Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Sofia
Wand
Curly 14 Inch Flexible Rowan Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Lesson Six: Registering as an Animagus
"The progress of becoming an Animagus is without a doubt one of the most dangerous branches of Transfiguration." Leif began his lesson. There was still a lot to cover today so he might as well get on with it. "Of course, all branches come with their hazards, but, in order to be an Animagus, you'll need to have a high standard of dedication, skill, intelligence and common sense. It's far from easy, and few witches and wizards succeed."

Leif walked around the classroom before ending at his desk, leaning against it like he often did and glancing over his students to make sure they were paying attention. "It can take years, even decades for some, to master the ability. Everyone is different, and responds to the process in their own way. The training is strict and requires the utmost concentration. The mind is a complex system that you have to learn to take control of in order to master Transfiguration."

"There have been a great number of people who have wasted away their lives, attempting to learn this art, but never made it. It takes great care because you are essentially transfiguring yourself. In many cases, some have gone on to transfigure themselves into an animal, with no way to reverse it or no one around to assist them in reverting to their human state, so they remain that way." There was no telling how many animals in the world right now could have potentially once been people, stuck that way forever. Which was not a thought he'd like to linger on. "Failure is part of the process, something you'll have to deal with if becoming an Animagus is your goal. As is the hard work you'll need to put in. Transfiguring yourself into an animal literally means having to transfigure the cells in your body to those of that animal. It takes a lot of effort to make those cells listen to what you're trying to do."

"Once you succesfully become an Animagus, you must register with the Ministry." Leif spoke, pausing for a second so everyone could have a moment to catch up with what he had just told them. "It's another time consuming process because you'll have to undergo tests about your ability and responsibility. We don't want Animagi using their skills to go unrecognized and break the law. Which is why the registration includes any specific markings or traits of your Animagus form so you're easier to identify. Those who wear glasses can find their animal form has ring like patterns around the eyes, for example. Blindness, deafness, missing appendages, are all also things that will cross over into your animagus form." He paused again, although perhaps more for himself than for his students. He dreaded giving long lectures as much as he was sure his students dreaded having to sit through them, but the information needed to be given.

"As I said, to become an Animagus requires a certain amount of ability and dedication. Even with hours upon hours of practice, most people never quite learn the complete transformation. Often, it goes horribly wrong. There are plenty of stories about cases gone wrong, like how one time a boy managed to turn himself into an anteater for a few seconds but faced the repercussions of his failure when he felt the urge to eat insects for the remainder of the week." Leif told them, deciding on a rather innocent example to indicate things often didn't work out.

"Also, if done improperly, you may become disfigured permanently with some of the features of the animal. Like I told you last week, you do not have control over what animal you might turn into. There's a couple of things that could give you hints about it, but it's never sure until you succesfully master the art of becoming an Animagus." He finished. "Right, I'd hate to give you homework after such a long lecture but I promise it's not that bad." Leif offered them a smile. "Simply write to me about what animal you think you'd be as an Animagus and why. And should you stumble upon any questions while preparing for exams, my door is always open."

Roleplay the lesson for full marks.
Write about one or two animals you think your Animagus form could be for extra credit. Doesn't have to be long, between 50-100 words is fine.

Teddy arrived for Transfigurations and took his seat, hoping for a review lesson, but luck wasn't on his side that day. He took notes about Animagus registration and wondered which animal he might transform into. Jotting down his thoughts, which came in useful when he completed the extra credit, Teddy thought about how much hard work it would take to achieve full animagus but how amazing it must feel to achieve it. After the lesson, he headed to the library to review his notes before he got too hungry and had to eat.

My Animagus form might be a brown bear, fitting with my name being Teddy. Bears are protective, strong, and also playful and sociable, like me. Alternatively, a monkey might suit me for being fun, opportunistic, and aggressive when threatened. That being said, a sea cucumber wouldn't be so bad either.

Audrey was pretty tired, her brain had never had to work this hard before and while she relished the challenge, it was quite a lot. It was probably for the best that they weren't doing any actual transfigurations in class today, as in this state Audrey may have made a mistake. Not that she would admit that out loud, of course, the idea of anyone thinking she could possibly make mistakes was an abhorrent one. Though, it was in the forefront of her mind as the professor talked about the risks and dangers of trying to become an animagus, colour draining from her face as she imagined getting stuck halfway between a human and an animal, or getting stuck as an animal and not being able to turn back. Would anyone notice she was gone? That had been on her mind ever since the boggart lesson, and she hated it. Audrey just decided to try and ignore that and focus on answering the question for the professor before leaving the classroom.

If I were to become an animagus I think I might be a crow. They like shiny things, are smart and can communicate with humans even without being wizards in disguise (at least I think so, unless all crows are just wizards who got stuck???). Plus I like flying. Or maybe an octopus because they're good at solving puzzles and are surprisingly strong. I'd have to work around the needing to be in water thing but I'm sure I could manage it.

Callie walked into the transfiguration classroom and took her usual spot in the room. She took out her notes and books, but was pleased when this wouldn’t be another revision lesson, but instead would be a proper lesson. Callie took her quill and began writing down what the professor was saying about the animagus form and how long and difficult it was. She thought it sounded pretty cool, but was ultimately, not as bothered with wanting to do it. She made sure that she was getting down everything that the professor was telling them about it. Not wanting to miss any of the important information that the professor was telling them about it. She was sure that this would come up in the exam and it was fairly interesting. Eventually the lesson wrapped up with a little homework and Callie headed out of the room, pretty focused on thinking about what creature she would become.

Enoch headed tiredly into the transfiguration classroom. His gaze moved to the professor at the front of the room. He took out his notes and placed them down in front of him. His gaze moved to the professor listening along vaguely with what was being said. He wondered if his parents would’ve wanted him to try for being an animagus. They had had such dreams of various things and now he wasn’t sure if he was right in thinking that they would want that. He knew he wouldn’t have been capable of it, but without them to maybe prompt him into trying he wasn’t about to try. He listened along, not particularly well, but trying. He had his quill over the page and was taking the odd note, but not really that many, and he was sure they wouldn’t be of much use if he had to read them back. Eventually the lesson was wrapped up and Enoch headed out of the room.

Friday walked into the transfiguration classroom and took a spot at the back of the room, as she always did. Friday hoped that it would be a revision, so that she might be able to leave the room and go pretend to work elsewhere, but it seemed it wasn’t. The professor was going to have them revise, instead he was giving them a lecture on animagus. She huffed a little and took her quill, though Friday didn’t take a single note from what was being said. Instead she just listened vaguely, and was eager for ti to be over. The lecture was SO long as well. Didn’t the professor know that this was like the last class. She was glad when it was finally wrapped up and she was able to pack up and head out of the class.

Veronica had been hoping for a nice easy end to Transfiguration with it being the last week of the semester, instead as she made her way into the classroom and took her seat it became apparent they would be getting a lecture. The lecture was on registering as an Animagus, it was important for anyone who might want to pursue it themselves and it was something Veronica was considering, so she took out a sheet of parchment and began to take notes, she wanted to make sure she got everything down. The process to become an animagus sounded long and difficult, would she have the patience to do something like that? She thought achieving the ability would be good for her future career choice but it sounded like it would take longer to train it than it would to achieve the grades she needed. She made notes on what the professor said including the rules around registering and some thoughts on what animal she might turn into, but as she understood it it wasn't a decision she would get to make. When the lesson was over Veronica packed away her notes and made her way out of the classroom once they had been dismissed.

Following a rather fascinating lecture on Animagi Millie was wondering how Professor Odegard was going to follow that up given it was the final lesson of the semester. Would there be any follow up or would they simply spend the lesson studying as some professors had had them do. When she made her way into the classroom and took her seat she soon got her answer. Professor Odegard was continuing the theme of the previous lesson and talking more about the process of registering with the ministry once you've successfully become an animagus. Millie took out a sheet of parchment so she could take notes and follow along with the lecture. It was a long but interesting lecture so she didn't mind it too much. When the lesson was over she gathered up her notes and put them into her bag. Once they were dismissed she made her way out of the classroom.

Artemis Vasilakis hoped that this time, she would really get to see her big brother play Quidditch when she saw him again. Sometimes, the games were scheduled outside of her range of visitation, but she did like seeing him practice. And she was a chaser! Artie remembered that she had to be in class soon, so she hurried and packed her bag to rush out. She hoped that she would not be late! And by the time she arrived, Artie was right on time. Artie entered the Transfiguration classroom and sat down in her seat. Professor Odegard started the lesson with the process of registering as an animagus. Artie would not mind being one herself, but she was not skilled that much in transfiguration. She finished up her notes though, and left upon dismissal. Artie hated to know that some people wasted their whole life trying to be one. Artie would not be like that.

The werewolf finally made it to his last week of lessons, and it could not come soon enough for the third year Slytherin! Dante Styx had everything he needed, from notes to textbooks to writing utensils, and finally, his wand in case he needed to practice. Sometimes, the professor let them leave early to study and sometimes they had to learn new material. Dante was not sure which one this would be, but at least he made it to class on time. Dante made his way in the Transfiguration classroom and settled in his seat. Professor Odegard let them know that they were going over more about the process of being an animagus. Dante took out his parchment, ink and quill to write down the more important parts of the lecture. He had a couple of relatives that were animagi, and he knew that the process was hard to do. But it was still nice in the long run. He finished his notes when the professor dismissed the students. He needed time to study to do okay on the exams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back