Take Me Away

Phillip Piper

Typical English day. The heavens had opened right on to Pippin on his way to the markets, and it was only now that he rolled in to his favourite tart shop that he was able to escape the torrential rain. It was too late, though. The shivering wheelchair-bound boy was soaked head to toe, and little strands of badly cut blonde hair were falling in to his eyes. The wheels made wet tired tracks on the linoleum, and the lady behind the counter gave him a fond but disapproving look. "Sorry, ma'am." said Pippin sheepishly. By the time he left and headed towards the shaded grove that had always been his hideaway, Pippin was shivering. His small hands began to shake and he scowled at his own weakness. Even worse was the urge to cry, which he buried furiously.

The cobblestones were wet and slippery, and he managed to maneuver himself carefully down the slope towards the tree line where the street ended. Pippin was not quite in the cover of shrubbery before his arms gave up and he stopped. With a last ditch effort, he turned himself to face the street and watched the people. His sodden jumper was cold against his bruised skin, and he wrapped his arms around his chest and stared out, blinking every time a drop of water slid down his nose. He was not expecting to see anyone he knew that day ... but they would be most welcome.

Antoinette was getting worried. She'd been getting sick the last few mornings, her body seemed to be out of sync with itself...all signs were pointing to one thing. Which, at seventeen, Antoinette really didn't want to consider, but she supposed she'd have to face the consequences sooner or later. She just hoped everything was a massive mistake.

Having - very inconspicuously - procured a couple of potions and the like, Antoinette walked down the cobbled streets of the marketplace, her umbrella clutched tightly in one hand as she held her bag against her chest. Sighing, Antoinette was glad that she'd chosen to wear sensible, comfortable - if not a little old and boring - shoes and warm, comfortable clothing. Really, she'd just been feeling too sick to attempt to dress otherwise.

Thinking about her recent sickness caused Antoinette to shiver, and so she continued walking, praying that she'd find a diversion from her thoughts sooner or later. And lo! There was one, in a familiar figure at the end of the street. Antoinette gasped. It was Pippin, and the poor boy was all alone in the pouring rain. Well, there was nothing else for it. Speeding up, Antoinette half-jogged the rest of the distance, and soon she was standing by Pippin's side, holding her umbrella over the two of them. "Pippin!" she exclaimed, her own worries forgotten in that brief moment. "Oh my goodness Pippin, are you alright?"

He'd not been looking at anything in particular when an exclamation nearly made him jump out of his skin. He kept on jumping before he realised that his teeth were chattering. Regardless, Pippin lifted his hand and waved as frantically as he could to whom he now recognised was Antoinette; someone he was very glad to see, indeed. "Hi, hi!" he called out to her, his cheeks becoming appled and his nose wrinkling with delight. Inwardly he was breathing terrifically fast, trying to keep his shivers at bay while Antoinette approached, but it seemed that it had been futile. The look on her face made his own fall, and he nodded earnestly. "Yes, I'm perfectly fine? Why would you-" he began to speak between clenched teeth to stop his from chattering, and discreetly tucked his arms in further beneath the crooks of his arms. "-think that anything was the matter? I'm very happy to see you!"

Antoinette was the cleverest person that he had ever met, and he knew that if he let a single sign of weakness past, she would know. Pippin was not only cold, but covered neck to toe in welts and bruises. It was the only reason that he was wearing his biggest sweater and now he was quite glad of the fact that he did. "You look quite pale today. Have you been eating enough?" said Pippin, a familiar worry line folding on his forehead.

Antoinette smiled at his response, but shook her head. "I'm very happy to see you too," she began, earnestly. "But being out in the rain is never good for anyone." Looking around, Antoinette spotted an undercover area a short distance away. "Shall we move over there?" she asked, pointing. "If you're alright, that is." Pippin looked tired and unwell, but still managed to keep his innocently cheerful attitude. This made Antoinette smile. She'd missed innocence and happiness, lately. Sure, she had a degree of happiness with James - in fact, she was mostly happy, to be honest, but him cheating on her had hurt her, though she barely showed it now. She dealt with things okay, though sometimes she just wanted to go back to youthful innocence.

Maybe then she wouldn't have to worry about the life that was most likely forming inside of her.

"I'm fine, though, really," she said, absently clutching her purchases closer to her. Some Pepper-Up potion to keep her well - perhaps Pippin could use some, too - as well as a pregnancy test. Inwardly, she winced just thinking about that. But Antoinette kept a brave face. She had to, for Pippin's sake. "I graduated a couple of weeks ago," she added, a hint of pride in that statement. "How have you been?" she asked, not really wishing to talk about herself, lest her worries come to the forefront of her mind.

"No, you're quite right." nodded Pippin. The only reason he'd stopped was because he simply couldn't carry himself any further. The short pause had given him just enough strength to move into the hidden grove, even though it had been spent in the rain. Inside his heart was leaping with joy; Antoinette was pleased to see him! It almost felt like he had a friend. But he did not see her that often, and he couldn't be greedy with companionship. A small chat every few weeks could get him through right enough, though he could always wish for more. Arms aching, Pippin moved himself down the path a little bit more and stopped just as they had reached the covered area. Only tiny drops of rain managed to sneak through the thick foliage, and Pippin finally relaxed.

Pippin smiled at Antoinette, not quite believing that she was fine but accepting that she wouldn't fib to him about something important. If something really was wrong, he trusted that she'd tell him; that's what Pippin believed of everyone. "Congratulations!" said Pippin, his smile going from polite to beaming. "How did you do? What were your best subjects?" he asked. Pippin gave another involuntary shiver and excused himself while he removed his sodden jumper without thinking. He rung it out well and flopped it over the back of his chair, left in an old grey undershirt. Even then, he did not remember. The black and purple bruises were quite visible along his arms. Even the finger marks on his neck. Yet still he kept talking, so cheerful and absent minded that his marks of shame went unaccounted for in his mind.

Once they'd reached the covered area, Antoinette relaxed her grip on the umbrella, leaning it on her shoulder, considering they were largely protected from the rain. Her bag of purchases, though, were still tightly clutched to her chest. She suspected she might need to share her Pepper-Up Potion with Pippin, though. Surely he would catch a cold, if he hadn't caught one already. "Thank you," she replied, sweetly. "I was best in Charms and Transfiguration...a little hopeless in Potions and Herbology but I suppose you can't be good at everything," she chuckled, before stopping and gawking as Pippin removed his jumper. Bruises, everywhere. On his arm, his neck...Antoinette was horrified. Disgusted. Shifting her umbrella to her other hand, Antoinette gently reached over and placed a hand on his arm, surveying the damage. Oh, whoever had done this to such a sweet and kind young boy would have hell to pay.

Of course, Antoinette had her suspicions as to who it was, and already plans were formulating in her mind. First, however, her theory needed confirmation. "Pippin," she began, seriously. "Who...who did this to you?"

Pippin had no idea what Herbology was, but it sounded just as exciting as everything else he'd been told about. 'Ologogy' was the study of, so 'Herb'...plants? Perhaps it meant magical plants! Some people may not have been so thrilled to hear about plants, but if it had anything to do with magic then Pippin was hooked already. For some reason, he was extremely proud of Antoinette. She seemed like a goddess to him; beautiful, talented and extremely caring all in one! He grinned at her, but flinched when she reached out to touch his arm. "Ow," said Pippin involuntarily. He then went still. Like a cat caught in the headlights, he looked down at his bare arms and felt the familiar sick feeling of dread wash over him.

Pippin looked up at Antoinette slowly, wide and terrified eyes staring into her own that were filled with horror and disgust. She was looking at him like that. Pippin misunderstood, and he cringed and drew his arms back towards himself. But Antoinette had asked him a question. He couldn't lie, he just couldn't. Then what was he to say? "Oh ... this?" You mean these. "Don't w-worry about it. I just dropped a plate the other night-" No. You threw a plate. "-and Mother wasn't happy. She just cuffed me over the head, that was all. But I was a bit upset so...so..." Oh, think. "So I went down the road. But I went a bit fast and fell." Lies, lies, lies. The memories of the real occurrence slammed like a weight onto his head, and his eyes filled with tears. Voice shaking, Pippin managed to look at Antoinette again. "I'm sorry! It was my fault, I shouldn't have made her angry," A sob crept out, then another. He felt utterly defenseless, and he was too tired and sore to to try and get away. "Don't hit me...please," said Pippin in the smallest voice imaginable. He barely even said it at all.

Antoinette was horrified, appalled. She quickly withdrew her hand when she heard Pippin make a small noise of pain, biting her lip to prevent herself from screeching obscenities at whoever did this to him. His own parents. Just as she suspected. Antoinette wanted to cry, it just about broke her heart seeing poor Pippin in this wretched state. There was no way a boy like him deserved to be treated in such a manner - heck, nobody really deserved that treatment, especially not children.

"Oh, Pippin," she said, holding in a sob as she looked at him. "That's definately something to worry about, sweetie. It was not your fault at all, okay?" She knew there was more to it than just that - by the looks of things, a history of violence. Oh, there was no way Pippin could stay with his parents when they weren't letting him learn magic, which he had a right to, and hurting him this badly. "Don't cry," she whispered, gingerly wrapping an arm around him in a very gentle embrace. "I'm not going to sit back and let you keep getting hurt like this, alright?" Antoinette explained, with a weak smile. "I'm going to make sure you go somewhere safe, somewhere you won't get hurt. Now tell me, do you have anyone else you can go to who will take care of you?" she asked, quite seriously. "There is no way you can stay at home when you end up like this. Absolutely no way."

Pippin could no longer hide his shame and anguish, and the tears began to creep out of the corners of his eyes. There was hope in him that someone finally understood, but he didn't know how to explain to Antoinette exactly why he was being punished. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he sobbed, burying his head into his hands and trying to scrub away the tears. Fourteen year old's shouldn't cry like he was crying now. "It's just that ... that mothers are meant to ... to love their children. Mother is supposed to love me, and if she hurts me like this, then ..." sobbed Pippin, reaching behind him to take the dripping sweater and hiding his face. "If she hurts me even though she loves me, that must mean that I'm doing something wrong." His breath hitching, Pippin peeked out from behind the sweater. "Unless she does not love me after all." And that's still my fault, said his mind in despair.

Eventually he managed to get his frightened tears under control and talk to Antoinette audibly. "Ma'am," he said, too ashamed to even say Antoinette's name. "Look at me. I can't run anywhere. If I had any other family that wanted me I'd be far away from this place, anyway. I can't ..." he paused, unable to communicate how very alone he was. "There's nowhere for me to go. I have no power over my life." He felt Antoinette's arms around him, and his face crumpled as he leaned against her. As far as he knew, telling her was only making things worse.

Antoinette felt the tears spilling out of her own eyes, now. Suddenly, her own problems felt extremely insignificant. "Pippin, nothing is your fault, I promise you that," she said, trying desperately to keep her voice steady and even. She wasn't exactly sure what to say about his mother, because there were plenty of things she could have said but felt they were rude or unnessecary. "You're not doing anything wrong, really. She's...well, she's not being a very good person, treating you this way. You don't deserve this kind of treatment." Antoinette was livid. Oh, if she ever met his mother...

His situation seemed very dire, but there was one thing that the woman who raised her - her eldest sister, really - had taught her, and that was this. Every cloud has a silver lining. Antoinette, at the time, had thought that that was stupid and purile, but with the bonus of maturity, Antoinette could see that Pearl had been right. Even in the darkest of hours, there was always a solution, always a light at the end of the tunnel. At this, even through her tears and anger, Antoinette managed to crack a small smile. "Pippin, I'll look after you myself if I have to. I'm not letting you go back home." James most definately owed her, considering his infidelities. Besides, Antoinette had graduated now. She had more freedom and thus had more power over her own life. And, since turning seventeen, had come in to a reasonable amount of money. Not to mention she had Ministry connections. She could get Pippin out of there, she could look after him, and most importantly, see to it that the poor kid got a proper magical education.

Noella Piper was charging down the cobbled street, beady eyes darting from shop to shop on the lookout for a small sandy-haired boy in a wheelchair. Her son was explicitly forbidden from leaving the house that day; after that scene the night before she had quite considered not letting him out at all. He was an ungrateful child, and she wondered exactly how stupid he was to go out in the rain like this. She herself carried an umbrella, for being the squib that she was she could cast no shield charm above her head. Her scrawny, useless son would pay that evening for his little escapade. By the time Noella spotted him, she had power-walked all the way down the lane to the very edges of the trees with her umbrella flicking water into her eyes. "There you are, brat..."

"Your...yourself?"
said Pippin hesitantly, not daring to think it true. "But you're ... well, you're of age, of course, but ... my mother would never consent to anything like that. Besides, Mother and Father need me. They don't have any magic so I must help them." he explained to Antoinette. Little did Pippin know that this was both the biggest lie that his parents had told him, and also the very reason why they treated him so terribly. The squibs were jealous. Pippin was small, weak and barely mobile, but he could cast some amazing spells that his parents couldn't bare to see in the house. He couldn't perform magic in front of them, but he had to use it to help them when they weren't able to see it. It was the only reason that they barely tolerated him.

"But thank you for offer-" began Pippin, before a new sound stopped his heart. 'Clop. Clop. Clop' Those shoes... "Mother..." he whimpered, drawing his arms across his chest. At that moment, he was completely alone again. Antoinette could have been a flower on the path for all he knew. The world was closing in till tunnel vision made him see only the lone figure approaching in the pouring rain till she was right in front of him. Instinctively, he covered his head.

"You little brat," hissed Noella, her sharp nailed fingers darting out to catch a hold of her son's thin wrist that was pressed against himself. With a vicious tug, she pulled him upright to look at her, almost pulling the child out of his wheelchair. She completely ignored Antoinette, as her rage was focused on the child in front of her. "How dare you. Did I not tell you to stay inside today? Filthy squib, you cannot even follow the simplest instructions! When your father gets home-". The boy began to cry for a woman named 'Antoinette', and she raised her hand ...

Antoinette shrugged, she understood the reasoning of course but there was no way she was backing down on this. She'd made up her mind, she was going to look after Pippin and make sure he was away from his family, away from any danger. It was extremely lucky that she happened to be there at that moment, as a woman who was no doubt his mother appeared, making to hit him again. Well, Antoinette wasn't going to have a bar of that.

Now, there was a good reason Antoinette was carrying her umbrella around. Aside from the fact that it was raining, her umbrella was specially designed so that there was a compartment for her wand. Pressing the small button in the base of the umbrella, she discreetly withdrew her wand, hoping she wouldn't need it - although by the looks of it, she would. Especially considering her next move. "Impedimenta," she muttered under her breath, pointing her wand straight at the woman, in order to slow her down. "Come now, ma'am, don't go saying these sorts of things in public. They're hardly becoming." In one fluid movement, she loosened the woman's grip on Pippin, before stepping between the two of them, in order to protect the boy. "Especially from a mother. And I believe you want to get your facts straight. Pippin isn't a filthy squib, in fact, he's quite the talented magician. He would be better, of course, if he wasn't being oppressed by the only filthy squib here, which happens to be you." She breathed heavily, keeping her temper under control for now. She didn't want to cause too much of a scene. Thank God for Memory Charms. She suspected she'd be using one on this woman, at the very least.

Just as soon as the world closed in on him again, it expanded once more. Antoinette was standing between him and his mother, and he wanted to throw his arms around her waist and tremble with terror. Rather, he gripped the wheels of his chair with shaking hands and scooted back a few feet, now that he was free of his mother's clutches. For the first time in months, he saw a spell being cast against another human being, and with morbid fascination he saw the movement of his mother slow to a crawl. It unnerved him more than ever, and he resolved to keep his distance.

Antoinette was ... standing up for him! Pippin did not think he deserved such valour; if anything, he was a boy and he should been between his mother and her. But he knew that this fight was no longer his; he was tired, ill and he had never been able to defend himself from his mother whom he could never turn his wand on. 'Filthy' and 'squib' were probably the worst words that he knew, seeing as they were usually directed at him, and Pippin wanted to clap his hands over his ears. So many bad memories ...

By the time Noella was released from the spell, she was angrier than every. However she was forced to stand back as an extremely beautiful and frightening young woman stood between she and her son. Noella? A squib? How...how dare she! "And who are you who knows oh-so-much about my useless son, here?" she blithered angrily, finally gathering the wit to push past her, aiming straight for Pippin. This time she stood beside him, taking his ear in one hand and pulling. The boy threw up his hands and cried out, but Noella ignored his pathetic sobs. "I am taking my son home now. Stand aside!"

"Your son is not useless," Antoinette stated, finding it harder and harder to keep her voice under control. "How dare you even say that? He's your own son!" Her hands trembling, she gazed right back at the woman, quite fiercely. As far as Antoinette could tell, this woman was barely a mother to Pippin. "Your son is a delightful, kind, and innocent young boy, who doesn't deserve such treatment from his own family, people he trusts!" Indignantly, she clutched her wand tightly, using her self-control to keep from cursing the woman right here and now. Pippin didn't need to see that, and Antoinette could not get away with such behaviour. "He just wanted to make you happy. I had to coax any incriminating information out of him, all because he looked up to you. And this is how you treat him? Lady, you don't deserve to have children."

Shaking her head, Antoinette kept up her fierce gaze. "I will not stand aside. You are not taking him home. Not in a million years. I believe he's had quite enough of your mistreatment. On behalf of the Ministry of Magic," she began, knowing that this wasn't exactly the truth, "I'm taking the boy in to protective custody. He will be properly looked after and properly educated." She felt a rush of power, and perhaps if the moment hadn't been so serious, she might have laughed. Okay, she wasn't acting on behalf of the Ministry, but she was the Minister's daughter, and she was sure her father would back her up if necessary. Though this was something Antoinette wanted to handle on her own.

Pippin had his fists scrunched up against his mouth as he sobbed quietly into his hands. His mothers sharp fingers on his ear hurt far more than they should have; it was at that moment that he realised how much he loathed his mother's touch. It didn't matter whether he deserved his punishments or not; he hated, hated this woman! He now knew what it took to make him hate someone; fourteen years of abuse and neglect would be more than enough for anyone. Pippin hid his face in his hands, unable to look at anyone or anything lest he strike out. He did not notice when his mother dropped his ear to yell obscenities and curses at Antoinette, nor when Antoinette herself threatened the wrath of the very Ministry at his mother. Pippin wanted to die right then and there.

Then ...

Pippin looked up as a crunch of gravel made it through the barrier of anguish. Time slowed as he lifted his tear stained face from his hands to see his mother flying towards Antoinette, her hands outstretched. He didn't hear his own shout, but the feeling of carved wood at his fingertips did register. Someone shouted "Stupefy!" and Pippin found himself with his wand hand outstretched and aimed at his mother. The red lightning struck his mother ... that woman, directly in the back. The air seemed to warp as she fell and hit the cobblestones. A ringing silence. With a shaking hand, Pipping dropped his wand into his lap and gripped the wheels of his chair with both hands. His face was a transparent mask of anguish. "Antoinette? Can I come with you?" said Pippin, tears spilling onto his collar.

Antoinette gaped, looking from Pippin, to the crumpled woman on the floor, then back to Pippin again. Oh, the woman was crazy, and about to attack her (and maybe a couple of bruises would have made nice evidence, should it come to that), when suddenly she was stopped. And by Pippin, of all people.

"Nice stunning, Pippin," Antoinette said, somewhat cheerfully. She was mildly shocked, but she was proud of Pippin for saving her. Oh, he would be a great wizard, she just knew it! Turning back to the woman, Antoinette gave her a look of disgust before muttering "Obliviate." When the woman woke up, she would not remember the fight. Instead, she would recall faceless social service workers giving her a stern talking to and ordering her to hand over her child...which she did. "Aw, sweetie, don't cry! You did a very brave thing just then," she said, a soft smile on her face. "But I definately think it's time to get out of here. I'll take you back to my father's house. He'll help me sort things out, okay?" Sheathing her wand in her umbrella, she took a hold of Pippin's hand. At least her father's place wasn't too far away. She hadn't had much experience with side-along Apparition. Closing her eyes, she focused and the two of them disappeared with a "crack!"

"'Kay," mumbled Pippin, shakily stashing his wand back into his pocket. he didn't look at the fallen form of his mother and winced when Antoinette wiped her memory, gripping the chair with all of his might. "I didn't mean to hurt her," said Pippin in a shell-shocked voice. "Have I hurt her?". Frankly, he didn't want to know. Now that he had an opportunity yo leave and Antoinette had said yes, he forgot the question and clung to her, terrified of being lost in space or whatever happened to those who were left behind in an apparation. He squeezed her hand hard, and though his knuckles were white with strain they did not put much pressure on her hand.

Seconds later, after a horrible constrictive feeling of being sucked into a tube, Pippin found himself on his back as his wheelchair clattered down beside him (thankfully not on him). Both of his hands were now clutched tightly together, and with nervous eyes he looked up at Antoinette. "Heh," said Pippin with a tiny grin. Of course he'd need some help to get himself seated again, but a slow feeling of joy was filling him from navel to nose. He paid no attention to the room around him, even though it was probably the furthest he'd ever been away from home. Bottom lip trembling and with eyes full of hope, he stared up at Antoinette. "You did it."

Relieved that she'd gotten the two of them there safely, Antoinette wrapped her arms around Pippin, before helping him back up. "Hey. I promise you, she'll be okay. I mean, I did sorta alter her memory of the incident a little," she added, sheepishly, "but she's not hurt. If you want, I'll take you back there later to retrieve your things. But for now, let's worry about what we're going to do, okay?" Running a hand through his hair, she quickly excused herself and went off to the kitchen to get a glass of water, an empty cup, and a slab of chocolate, which she placed on a plate. In to the cup, she poured a small amount of the Pepper-Up potion she'd bought just before - trying to ignore the test that was seemingly staring back at her - then took the things back in to the lounge room for Pippin. "Here. Some water, some chocolate - you need to eat - and something to warm you up. I'll be back in a few minutes, I promise." Giving his hand a quick squeeze, she went upstairs to see her father.

After about twenty minutes, everything was set in to action. Her father, though apprehensive at first - especially when considering her behaviour before (although it was justified) - was fairly accepting of Pippin staying with Antoinette. He had noticed how she had matured, lately, and felt that she would honestly be a decent guardian for the boy. Anything would be better than his previous circumstances. And although her living arrangements at the moment weren't the nicest, Antoinette was intending on finding a better place for them all to live. Maybe in the UK, or New Zealand, even. Especially considering the new additions to their family - Pippin, and the probable baby who would be joining them in seven months or so.

It was also decided that Pippin would have to go to school, and Emery would use his influence to get him a place in either Hogwarts Scotland or New Zealand - the latter being quite a plausible option. Antoinette, frankly, couldn't wait to tell Pippin - but she would wait until it was confirmed to tell him the news.
Aside from that, there was not much else to do but look after the boy. Antoinette would definately be taking him to a healer soon, just to make sure he wasn't seriously injured. There was some minor paperwork to be filled, but really, all that required was signatures.

And thus, Antoinette Greenwood became Pippin Piper's guardian.

Now there was just one other issue to sort out, and so it was with nervous apprehension that Antoinette, after checking up on Pippin to see that he was doing alright, and giving him a book to keep him occupied for the moment, took herself to her bathroom to take the test. Minutes passed, agonizingly slow, until the news that she was at once terrified of and yet strangely excited for was revealed.

"Well," she muttered, wiping a stray tear away. "Two children in one day, how about that." Taking a deep breath, she returned to the lounge, giving Pippin a sad, apologetic smile.

"H-hey. How are you doing?" she said, trying to keep a brave face. What if I screw up, for both of them? she was thinking, mildly terrified.

Pippin nodded softly to Antoinette, trying not to hold too hard onto her arms as she placed him back in the chair. She was so kind to him, and it almost brought tears to his eyes again when she came back with a little food and drink. He didn't deserve this, he knew. Just being able to go somewhere else for a change was a blessing, and Pip had no idea what to say to the immense favour that had been bestowed upon him. If only his body was not so weak - he promised himself that he would do everything for her (if she trusted him enough). When Antoinette suggested that they went back later to pick up his things, Pippin shook his head wildly. "There's nothing there that I want." he smiled, leaning down to remove Antoinette's Charm textbook from beneath the wheelchair. His wand and her book was all that was important to him now. Antoinette left, and he hugged the book to himself. Maybe ... maybe Pippin would be alright after all.

It was a very short twenty minutes for Pippin, who chuckled with delight as the chocolate filled him with a delicious warmth that spread throughout his body. He'd never tasted anything like it. Every moment he spent alone, Pippin practiced his magic. So when Antoinette returned, a small collection of objects floated in obit around him, some of which he would poke with his wand to watch. A spoon, a candlestick, an empty chocolate wrapped and a brass button all fell to the floor when she arrived. "Oops! Sorry-" he began, but immediately stopped as he took in Antoinette's face. "Ma'am," he said in awe, the worry line reappearing for the second time that day. "You really do look ill. I'm fine, but what is the matter? Perhaps I can help!" said Pippin eagerly, reaching out with a small hand to take hers.

Antoinette was pleased to see Pippin looking so happy, glad to be practicing magic. That was more than enough of a reward, just to see the boy smiling. She was pleased that she could have done such a good deed for someone, made them happy. And she promised herself that whatever happened, she'd take good care of Pippin so he'd never have to deal with anything like he'd had to back with his parents. He was in her care now. She'd look after him.

"Aw, don't apologise, I'm glad you're having fun," she said with a weak smile, before she heaved a sigh and took Pippin's hand, sitting down next to him. "Well, everything's sorted out. You're going to be living with me now, and I'll take care of you and teach you magic and everything," she smiled, before a stray tear reappeared and she bit her lip, figuring she had to tell somebody the news. She wasn't sure how her father would take it, nor was she sure James would be too happy, so she figured Pippin was the person to tell. "Um. I'm okay, I guess, but..." she took a deep breath. "Pippin...I'm going to have a baby," she blurted out, before her eyes welled up. "I...I guess that means you get to help me look after him or her, be a big brother to them," she said, trying to smile but finding it difficult. I'm only seventeen. I'll be eighteen when they're born. What if I'm a terrible mother? What if James doesn't want me to keep it? What if I fail Pippin? she thought, feeling quite scared.

Pippin let out a soft breath, sitting back into his wheelchair with a look of amazement on his face. The day had started off miserably, turned worse and then became the best day of his entire life. Not only was he permitted to stay, but Antoinette was going to teach him magic. Pippin lifted a hand and brushed away a sandy-blonde bang, now drying with a slight curl to it. "Thank you." he said simply, looking down at his feet and completely unable to express the enormity of his gratitude. Antoinette took his hand, and Pippin looked up with wide, concerned eyes. Reaching out tenderly, he touched Antoinette's cheek with his thumb and wiped away the tear without words, wanting to know so desperately what could make such a strong girl cry.

Why why why was she looking so aggrieved? At the word 'baby', Pippin's entire face lit up like a firefly and his cheeks lifted as he beamed. "Oh, Antoinette! A baby?" Pippin's hands were very expressive since he could not move around a lot, and they began to tremble with excitement. "I'm a ... you think I could be a brother?" his mouth went completely round at this point. Then the questions came all at once. "Antoinette, is it his child? The one you like? Oh, tell me that it is! It would be so wonderful! Are you moving? Would you send him to school? When is it due? Is it a boy or a girl? You'd be such a wonderful mother, oh wow, wow!" he gushed, cheeks going pink with excitement. Oh no, she was crying! Pippin wilted. "Don't you ... want the baby?" He knew what happened to unwanted children now that he understood.

How could she possibly despair when Pippin looked so completely excited? That reason alone made her excited about the possibility of having a little boy or girl to call her own. The only things that worried her were her father's reaction, James' reaction, and the possibility that she would be a terrible mother. She wouldn't run off, like her own mother, or beat the child, like Pippin's, but Antoinette was still a little unsure. She smiled, a little more confidently and happily this time. Everything will be alright, remember.

"Pippin, I think you'd make a wonderful brother," Antoinette said, earnestly. She smiled lightheartedly at the barrage of questions, before reaching over and stroking the boy's hair at the last statement. Of course she wanted the baby. She hadn't expected it - though it was her own fault for not taking proper precautions - but it was a delightful surprise. And she was determined to do the right thing by the baby, just as she was determined to do the right thing by Pippin. "Hey, one question at a time," she joked. "Firstly, yes, it is his child, secondly, I'm hoping to move somewhere more suitable for all of us, thirdly, of course I will, fourthly, I don't quite know, but I'd say I'm about six weeks now, so that makes it about...well, March or so. I have no idea whether it's a boy or a girl." She took a deep breath before answering the last question. "I do want the baby. I'm just worried, that's all. I mean, I'm only going to be eighteen, what if I'm a really bad mother, too young to look after him or her properly? And what if he doesn't want it?" Her hand rubbed against her stomach, amazed that over the next few months, her belly would swell and a baby would grow. Her baby. "I was going to take you to see a healer anyway, just to check up on you and make sure you're okay. I guess I'll have to go now, too." She managed a grin as she lent in to Pippin, slightly. "Hey, you're the first person to know."

All of us, sighed Pippin, his face become cherub-like with utter content. Did he really think that they could be a family? It was too much to hope for. Perhaps he should act more like a hired servant instead for now. That sounded like the proper way to do things while he repaid Antoinette for her kindness. "Boy, I hope Mr Dalton likes me," thought Pippin, not knowing that he had said it out loud. "You know what?" said Pippin, registering that he was saying this openly. "I think he'd be real pleased that you were pregnant, 'cause it's you that's carrying it." he said sincerely, squeezing the hand that was holding his. "I know it's probably not worth much, but you..." Pippin faltered and turned cherry red. He finally caught on to what he had just been about to say, but it was too late. He had to finish his sentence. "You, er. You're ... I mean ... If I had a proper mum, I'd want her to be just like you," he said, lifting his head to give her a tiny smile.

Antoinette spoke of a Healer now, and at this Pippin had to furrow his brow and ask "What's that?". Bizarrely, out of all the things he knew of the wizarding world, this was not one of them. His mother had never taken him to a Healer's, even for a disease ward (vaccination). He had a sneaking suspicion that his current wheelchair was muggle-made and once belonged to a now dead person. "If it's got anything to do with the bruises, I'm fine." he explained, hoping that she would believe him. Pippin knew better than to lie to Antoinette now, and changed the subject quickly to something he really wanted to do. "Can we go an meet Mr. Dalton?"

"I'm sure he will. I'll make sure he does," she smirked, grinning. The words he offered warmed Antoinette's heart considerably, and all she could do was really mutter a "thank you," as she looked down at her shoes. "You're too sweet, really," she added, with a soft chuckle, before stopping to look pensieve at his reaction. "A healer is like a doctor," she explained. "A wizarding doctor, I guess. They look after you when you get sick and give you spells and potions to make you better. And I know you might not need any of that, but I want them to take a look at you, just to make sure, alright?" she said, with a smile. "I'll have to go anyway. I guess I'll have to go to the healers a lot over the next few months," Antoinette mused, smiling softly.

"Well, I don't see why we can't. Alright, hold on tight, the place isn't hooked up to the Floo network so we'll have to apparate again..." and with a crack, they were gone, reappearing by the small shack in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back