The Winterling lair

Draven Winterling

Draven frowned, wincing as the sound of glass shattering against the tiled floor of the tiny kitchen reverbrated with a racket tenfold the normal volume thanks to his hightened sense. Ravus had been drinking for a good hour or two now, though they both knew the effort was pointless, and was appearently getting himself royally pissed to find that once again the alcohol had very little if any effect at all.
Shaking his head, Draven turned back to the knife he'd been sharpening.

Liz appeared alongside Serpentes, and closed her eyes. Apparition had a tendancy to make her dizzy for a moment. After a second of rubbing her temple, she opened her eyes, and the world blurred back into view.

She saw Draven, sharpening a knife. The air smelled distinctly of alcohol.

Definitly a situation in which to keep my mouth shut. she thought.

Liz nodded respectfully to Draven, and waited for some indication from one of the two men.

If Draven was surprised, he didn't show it. He didn't pause in his work, didn't look up. His frown had returned though. Apparations were terribly loud to the Winterling ears. His frown didn't last very long this time though, hearing more glass shatter and Ravus cussing like a sailor from the kitchen. Alcohol may not have been able to dull his senses but apparently he had ingested enough to earn himself a headache and even more sensitive ears.

Serpentes grinned cruelly, shaking his head as if he were the only rightious one in the room. "If your as merciful as you claim to be Draven, you'd go knock him out for a while," he said casually, pulling up a chair at the small, worn out table in the corner of the room. "Put him out of his misery."

Draven glance up at Serpentes sharply, his gaze narrowed and cold. He'd never liked the old man much. "We're not on lieniant terms with each other at the moment. One wrong move and we'll find ourselves in fight to the death in no time." he said casually, dropping his gaze back to his knife.

Liz resisted the urge to quirk an eyebrow. Their family dynamics were sure to be something fascinating... and maybe, eventually, she'd be able to learn a bit more about them.

"So," she spoke to Serpentes, "I'd like to discuss the terms of being a death eater, if you are prepared?"

"Oh, I am well prepared, child, but I'm afraid that you have wasted your time in coming here if that was your only intention." Serpentes said calmly,"You see, unlike some, I do not hand out permission slips and name random people a death eater left and right. I... create them you could say. A rather long and grusome process, and one that I will not bestoe upon a child."

"Wouldn't you agree, Draven?"

Draven clutched the wrong end of his knife too hard in his hand, the blade cutting deep into the calloused flesh of his palm, but he didn't seem to notice the pain. He nodded gravely, his teeth clenched tensely as if he were suddenly furious about something. "No," he agreed as slowly regained his composure and let go of the knife, cleaning the blade off with a corner of his shirt as casually as if nothing had happened. "Ours is no life for a child."

To himself he thought, it's no life for anybody and unfortunatly, he glanced at his hand, wincing inwardly as the wound spontaniously closed, the blood drying to a brownish-red powder, it's not an easy one to end, either.

Liz smiled. It was a simple smile, to convey the seriousness of her simple statement.

"Then, you'd best stop considering me a child."

She paused for several moments. "I have left Hogwarts. I will be learning the course material on my own, and return for the NEWTS and graduation along with my classmates. The rest of my spare time is reserved to learn about the dark arts, power, and those people that combine the two. That is learning for which I would trade my services."

"You seem to be missing my point," Serpentes sighed. "As I said, I create my death eaters and mine are nothing like the kind you have dealt with."

He glance sideways at Draven, grinning slightly at the man's obvious unease. He turned back to Elizabeth, nodding in Draven's direction. "Have you never wondered why they're so fast, so strong? Why their senses are so much higher than any normal persons? They certainly weren't born that way and they both have payed a terrible price to achieve their... capabilities."

Liz nodded. "I'm not going to lie. They, along with yourself, are the ones that intrigue me the most."

She rubbed her temples, worried that they'd never get to the point. Liz was here for one reason- an exchange. She didn't particularly want to be a death eater... but she wanted to learn about them. These three in particular, and possibly Sophia's father. This would also provide an opportunity to be closer to Garett. For all this knowledge and opportunity, she would trade anything. Well, almost anything.

"I was not missing the point. I understand, or I believe I do. I would like to know, what is this price?"

"It's better to think of it as a choice worse than death, kid." Draven muttered, sheithing his knife and staring Liz directly in the eyes. "You go into because your life is over and death, though you want it more than anything, is not a good enough fate. Once you're in, you're life is constant pain. You don't sleep or dream, food is tasteless in your mouth. Happiness is just a memory to us, a fable that may have never existed for all we know."

Liz listened to his words, and they stung her. She now knew they were right, that this was something she definitely didn't want. That's not where the sting came from though. She felt immense pity well up. They were in this horrible situation, and it seemed as though they just accepted it. They didn't challenge their fate. Or, maybe they couldn't. Could she help them? Would they let her if she tried? Doubtful.

Her eyes glazed over a bit, and she glanced to the floor, disappointed. "You're right, I don't want that. I have yet to reach a point where that seems like the fate I need."

She looked up. "But because I can't do that, doesn't mean I can't do something."

"They are, in a sense, no longer human." Serpentes pointed out with a shrug, "Just as I am not. But I remind you, they are not normal death eaters. I believe Valcon can give you what you were looking, however. His death eaters are of the regular kind, their fates less sealed, less bleak than mine. I suggest you try your luck with him if becoming a death eater is truelly what you want."

Liz nodded. "For now, I believe that is what I am looking for. Would you be able to direct me to this Valcon? It would be much appreciated."

A sharp cold pierced straight through Draven's core, filling him so entirely that his breath left his mouth and nose in a fog of powdered ice. He tried to shake it off, but the feeling wouldn't leave him. "sh1t," he hissed, clutching at the arms of his chair as the Sight gripped him, dragging his mind into the dark void of the Netherworld. The glowing blackness, the mirror image of the dead world itself, filled his eyes, his face going slack and expressionless as his control wavered and slipped.

Liz stood, confused about what was happening. She watched Draven, hoping he would be okay.

Great, empathy towards people I hardly know, who beat Estrella. she thought. But I really do hope he's okay.

"Great," Serpentes snapped callously, shaking his head "This better be good."

Glancing at Liz, he explained, "Poor bastard's gifted with Sight, which is pretty much a general term for a ton of psychic mumbo jumbo." He frowned irritably as if the whole thing were Draven's fault. "Unfortunately when that's combined with what he is, he can't control the Sight as easily as he'd like and it sometimes controls him."

"Ravus," He bellowed, glaring toward the kitchen. "Your twin's on his way out of this life if you don't get in here and bring him back."

"Good ridence to him," Ravus snarled, leaning heavily in the doorway. He glanced at Liz, a cruel light glinting into his eyes, but a look from Serpentes detered him.

Liz nodded, not disguising her incredulity. Serpentes spoke of the situation as if Draven wasn't even human.

Well, I suppose he isn't, but still... she thought, watching the scene

Seeing Ravus' arrival, she narrowed her eyes. "At least he's much less of an arse than you." she muttered under her breath.

Out of the darkness, the images came, swirling through his mind so fast that he couldn't even comprehend them. From them he caught the sound of a gun going off, three times to be exact and then he heard a woman's scream. He heard an infant's cry, an odd, echoing sound, like the cry of a spirit.

Draven shuttered. He'd never dealt with a vision this strong before.

Ravus snorted, glancing Liz with an amused expression, despite the harrowing darkness of his eyes. "I'll take that as a compliment, witch."

He leaned in the doorway a bit longer, studying his twin for a moment, than he walked calmly toward him and punched him full force across the face.

Liz held back a smirk, "Take it as you wish."

She watched the exchange between Dravus and Ravus with a bit of initial shock, but then realized, this is likely how he knocked him out of the vision. Ravus didn't seem capable of much else outside of injuring and insulting, as far as she knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back