Sophia and Professor King

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia had gotten a note from Professor King and walked to the Seventh Floor Corridor, her overladen bag slung over her shoulder. She knew how to conjure the Room of Requirements, but was not entirely sure what the room should look like. With no other ideas, Sophia stood in the corridor and waited for Professor King.

Professor King arrived a little after Sophia and noticed she had not yet conjured the room, annoyed slightly by this but decidoing he best not waste any more time he paced by it three times, each time focusing on what they needed. 'A room to practise magic, where noone can enter without permission, and enough enchanted dummies to train a squadron of aurors' was what he specified. Then on the third time passing a door appeared, turning now to Sophia he spoke, "I presume you have your wand...?"

Sophia watched with interest as Professor King walked past the wall, conjuring a door. Stepping toward the door, Sophia smirked toward Professor King. "Why no, Professor. I thought we were learning wandless magic today." She hoped he would not be angry with her for the statement, but she was in a rather good mood and could not resist.

"Quite clever Ms. Stark, sorting hat didn't go wrong with you, that's for sure." Professor King remarked as he opened the door and motioned for her to enter before he. "Perhaps theory is the way to go today as you have decided you don't need your wand." he stated with a wink.

With a playful sigh and roll of her golden eyes, Sophia looked to Professor King as she walked through the door he had opened for her. "I always carry my wand on me Professor King. Although I would prefer a practical lesson, I am willing to learn anything you see fit to teach me." Once she had finished speaking, Sophia stepped forward into the room and looked around.

There was a large bookshelf containing books on everything from Disillusionment to protective spells against the wall the door was on to Sophia's right. Before her was an open room with enchanted dummies littered about and some mattresses on the floor at the far end.

Entering the room Professor King looked around and shut the door behind him as he did so. The room disappointed him, the last time he had been here the enchanted dummies were set up, but that didn't matter, with a swish of his wand they were again.

"So, Ms. Stark, you would prefer a practical lesson today, would you?" he asked rhetorically as he walkked over to the bookshelf and skimmed through the titles, at least impressed by this. "In that case, we will begin you with two shielding spells, simple enough, some of your classmates know them already." he explained further as began to fiddle with his wand. "Your first spell is Protego Horriblus" he told her with a smirk, "It protects against the darkest of magic." he clarified. "Same form as any other spell, try it now."

Sophia walked to a table near the bookshelf and set her bag upon it. Walking back to the center of the room, she withdrew her wand from her pocket and waited for instructions.

"Protego Horriblus" she repeated under her breath, mentally preparing herself to cast the spell. After taking a deep breath in, she released it and flourished her wand while encanting "Protego Horriblus!" Sophia looked around, searching for the barrier that she could feel surrounding her.

Noticing Sophia loking around Professor King shook his head, "No, no you won't see it, do you feel it there?" he inquired as he prepared to shoot a spell at her.

"Yes, I feel something," Sophia stated simply, waiting for further instruction.

"Good..." Professor King stated simply as he turned and flourished his wand in her directio and a red bolt of light shot towards her, granted it was not a dark spell, but the only one he was comfortable shooting at her currently.

Sophia's eyes widened in fear as the red bolt came streaming toward her. Luckily, her shield had worked and the spell bounced off of it, disappearing into a wall.

Regaining her posture and blank look, Sophia looked to Professor King, waiting for instruction.

"Finite." Professor King stated to remove Sophia's barrier, "Now the last defensive spell of the evening." he stated, "Protego Totalum, will protect you from basically everything if you practise it enough, tonight you'll learn to cast it, mastery will be on your own time." he explained, "Try it now."

"Protego Totalum" Sophia repeated under her breath, mentally preparing herself to cast the spell. After taking a deep breath in, she released it and flourished her wand while encanting "Protego Totalum!" Once again Sophia felt the barrier surrounding her, but could not see it. "I feel a barrier Professor."

"Good." was his only response as he flicked his wand towards the bookshelf and pointed it towards Sophia, immeadiatly a book came hurtling towards her. Hoping her barrier would hold, Professor King waited.

More prepared this time, Sophia held up her wand as the book came hurtling toward her, prepared to shield herself should her shield fail. The book stopped several inches short of Sophia's face and stopped shakily, dropping to the floor.

With a sigh of relief Sophia turned to Professor King. "If that is all for defensive spells, are we moving to offensive spells?" she asked, very much hoping the answer was yes.

Professor King smiled slightly, "That is correct Ms. Stark, you are going to be ractising Offensive spells now, we will start with spells you alreay know and I will show you how to improve on them." he stated bluntly, "First off, Incendio, would you please set that dummy alight?" he inquired with a smirk and a vague hand wave towards the dummies

Sophia turned her golden eyes toward the dummy, enjoying the prospect of lighting it on fire. Her thoughts then switched to lighting fire with her eyes, but she knew she would not be able to. Shaking the thoughts from her head, Sophia pointed her wand at the dummy, recalling when she had lit a board on fire to fight off Bellatrix. "Incendio!" she yelled with a flourish of her wand, the dummie's head instantly aflame.

She turned to Professor King with a smirk. "That is one of my favorite spells to cast. How can I improve it?" she asked with intrigued curiousity.

"Some spells, are better calm, while others when filled with emotion." Professor King pointed out, "I'd like to bieleve, in order to better conjure fire you must be filled with emotion, anger would work although it would be hard to control, whatever you choose, ensure you will be able to control it and it is powerful." he paused for a moment and then finished with, "Now try it."

Sophia drank in the Professor's words, going over them in her head. A powerful emotion? Surely angry will work best. Despite what the Professor had said about anger, Sophia decided it would be the best emotion for her to use.

Staring intensely at the doll, Sophia began to think on things that would anger her. A vision of her father, staring at her with his golden eyes as he pointed his wand at her throat. Anger flared up inside of her, just as it had in the daydream. With a snarl she yelled "incendio!" flourishing her wand toward the dummy.

In a brilliant flash of red light, the entire dummy erupted into violent flames. Sophia lowered her wand, an evil smirk coming across her lips as she surveyed the result of her spell.

Professor King was inwardly impressed with Sophia's display, but would not sure her this now, "Your anger shows on you face and through your magic." Professor King pointed out. "You got lucky as your spell hit your target, but did you notice how quickly it burnt out?" he finished, "While I suppose that is much better then before I am sure you can reach the next level." he stated with confidance.

Sophia watched the flames die and turned to the Professor wearing a cold expression, still slightly angry inside. Her anger died just as the flames when he said she could reach the next level. "Professor, if you do not believe anger to be the best emotion, then what emotions might you suggest?"

"I don't know, what emotion do you feel the strongest about or more likely with besides anger?" he inquired as he took a seat to talk.

Sophia considered this question for a few moments, musing over her emotions in her mind. Anger was certainly the one she felt most often, and most intensely. "Would determination be considered an emotion?" Sophia hoped that this would not be a stupid question to ask, but she was drawing a blank.

"No, I do not believe it would be..." Professor King stated as he laughed inwardly, "Perhaps you may stick with anger, simply ensure you control it and not it you."

Hoping she grasped this concept he turned to a dummy and set it ablaze, "Put out the fire please." he requested calmly hoping to have a peak at her ability in the spell that was the exact opposite of her favourite.

Sophia frowned slightly. She had been looking forward to more fire. Turning to the dummy, Sophia decided to use her disappointment and turn it to anger. She let the anger swell inside of her for a few moments, her eyes becoming determined. "Aguamenti!" she yelled with a flourish of her wand toward the dummy. A stream of water burst from Sophia's wand and she aimed it at the dummy, holding the spell until the fire was out.

Sophia lowered her wand and looked at Professor King, not precisely happy with the result. "I do not believe anger works as well for water as it does for fire Professor."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back