Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Demi (Alice)
Wand
10 1/2 Inch Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
If they were going by averages, Elliot really liked Lily’s family. Lily herself was amazing, and while Ren confused him a little sometimes, Elliot appreciated his laid back personality. Even her parents, who he had gotten to know a little over the break, had been great. Rose however, was another matter.
He knew she didn’t like him, and he knew that trying to change that might be a lost cause. Rose probably didn’t like any of Lily’s friends and he should just accept that. Except that Elliot really couldn’t. Rose’s animosity bothered him, and he didn’t have any plans to stop being friends with Lily any time soon, so he’d have to deal with it eventually. Fidgeting with his pen, Elliot scanned over the letter for about the fifth time. Rose wasn’t due at Hogwarts for another two years. That was almost two whole years he had to bring her around. And she couldn’t punch him through a letter.

Probably.

Dear Rose,

I know you're not my biggest fan, but I'm writing in hopes that I can change that. Lily is my best friend and I don't plan on changing that any time soon, so I was hoping we could learn to get along. For her sake.
You'll be at Hogwarts before we know it, and I really don't like the idea of my friends little sister hating me. 18 months is a long time though, I'm sure you can find something you like about me if we start now.
You don't have to respond to this letter, but I'd like it if you did. I really want us to get along, for Lily's sake. We both know she'd be thrilled if we got on even a little, so we should probably try, right?

Sincerely,

Elliot Briar

Rose sat in her room, idly strumming her guitar. They had just finished eating dinner. She glanced up as an owl appeared on her windowsill. Must be from Linny. She sat up eagerly and took the letter. Her brow furrowed as she began to read it. This was not a letter from her sister. She scoffed as she read it. Elliot was a moron, a naive little fool who Lily would be better off without. She wanted to burn his letter, but something he'd brought up stopped her. She grimaced. There was no way she would admit he was right. She moved to her desk and pulled out her notebook.

Briar.

What makes you think

Why would I ever

Lily doesn't

You're a

Forget it you

This doesn't mean I like you.

Rose

Rose's response had come as a surprise, her owl arriving just after Elliot had given up on actually hearing from her. The letter, while not the most promising response, was still a response. Though it was probably going to take more than some letters to convince Rose to bury the hatchet, Elliot figured he'd keep writing as long as she kept responding. He didn't mind a few one sided conversations. Plus, it was a lot easier to skate through a conversation with her when he didn't actually have to see her glaring daggers at him.

Dear Rose,

Thanks for writing back, I was so happy to get your letter. Though, if it makes you feel any better, I'm not sure the owl you used likes me much either. I got the distinct impression it would have been quite happy to peck my eyes out while I was trying to untie the letter.

I can't believe it's almost the school holidays already. Are you and Lily planning on doing anything over the break? I'll be in the US this time so you don't have to worry about me crashing your holidays this time, promise. Though if it snows down where you are in the winter I might have to come visit eventually, I bet it's beautiful.
All this talk of holidays though means I can't forget we have exams soon too. I think Lily's really worried about them. She worries a lot doesn't she? I can relate. We've been trying to study together a lot so I hope it helps her. Do you know anything that helps cheer her up? I think she could use a nice break before we both fry our brains and you're probably the expert when it comes to Lily calming-techniques.

Looking forward to your next letter,

Elliot

Rose had put off sending the last letter. But when Elliot's latest reply came back, she decided this one should be a bit more prompt. Not because of him, of course. She scoffed as she read over the letter. She'd be sure to use this owl every time then. Ignoring most of what he'd written, she pulled out her notebook and sent back a simpler response.

She worries about everything. Find her a book she hasn't read, a cup of hot cocoa with some whipped cream on top and a blanket. Drop her in front of a fire. Once the chocolate's gone she'll lay back. If you're sitting close enough play with her hair. It's a long process but it works.

Don't think telling you means I like you. Once I get there your services will no longer be needed.

Rose read over her letter. It didn't seem to mean. She didn't really want to tell him how to help Linny, but she wasn't there to do it herself. With a sigh, she stood. He'd probably be surprised to get such an early response. But Rose didn't like thinking Lily was worried.

With it being such a long distance from New York to Christchurch, Elliot hadn't been able to send any owls over the holiday break. Now that he was back in school, he decided to pick up his letter writing campaign again in earnest. He was running out of time before Rose was finally at Hogwarts and was still holding out that maybe they could be friends by that time. Though he most recent conversation with Ren made it feel like he might have more work to do that he thought. But that was fine, Elliot was patient.

Dear Rose,

It's a bit weird being back in New Zealand and back at school all of a sudden. It always feel like the holidays last forever and pass so quickly at the same time somehow. But it's good to see Lily and Ren again, though I guess things are a bit quiet for you now at home. Are we going to see you again at Brightstone maybe?Ren's in Gryffindor, as I'm sure you know. I think both Lily and him are pretty put out by that. I'm pretty sad too, it would have been nice to have Ren with us in Hufflepuff, but I suppose Gryffindor suits him. I've got a good friend in that house and she's a great person. Do you think I should ask her to keep an eye on him? I can't imagine he'd get into too much trouble but you know him a better than I do. I wonder what house you'll be in next year, do you think you have a preference?
I can't believe it's almost Halloween already too. How did the first few weeks pass so fast? Did you and Lily put together a costume again? I'm gonna need to figure something out quick I guess. Open to any suggestions if you've got them.
I've got to get to class now, but I'm sure it'll cheer you up to hear that I stepped in owl poop on the way up here, so enjoy that.

Sincerely,
Elliot

Last edited:
Rose would not admit that she'd been a little worried when Elliot didn't write to her over the holidays. She pondered over that more than once. Why should she even care he didn't pester her? She had the entire holiday with her siblings to herself. And she didn't have to look over her shoulder every day waiting for him to show up. She waited impatiently for him to finally get around to writing her back. She was tired of waiting and wanted to just get it out of the way. She wouldn't admit she was relieved when the letter finally did come in. She took the parchment and sat cross-legged on her bed. She pulled out her pen and paper and responded quickly.

Briar,

Not a chance. I need to enjoy the peace and quiet before I'm stuck with the lot of you. Ren's too lazy to get into any trouble. I'll be a Hufflepuff with Lily so we won't need your assistance once I'm in school. I sent her a crown because she's a queen. You can be a royal pain in the neck to match.

Elliot had been putting off writing Rose another letter for most of the semester, to worried about whether he should mention Lily's new crush or not. On one hand, he knew Rose would definitely want to know, but then again, Ren and Lily had both seemed so worried about her inevitable wrath if she found out. There was also the lurking fear that Lily had already told Rose, and maybe she would be mad at him for not saying anything. Ultimately, he'd decided it wasn't his secret to tell, if it was a secret at all, and surely Rose would appreciate him not going around sharing her sister's secrets with anyone, even her.

Dear Rose,

Wow, can't believe how fast the semester went this year, sorry for not writing for so long (though I'm sure you probably didn't miss it, I guess). Exams felt a little less stressful this year, I think. Still scary, just not as scary. I think Lily felt a little better about them too I hope. She's been feeding me in Astronomy, it's hard to stay focused when the class is that late and her muffins have been a life saver, I'm sure you'll be glad to have her and her baking back for the holidays. Speaking of, I don't think there'll be any more surprise visits from me this year, but I promise I'll warn you first this time so you enough time to plan my untimely death or something (but maybe the letters are helping you not want to do that? Please?). I was thinking I might try to bake something for Lily for Yule, since she always makes me stuff, but I don't know how to ask what she likes without being too obvious. Do you have any recipes you know she and Ren like? I promise to give you all appropriate credit.

Happy holidays,
Elliot

Rose was surprised to find herself growing agitated the longer it took Elliot to write her back. She cursed to herself as she lay on her bed. She didn't want to like Lily's friend. She had sworn never to trust any of Lily's friends again. It was getting harder to suspect the cinnamon roll though. She sighed, scrubbing her hands over her face. A hoo from her window caught her attention. She jumped up and hurried over, a small smile on her face. She read over his letter quickly and rolled her eyes. She moved to her desk and set to work.

Briar
Get over it already. I'm not going to kill you. You're Lily's cinnamon roll. I'll only end you if you hurt her. Of course she's feeding you. That girl isn't happy unless she's being helpful. It's how she reconciled herself with being so shy. She took that drawing class with Ren, and she sings my songs for me. You know she cares when she goes out of her way to do things for you. Not that you're special or anything. She does it for everyone.

Lily is really easy to please. As much as she bakes sweets, she likes crunchy things better. Or salty. If you want to make her something, try some salted peanut brittle. It's not really tricky, but I got a
recipe from mom for you anyway. Also, she said to tell you that you and your dad are invited over whenever. Apparently, our dads are friends or something and mom likes you.

I'll make you a deal Briar. You keep an eye on the Styx boy and I won't plot your demise over your next visit.

And keep me out of your plans. Lily will like it more if she thinks you did it all yourself. I haven't seen her in long enough I can be nice like that too, ya know.

This still doesn't mean I like you.

Elliot couldn't believe how fast the year had gone. Not only were they running out of time for exams, but Elliot was also distinctly aware that with the year nearly up, he didn't have long to soften Rose's opinion of him until she was at school with them. He'd been reassured by Ren that Rose wouldn't actually ever hurt him, but Elliot would still rather prefer to be on actual good terms with all the Lockwoods, even if actually being friends with Rose was in the too hard box. Taking a break from his revision, Elliot decided to try and get one more owl off to Rose before the holidays hit. Knowing his track record, the next time he spoke with Rose would be back at school next year.

Dear Rose,

Sorry it's been a bit, though I bet if I feel like this year is going fast it probably feels just as fast for you. It'll be fun to have you at school next year, I'm sure Lily and Ren will be happy to have you here too. Do you think you know which house you might want to be in yet?
We just finished rose giving here, Lily naturally got some. I can imagine you should be on the look out for some next year too, so apologies in advance for any rose puns.
Oh, I heard that you're pretty big into music. I used to collect old records with my dad, maybe you have some recommendations? I haven't picked up any in awhile bit it'd be nice to have some music to listen to at school, I'm sure there's a record player around here somewhere.
Anyway, hope you're having a good year, I'll probably see you soon!

Rose was irritated with how long it took Elliot to write her back. Didn't he know it was rude to make people wait? The days passed slowly until finally- finally- he graced her with another letter. Her answer was quick.

Briar,

You assume a lot. You lot are all off at school while I'm stuck in a mostly empty house. I'm going to be a Hufflepuff with Lily. Or at least, I better be. If I'm stuck with Ren I'm going to be peeved. Of course she got a rose, and I'll probably burn anything not from her. And throat chop anyone that tries to use the stupid puns.
If you're going with old records, classic rock is the way to go. Queen, Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd. Any of those would be a good bet. Queen is my personal favorite though. Keep Ren in line for me, would you?

Rose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back