OOC First Name
Ana
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Curly 11.5'' Sturdy Elm Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Celia didn't believe in counting her chickens before they hatched, but it was May, and unless something went terribly wrong, she would almost assuredly be spending the next four years of her life at Columbia. It was oddly terrifying to be so close to something she'd spent nearly half her life wanting, and even though she had definitely been strutting around the castle this semester with a rather smug air about her, Celia had refrained from telling most people about her acceptance for fear that she would somehow jinx it. There was one person who absolutely deserved to know, however, and it was Professor Corrins.

Celia knew she had earned her admission through her own hard work. She also knew that the process would've been infinitely more difficult without Professor Corrins' help. There was the recommendation letter, of course, but the professor had supported her in myriad other ways as well. She had given Celia countless hours of extra tutoring, bought stacks of books to supplement her learning, and opened up her office as a quiet place to study. She had charmed mannequins for her Quidditch practices, taught her spells for the dueling tournament, and given her inside information about the school that had informed her Monthly columns. She had listened to Celia — really listened to her — and talked freely about her own life without ever prying into Celia's. And of course, she had poured many, many cups of tea.

Kindness was a rarity in Celia's life, and she knew she would never be able to reciprocate Professor Corrins' generosity to the same degree. But she could at least acknowledge it. She had picked out a gift for the professor a while back, and it had finally arrived by owl a couple days ago. After wrapping it in pretty paper, Celia had tucked it into a gift bag, which she carried now in one hand. With the other, she knocked on Professor Corrins' office door for quite possibly the last time.

Mallory was having a quiet, calm afternoon. She was in her pajamas, a soft set in pink, her hair in a thick braid over her shoulder. She had her tea floating next to her, a nice chamomile with a bit of honey. She was reading a romance novel, smiling softly as the couple in the book was finally getting together, confessing their love. It was a nice one, set in a winter christmas. She had just taken another sip of her tea when she heard the knock on the door. Surprised, she shut her book and set it in her lap. "Come in," She called, turning slightly so she could see the door from where she was sprawled out on the couch.

Celia pushed open the door. "Hi Professor—" she started before stopping abruptly when she realized that Professor Corrins was sprawled out on a sofa, wearing what looked like a pair of pajamas. Still holding the gift bag, she glanced between the woman and the teacup floating next to her. "Sorry, are you sick?" That was the only possible explanation Celia could come up as to why someone would be wearing pajamas in the middle of the afternoon. "I can come back another time?" she offered, already taking a step back just in case Professor Corrins was contagious.

Mallory chuckled and sat up, shaking her head. "Oh, no, no, I'm perfectly fine." She promised. "I was just having a bit of a lie in today." She waved her hand, her pajamas being replaced with a comfy but more guest appropriate outfit. She moved over to her desk, taking a seat- her tea following her over, and gave Celia an easy smile. "Come in, come in. Tea?" She offered, summoning over her favorite kettle.

Celia nodded, glad to hear Professor Corrins wasn't sick. She blinked when the woman suddenly transfigured her outfit and made a mental note to practice the spell herself sometime. It would make trying on different outfits a lot faster. Celia followed Professor Corrins over to her desk and took a seat, setting the gift bag next to her chair. "Yes, please," she said, smiling at the offer of tea.

As Professor Corrins poured her a cup of tea, Celia glanced around the office. There wasn't much about Hogwarts Celia would miss when she graduated, but she thought her memories of her time in Professor Corrins' office would be rosier than most. It was the place where she felt like she could be most honest about her ambitions, where she knew she could talk to someone who wouldn't automatically judge her, would encourage her even. She accepted the cup of tea with a grateful smile but refrained from taking a sip just yet. "I won't keep you long," she promised since Professor Corrins seemed to have been enjoying a quiet afternoon when she'd knocked. "I just had some news to share. Do you remember how you wrote me a rec for my college applications? Well, I got into Columbia. I'm going there next year." Celia tried to deliver the news nonchalantly, but she was unable to stop the smile that crossed her lips.

Mallory waved her hand lightly. "Oh, posh, you can stay as long as you like," She reassured, fixing Celia's tea just how she liked it and setting it down on the table for her, summoning over a tin of cookies. She smiled as Celia started talking again, before absolutely lighting up at the news. "Oh my gosh, Celia!" She clapped her hands together. "That's wonderful! Congratulations!" She gushed, offering out her hands. "You'll have to write to me, tell me all about it," She gave her an easy smile.

Celia beamed as she saw her own joy reflected across Professor Corrins' face. "Thank you! It's still hard to believe sometimes," she said in an attempt at modesty, though she was also telling the truth. Celia knew that no matter how well qualified she was, when it came to college admissions at that level, there was always an element of luck involved. Part of her was afraid she'd somehow pay for it massively in the future, that she'd used up a lifetime of luck on this one achievement, but that was something she could worry about later.

"Of course," Celia said easily, though she privately had her doubts as to how well she'd be able to keep that promise. She wasn't sure how one received (or sent) an owl in a dorm in the middle of New York City, but that was another thing to worry about later. She took a sip of her tea before setting her cup down and grabbing the gift bag. "I wanted to thank you for writing that rec for me. And for all the extra tutoring and help you've given me. I know you've given up a lot of your own time, and I appreciate it," she said, just a touch stiltedly. To say that Celia was unused to being genuinely effusive would be an understatement, but she could make an effort. "Here, for you," she said, holding out the gift bag. Inside was a sachet of Professor Corrins' favorite tea, as well as an elegant tea sampler box containing an assortment of different blends.

Mallory pressed a hand to her heart, unable to keep from smiling widely. "Oh, Celia!" She gushed, taking the gift. "You didn't have to- oh, goodness, thank you so much!" She was fawning over it before she'd even opened it, her eyes misting with tears. She smiled impossibly wider as she saw what was in the bag. She looked up, her heart feeling so warm she thought it might be burning in her chest, ready to catch fire. "Sweetheart, would it be out of line to ask for a hug?" She spoke, voice gentle.

Celia was a little surprised to see Professor Corrins' eyes grow wet. She hadn't really expected such an emotional reaction, but she supposed Professor Corrins was more used to getting anonymous complaints than gifts from her students. At least she seemed to like the present. "Think of it as repayment for all the tea I've had here," Celia joked. She knew she'd come nowhere close, but that was beside the point. Professor Corrins' request wasn't a surprise, not after her initial reaction. Celia wasn't much for physical touch — the last seven years had turned her cold — but she didn't mind agreeing to this. She nodded and stood to give Professor Corrins a hug.

no

-godmod approved-

Mallory got up, pulling Celia into a tight hug. She rubbed her back for a moment before stepping away, a fond smile still on her face. "It really has been a pleasure, Celia. It's going to be quiet without you around," She admitted, moving to sit back down. "But tell me, are you excited to go?" She asked, a warm smile still on her face. "Will you be living on campus?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back