something that looked like a smaller branch and grabbed on to it because her brain told her that it was the easiest way. Then she realized that it wasn't a branch and almost fell off of the tree.

"Whoa," Ella said, pulling herself up on to the branch next to the girl who's arm she had grabbed. "Sorry about that. The name's Ella. Ella Palmer. I wasn't really expecting anyone to be up here." She smiled at the girl.

((Hehe, nice one))

Keira looked out over the lawn, watching people chat, unaware she was there. At the foot of the tree, she heard a rustling, but guessed it was just a squirrel. When something grabbed her arm, she gasped.
When the girl spoke, she realised she was harmless.
'That's ok. I like the company.' She helped pull the girl up onto the branch. 'I'm Keira.' She smiled, deciding to leave her surname out.
She looked through the leaves again. 'This is my favourite tree.' She laughed, because she took it so seriously. She was trying to laugh away the sadness inside her. Get a grip, she told herself, forcing another smile at Ella.

((I guess I'm just awesome like that. =)) ))
Ella put herself in a more comfortable position. Well, she thought with a smile. That's not a weird way to meet at all. She felt bad for creeping the girl out. She usually wasn't one to look where she was going or what she was doing, she just did it.

"I don't normally go around grabbing people's arms, so don't worry about that," she joked, hoping to make it less awkward. "This is my favorite tree so far, because it's the only one I've actually climbed here. The ones where I live were not good for climbing. It was very annoying. So I'm guessing you like to climb trees as well?"

She hoped that she hadn't made a wrong assumption, but she knew she was probably right. Why would someone be climbing a tree if they didn't like to do it? That would just be dumb. As she noticed Keira forcing a smile, she tried to think of what to say. She wasn't the best person to go to for comfort, she would probably just make a joke.

"Are you okay?" Ella asked, knowing it sounded stupid, but wanting to help Keira feel better by getting it off of her chest.

Keira gave a soft laugh, which she didn't have to force. 'Yes, I like climbing trees.' She paused. The girl was obviously feeling awkward and embarassed. Then she asked if she was all right.
Her eyes widened. She wasn't going to blab there and then. Besides, she would probably start making a fuss about it again.
'It's nothing.' She said simply. 'Well, nothing much.' She smiled sadly. 'I'm looking on the bright side...' She trailed off and looked at her feet, which were swinging forwards and backwards.
'It turns out I have a sister, but...' She sighed, and then smiled. She didn't want to talk about it much, she was the sort of person who liked to keep things to herself.

Ella didn't usually comfort her friends because she wasn't good at it, but she could tell that Keira didn't want to talk about it.

"Ah," she said. "I haven't been in a situation like that but it sounds like it's hard to go through. I'm guessing that you don't want to talk about it since it's stressful, so this is where we insert a subject change. Choose any subject you want to talk about."

She winked at Keira, hoping that changing a subject and making a joke would make her feel a bit better. She also made a joke because it was what she did. She was a goofy person. Goofy and talkative. Unfortunately, she was also a procrastinator. It must be hard with such a big change, she thought. I mean, that must be such a surprise! A sibling she didn't even know about!

Keira was quite surprised. Normally, her friends would have pestered Keira until she got angry, but Ella seemed to really understand
'Thank you.' She smiled. 'You're not like my other friends. In a good way!' She added quickly, giggling.
'Yeah, subject change.' She smiled, thinking about it for a moment. 'Do you like music?' Keira asked quietly. She wasn't sure why she had asked it. Ella just looked like a musical sort of person.
One of her old friends had liked music, and they were just like Ella.

"Well, that's good," Ella said, giggling. "I kind of like to stand out. I do like music. Very much. In fact, I'm starting a band. I play the electric guitar. I can sing, but I'm not an amazing singer. Do you like music?"

She hoped that Keira wouldn't mind her lazy, procrastinating side. Or her standing up to bullies side. Or her funny side. Of course, all of those things plus more made up her, and Keira hadn't pushed her out of the tree yet, which was a good sign.

"I feel like music is a way to express myself," she continued. "I'm not as great with words. With words it seems like I just talk on and on and I'm not that great of listener. So, I kind of talk on and on. Although I'm good at making people laugh! Well, it's what I like to think at least. I hope they're not laughing because my jokes are lame."

She smiled again at Keira. She thought for a moment. Ella had made a joke to herself, and she laughed in her head.

"So are you liking it here at Hogwarts?" she said, bringing her talkative side out without noticing. "I know I am! I know I'll make some great friends here."

Keira loved the way Ella was talkative, like herself.
'I like singing sometimes, but not in front of people.' She said, wondering why Ella was laughing. 'You're jokes aren't lame.' She smiled.

'Yeah, I think I like it here. I mean, I choose my friends carefully, I think, but I have still already found some.' She smiled. It was the truth. It felt odd, saying those things to someone she had just met. She felt comfortable with it.

Keira swung her legs again. 'Let's go higher up.' She smiled, knowing this tree so well that she knew they were only half way up. She got effortlessly to her feet and grabbed the branch above her. Then, she swung her legs up and twisted round.

The branch felt sturdy enough. 'Come up.' She teased, hanging upside down, her head near Ella's.

Ella smiled as she said, "That's cool. I am so getting to the top of this tree!"

She climbed to the branch above Keira and hung upside down.

"You come up," she said. "Wonder what the view is from the top of this huge tree. Must be great, it's a big one."

Keira grinned. 'You bet.'
She gripped the branch Ella was on. 'We'd better go up one by one. I don't know how strong these branches are.' She said truthfully, getting ready to heave herself up when Ella moved on. She hoped she didn't look scared, with Ella going first. She had done it many times before, but Ella didn't know that.

Hoping Ella wasn't going to rush too far ahead, she climbed up onto the branch above.

Ella grinned as she climbed up 2 more branches so Keira could move up on the tree.

"True," she said, stepping up just one branch. "Don't want to go and break a bone so I can't climb trees or anything for a while. Life would be extremely boring."

She was glad that she was enjoying herself and having a good time. She was also glad hat Keira hadn't been too creeped out by her and was enjoying herself.

((It took a while to write, and it's a bit short, but in no time I'll be back to normal. :) ))

Keira was grinning like an idiot. She hung onto the branch above, although it snapped. She teetered on the branch and clung onto the trunk for dear life.
'Imokay!' She gabbled, looking up. They were nearly at the top. 'Like the view?' She called up, smiling. Ella looked quite happy. Keira enjoyed the company of people like herself. Maybe Ella did too.

When Keira looked down, she could see almost everything. She pushed a branch out of the way, and saw people chatting below. Keira liked to be above everybody. It made her feel special for once.
'Keep going!' She called, starting to climb again. She didn't care that a branch had just snapped. She was having fun. Something she hadn't had for a long time.

((That's ok, I hope you feel better soon :) ))

Ella climbed like a natural. When she saw that she was near the top, she smiled even more. She stopped a bit so Keira could catch up.

"Careful there," she said. "I love the view! It's great. And we're not even at the actual top yet!"

When Keira was close behind her, she continued climbing. As she got to the top, she grinned. The view was beautiful. She sat down on the highest sturdy branch after making sure it could hold her. She motioned for Keira to climb up and sit. She sure was having a lot of fun.

((Thank you. :) ))

Keira smiled, finally pulling herself up next to Ella.
She had been at the top of this tree many times already, but the view still made her heart thump. 'I love it here.' She whispered, hoping Ella didn't think she was a nutter.
'It's pretty cool, eh?' She smiled. 'I like to come here. I hide away from everyone. But I am willing to share my spot with you.' She added.
If the branch they were sitting on snapped, they may well have plummeted to their deaths. They'd have to have been pretty lucky to stay alive.

Keira was sure the branch was strong enough. She didn't doubt herself. She had bought a knife up before and cut the bark. If the inside had been rotten, the branch wouldn't have been strong enough.
But it was perfect. That's how she knew it would hold.

'Are you ok?' She hoped the girl didn't suffer from motion sickness. The tree was swaying only a little, but it still made the world below seem to move incredibly.

Ella smiled. She loved the view. She had different views where she was from, there were sunset beaches. But this was awesome and new to her.

"I love it here too," she said. "It's very cool here. And thanks. I think that I'll probably come back here. I'm okay, just not used to being up in a tree like this. I didn't used to see these trees before."

Keira felt sorry for Ella for the fact she had never climbed this tree before.
'There are lots of trees here, but I think this one is my favourite.' She said with a delicate voice.
Now they were up, she didn't know what to do. A bird swooped down next to them, making Keira giggle.
'How are you getting on in Hogwarts?' She asked, making sure she was still concentrating about holding on to the branch.

Ella watched as the bird swooped down near them. It made her smile.

"There sure are," she said. "Better put 'climbing all the trees on the great lawn' on my to-do list for things to accomplish at Hogwarts. It does seem like a great place up here. I'm doing pretty good at Hogwarts. Meeting friends. Met a few bullies. But I can always handle them. Handling meaning getting them to back off without hurting them. In the future, if they get tougher though, I'll be ready. How about you?"

She looked around at the view. It was all very nice. She loved the beach, but she thought that this was an awesome place as well. It didn't beat the beach, it was where she had basically grown up, but it was better than just inside of a classroom or something.

"I wonder what it would look like if you mixed the view from this treetop with a sunset beach.... I think it would look nice."

Keira giggled. She liked Ella's strange but colourful mind.

'Well, I normally keep to myself a bit... And with all thats been going on recently, I havn't really had much fun. That's why I'm really enjoying this.' She said, smiling. Secretly, she didn't like the beach much. She had had a bad experience there once.

'I miss my foster family a bit. I had a really kind 'sister'.' She said, because she wasn't a real sister. 'When she found me out in the cold, she took me in and made me warm. That's why I have always wanted a real sister. But now I have one, and I don't know if I will like her.' She sighed. 'I shouldn't ramble on to you.' She smiled. 'It's like I've known you for months, though.' She added truthfully, wondering what Ella thought of her.

"That's a nice story," Ella said. "Except the part about finding a real sister. Sometimes huge surprises aren't welcome. It's okay, I seem to ramble sometimes, too. Just talk about what you want to talk about, I'm listening. Just as long as you're listening to what I'm saying. Because a lot of people kind of doze off while I'm busy talking on and on... it gets really annoying. I don't really understand why they do it. I thought people were good listeners, but I guess I was wrong. So anyway, it would be bad for one of us to fall asleep while we're at the top of this tree, so I think I'll just be quiet now."

She looked up as a bird flew right above their heads. It was a very pretty sight. It was like she could reach out and touch the bird. She smiled.

Keira smiled, and was listening carefully. When she noticed Ella look up at the bird and smile, she said, 'Do you want to see it close up?'
Without waiting for a reply, Keira carefully stood up, holding onto the trunk, and held her arm out. She whistled in a way she had learnt, and the bird flew down to her.
She was actually quite surprised, not having known if it would work.
The owl perched on her arm, and Keira sat down again, stroking his head. She wondered what Ella would be thinking.

Ella watched as the bird landed on Keira's arm after she whistled.

"Whoa," she said in a whisper so she didn't scare the bird. "You have got to teach me how to do that!"

She felt the feathers of the bird. It looked at her and it seemed to smile. She smiled back at it.

Keira smiled. 'I.. I don't know how I did it.' She said truthfully. The whistle had come naturally to her.
She held out her arm to let the owl fly away again.
'If you... Whistle but keep your tongue on the top of your mouth.' She said, trying to practice how she had done it. 'Then it might come back.'

Ella nodded as she listened to what Keira said. She did as her friend said, and nothing happened. She tried it again and put her arm out for a bird to land on. She watched as the owl kept on flying away, but another bird that was flying nearby landed on her arm.

"Hey, little bird," she said in a whisper, stroking the creature gently. "I'm Ella. You're a beautiful bird."

She let it fly away because she knew that it probably didn't like to be stuck in one place.

"Thanks for teaching me that," Ella said. "That's really cool."

Keira smiled. 'That's ok.' She was going to tell her it worked better with seeds in your hand, when a gust of wind made Keira cling to the tree.

'Maybe we should go back down.' She giggled, the tree swaying more now. 'It's too windy. We can always stay half way down.' Keira didn't want to come across as being the anxious about everything type, but she was always happier safe than sorry.
'I want to tell someone about what happened to me when I was little.' Keira said, surprising herself. She had never wanted to talk about it. Not even to a friend she had known for years.

Keira put her foot on the branch below, and began lowering herself down.

Ella nodded. She noticed that it was windy and that they might fall from high up, which would probably result in broken bones.

"Yeah," she said. "Might not be safe up here. The wind seems like it's picking up. Half way down sounds good to me."

She climbed over to the other side of the tree and went to the same height Keira was at.

"So we don't have to talk up and down to each other. The wind will make it harder to hear, and we would have to shout which would hurt our throats if we did it too much. It might be easier across from each other."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back