The Meeting (continued from Vader Complex)

Cocytus Lachance

OOC First Name
Thom
Wand
Rosewood, Essence of basilisk venom 12"
Cocytus found himself in a graveyard. It was early day here in England.

He looked around trying to regain his bearings. The pain hit him all at once like a sledgehammer the size of a small child. He fell to the ground clutching at his arm and sides. He hissed in pain and tried to regain himself. Graveyard, early day. That meant he was far west of Zealand, or East one of the two, he was almost on the other side of the planet, it didn't matter.

Ropes, old. VERY old... Around a statue. Odd.

Culdron, tipped on it's side. Odder.

He forced his mind to snap back from the rage and pain. He regained control.

He took a deep breath, the pain becoming more bareable. Cocytus had returned to form.

"Damn." he said simply. He backhanded the sweat from his brow and tried to force more feeling to return to his arm. He started regretting it as pain came with feeling. He let out a mirthless chuckle. His son hated him did he?

Good.

Hate was something the Auror's didn't do well enough. Death Eaters, on the other hand, excelled at it. Hate was a step in the right direction.

He looked up.

"Shadow. I know your here." He said, his voice level and smooth again.

"Of course." Shadow replied from behind Cocytus, staring at the cauldron. "Do you recognize it?"

Cocytus turned. He closed his eyes for a moment.

"He's going to kill the Boy Who Lived!"
"What's happening?"
"Look at the spells!"
"How can he DO that? He's a child!"

He opened his eyes. "It's hard to recognize it in the light," he began, "But yes... This is where Lord Voldemort rose for the first time." he said. He pointed to one of the gravestones. "I was standing there when the Boy escaped." He turned back to Shadow, a grin on his face. "Though I did not see you, Shadow... But I suppose you know how that would be an easy thing to do."

"If I could be seen when I didn't wish to, the Dark Lord would have little use for me." replied Shadow calmly, turning to look at the bindings that once held the Boy Who Lived. "Now, what was the purpose of our meeting, other than to free you from that touching family reunion?"

Cocytus chuckled his mirthless chuckle.

"Oh that was simply a matter of good timing, not at all part of the plan." he said. He looked at Shadow. "I don't know if you remember that night." he said simply.

"It was a long time ago." Shadow replied tonelessly, not looking away from the grave. "But one worthy of rememberance."

Cocytus' grin widened.

"I believe Shadow was there," he said, "Don't get me wrong..." He leaned on a tombstone. "I just don't believe you were."

"And how might you go about resolving this paradox?" replied Shadow, turning to face Cocytus.

"It's simple." he said flatly. "You are not the first Shadow." he held up a hand before Shadow had a chance to reply.

"The Shadow I met was taller, not by much mind you, but I have a keen memory of it. Your body language is also subtly different." he turned beginning to pace to the man's right. "But your voice... It is so similar, even if it is affected, the similarities are audible... So an heir to the throne, not any other man, but perhaps a son..." He turned to face him. "And before you threaten to kill me, no I do not know your true identity nor do I care."

A small chuckle escaped from the folds of Shadow's veil, a tiny display of emotion that was almost unnerving coming from him. "You're a clever man, Lachance. Even if you do not know my true identity, should you ever discover it, I think you worthy of the knowledge." Shadow began to circle slowly around Cocytus, keeping eye contact, or as far as would could presume of unseen eyes.

"You are correct. On all counts. I am not the first Shadow. I am his son." Stopping his encirclement, he sat down on the nearest tombstone. "My father held loyalty to the Dark Lord and the Dark Lord alone. Both times the he fell, my father saw no reason to remain a Death Eater. But when the Dark Lord returned, he saw every reason to do the same. Unfortunately, father died before he could see his master rise again.

As for myself, what use would awaiting the Dark Lord's return be if I let his kingdom crumble around me? And so... here we are."

Cocytus nodded to him.

"Here we are indeed." he said. "That was the first point of the meeting." he said. He gave an unnerving grin. "And the second... You saw on Bleak Street under the light of our Master's mark."

"I can think of at least half a dozen possible meanings behind that statement." Shadow replied, standing up straight. His voice was flat and businesslike once again, but a slight twinge of relief could be hinted at in his tone. He had nearly half a century's secrets on his shoulders, and some of the burden had just been lifted. "The fewer veiled statements are made, the faster I can have what you need."

Cocytus closed his eyes for the moment.

"I HATE YOU!!!"

"The Auror... My son, Damien." He said without emotion, "I need you to know more about him and about the woman he was with." He said. "If I am to break him, I must know what there is to break."

Shadow only nodded. "Is there anything else?"

"Is this all you have to say?" He asked. "As tacit as ever, Shadow."

"Obtaining their official records from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement will be easy. I could be back within the hour." Shadow responded after a moment's silence. "If you want their relationship investigated, I'll need to put them under surveillance, which will take more time."

He nodded.

"Very Well, Shadow." He said. "I will wait patiently." He smiled. "you saw me at my worst unfortunately... I am afraid my personality is slightly bi-polar. I am more often like this than I am screaming obscenities." He seemed to shudder a little. "The loss of control is the reason I lost my son in the first place."

"If you need anything else before I've completed my mission, return here and right that cauldron." Shadow replied, turning to leave. "In the meantime, you may want to take shelter for a while. The Ministry's dogs will be hot on your trail, seeing as how you've Marked it." With that he Apparated away, leaving Cocytus to his thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back