Celestyn Helkovaara

NYC based journalist

Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Celestyn had never experienced this with Charlie, the build up to a baby. He had just one day not had a son and the next had one. There had been lots to prepare, but there had been little build up. Nine months was a long time. He had never realized both how long and short it was until, he was watching Cassi grow with, his second child. There had been quite a gap between their kids, but he didn't mind and hoped that Charlie wouldn't mind either. The man had been struggling to encourage Cassi to take it easy. She was a confident and capable woman, and he just wanted to help her out, stop her from overdoing things. He knew that she got tired, and that it wasn't easy. He was preparing dinner, making it something nutritious and tasty, he knew that Cassi was due back soon and was hopeful that she wouldn't be longer than it would take him to finish this dinner.

Cassi had never been one for sitting still. She just had a little more extra weight to carry around. She just wasn't on her own this time. Celestyn tended to fuss over her more than she'd expected. And Charlie was always fussing over her as well, seeming to be rather excited for a sibling. She'd been out shopping, picking up a few groceries. She came back into the flat, a little out of breath and big brown bags filling both arms. "Could use a hand this time," She called, shuffling into the apartment. "God, why does my magic have to act up when I'm pregnant." She complained.

Celestyn heard Cassi come back into the house and he could hear how she was struggling, but he knew she'd refute him if he was tying too hard to help her, and he knew most of the time she could manage just fine without him. But he heard her asking for the help and he went immediately to do so. He used his magic to help take the groceries. "Probably because you aren't able to concentrate as much," he said, given how soon this baby was coming it made sense. That she just had other things on her mind. "Come on, let me get you some tea, and you can sit down," he encouraged.

Cassi let out a sigh of relief as the groceries were taken away, turning to give Celestyn a warm smile. "Normally I'd tell you to stop fussing, but I think I'll allow it this time." She teased him, before starting to waddle towards the living room. "I'm thinking of taking a bit of bed rest until the baby is here," She offered, one hand on her back and the other on her stomach. "I forgot how tiring it is growing a little human." She complained, falling down onto the couch with a sigh. "Extra honey in that tea, please," She called out to him, hoping he wasn't done already.

Celestyn was glad she was allowing him to fuss over her. He just wanted her to be comfortable and able to rest a little. "That's not a bad idea, you're about to have this baby," he said, gently reminding her about that. He was glad that she sat down and then went to make her some tea, knowing that this would be a good thing to help her relax. He got it done in now time, adding a good amount of extra honey to tea and then bringing it out to her. "How was your day?" he asked handing it to her, as the groceries she'd bought tidied themselves away.

Cassi had no sooner settled than she felt the wetness against her skin and another cramp started to squeeze her. Her skin paled as it hit her what was happening. She looked up as Celestyn came back with wide eyes, hands on her belly. "You were right, I'm about to have a baby," She tried to sound casual. "Like- now. Right now." She tried to shift herself, struggling to get up off of the couch. "Come on, hot shot," She managed shakily, wincing as a cramp- no, a contraction- as a contraction hit her.

Celestyn had glanced away from Cassi for a second before he looked back at her. He noticed the wetness and then what she was saying and it took a moment to really register what she was saying. "OH," he said. He cast a quick spell to summon their go back which was ready to go. He held out his hand to her to help her out. "Let's go," he said. Knowing he'd need to send a note to Charlie as soon as he hand a moment to let him know this was coming.

Cassi smirked, enjoying the look of shock on his face. She took his hand, letting him help her onto her feet. She took a deep breath, hand over her stomach. "Apparently baby has a good sense of dramatic timing," She offered, leaning her head against his shoulder and trying to focus on her breathing.

They got to the hospital, and unfortunately the birth turned into an even bigger ordeal than she'd been expecting. The birth took her hours, and time seemed to lose meaning. She was trying to stay focused, stay present. As she heard the doctor talk about how they were almost there, how it would be soon, she grasped tightly at the bed rails. "Get Celestyn," She tried to order, panting and covered in sweat. "He has to be here, please," She pleaded, trying to breath.

It wasn't long before she felt his hand over hers, and before she knew it she'd given birth to their second son. She collapsed back into the bed, absolutely exhausted. She yawned, struggling to keep her eyes open.

Celestyn had not been around for Charlie's birth, so he had no idea what this would be like, if it would be quick or long. He was finding out that it could be very long, but he had been in and out with Cassi, for sections that he was allowed to be and then not for others. It had been a while since he'd been allowed in and Celestyn was concerned, very concerned. He just didn't want to start freaking out. It did help that Charlie was there and he was able to lean a little on his first born, while awaiting the second. He was brought back in, a frantic nurse dragging him to Cassi's side who apparently was close. He took her hand immediately, and went to stroke hair from her face. "I'm here, honey. You've got this," he assured her softly.

Cassi relaxed for half a second when Celestyn came in, gripping his hand tightly. She'd done this on her own once already, she didn't want to do it again. She leaned into his touch, struggling to catch her breath. "You're getting fixed after this," She groaned, before the doctor had her start pushing again. She was a mess, whimpering and crying as she gave birth.

It wasn't too much longer, however, before the first cries of her youngest baby filled the room. She collapsed back against the bed, gasping. It's a very healthy baby boy, The doctor announced. She smiled shakily, and after a few moments the little boy was placed against her chest. She brought a hand up, exhausted, and placed it against his back. "Oh, hello Caspian," She murmured, turning her head. "Celestyn?" She asked, barely keeping her eyes open.

Celestyn would agree that after this it was going to be definitely the last kid they had, there was absolutely no need for any more of them. Celestyn couldn't believe how quickly it then was. The baby was out and crying. He moved in good and close to look at him and smiled so fondly. He was tiny, a tiny little baby boy. "I'm here sweetheart," he assured his wife, kissing her head and leaning in. "He's perfect, you did so good," he praised, watching their new born son taking his first breaths.

Cassi gave a breathless laugh. "Go ahead, take him," She encouraged with a yawn. "And bring Charlie in soon, he should meet Caspian," She brought a hand up, feeling the air with her eyes closed with the intent of touching Celestyn's face. "Get a picture or something, I'm not going to remember this bit," She yawned, the exhaustion quickly setting in. "Do you think I can get a nap?" She murmured, already half asleep.

Celestyn took the little baby, little Caspian, a beautiful boy. He remembered how Charlie had been when he was this tiny. Celestyn leaned down, letting her touch his face even as she struggled. "I think you can," he told her with a gentle smile. "When you wake up, I'll bring Charlie in," he assured her, "But he knows things are okay," he added. He had told him about the baby being born though not about anything else. Promising that when the moment was right and she felt up to it, he would bring him in.

Cassi yawned, and shook her head. "No," She protested, shifting a bit to be more comfortable. "Go to him," She tried to shoo Celestyn away, unsure if she'd managed it. "He should meet him..." She slipped off to sleep as she was talking, unable for once to finish an argument with Celestyn.

Celestyn kissed Cassi's head and remained with her until she fell asleep. Only then did he get up from being at her side, and with Caspian held in his arm, he headed out of the room, and went to find Charlie who was just waiting. "Son?" he said softly, trying to spot him in the small amount of people still about the waiting room.

Charlie was nervous. He'd been protective over his mom while she was pregnant, and knowing she was in labor, and having read how awful that was, he was nervous. He was pacing in the waiting room. It had been a bit since his father had gone back, so he knew things were progressing. He was wringing his hands as he walked to and fro across the floor, staring at the ground as he chewed on his lip. Did these things always take so long? He was startled when he heard his dad call him. He jumped, spinning quickly and hurrying over. "Dad!" He called, stopping short as he saw the bundle in his dads arms. "Oh my god... is that...?" His wide eyes jumped back and forth between his father and the baby.

Celestyn smiled at his oldest son, feeling strange when he thought of that sentiment. That one of his children was now his eldest as he held his youngest. "It is," he held the baby up a little though careful of his head. "Caspian, this is your older brother, Charlie," he said, speaking softly. "And this Charlie is your younger brother, Caspian," Celestyn introduced, before moving to offer Charlie to hold his young brother.

Charlie accepted his little brother, holding him carefully and smiling shyly, looking down at him with wonder. "Dang, dad, he's so small," He murmured. He looked up to his dad. "How is mom?" He asked, bouncing the newborn gently in his arms. "Is everything good?"

Celestyn gave a fond laugh, "You were once this small, if you'd believe it," he said. Reaching up and ruffling his son's hair, his eldest son. He didn't want Charlie to feel like this changed anything between them. "She'll be okay, she needs to rest and a little extra care but it'll be okay," he didn't want to worry Charlie and though it had been a rough birth, she was still going to be okay.

Charlie smiled a little impishly as his dad ruffled his hair. "Daa-aaad," He complained, but there was no heat in his voice. He moved over to a seat, and very carefully sat down. "So it's Caspian, right?" He asked, studying the tiny face of the baby as he slept. "Where'd you guys come up with that? Just sticking to the C names, huh?" He asked, giving his dad an easy smile.

Celestyn smiled fondly at his eldest son, and watched him with the youngest. "Caspian," he said with a smile, he shrugged. "Well, seems wrong to break with tradition now," he spoke with a soft and fond voice. "You were this small once. The first time I held you in my arms, I just, I had never felt love like it." he said, thinking fondly of when Charlie at a few days old had arrived at his home. He looked at his eldest's face, looking at the lines of it, as if still seeing how he had once looked. "It was scary, but I knew, there wasn't anything I wouldn't do to protect you, to keep you safe,"

Charlie blushed as his dad continued on, and just chuckled. "Dad, you're getting sappy in your old age," He countered. "Though I'm glad you kept me. Life would've sucked without you around," He offered, trying to be sappy a bit back. "So, are two boys it for you? Or do you think you and mom will keep going, try for a girl?" He asked, curious if he could expect a little sister.

Celestyn smiled easily at his son, not minding being a little sappy. "There was never a question in my mind," he assured him. "You're my son, I would've done anything I needed to to keep you," Celestyn knew his life would've been a whole lot worse without his son in it. "I think two boys will be enough, but that's probably a conversation your mum and I need to have once she's got her strength back," Celestyn was honest with Charlie and smiling as he spoke. A little girl would be nice, but it would be their luck to end up with only boys.

Charlie just laughed, shaking his head and keeping Caspian in close. "You're hopeless, old man," He teased. "So, Caspian. Think things will be much different this time around?" He asked. "I mean, moms around this time so thats a change, and of course you've got me. What do you think?" He looked up to his dad, curious what the answer might be.

Celestyn gave a little shrug, before he considered the question. "It'll probably be a bit easier, with you, it was just me," he said with a smile, there was no regret or frustration in his tone over the fact it had just been him. Being a single dad had posed a number of issues. "The lack of support I had initially made things difficult, so that'll just be easier this time, because I have Cassi, and I have you. But Charlie, as much as it'll help for you to pitch in with Caspian, you never need to. You know? You're still essentially a kid and Caspian is your brother, not your responsibility,"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back