The Gables

Ruki didn't say anything and this perturbed her a little, she didn't blame him for wanting to high tail it out of there. Placing the bag on the bed she walked over and stood beside him looking out through the frosted glass at the virtual winter wonderland outside. Andy glanced sideways at him feeling rotten for getting him stuck in the middle of this mess, placing a hand on his shoulder she hoped it would offer some kind of comfort.

"I'm sorry I brought you here to all this madness, I didn't think it would be like this. Usually it's not, then again usually I bring girls home. My friends from school" she suddenly was eager to clarify that for some bizarre reason, "Are you ok?"

Laying against the window, Ruki attempted to drift in to a sleep; knowing he could just as well clamber into bed. Deciding against this, as he knew he would sleep right through until awoken for breakfast; Ruki let out a low breath as Andromeda's hand bushed his shoulder. Moving slightly to pull away from the girl, Ruki listened as her words past his ears. As the girl mentioned school, Ruki remembered she had mentioned Hogwarts. Ruki opened his eyes and looked at her. "Hogwarts, if I remember correctly?". Not sure if he could even face her once he transfered to the new castle, Ruki continued. "I'm awaiting confirmation of a transfer.". Looking back through the window, Ruki sighed knowing Fenton would be there too. "Am I to decline the letter.". Ruki could most certainly kick himself for his words. Anyone's jealous actions wouldn't be enough to prevent him from leaving the place he hated most.

Andy frowned as he moved away from her, so she simply turned around and sat against the window sill looking back into the room. She had always loved it, snuggling up here on cold winter nights while Essie brushed out her hair and they talked about what she would be getting up to once school started. She was no longer that silly girl with dreams of a bright future. Everything she had ever imagined for herself for her future was all but gone, all she had left now was her dreams of becoming a healer and knowing her luck they would also vanish.

"Why would you decline the letter?" she asked him, "because of those two? don't be daft. If you're meant to be part of Hogwarts then you're meant to be don't let anyone change your destiny for you."

The girls question echoed through Ruki's mind. He was only truly moving to New Zealand because of his parents. As long as they continued to drag him around, Ruki knew he would never be completely happy. "I fear my destiny may be darker than it appears.". Ruki wanted so much to leave this house. To walk through the snow. To run. To fly. Sliding from the window seat, Ruki wandered over to the bed; and took off his shoes. Climbing up, Ruki sat in the middle of the bed. He no longer knew what to do.

Andy watched him move about and when he finally did say something she stared down at her own feet clad in the warm woolly slippers.
"If anyone knows about dark destiny's it's me" she told him very matter of factly, "what makes you say that then? Or can't you say? I'll understand that too believe me I will. There's a huge reason why those four out there are so protective of me. Sure the boys get it confused on occasion with how I look to them now, that wasn't always the case but their little girl grew up into this and so much more"

She smiled as she spread out her hands at her sides.

The girls words held Ruki in her presence a little longer. Something was pulling at her too. Ruki wasn't sure if he could even talk to her about his problem. After all, it was only small in comparison to others. The way she spoke caused Ruki to want to tell her, but he would feel ridiculous afterwards. Not noticing her final comment, or her hand movements, Ruki took a deep breath. "It's my parents.". Ruki looked at the quilt cover he was seated upon. "They move from country to country. Dragging me with them.". Avoiding the girls gaze, Ruki knew he couldn't tell her they where Death Eaters. "They wish for me to follow in their path.". Choosing now to look at the girl, Ruki could only assume his words hadn't sounded as bad to her as they had to him.

Ruki stretched his back. He wasn't ready to sleep.

Andy moved silently over to the bed and sat up on it, crossing her long legs infront of her as she did so. Listening to him she wondered at first what was so bad about parents moving him around but then realized she couldn't but not see the bad in that situation. Hadn't her mother and step father moved her from the school she had been happy in just because they had wanted her to be where they thought she would be better suited. They hadn't really done it for her benefit but more for Luxen and his mothers' own malicious sick sport.

"Is it hard to say no to them?" she began to fiddle with a loose thread on one of the slippers, "I mean you're move here, your transfer will that, could that change again next year? Do they uproot you from schools as well or just home life?"

She was curious now, interested to know more about him.

With Andromeda now sat upon the bed with him, Ruki listened closely to her newer questions. Feeling he could at least trust her enough after the days entire events, Ruki answered her. "Ever since I was born I have moved from country to country whilst my parents lived their lives. Four years ago I was moved from a regular school and placed into Durmstrang. My parents continued to move, but chose to keep me within the institute.". Ruki paused for a moment. "Now.". Ruki paused once more. "Now, they have embraced the darker side of magic; and made their way to New Zealand. My father feels Durmstrang is too far away for him to control my future.". Ruki looked up at Andromeda. Would she be able to tell what his parent where. How would she react. "They want me to follow the Dark Arts.".

Stopping to look towards the window, Ruki knew he had said too much. "I don't know how long I shall be here, but if my parents find what they are looking for; I shall be gone soon.".

His words sent a chill down her, the darker side of magic. She had experienced that first hand, having been blasted with the cruciatus and imperio curse while at Durmstrang. She often wondered if he had been left would Professor Glouster have also performed the killing curse on her, she didn't doubt it for a second.

"And what do you want to do Ruki? Your actions today, helping me speak volumes. They're not the actions of some one who's chosen the same path as his parents" she wondered how far down that path had they gone, it would only lead in one direction. Andy shivered at the thought but she hoped it would pass as her being cold instead. She couldn't begin to comprehend what it must have been like for him growing up in that kind of environment, Andy looked at him with sympathy in her eyes.

Turning to face the girl as she spoke once more, Ruki smiled at her. "I want to be free. I want to prove them wrong.". Catching the girl shiver, Ruki wondered if the action was related to her realisation of what his parents where. What if she had realised. What if she now knew. Ruki began to worry. How could anyone befriend the son of death eaters.

After a few moments of silence, Ruki attempted to hide a yawn. "I'm sorry. I must be keeping you awake.". It was the only thing he could say to the girl now. Feeling it would be too much, Ruki avoided asking the girl about her own destiny.

She smiled when he spoke a hand slowly reaching up and pushing some hair back from her face.
"Then do it, prove them wrong" she told him, "It's no good just wanting it, actions speak volumes you know".

Andromeda was so used to making herself at home in Essies bedroom that she didn't give it a second thought as she stretched out on the bed on her stomach, her legs folded up behind her and her chin resting in her propped up hands.
"If I had done everything my mother and my step-father had wanted then I wouldn't be here today. I'd probably be pushing up daisies somewhere by now. Fate will always have a funny way of stepping in and pointing you in another direction. It's just watching out for the signs, knowing when the time is right."

She turned her head to look at him.
"You're not keeping me awake at all but I'm probably keeping you up. Would you like me to leave?"

Ruki smiled as the young girl spoke to him. For the first time someone was on his side. Ruki knew what he want, and just by being there; knew he could reach it. Going home would have been too easy. Choosing to leave for New Zealand was a spur of the moment decision, and one which Ruki was not likely to forget. "Even if I am to fail, I shall never follow their path. My destiny is my own.". Ruki appreciated the girl's level of confidence in him. "I believe one of those signs leads to Hogwarts.". Ruki began to feel more open to the school. If it allowed him the freedom he desired, Ruki would do everything he was capable of to achieve it. Ruki gave a faint smile towards Andromeda. He was no longer sure if he was going to leave before breakfast.

Leaning backwards, Ruki took a-hold of one of the pillows from the bed. Tempted to lay down, his eyes glanced towards the young girl laying comfortably. Visions of a pillow fight ran through his mind. Ruki hadn't had that much fun ever. Holding on to the pillow, Ruki knew his actions would be impolite and in-appropriate. Sighing again, Ruki looked across the room. "You are free to stay, if you wish.". The longer she stayed, the longer Ruki could put off leaving the house. He had, after-all, no-where else to go.

Andy smiled at least Ruki had a healthy sense of his own way, he wasn't going to let anyone determine it for him. She hoped life itself would simply play ball and allow him the freedom he seemed to crave.
"Hogwarts is a great school, you'll fit in well. I know you will" her smile brightened as she moved one hand to trace the outline of a quilted flower on the spread while her other hand slid up to prop her cheek instead. Her keen observation noticed the tug on the pillow after living in a dorm for a long time and having pillow fights every other night, Andy wondered had he been tempted but she was proved wrong when he simply held on to it.

"I'll stay a bit longer" the room was warm and cozy as always and Andy stretched her long limbs out behind her, "So do you think you'll get your transfer? do you know anything about Hogwarts, the houses and stuff?"

She hoped she wasn't plying him with too many questions so late at night but she found she was relaxed in his company, comfortable enough to just simply be.

Watching the girl trace around the quilt, Ruki listened again to her words. He certainly hoped Hogwarts would be a good school to be in. Ruki knew he needed to be somewhere which would allow his potential to grow. Studying at Durmstrang was difficult to do. Simply looking at the text books caused him to fall into emptiness. Andromeda moved the conversation on to Hogwarts itself. In truth, Ruki knew nothing of the school. He never had known of any new location he was forced to grow up in. Over time, Ruki had numbed to it all. Turning to face the girl, ruki responded to her questions. "Since my parents are behind everything, I know the transfer will go through.". sighing, Ruki began to wish it would fail. Anything which could keep them away from him. "And I know nothing of the school.". Ruki moved his legs in front of him, and feeling the aches; began to rub beneath his knees.

Remembering his earlier desire to fly, Ruki's thoughts found their way to his broom; and the Durmstrang Quidditch team. Not even sure if the game would be played at the newest set of walls he was to attend, Ruki began to ask Andromeda. As he did so, Ruki began to question whether or not he was even capable of joining the team. His time within the Durmstrang team had been spent idly flying around, with little to no concentration or interest in the games he was playing. Noticing he had paused, Ruki continued to ask the girl his own question. "Does the school have a Quidditch team?". Ruki's voice sounded slightly excited for a moment.

Andromeda wasn't really surprised that he didn't know anything about the school, she hadn't had a clue about Dumrstrang either and having talked with quite a few transfers over the years they all seemed to have that in common.
"Well there are four houses there, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and the greatest house in the world, Gryffindor"
she smiled rolling over on to her back and staring up at the canopy, the brief thought that it might need a dusting entered her head from Merlin only knew where before she spoke again.

"And yes we have a quidditch team, four to be precise. One for each house and we have annual tournaments against each other. I'm a chaser on our team, we came second last year but hell will freeze over if we don't win this year" she smiled, Andy had been addicted to the game since she was very small and had heard about it from her father and knew her uncle was on the Irish team.
"Do you play?" she turned on her side to face him, a twinkle in her eye. Anyone who liked quidditch was alright in her book.

The next few words from Andromeda sent Ruki's head into a spin. "Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and the greatest house in the world, Gryffindor.". What in the world was the young girl going on about. Watching as the girl rolled on to her back, Ruki attempted to make sense of the schools names. The confusion lasted all of a few seconds of silence, as the words Ruki wished to hear where spoken. Hogwarts had a Quidditch team. In fact, they had four. Ruki's eyes widened at the very though of playing in a tournament. He knew he would require some practice to possibly match the skills of other players, but he knew he had a chance to fly; to enjoy his time within the new school.

The girl, having turned on her side, addressed Ruki once more. "I attempted to play at Durmstrang. But I could never truly enjoy the game.". Ruki caught the girls eyes. "I shall have to join the greatest house in the world, and practice for the team.". Ruki flashed her a grin. For the first time, he felt care-free.

Andy laughed and swatted his arm.
"You don't join the house you get chosen by the sorting hat, it decides for you. It's magical and places everyone in the right house. I have a feeling you could be a Gryffindor though" she grinned, "You've got potential".

She thought about the next quidditch season ahead of her and couldn't wait to get stuck in. They would have some serious training to do to get themselves ready for the next tournament. There was no way they were going to lose to Ravenclaw again and she was so not going to end up in hospital again either.

"Any teams you follow?" she asked truly delighted that they had another quidditch nut on their hands and if he got into Gryffindor he'd most certainly join them at try-outs.

Laughter could be heard throughout the room as it passed from the young girl. Ruki grinned widely at the sound. It was a sound he hadn't heard for some time. Blushing slightly, Ruki ran her words through his mind. Someone had begun to believe in him. When Andromeda mentioned following Quidditch teams, Ruki looked at her slightly deflated. He had never paid any mind to a team. He barely understood the game as it was. "Sorry. No." Ruki responded. He could sense her excitement at his small interest in the game, but he didn't know enough to discuss it with her. "I have never seen a professional game played.". Ruki knew, as soon as the words left his lips, he had to go to a game.

"How about yourself? Do you play?". It seemed obvious to him she did, but he thought it best to ask. The majority of the questions where being aimed towards him this night. Not caring what time it was, Ruki fluffed up the pillow and laid down across the bed; the pillow between the two.

Andy looked at him amazed but smiled all the same.
"Not to worry you're bound to if you're around here long enough. There's always games going on throughout the year, so if you don't go home on the vacations you can go catch one. I've seen tons of games. My uncle was the captain for the Irish National team for quite a while, brought them to victory back in 2018"
she told him a note of pride in her voice as she spoke of the man she had loved like her father. Andy moved her hand so that she was smoothing a crease on the pillow as she continued to talk to him.

"I tried out away back in first year and got keeper but I'm chaser now. I love being a chaser. I guess I just love the speed, beat our old captain in the try-outs last year" she smiled remembering how she had been the fastest Gryffindor on the pitch, "Would you believe I was actually born flying".
She looked over at him as she told him the story of how her parents had been travelling back from holidaying in Italy as her mothers close relative was dying and how on the flight over she had gone into labour and given birth to Andromeda. She left out about how her twin had died the same time, not thinking he needed to know every detail about her.

She had said it. Home. Ruki could only scowl now. If Hogwarts turned out to be as good as it was being made out, he would be staying there during the holidays, not going 'home'. Ruki allowed the scowl to fade as the girl mentioned games where held all year. He would certainly make plans to go. Pride glistened from the girls words when she spoke of her uncle. Ruki could only feel slightly alone. The only family he had was an aunt whom he could barely remember. As Ruki listened, Andromeda began to explain about her team position. The word Chaser caught his attention. Ruki had spent many a game under this guise, floating aimlessly around the pitch. Smiling to himself, Ruki heard the girl continue.

"Born flying?" Ruki repeated. He had no idea where he was born. Ever since he was capable of remembering, his parents where moving from country to country. At that time it was their jobs they focused upon. Making money for themselves to enjoy their high-class life-style. They where a whole world apart from what they where now. Remembering Andromeda's earlier words about her parents, Ruki was a little un-sure of asking about them. Deciding to try, he spoke softly. "Is the relationship with your parents as bad as mine?". Ruki felt like kicking himself. His wasn't exactly all that bad.

Andy thought for a minute about how to answer that.
"Well.. my father died before I started first year but before that I had the most idealistic family life imaginable. We lived in Ireland with the rest of my mothers family, on this huge farm which is also an animal sanctuary but my father ... well, he wanted us to move here so I could attend this Hogwarts" she omitted how her father had a mistress here at the time and this was what had prompted the move.

"After he was gone my mother began seeing a man she used to date way back at magic school. They got married and had other kids but they eloped, not wanting me to be around them much. I really didn't mind, I had here and I had all my friends at school but... well, they felt it was in my best interest to move me to Durmstrang. I became estranged from my mother after that because she didn't once try to believe what they were doing to me there" Andy stopped herself before she went on any further and glanced across the pillow to Ruki.
"I guess families are just strange. Last year my uncle was killed and my step father died. Now my mother and I are rebuilding the relationship we once had and I am getting to see my half siblings on occasion too. Sometimes life has a funny way of working out".

She continued the rhythmic motion of smoothing out the same crease in the pillowcase when her hand touched his. There was an urge to pull it away but there was an even stronger one to leave it there, she was so chilled out in his company it simply didn't seem to matter.

Bringing his gaze towards the girl, Ruki listened deeply to her words. She had lost her father. Ruki couldn't help but feel for her, and the very issues he was having seemed nothing in the light of truly losing his parents. Even if they where trying to force him into the world of death eaters, it would surely cause him pain if they died. Ruki was in no way cold hearted.

As Andromeda paused to look at him, Ruki felt there was something she had prevented herself from saying. If anything, he understood how evil Durmstrang could be; but maybe there was something more to the institute, to which he had never paid any mind. Hearing the young girl continue, Ruki felt his heart sink slightly. She had lost several of her family. His problems where now a small flame upon a candle, compared to her roaring fire. As her words came to an end, Ruki began to respond; when he felt her hand bush against his. If it had been he whom revealed his past to the young girl, Ruki would have seen this as a comforting touch; but he hadn't, and slowly pulled his hand from beneath hers.

"To apologise for such a loss may seem presumptuous of me. It seems you have lost quite a bit in recent years.". Ruki felt like an idiot. He decided it was best to leave the subject for a better time. "So tell me.". Ruki simply wished to change the subject. "How beautiful is the orchard during the summer?". He began to wish he had his own orchard to walk through.

Woooo!

The boy before her would never know exactly how much she had lost, not just in the death toll that seemed to increase about her but her own innocence, her soul. She shuddered as he moved his hand so abruptly away and shaking herself out of her reverie, for she knew if she got much more comfortable than this she was in grave danger of falling asleep here, Andy slid herself from the bed and walked to the window as he asked her about the orchard.

She looked out upon it from the window, a dreamy smile catching her strange features.
"It's beautiful, so green and full. The noise of birds is endless, the rustle of the leaves. The flowers are out. It's breathtaking down there. I know it's not a huge orchard but it's big enough for us" she smiled continuing to look out upon the vast whiteness below. Turning to look at him once more she frowned.

"I really should let you get some sleep, it's getting late and breakfast tends to be early here".

wow really we're coming all the way back here? :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back