Taking Back What's Mine

Gabriel Fletcher

Wand
Curly 16 Inch Unyielding Hornbeam Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
If there had been any way to avoid meeting Lexy again, Gabriel would have taken it. He'd even considered just letting the runes she'd stolen go; he had little else of value since she'd robbed his house, so why should he bother trying to reclaim a stupid set of runes? But he needed them. They'd been his mother's runes, passed on to him by his father - the only possession of his mother's he owned. And though he harboured a bitter rage toward his mother for abandoning him at birth, he liked to think that maybe she'd done it for a good reason, to protect him, or to give him a better life. Sure, life with his dad hadn't wound up all that great, either, but at least he'd been relatively safe, and had a roof over his head and food to eat. Maybe his mother wasn't a terrible person. Maybe she'd just been desperate.

So Gabriel needed those runes. He needed those runes so badly he'd been willing to travel all the way up to Scotland on Muggle transport just to get a hold of them. He tapped his foot on the pavement outside Lexy's rental, trying to summon the courage to knock. It was ridiculous, really. She barely levelled with his chest. He shouldn't have had to be afraid of her. But he was, because she had magic on her side, whilst he could barely perform a strong enough shield charm to deflect a knee-reversal jinx. The area was magical, too, which only served to make Gabriel more anxious. He sighed, shaking his head, and then stepped forward to knock on the door. Lexy had agreed to this. Nothing bad could happen. Right?

There was nothing more Lexy wanted to do, than crawl into bed and sleep for twelve hours, after a long hot shower. However there she sat, still in her grey dinner dress, waiting for one Mr. Gabriel Fletcher to arrive at her house. It was half nine already, and Lexy propped her feet on her loveseat's arm, listening to whatever music droned in the background. It wasn't anything memorable, classical music with a slow and sweet melody. The petite Slytherin alumni had always loved classical music more than any other genre and she found it passed the time to engross oneself in the noise. This in fact worked until Mr. Fletcher knocked. At least Lexy assumed she was being called upon by him - Zero was back home writing to Yiwen about some fashion show coming up that she wanted her to attend. Lexy almost felt sorry for the younger student, but she knew her best friend meant well - it was to expose her to more purebloods. Not that Lexy minded the supremacy. Zero had never once said a thing about her blood from the first day she defended her in Charms class to now. Blood was thinner than their friendship.

Lexy crossed the small foyer - even though it was a rental (she wasn't dumb enough to invite him to her real house) it was nice, and well decorated. She knew the older couple who rented it out often. In fact she had tricked them so well they gave her the place for a bargain for the weekend. She was supposed to be celebrating an anniversary with her partner. Ha. Easy to fool were the old hearts of young romantics. Lexy opened the door, and her head tilted back, large brown orbs looking up to Gabriel. "Any wands on you are to be handed over right now." She spoke with demand. After he handed it over she would lead him into the dining area, to talk over the table as if she thought his trashy runes were worth bargaining anything for.

The door opened, and Gabriel adjusted the angle of his head to look Lexy in the eyes. Then he rolled his. "I didn't bring one. Search me, if it makes you feel better, but you won't find anything." He was telling the truth. There wasn't really any point Gabriel bringing his wand, truth be told. The reason he'd bought a second one from Lexy in the first place was because his own was faulty, or something. "Can I come in now?"

Once it was ascertained that Gabriel had no wands on his person, he followed Lexy through the hall and into the dining area, hesitantly taking a seat. He hadn't completely convinced himself he wasn't going to wake up bound in ropes again. Finally he sighed. "Look, I haven't got anything to give you, so if you're hoping I'll pay you for the runes, you might as well kick me out now. You took every last thing I had when you robbed me, so." He leaned forward, resting his arms on the table and looking Lexy in the eye. "Look, I just want the runes, OK? You can keep the rest of my stuff. I don't give a rat's ass. I can replace it. But I can't replace those runes. So just give them back, and I'll be out of your hair forever, yeah?"

Lexy looked at him and took her opportunity, and searched the man, uncaring that she was possibly making him uncomfortable. She needed to make sure she was safe. She decided after a few moment of patting down his front, back, pockets, and sleeves that she was safe and allowed him into the rental she was using as a meeting ground. She watched him sit, but remained standing, only a little taller than him when doing so. Her arms were crossed over her chest, before she decided to grab her wand, and lock the door. Once it was locked she took a seat across from Gabriel and listened to him, unsure on what was so special about the Runes.

The brunette remained wordless for a while, moving from her seat to her bedroom where she kept them, and grabbed them in her hands. Finally she emerged with the bag, completely undamaged. "What's so special about these?" She inquired, swinging them back and fourth for a moment before stopping the momentum and holding them in her hand. "You came all the way here to Scotland for some runes, so they must be important. Ex girlfriend give them to you?" She guessed. "No wait who would live at that flat..." She paused. "Parent figure?" She inquired, her large, aqua orbs narrowing as she tried to push buttons.

Gabriel tried to keep his eyes focused on Lexy's face, rather than the rune bag, though he couldn't help glancing once or twice as she swung it around. A fierce blush rose to his cheeks. He didn't really want to have to explain the runes' sentimental value - especially not to this woman. But it was looking as if he didn't have a choice - if he ever wanted to get those runes back, that was. He swallowed his pride and narrowed his eyes. "They were my mum's," he said. Then, as an added afterthought, "She died." Well, she might have been dead, for all Gabriel knew, so perhaps it wasn't really a lie. Growing frustrated, he clenched his jaw. "Can I have them back, now?"

When Gabriel spoke Lexy Martinez's frame slouched ever so slightly and her tense and reactive features softened, looking at him not with pity but with understanding. They could have been from any other person. She could have been alive. And Lexy wouldn't have given a rats rear end about the runes, and probably would have tried to steal his jacket which looked rather nice. Instead it was a dead mom. a mom like hers. Lexy looked at the bag and shook her head, as if arguing mentally with herself before speaking. "Not yet." She spoke, but this time her voice was malevolent or conniving, it was soft. "When's the last time you had a proper meal. i saw your flat, I know if must not happen often." The English girl looked into Gabriel's eyes, unafraid of eye contact. She remembered his crummy flat and wondered if he'd had a mom would it look that way? Perhaps he couldn't pay because of that. Lexy would punch herself to snap out if she could, but her mother had been her everything. She knew to loose a parent was hard, but a mother was the hardest. "Let me make you something."

At first, Gabriel thought it was some kind of trick. He watched Lexy through narrowed eyes, searching her face for sarcasm, finding nothing but genuine concern. Either she was one hell of an actress, or his story about his dead mother had unintentionally softened her. Great. And his mother wasn't even dead. Well, he didn't really know where she was; he'd neither seen nor heard from her since she'd dropped him on his father's doorstep as a baby, and obviously he didn't remember that. For all he knew, she might well have been dead. She was dead to Gabriel, anyway. And sometimes it hurt as if she were really gone.

Gabriel looked down and away, blinking and shaking his head. "No. It's fine," he said quietly. "I just need the runes, and then I'll be out of your way." He didn't want this woman's pity, anyway. Maybe before she'd robbed him, but not now. He just wanted to take his runes and get the hell out of there.

Lexy stood and placed the runes easily in the top of her dress. "Listen, Fletcher." She started, her tone still gentle, obviously defeated. "I didn't steal from you just because i thought it was fun. None of what i took and sold even paid for anything for me." She continued, moving to the kitchen which was fully visible from where they'd been sat. "My friend needed money and i gave it to her. Her parents died a few years ago." She continued whilst using magic to help prepare some soup, sandwiches, and other eats. "I guess i sort of feel for you. My Mom died when I was 16." She revealed. "Dad's in prison so i went off to live on my own early." She then turned at looked at him. none of this information was dangerous in her opinion. If he sent someone after her it wouldn't be to her real house, it would be hear and it wouldn't be her problem. "i actually started off in a flat like yours... So if you don't want me to be kind that's fine, but I'm hungry anyways and it's dangerous to travel at night. Make up your mind and if you really want to go just say the words and the runes are yours. But if you want to stay, I have a very comfortable bed, and plenty of food for the night."

Gabriel was torn. On the one hand, the last thing he wanted was Lexy's help or pity, but on the other, he hadn't had a decent meal or sleep in days, and the offer of food and a comfortable bed was weakening his pride. He clenched his jaw again, and his fists. "I don't want your food, or your pity, and I don't care about your stupid sob story," he said, trying to remain fierce despite the film of tears in his eyes. They had more in common than he'd imagined. But that didn't make any of this OK. "You know what I did, when I left school?" he said, bitterly. "I got a job. A real job. So I could earn a decent wage and maybe make something of myself. I screwed up. I bought a wand from you and forgot to pay. Then I had to pay rent, and I didn't have any money left. You waltzed into my flat, tied me up, and took everything I own." Gabe slammed his fist down on the table for emphasis. "I don't feel sorry for you. And I don't want your pity. So give me back my runes, yeah?"

Lexy watched Gabriel's face. The way his defined jaw clenched, muscles flexing under pallid skin. His eyes filmed over as if real emotion lay beneath an anger she well recognized. "I wanted to be an author. They said I was a little too angry for that." She spoke back. As if he wasn't angrily talking to her. As if this was a normal conversation. Lexy grinned. But her grin turned into a laugh and the brunette covered her mouth. Her food was already finishing and she begun to make a plate for herself. "You're actually fairly attractive when you're angry, you know that?" Lexy sat the plate off to the side of the counter. "Listen I don't pity you. Not even in the slightest. Things happen out of our control and they don't need pity." She turned and leaned against her counter. "I took what you had to pay back the person who made that wand. Not for myself. I got nothing out of it. But her sister needed school supplies and you were not going to screw her out of that." She spoke insistently. "If it's the money you're mad about I can't pay you back. Unless you count food and a warm bed as such." Still Lexy did not remove the tunes, though she wasn't fully sure why she felt the need to keep this low life around.

Gabriel scoffed. As if he cared about her failed childhood ambitions, or some girl's stupid school supplies. That didn't justify the way Lexy made a living. And sure, Gabe had bought a wand from her - he wasn't an angel himself - but that didn't mean he agreed with what she did. "You think you know me because we both lost our mums," he said, shaking his head. "You're wrong. You and me, we're different people. I earn a living fixing cars, you earn a living robbing people who can't afford to pay their dues. And don't act like you're innocent because you're working for someone else. You're still complicit." He sat back, his lip curling. Her comment about his being attractive hadn't gone unnoticed, but he didn't even care enough to respond to it. Suddenly, he laughed. "What do you want from me? Huh? Why are you even doing this? You could just give me the runes, and I'd be gone. Why the hell are you offering me bed and breakfast instead?"

Lexy mulled over what he said and rolled her large aquamarines in an exaggerated manner. The brunette moved from her spot against the counter and rummaged through her fridge to take out a wine cooler. "I never said I thought I knew you Gabriel." She poised an interesting point. She knew nothing about him. "Actually. I make my living selling wands to anyone who buys them. Debt collector is a hobby. Like drinking sh***y beer and watching muggle television is yours." She brought her plate over to the table and sat it down. "None of this is because I pity you. Trust me. All of this is because you remind me of me when I was angry at everyone and everything. When I was so bored with my life that I had to drink to will myself asleep." She moved again to grab a fork which she had forgotten. "Also because you're kind of cute and I don't get out much." She added without batting her eyes. This did make her Thursday more interesting after all.

Gabriel watched Lexy with a stone cold frown. See? She did think she had him all figured out. She might not have explicitly said so, but she implied it in the way she thought she could relate to him. Well, she was wrong. "I'm not angry," he muttered, folding his arms. God, that food smelled good. Gabe glanced over at the counter, and then, after only a moment's deliberation, stood up and got himself a plate of food. Lexy clearly wasn't going to just give him the runes, so he might as well take advantage of her hospitality. It sure beat the meal that was waiting for him at home, at any rate. Not that he'd get home until way past midnight.

Gabriel dropped his plate heavily on the table and sat back down to eat. He wanted to say something cutting, but was quickly distracted by how good the food tasted, and forgot how to talk for several minutes. When he finally slowed down, it was only because he'd almost choked, and by that time he'd nearly finished anyway. He pushed the plate away and wiped his mouth with his hand. "There. Happy? I ate your food. Now give me my runes. Cause that's what I came here for. Not to be looked at like some animal in a zoo exhibition."

Lexy laughed gently and rolled her eyes. He seemed decidedly grumpy. The brunette sat in her seat and munched happily, before becoming surprised that the boy took her offer. The mi Ute he went to get food she removed the runes, and set them next to her plate. He had no obligation to eat but she did feel he might have needed the food based on his reaction when he begun scarfing down the food. He stopped she watched, and slid the runes over to him. "I'm sorry you felt held captive like a zoo animal. I only had good intentions." She spoke before standing and unlocking and opening the door. It had begun raining fairly heavily in the time it took for him to eat. "Be safe on your trip home and... hey if you need anything you know how to reach me." She spoke. Why Lexy was offering this out of character kindness was beyond her, but she was sincere. She used magic to clean the table quickly. "And feel free to grab left overs." She spoke, the table cleaned in an instance, dishes doing them selves in her kitchen. Magic was truly helpful. She wondered if he knew that as well, but didn't bother for further conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back