OOC First Name
Mia
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Ngawaiata
Niamh stepped into the arts club. It was a rainy Saturday just that mo monotonous grey level of rain between being fun to play out in and being exciting to watch. She had the intention of playing but as she entered she headed towards the painting art section. For once it was empty. A couple of half completed canvases sat in stands and paints lined the shelves on the walls. Looking at the pictures she got a general idea of what they were showing like a half complete melody, like music without lyrics or main track. Which made her think what would happen if she went the other way. Instead of using the world around her to inspire her inner music. What if she tried to put the music down on paper.
she took a large Blank piece of paper and some paints. Deciding to go with just standard kids water paint she then set up the music player her paintbrush poised as the first notes began to play. As she begone adding coloures to the world. Not drawing anything particular but focusing on each layer of the song.

Renata was anxious. The idea that they would be doing a sort of arts show for the arts club to show off their talents was a wonderful idea, and Renata was really looking forward to seeing what kinds of things everyone else in the club would put up, as there were lots of creative and clever people. Of course, there was one big problem with that - she had no talents. How could she possibly even consider herself a real member of the arts club if there wasn't actually anything she could do? She liked music, but her singing was only passable on a good day, and her percussion playing was amateur at best. She liked dancing, although that was also very amateurish, self-taught and with no style or technique. She couldn't really draw - stick figures were about the best she could manage. She'd never learned to paint, or sew, or sculpt or anything like that, but suspected the idea of being able to present something adequate in any of those skills on such short notice was laughable. She'd always known she was more of a supporter than a creator, but she still felt a little bad about it, like she was taking up valuable space in a club where she didn't really belong.

Trying to push that anxiety down, she walked into the club room (the rain not helping her emotional state) and stopped, pausing as she saw Sky, her dormmate, painting along to some music. She didn't really want to interrupt the creative process, but was very curious to know what she was doing and how she was doing it, and casually approached, sitting down nearby and looking carefully at the canvas. It was very interesting. She didn't quite understand the creative process behind it, but somehow the paint seemed to fit the music. "Wow," she muttered, a little louder than she'd intended. Renata quickly put a hand to her mouth, hoping she hadn't bothered Sky too much.

some yellow here. and a bit of pink there. and what was that. it felt spikey. bits of white splashed here and there. the overall shape was forming. but it was more the idea forming out of light and shadow rather than the lines of the features. It was kind of a fun way to work.
she tried to focus on what she was hearing not what she was doing. until a noise that wasn't part of the music added an orange line twirling across the canvas followed by a shot of light blue up one side. it was then she realised what the noises were the door and a wow. she looked around the world of reality reforming around her. and there was Renata. "Oh hi renata." she said slightly flustered at being found. not that she was hiding and not like this was her place, not at all. "Sorry I didn't realise anyone else was here" she said as she brushed some stray hair out other face and which left a smudge of paint in its place.

Renata felt a little guilty at disturbing her friend, not meaning to have been nosy or break her concentration or anything. She had simply been on the hunt for some inspiration, and had been drawn in by Sky's art. "No, no, I'm sorry," she muttered. "I didn't mean to disturb you, I was just coming to the arts room and saw you painting," she blathered, although that was likely pretty obvious that that had been what had happened. "It's really impressive," she added, quickly changing to look back at the painting. She didn't really have much of an understanding of art, but there was a unique vision to it, that much was clear. Renata wondered how she came up with it, as it was certainly abstract. But that wasn't a bad thing, by any means. It was unique, and interesting, which made perfect sense considering who the artist was.

Sky shook her head slightly as Renata apologised for disturbing her. "that is okay. I was just having a bit of a play experimenting with some paint" she said pressing pause on the music. she stood back and looked at the picture it was the opposite of what she usually did. she could feel the mood of the picture. she smiled as Renata said her picture was impressive. "umm thank you" she said. she knew it was more abstract than a lot of painters in the club did. but she hoped it was at least somewhat pleasing to the eye. she then had a thought. "Do you want to join me. I am painting the music" she said. gesturing to the music player that was sitting next to her. and reaching to get a couple of fresh pieces of parchment.

Renata hesitated a little when Sky offered for her to join in. She had come down to the arts room to try and get some inspiration, after all, but she didn't think she had any aptitude for art. Nor did she have the vision to do something abstract and interesting. Her mind was not nearly as creative. 'You will find something,' her mother had stated, almost despairingly. But Rosa was beautiful, and strong, and had an incredible singing voice, and Renata was just...Renata. "I can't even paint a tree," she admitted, a little embarrassed. "I can try, but um, I don't think I can make it come together, and it might just be a waste of paint if I do..."

Sky was looking forward to having he friend with her as she painted. She liked Renata. she was always nice to be around. less intense than molly was. she smiled as Renata said that she couldn't paint a tree. "It is a good job that we are not painting trees" she said putting the paints in between them and picking up a brush "It is painting. and abstract art at that. it doesn't have to come together." she said. "So I was listening to a song and painting what I saw. what song do you want to listen to?" she said letting Renata pick the song.

Renata supposed that was fair enough, abstract art was quite different from painting what you saw, or trying to paint realistic images. Still, she was a little anxious about it nonetheless. Paint probably wasn't cheap, and she didn't exactly have the money to replace anything she wasted. She wasn't ridiculously clumsy, though she did make mistakes and slipups when she got nervous. "Um. Are you sure?" Renata asked, softly. She tentatively picked up a paintbrush, feeling the weight in her hand, picking a song almost at random. And then being picky. She settled on something old, that she could get wrapped up in, Teardrop by Massive Attack, something her mother and her nonno both liked. Even if the vocals would make her quietly jealous and/or sorry for herself. She hesitated with the brush, really not sure of where to begin.

Niamh smiled as Renata seemed to be nervous around the paints. "I'm sure. It would be fun to paint with a friend, this isn't anything you can get wrong. and even if it is terrible it is still valid modern art." she said
she made her way to the music player and it took her a while to find the song. she let it start for a few seconds "ooh magenta nice. Is this the right song?" she said. reaching for the pinks and reds. she vaguely recognised the song but wouldn't have been able to name it if asked she started to paint the image the music created.starting by mixing the paint then applying the magenta before she would add theflecks of other colours.

Renata couldn't help but give a soft giggle at that. Modern art certainly could be a bit more loose in its interpretation than the classics. Sometimes it really didn't seem to make sense, or have meaning. There was a lot that did, although Renata couldn't claim to be a great critic of or understanding of art. She watched what Sky was doing with intrigue, impressed at how she was just able to start putting something together, knowing what colours to use and even if it wasn't a clear picture, there was an intent and a world view behind it. In contrast, Renata just kind of awkwardly painted some orange lines, some squiggly, some kind of curved, mostly tentatively put on one part of the parchment. She hummed along with the song, hopefully not too loudly for fear of being criticized for sounding terrible. She did spend most of the time watching what Sky was doing, though, wanting to get more of an understanding.

as the music played sky was lost in it. she was just the vheacle getting the colours and transposing them onto the paper. the song finished but for a few minutes it continued to echo through her head and she didn't even realiseshe just kept going getting the texture right. she stopped when the echo of the song had faded enough for her to loose sight of it. she turned around and saw Renata looking at her with the most confusing and confused expression on her face. 'sorry I was in the mood. how did you find that?" she asked looking at the orange lines on Renatas page. " yours looks cool, it is interesting how differently we see the song" she said looking back at hers and wincing there were a few places that didn't fit right. but it was interesting how close she had got.

Renata was impressed at how invested Sky was, how much she seemed to get out of the song. Maybe Renata wasn't listening closely enough, or just didn't have the artistic vision, or something like that. She felt that sinking feeling in her stomach again, like she was a fraud, or she didn't belong, or she was taking up valuable space that belonged to someone else. She swallowed, nervously, trying to push it down. "I'm not sure I saw it right," she admitted, softly. She wanted the feeling to go away, to stop clawing at her chest and telling her that she wasn't good enough, but it kept fighting its way up. It was something she was supposed to have accepted, wasn't it? "I just don't have very much artistic sense," she added, laughing it off. It really was more of just some scribbles to move her hand, probably wasting valuable paint resources. "But yours...wow. You really have a clear vision."

sky looked from the picture to her friend and realised that she didn't look happy with her work. "no you saw it right. i was probably the one who didn't, I have always been told that I see things differently" she said shrugging. she didn't know how other people saw things but her world was filled with colour and music. "no your art is good. and there is no good or bad art. everyone has opinions and what may look good to me may not for someone else" she said.
as renata complimented her one she felt herself blusing. renata complimenting her work. "Thank you. it is not right. but it is close." she said looking away from her friend at the floor going that the blush would fade before she saw. "do you want to try again? or do something else she asked spending time with renata would be more fun than painting on her own. and she could come back to the songs later if she needed to finish the pictures off.

Renata shook her head. Even if Sky saw things differently to others, it was still creative and interesting. Refreshing, even. She looked down at her hands for a moment, giving an awkward smile. "Everyone at home always says it's a shame I didn't get any of mama's - er, my mother's, talents." She shrugged, looking back up at the ceiling as though it was the most interesting thing in the world. It hurt a bit to think about sometimes, but sometimes it just feel comforting, like nobody expected anything of her because she was never going to be brilliant. It would have been nice, but not everyone was meant to be amazing. She stretched her arms in front of her, idly stretching out her fingers. "I think I'm better off just watching and trying to encourage everyone else." Renata blinked a few times, before looking back over at Sky, who seemed to be looking away. "So if you want to keep working on it until you're happy with it, I can at least hopefully give you a morale boost." She was at least relieved the ugly feeling in her chest wasn't jealousy, not really. She knew she probably couldn't paint like Sky could, but that was what made her art impressive, that it was unique.

Niamh looked at renata as she spoke she seemed disappointed in herself. admitting that she was ashamed that she hadnt inherited her mums tallents . "But Renata. you are tellented. and you are kind, and friendly, and very pretty. and I, I am glad you transferred here this year." she said.
She looked over at her friend and saw that her eyes seemed damp. if life is a story you are a main character not just a supposing role for others. she said Emphisisinf the works you because it was renata specifically who should be a main character. She shook her head at renata suggestion was for her to keep painting. no. It will take me a while to get it right if I ever can. And we should do something you enjoy too. Do you want to see if there is anything in the kitchen area either t bake or eat” she said.

Renata felt herself blush a little at the compliment. Nobody aside from her parents had ever called her pretty before. And she was glad that she was coming across as friendly. It was easy to do with the Hufflepuffs all being so nice and welcoming, anyway. "I'm glad I came here too," she admitted, turning back to Sky with a smile. "Everyone I've met is really nice. You, Molly, Eugene, Jordie. I...Durmstrang was not a nice school," she added, looking down again for a moment. "I, um, got kind of bullied. A lot. Mama was going to go back to Italy and I wanted her to take me with her so I could maybe go to Beauxbatons, but...well, it's a long and boring story, but here I am." She still felt a little anxious about telling that to anybody, though she hadn't had much of a reaction to the Durmstrang part as yet. She hoped nobody thought like she was a dark witch or anything. After all, she was an appalling duellist. And Sky was really nice and a good friend, surely she wouldn't think less of her. "Food sounds good. I'd, ah, be betraying my nonna if I ever said no to eating," she added as a joke, a smile crossing her face once more. "And I'm sure you will get it right eventually. You're super creative and talented."

Sky saw renata blush and wondered if she had said too much. She hadnt meant to and didn’t know he she would explain it to her froend. yes especially in Hufflepuff.so if you want nice people you were sorted into the right hoise she said. I almost went to dermatrang. But my dad got a new job here when I was nine. He moved over and we came a year later for me to start school. Which sounds like it was a good thing she said.
as renata explained that she had been bullied quite badly at her last school she reached for her and gave her a hug. oh reni. I’m sorry. I wish I had been there. We could have been friends. And you probably would have been bullied less she said. If it was the kind of school when renata was the type to get bullied. She certainly was. And probably more so as she was more, well more unusual, than her friend.
she headed towards the kitchen area. As renata said that food was good there is a bake off in a couple of weeks. Did you want to do it together? She asked.

Renata was surprised by Sky's admission. She'd only gone to Durmstrang out of her family's rather pathetic desire to become a notable family. But they weren't pureblood, and had a tendency to fall for people who wouldn't push them towards any sort of standing. She couldn't really imagine Sky there, it didn't seem like the right place for her at all. "Fur coats are so unflattering, too," she joked. "We would have both looked good in Beauxbatons blue, I think." Though she was really glad she'd gone to Hogwarts instead. It suited them both better. Neither of them were glamourous, but that wasn't a bad thing at all. "I'm glad we're both here."
She nodded at the question about the bakeoff, a little surprised about it. "Oh really? That sounds fun!" Renata had no idea what a bake off really was but it at least sounded like they'd have to bake things, which was fun. "Nonno doesn't bake a lot of things except bread, but I have been trying to learn to make cakes."

Sky saw that renata seemed a little confused it is the closest school to where we were in Norway and tends to service the Nordic and Baltic regions she said. As if it was that simple. She chuckled as she said that for coats are unflattering some times a fur trim is nice. Warm and cozy she said though by fir she meant fake fir. She didn’t like the idea of animals being killed for her clothes but she had some nice winter coats at home with fir around the hood. Her mind pictured both of them in beaubatton blue robes and smiled. you would look good in anything. But I think the blue might be a little cool for your skin tone. And beaux always seems so prim and proper she said. She would probably look like an ice queen in the baby blue.
she she was glad that renata liked the idea of a bake off. And that she would be her partner yes for sure. Ooh what kind of cakes did you and your nono make? I always used to enjoy visiting my beste because we would often bake cakes or biscuits or buns or pastries. she said remembering the smiling as she remembered the cinnamon and ringer and yeast and sugar and almond smell of her house. So warm and soft especially as you stepped in from the cold and dark outside.

Renata gave a nod of understanding. That made sense - Sky's accent was pretty distinct. Maybe it was just because she'd had such a negative view of Durmstrang, she thought Sky might have gone to Beauxbatons or Koldovstoretz, or even Hogwarts in Scotland. But the people from Durmstrang weren't all bad. Lexi was fine, if a bit arrogant at times. Her father was kind enough. She just had been soured by bad experiences and her uncles and grandfather, mostly. "Hmm, that makes sense. I think black and yellow makes me look like a bee but that's not the worst thing," she joked, giving a shrug. Sky would have looked very striking in a Beauxbatons uniform, she thought, but now she thought about it she could picture her in a Durmstrang coat. If anything, the Hogwarts uniform probably looked the least glamourous on her but Renata wouldn't want her to be anywhere else because she was a real friend.

"I bet that smelled amazing," Renata said, fondly, picturing it in her mind as best she could. It sounded like a good way to spend a visit to family. "He usually just makes bread. Though he made biscotti from scratch and it was really good with coffee." Coffee was mostly too bitter for Renata and she was desperate to try and be grown-up enough to like the taste, but the sugary crispness of the biscotti helped a lot. And a lot of milk. They made a lot more savoury meals at home but the sweets were always good when they had them. "I don't remember how to make it, though. They don't like to share recipes for some reason."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back