The McIlvoy Residence

Finn McIlvoy

Some time had passed and things had been relatively nice at the McIlvoy Residence. Kaela's da had sadly been at work during most of the days, and although her ma was there all day (she had summers off because she was a school teacher), she had been quiet and stayed out of Kaela's hair.

Finn, however, had been acting quite odd. He was quiet; he scowled a lot, and had been overall much less pleasant than normal. Kaela, although sad that Finn was not the same old Finn, had attributed his attitude to being a teenage boy of 15.

It was a bright and beautifully sunny morning. Kaela had slept in this morning, having been up late finishing a book the previous night. Her da was already on his way to work, her ma was finishing cooking breakfast, and Finn was already at the table working on some sausages.

"These are really good ma," Finn said mid-chew, swallowing before taking a big gulp of milk. His turned around to smile at him before going back to frying the potatoes.

Ford had woken up early that morning, he had fallen asleep early and was awake earlier as a result. He walked into the kitchen to see Finn and Kaela's ma. "Good morning Mrs. McIlvoy, Finn," he said and sat down at the table.

"Morning Ford," Kathleen said cheerily as she walked over and set a plate of potato hash on the table, which was already laden with sausages, bacon, eggs, and toast. "What would you like to drink?"

Finn gave Ford a dirty glance before reaching and picking up a piece of toast. He stuffed the toast in his mouth and went about piling potato hash on his plate as he chewed.

With a quick glance at Finn, Ford looked up to Mrs McIlvoy, "I'll have some milk." He took a bite of feast presented before him, "This is delicious, Mrs. McIlvoy."

Kathleen got a cup from the cabinet and filled it with milk. She walked over to the table and handed it to Ford with a smile. "Why thank you Ford. If you'll excuse me boys, I'm going to go see if Kaela is up yet." Kathleen left the kitchen and headed up the stairs.

Ford thanked Kaela's mom for the drink and ate quietly. He was extremely hungry, and inhaled the food. He looked up at Finn, but couldn't think of anything to say to him, so he continued to eat in silence.

Finn was scowling in Ford's direction as he ate his bacon. He was about to say something when he quickly turned away, picking up his glass and taking a big gulp of milk as his ma reentered the kitchen.

"Well, Kaela just woke up," Kathleen said as she took her seat at the table. She picked up her tea and took a sip before setting it back down. "Did you three have plans for today? I was kind of hoping to take Kaela out for some mother-daughter time. Do you two think you would be all right here by yourselves today?"

Ford nodded in reply to Mrs McIlvoy, "I think we will be fine," he said, making an effort to make his tone not his usual deadpan, so Kaela's mother would not take it wrongly.

Finn swallowed the food he had been chewing and drained the rest of his milk while Ford was speaking. With a sigh of refreshment he set down his glass and looked at his anxious mother. "Yeah ma, we'll be fine," he said with a forced smile. He was not about to let his disdain for this Ford character ruin his ma's happy day.

"Wonderful!" Kathleen said excitedly and stood. "I will go talk to Kaela. And while I'm gone you boys can decide what you will do." She walked happily upstairs to talk to her daughter.

Ford, genuinely interested in making a good impression upon Kaela's family, looked over to Finn. "So, Finn, what do you generally do in your spare time." His voice was shaky, a combination of nerves and the aforementioned desire getting to him.

Finn looked over at Ford with a skeptical look. He could sense that Ford was actually trying. "Sometimes I go horseback riding, but not a ton. I'm really into movies and reading. And I mean good movies mind you, not crappy movies that are made for the sole purpose of making money.

"What do wizards do in their spare time?" Not having talked to Ford yet Finn didn't really know anything about Ford's background.

Slightly surprised at Finn's response, Ford was caught off guard. "Well...uh...I like reading. Mostly older books like Tolkien or Lovecraft, or...uhm...books about magic, as I lived with my muggle mom." Ford paused for air, having spoken in somewhat of a rush. "I also like to play quidditch." He said, "Do you know about that?" He added quickly.

"You play qu-what? Kaela's never mentioned anything like that. Although," Finn did a quick glance around to make sure his ma wasn't listening and leaned a bit closer to Ford. "We don't usually talk too much about what Kaela does at school. At least not in front of Ma."

Finn sat back up and went back to his bacon, hearing someone coming down the stairs.

Kaela walked into the kitchen rubbing her eyes. Despite being fully dressed in jeans and a t-shirt she looked like she just rolled out of bed. She sat down beside Ford and looked at the food on the table with a frown. "Will you guys please tell Ma I ate? I'm not hungry and she's insisting that I eat."

Ford looked over to Kaela, "No problem, we could switch plates even," Ford suggested, gesturing to his own empty plate.

Kaela looked to Ford, a bit surprised by his offer. "Oh, all right then." With a weak smile she picked up her plate and held it out to Ford.

Ford smiled at her, "There you go," he said as he switched the plates, "Are you okay?" He inquired, making sure he wasn't missing something.

"Huh?" Kaela asked confusedly as she took Ford's plate and set it down in front of her. "Yeah, I'm just tired." With a sigh she poured herself some coffee and began adding cream and sugar to it.

Kathleen reentered the kitchen with a bright smile on her face. As she approached the table she looked down at Kaela's plate and was satisfied with what she had seen. "Good, you ate some. All ready then dear?"

"Yeah, I guess." Kaela drank a bit of her coffee before standing. "Please make my funeral a nice one," she said to Finn and Ford before getting a dirty look from her ma, who then dragged her out of the house.

"Bye Kaela, good bye Mrs McIlvoy," Ford said. Once they were gone, Ford looked back to Finn, "Why don't you talk about...magic...in front of your mom?" He asked, curious.

"It just...doesn't sit well with her, I guess you could say. Probably kills her that Kaela isn't in school now, or going to go to college. She's a teacher, and our da is a Professor. We all were really surprised when Kaela got her letter. So surprised, Ma though it was a joke of some sort. She wouldn't have let Kaela go if Kaela hadn't've begged so much. I think meeting Courtney helped though, reassured Ma that everything was all right at that school."

Finn looked to Ford and suddenly realized how much he was talking. He quickly looked away and began to pile potato hash on his plate and eat it.

Ford underwent the same revalation that Finn had at about the same time, so he returned to eating Kaela's food. He began pondering Finn's words, though. He had always wondered how a muggle family would have to adapt to having a wizard in the family.

After a few moments of silence, Ford spoke up, "What do you think of it? Kaela being a witch and all..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back