tidying up, a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abathyn Dalmoir

Hey! ^_^

So I was stalking the member lists, and I noticed there are a lot of inactive characters just hanging about on that list, especially on the first page. Is it possible to tidy it up a bit, maybe have inactive members hidden until you choose to look? I admit that this may require a lot of time and effort and coding, but I'm happy to help if you consider my idea to not be ridiculous.

-Olivia

It is possible to make a user group invisible to members when you look at the members list. So staff would see them on the list, but general members would not be - even if they were looking.
Supposing I made the inactive group hidden like that, you would not be able to locate accounts in that group except if you found a post/PM by/from them. Member search would turn up no results.

So, I would be against this, personally. Making inactive users a hidden group changes nothing for myself or the other site staff, but would make it quite difficult for you lot to locate older characters.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this, but I often check my birthday on the calender to see if I have any inactive users. I don't think I'd be able to see them if you did that?
I might be talking rubbish xD
Claire

I'm not sure, to be honest.
I know inactive accounts (inactivity decided by how long it has been since last login/post, not the group) don't show up on the index page for birthdays. I don't know how it would work on the calendar, though I suspect if the group was hidden you wouldn't see their birthdays on the calendar. (For instance, the banned group is hidden, and I don't think their birthdays would show to general members on the calendar.)

I just don't particularly like the idea.
If we seriously wanted to 'tidy up' the members list - why not just delete accounts?
I don't like that idea, either. ;)

Would it be possible, then, to make a code that removes Inactive Users from the overall member list until somebody searches for them?

Yes, but it'd be annoying and silly and slow down page load times. I'm not going to put in a code to do that.
Why not?
1) Every page of the members list would have a different number of users listed. If one page had 10 inactive users, then that page would just remove those rows and not replace them. It'd look uneven and, quite frankly, stupid.
2) Trying to replace removed rows would require extra page loads, slowing down page load times again.

With no further discussion, or opinions shared, I will archive this suggestion and keep inactive users visible to members. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back