OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Miles had slept badly, he was very anxious about today. Things with Oscar had been strange ever since they had run into his son, and Miles was a little worried about meeting him at his house. It was nice that they wouldn't be in public where Miles also got anxious, but it still had kept him up half the night, playing different scenarios in his head. In a few, his brother had even walked in and run off with Oscar. Miles wondered if he was ever going to get over that particular event of his past. He had brought Oscar a small gift in the form of his favorite tea but was starting to regret that choice. Was it presumptuous? Rude? He had been invited over to drink tea so he had thought it a fitting tea, but he suddenly worried it would look like he didn't think Oscar had good tea himself, or that he only wanted to drink this particular kind. Miles sighed softly, idly wondering how much easier life was for people who didn't worry over every little thing. He knocked on the door to Oscar's house, hoping he had been correct when he said his son wouldn't be home. Miles hadn't quite forgotten the accusatory look the boy had had on his face. As soon as the door opened, Miles held out the tea. "This is just a gift, for you, for later. I'd like any tea you have." He blurted out.

Oscar had been hoping things with Elliot would even out after awhile, heated feelings simmering back down to uncomfortable silences but if anything, they'd only gotten worse with Elliot living with him. Meals were tense and Elliot rarely spoke except terse explanations on where he was going. Out. Mostly. Oscar felt like he saw more of his son when he'd been in school than he did now. The whole thing was giving him indigestion and he was grateful that Miles had agreed to come over for the afternoon. He needed a friendly face.

It was a wet day and Oscar nearly didn't hear Miles at the door, busy staring out the slide glass doors to the drizzly yard outside. He'd half been listening for a car on the driveway before he remembered that was silly. Opening the door, Oscar blinked a few times as Miles held up the tea, trying to process the unexpected offering. "Oh, thanks," he said, blinking a few times before giving Miles a slow smile, gently taking the tea and Miles' hand with it. "I've just got gumboot tea so, this looks a lot nicer," he said, pulling Miles inside, already feeling more at ease having him there. Things had been tense after Miles had first met Elliot, but Oscar hoped they'd gotten past it by now. They hadn't talked about it, but Oscar figured enough time had passed. "Don't worry, Elliot's not home," he added, moving over to the cluttered kitchenette and humming uncertainly as he tried to clear some space for them to sit at the dining table tucked near the counters while also looking for mugs and the kettle.

MIles knew how weird he had sounded the moment Oscar had opened the door, but one of the things Miles liked best about him was how he took things like that in stride. Miles smiled as Oscar took his hand, giving his hand a small squeeze in return. "Oh, I'm happy with anything." He said, which was a blatant lie. Miles was overly fussy about tea when he was at home. He felt his shoulders relax slightly when Oscar said Elliot wasn't home, though he felt a little guilty about it. "Oh, I... wasn't worried." He said, then he paused. A white lie about tea was one thing, but this was something else. "No, that's not true. I was." He admitted. "Have... things been alright between you two?" Miles still felt very guilty for how he had come between Oscar and his son, he remembered the hurt and betrayed look on the young man's face clearly. Miles looked around as Oscar fussed in the kitchen, clasping his hands to stop himself from touching anything. "I like your place." He said after a moment. "It's very cozy. It suits you."

Oscar's hands stilled as he got the mugs ready, suddenly unsure if he should use Miles' nice tea or his regular black tea. He didn't want to disappoint Miles, but he didn't want to wreck his nice tea either. Did it need a teapot? Did Oscar own a teapot. He glanced over his shoulder as Miles lingered behind him, almost relieved when the subject of Elliot came up.

"You don't have to lie," he said sheepishly, turning around to lean back against the counter as the kettle set to boil. Truth be told Oscar was equally relieved Elliot was out for the day, not that it was unusual. "Things have been... Quiet. And not the fun kind of quiet," Oscar admitted, scratching his cheek. "I honestly think we talked more when he was only here for a few weeks between school term," he said with a sigh. "He's practically living at his girlfriend's place. I just wish I knew what to say to him, but I'm not sure he wants to hear it." Oscar shrugged his shoulders. "I really hadn't expected him to act this way... He's always been such a good kid. Mature..." Oscar trailed off, listening to the kettle bubbling behind and smiling as Miles complimented the house. "The lines are good," he said fondly, rubbing a hand over the counter as he trailed his eye around the beams running up to the high, pointed ceiling. "But cozy is a very nice way of saying it's a disaster area, I know," he said, giving Miles another fond smile.

Miles turned pink when Oscar pointed out he was lying. Clearly, he knew Miles well enough to know he was usually worried about something. The son of his current partner hating him was definitely on his list, somewhere at the top. "Alright, perhaps a little worried." He admitted sheepishly. "I just don't want to make things any worse." He added guiltily. "I feel like I really messed things up for you two." He added quietly. He winced when Oscar described how things were now, with Elliot practically living at his girlfriend's place. That couldn't be easy. He smiled as Oscar talked about the house, glancing up. "Disaster area is a rather strong term." He said, hesitating. "How about... chaotically cozy." He said with a small smile. "Which is what I could use to describe my place as well. I'm terrible at throwing things away."

Oscar sighed and shook his head, moving over to press a kiss to the top of Miles' head, letting his face linger there for a moment, whether to hide or just ready himself before he spoke. "It's.. Not your fault. Not really," he admitted with a sigh. "I don't know what's gotten in to him, but I think this is a.. Me problem," Oscar said, stepping back over to the counter in time to motion to himself glumly before grabbing a pair of mugs from the cupboard. "Just wish I knew how to fix it- Should I be putting this in a teapot or something?" He asked after a moment, holding up the tea Miles had brought before pensively checking the label, glad to have something to focus on that wasn't awkward discussing Elliot. "I can take chaotically cozy," he said with a small smile, glancing back over his shoulder at Miles. He could see that being an appropriate descriptor for Miles and his place, imagining Miles tucked in an overstuffed armchair with a pile books and an abacus or whatever it was he used for work.

Miles felt his cheeks flush when Oscar kissed the top of his head. He leaned into him for a moment, still feeling a bit uncertain about gestures of affection like this. It was very nice, but Miles wasn't entirely used to it. He reached over and gently touched Oscar's hand. "Well, if it's a You problem... there has to be a You solution too." He said gently. "Maybe we can think about it together." He smiled fondly when Oscar asked about the tea, reaching to take it from his hand. "Should I make it and show you?" He offered. "Just to help you along." He caught his eye and smiled, feeling a warm feeling in his chest. If this is what it was like to be with someone, Miles couldn't really remember why he had avoided it so long. In the back of his mind, he vaguely thought of Rupert, but he pushed that thought away. He wouldn't ruin this, it had been so long, surely even Rupert had matured a bit over the decades. "Do you have a teapot?" He asked, glancing around.

Oscar contemplated Miles' hand on his for a moment, tracing over one of Miles' fingers with his thumb as he mulled over what Miles had said. "I hate that you're probably right," he admitted with another sigh, shifting his hand to shuffle the mugs on the countertop moodily. Introspection and talking about feeling were never Oscar's forte. He'd managed without them for long enough and it worked out alright. Estranged son and ex-wife non-withstanding he thought tiredly, glancing over at Miles. He was so tired of losing people in his life because he couldn't bring himself to say the important stuff. "I'm glad you're here. For tea. And to help, I guess," he said, turning around quickly to fiddle with the tin of tea. Heaven's knew Oscar needed the help. "Honestly, I think I should probably... Talk to Harriette- My uh. Ex-wife," he told Miles solemnly. In the early days of their separation, Oscar had called Harriette constantly, but as the years had gone on, it'd gotten harder and harder to pick up the phone and now- Calling her would mean having to explain Miles and Oscar wasn't sure he was ready for that conversation yet.

"Teapot... Teapot..." Grabbing onto the distraction gratefully again, Oscar dug around in the cupboards, sure he must have gotten a teapot at some point. "Ah, this might work?" He said, holding up a squat, tin looking teapot he suspected might actually be used for brewing some sort of fancy coffee he'd given up trying to make in his 20's. "Just a bit dusty," he said, moving over the sink to try and get the layer of grime off sheepishly.

Miles sighed softly, looking at Oscar's fingers as they traced over his thumb. He glanced up at him with an apologetic smile. "I was trying to be encouraging and hopeful." He mumbled. "I'm sure you can figure things out, Oscar." He said quietly. He smiled softly when Oscar said he was glad he was here. As Oscar mentioned his ex-wife, he nodded quickly. He never wanted to seem like he minded Oscar talking to his ex, even if it was a bit scary. Miles had no idea what Harriette was like, but he could only imagine she was a lot more confident than Miles was. He never knew how much to ask about Oscar's past. He didn't want to be nosy or make him uncomfortable. He smiled in relief when Oscar dug up a teapot, though it was a bit unusual. "I think that will work just fine." He said, leaning over to take it from him. "Allow me." He said, taking out his wand. "Scourgify." He said, tapping the teapot and cleaning it immediately. "There we go. I'll make us some tea," Miles said, feeling more comfortable doing something with his hands.

Oscar hummed in acknowledgement when Miles mentioned he was trying to be encouraging, scratching absently at his cheek. "Suppose I have to," he said, albeit quietly. As much as Oscar preferred to let things resolve themselves, there was no denying the growing gulf between him and Elliot was going away any time soon if he didn't do something. He just... Wasn't ready to act yet.

He was glad when they could focus on the tea making, though Oscar could feel his face pull when Miles pulled out his wand. In the beginning with Harriette, magic had seemed amazing; the way she could just flick her wrist and make things happen according to her whims. But Oscar would be lying if it didn't make him feel a bit put off at times. Frustrated in the same way doing maths in your head could feel when there was a calculator right in front of you. Still, it saved them time, and Oscar was happy to relinquish the teapot and tea to Miles with a simple thanks, relieved to let him take over in a sphere he was certainly more experienced. Instead, Oscar leant back against the kitchen counter as Miles got to work, tapping his fingers on the back of his other hand idly. "You should come by more. If you want," he said after a moment, glancing over at Miles before turning his gaze back across the kitchenette. "It's uh. Nice. Having you here, I mean." And it wasn't like Elliot was around to make it awkward, Oscar thought, though he didn't voice the idea out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back