OOC First Name
Seongjun
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Wand
Knotted 9 Inch Flexible Fir Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
Takano walked into the Great Hall, making sure the girl she had just met in the courtyard had followed her. She was proud of herself that she had thought of the Great Hall. There was a fireplace here, how could she forget? Now she could help the girl dry her parchment paper.

She gestured to the girl to sit with her at the Gryffindor table. "It's fine you can sit here with me. Also, I'm Takano." she said to the girl with a friendly smile. "And this is...Udon," she added, patting the cat beside her. "She can be very stubborn sometimes, but I swear she's very nice."

@Synnove White
[ Godmod approved! ]

Last edited:
Synnove was pleased someone knew their way around the castle. Even with a map, the Hufflepuff was completely hopeless. Her appalling sense of direction was another thing she had in common with her aunt, Uncle Regius said, which was funny given that they weren't really related. Synnove didn't think it was funny. She felt strange just thinking about it...

The great hall was warm and hummed with the echo of chatter as it rose into the candle-lit heights above. A fire roared in the enormous hearth behind the Gryffindor table. Synnove hesitated, until Takano told her she could sit down. "I'm Synnove. I'd love a cat. I brought me dad's owl... He's all right - not very cuddly." She grinned, offering her hand for Udon to sniff. "Where does the name Udon come from?"

Takano scanned the table, a teapot catching her eye. Stretching her arm out to get the teapot, she turned over and looked at her new friend. "Would you perhaps like a cup?" she asked, pouring herself one. "Also - your name is so pretty! I don't think I've heard it before." Takano said with amazement. Then again, she was only used to hearing Japanese names.

"Owl's actually...scare me a little," Takano confessed, turning pink. "Actually do all birds. I don't know why though, maybe it's because they fly and sometimes they fly accidentally into you." she explained, remembering an owl incident she had encountered as a kid. And you mentioned you write a lot of letters, do you have many relatives?" Takano didn't have many relatives, she wondered how it would be like being from a large one instead.

"You can pat her, she's very friendly. Oh, and Udon is the name of my favourite noodle, back home. It's a type of thick wheat noodle? If my mum sends me any, I can let you try some!"
she replied enthusiastically, her mouth starting to water as she thought of her mums homemade udon. They usually made their udon from scratch. A process Takano enjoyed very much.

Synnove shook her head and told Takano she didn’t really like tea. ”Oh, thank you,” she said warmly. ”It was me aunt’s name." Anyone who had known her aunt always remarked that Synnove was very lucky to have inherited her name. Not only because it was beautiful - and with a meaning like 'sun gift', it certainly was - but because her aunt had a special place in the family's heart. The kindest witch they had ever met, they said. A beautiful soul. Sometimes, Synnove wished she had met her. Sometimes, she was relieved she never would.

She looked at Takano with surprise, then started to laugh. "But you like cats, though. That's funny. Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, it's just - your cat flew right into me!" Thank goodness Udon didn't have wings; she'd caused enough trouble with her paws on the ground. Synnove nodded. "Between me dads, I've got... six uncles and aunts, and most of them've got kids, too. What about you? What's your family like?"

Gently, Synnove buried her fingers into Udon's soft fur. The cat began to purr appreciatively. It was inaudible over the chatter of the hall, but Synnove could feel the vibration under her fingertips, and for a moment she imagined she heard a low, happy rumble... "Really?" she said, coming back to the table. "That's so kind. Thank you."

Takano sipped some tea from her cup and nodded, attentively listening to Synnove while the girl explained the origin of her name. Many people from other cultures liked naming their children after their other relatives. This concept seemed very foreign to her, and yet it was very fascinating. It wasn't very common in the Japanese culture.

Takano laughed when she realised that Udon indeed did 'fly' towards Synnove earlier. "Oh yeah, that's true. But birds well, they fly into your face. That's the scary part," she replied, trying her best not to tear up from laughing so much. She tried to imagine Udon with wings like an owl, and it made her laugh even more. Udon was heavy enough, would he be able to fly even with wings?

"Wow..six? That's a lot!" Takano was impressed. It explained the amount of parchment paper her new friend had with her. Did Synnove have to write to each relative in her family? "I've only two pairs of aunts and uncles. And three cousins." Takano explained. "I have a younger brother, he's five. I don't really write to my family though, I'm not very good with words. Maybe you could teach me?" she asked with a hopeful smile.

"Yes! Good food has to be shared right?" she replied, excited that she could share Japanese food with Synnove. "Have you tried raw fish by any chance?" she asked curiously.

Personally Synnove thought you were more likely to be seriously hurt by a cat than a bird, but everybody had their fears. "I'm scared of centipedes," she offered, so that Takano might feel better, but it sounded so ridiculous spoken aloud that she had to cover her mouth to contain a snort.

She had said six, but in her head she had been thinking seven. Really, if she were including Auntie Synnove, it would have been eight, but to her shame she often forgot include her in her mental family portrait. Maybe it was because she only had photos by which to imagine her. Uncle Greg, on the other hand... He was still as real in her mind as he had been in the flesh. The memories of him were carved into her, and when she ran her fingers along the grooves they were as deep as they had been when she was nine. "I've got a younger brother, too - he's seven," Synnove said, pulling a face. She was sure James was the most obnoxious little brother in the entire world, though she wouldn't have traded him for anyone. She lit up at Takano's request for help. "Yeah! Of course. I'm sure you're not bad, though, really - don't be hard on yourself. Can you speak more than one language? I can't."

"Do you mean sashimi?"
She hadn't meant to wrinkle her nose as she said it. Takano probably thought she was very rude! "I have tried it, and I didn't really like it. But everyone else in my family does," she added in a hurry. "I would try it again. It was just the texture..."

Takano shivered in fear as Synnove told her about centipedes. She hated insects of all kinds, and centipedes were one of them. She nodded at the girl, fully understanding how scary they were. "Centipedes are...super creepy" Takano replied, agreeing with the girl. Thinking of them made her shudder.

She thought about her relatives back in Japan, and realised how much she missed them. Takano would only be able to see them at the term break, but that was probably months away. Adapting to her new school was definitely a challenge, as she was used to living in an Asian environment. The food the school fed her was yummy, but how she longed for a bowl of steaming Japanese rice, and perhaps some eel or yakitori (chicken skewers) to go with it? Even some wasabi would be great. Her uncle Hazuki made the best eel rice bowls, and she missed his food terribly.

"We both have younger brothers!" Takano replied, surprised at the coincidence. "My brother is so sweet but he can be super annoying! He drives me insane." she added, thinking about Taiki. "Are you and your brother close?" she asked. "Yes I can, I speak both Japanese and English. I can teach you some Japanese, in exchange for learning how to write well from you?" Takano responded excitedly, clapping her hands. She had never taught someone her mother tongue before, so it was going to be fun.

She nodded when Synnove asked if she meant sashimi earlier. Takano was impressed at how the girl knew the Japanese name of the raw fish dish. Takano laughed as she watched Synnove wrinkle her nose.
"Don't worry I understand, I used to think it was gross as a child, but I've grown fond of it lately. It's the slimy texture right?" she continued, still laughing.

[ OOC: So sorry for the late reply!! Been busy with Lunar New Year preparations. Happy year of the Ox! ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back