Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
too young to care
Wand
Knotted 10 Inch Sturdy Pear Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
The library being right across from the hufflepuff common room was certainly going to be good for Daiki. He wasn't the top reader, he liked reading, but tended to read more slowly, absorbing it slowly. He had no rush to finish the books, though he figured he would need to move a little quicker with some of his classes. Daiki was exploring the library slowly, getting a feel for the place, and trying to figure out what he wanted to start with, school or not school. Fiction or non-fiction. Daiki spotted a book he was pretty interested in, and then noted that there was someone, a first year, likely, who was stood in front of exactly where it was. He didn't rush the guy, just stood where he'd spotted it and waited for the guy to move so he could grab the book.

Eli was... well overwhelmed probably wasn't the right word. After Jonah had gone on and on about how he was going to break into the headmaster's office and talk to the hat (which Elijah absolutely did not believe for even a second), he'd moved on and headed straight for the library, leaving Rose to try and deal with whatever situation his brother was going to get himself into. At this moment Elijah wasn't all that interested in what his siblings were doing. He had class work to get ahead on and how was he supposed to do that if this library was so big, it was making him, frankly, quite dizzy. He looked up at a couple of the books he was looking at, but felt no real need to get them at this moment, honestly how his parents had forgotten to prepare him for the sheer vastness of this old library was insanity, the library back in Mohoutokoro was better in that it had some good indexing at least. He noticed a boy standing near to him and frowned, "Oh, sorry, you go," he said, gesturing to the wall of books he'd just been staring up at.

@Daiki Saito

Daiki gave the boy a little smile as he turned to him and shook his head. "It's okay, I'm in no rush, you can finish, whatever it ws you were doing," he said in response, his tone indicating that he really didn't mind waiting for this boy to finish what he was doing. He wanted a book, but he didn't immediately need it, he could just easily wait and then be able to get it. That wasn't going to be a problem for sure.

Elijah muttered under his breath in swift Japanese. Nothing serious, but clearly frustrated. A couple of curses, none of which were aimed at the boy behind him. "I don't actually know what I want, is the problem. I'm used to a be-different index system, this one doesn't make any sense, it's like people pick up the books and shove them wherever they want to," he was sure that wasn't strictly true, because he knew there was at least one librarian around here (had to be!) who probably knew exactly how these stacks were organised, but they weren't organised by decimal or year, were they organised by author's name and subject matter? He looked back up the line of books and frowned. "You don't know where the books on the lake are kept, do you?" If they were organised by author name there was no way he was going to find it.

@Daiki Saito

Last edited:
Daiki wasn't sure he knew what the be-different indexing system was, but he was pretty sure that this wasn't the way most libraries were, or at least, the way the libraries he'd been to were. He glanced at the books. "They're organized by the dewey decimal system," he replied, pointing to one of the books, where there was the numbers and letters at the bottom. "Might be a bit different from the muggle system, but probably just a little variation of it," he replied. "You probably want geography if you're looking for stuff on lakes, what specifically are you looking for?"

Elijah looked at the books. If this was the Decimal system, it was a very different one than the NDC system he was raised on in Mohoutokoro. He was looking for Geography, which should have put him in the 200 section, but he couldn't seem to figure out there that section was. "I don't know anything about the muggle system, I've not spent too much time with them," he said, shrugging. His dad might have been head of the Muggle Excuse Department in Japan, but he'd never spent much time with Muggles. Mostly he was reading, and the NDC system in Japan made way more sense than whatever these random numbers meant here. "I wanted to know more about the Lake here, people keep telling me there's mermaids and I want to know more about that, but why would you put letters in a decimal system, it's designed for numbers, this isn't algebra." He didn't have anything against muggles, not really, but unlike most wizards his age, he'd read some of the books about he statute of secrecy and knew some of why it was created and enforced.

@Daiki Saito

Daiki nodded, he was a little surprised that this boy knew nothing of the muggle system, explaining it away with hadn't never interacted much with it. But it didn't really matter, he just nodded as the boy explained what he was looking for specifically. "We could split up, I can do magical animals, if you do georgaphy, that way we can cover more ground and find books on it?" he asked. "Or I can ask the librarian, one of them is likely to know the numbers and where exactly they sit,"

Eli thought for a moment, considering the options. "Splitting up sounds like a good plan. I can handle the geography section and see what I can find there. If you focus on magical animals, we'll cover more ground and have a better chance of locating the books we need. If we still can't find everything we're looking for, asking the librarian would be a solid backup. They usually know exactly where things are and can point us in the right direction. That way, we won't waste time searching aimlessly." he said, already heading in the direction he thought, or hoped, he might find geography, since that had been half his problem in the first place.

@Daiki Saito

Daiki nodded in agreement as the boy went over the plan, and then he nodded again. He headed over to the magical animals section, and didn't struggle too much to find the books about the lake. There weren't that many of them, and some seemed to be more general, with only references to lake animals, and at least one short one seemed to be a little more the idea about a giant squid in the lake. He grabbed any of the ones that he thought the boy might want, and then he headed back towards the spot where he had originally found the boy, rather than seeking him out. Though if he wasn't back quickly, he'd go find him.

The books were ordered fairly well now that he sort of understood the system, which would hopefully make them a lot easier to find. He looked for books specifically on the black lake, and then some on the local landscapes. It's hard to know what he might need to find with all of this information now at hand. Gathered five or six books in his arms he heads back to where he saw the previous guy. "I'm Elijah by the way, Eli Edogawa," he said, putting his books back on the table. "I hope we've got enough to cover, thanks for the help, I'm trying to get a head start and it's customary to start the year with a written essay on certain subject elements, I've heard they don't do that here, but I don't want to get out of the practice."

Daiki smiled at the guy as he approached. "Daiki Saito," he introduced back as he placed the books down on the table and then frowned a little, wondering where it was customary to do such things. "Did you go to school before this?" he asked, knowing that some magical kids did, but he hadn't. He could figure this guy, Eli, likely had.

"I went to Mohoutokoro," he said, tilting his head at the guy slightly. His name was Japanese, but he didn't suppose that meant anything really. Just because the other boy had a Japanese name, and possibly Japanese parents, didn't mean he'd been born or raised there. After all, Eli was only half Japanese, but he had been born and raised there, so there was no telling. "They have a day program from the age of seven. I actually thought I'd be attending their boarding program too, like my older siblings, but I guess my parents changed their mind in the last moments and so we came here."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back