Skimming Stones

Sam Prince

OOC First Name
Louise
Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
Sam sat on the grass so close to the lake he could feel the last bit of heat coming off it. It was Autumn and there was an extremely "autumny feel" about the whole place. He held his Quidditch Magazine he had subscribed to, he only got around to reading it now. As a gentle breeze passed the air, but it was a warm breeze. He shrugged and put his magazine aside and picked up the odd stone under the shallow part of the lake. Hardly anyone was in sight and he lightly skimmed the stones on the water.

Up in the Slytherin common room, Toni sat looking at the fire place. Bored out of her mind she was. Finally Toni decided that she was going to go out and do something. Getting up she walked out of the Slytherin common room, and out to the lakefront.

Right away she noticed someone skipping a stone. It was Sam. Toni just knew it was right away. "Hey" Toni said smiling brightly as if her whole mood changed seeing Sam. Toni walked over to him her slytherin uniform being worn. "Skipping stones?" Toni asked.

Libby was wondering around, thinking of a new plot for her story, when she saw sam sitting alone by the lake. Prehaps i should go and introduce myself properly to him, she thought to herself. She walked over to him, smiling. "Hi. Im Libby. Ive seen you around. Mind if i join you?" she asked politly.

Sam turned around when he heard someones voice, no not someones, Toni's. "Hey Toni!" he smiled up to her, "Yeah, change of plans." he nodded his head back to his quidditch paper. "By the way your getting quite good at the whole stalker thing." he teased and skipped another stone into the lake.

Then another girl that he had come to know as Libby, "Oh hey Libby. Sure. This is Toni by the way." he said introducing her. He gave Toni a quick smile.

Larissa was thinking about her first potions lesson.
What if she was awful at it?
Suddenly she noticed her friend, Libby, by the lake front.
"Hi," Larissa said, "Mind if I join? I'll only be reading" She smiled

Libby glared at Toni, "yes, i know her" she said coldly. She turned her attention back to sam. "What you thinking of hogwarts?" she asked,

Toni looked at the Quidditch paper. "That seems like more of something you would do" Toni said smiling. "And yes of coarse I am getting good. I've learned from the best" Toni said a small laugh escaping her lips.

Though when Toni noticed another girl come up, she recognized her right away. God Toni thought figuring that it was just her luck to be stuck with this girl who right away Toni found a dislike for.

Then without much notice Larissa showed up. "Hey Larissa" Toni said dismissing the fact that Libby was there though hoping it wouldn't be obvious. Though at least she didn't comment on Libby's attitude.

Although Libby had never said a word to Toni, it was obvious Toni hated her and had humilliated her last time they saw each other.

"Sure you can Larissa" Libby smiled, and started chatting to her. "Darren sits next to me in History of Magic." Libby blushed a little. "He's gone to the great hall, but i should be meeting him later" (ie: dina lol)

Sam was soon surronded by girls but that thought didn't stop him frim noticing the cold voice she gave Toni. Toni was his best friend and more but he wouldn't get involved and besides Toni seemed to behaving herself. Which he was proud of. "Sure, sure." he said to the new girl, "I'm Sam by the way." he then turned to Libby, "Yeah its great, much peacefuler than London." He laughed not knowing if Peacefuler was even a word.

At the sound of Darren's name, Larissa rolled her eyes and let her attention wander elsewhere.

Toni was tempted to roll her eyes when Libby began to talk about Darren. Though she was smart enough to not roll her eyes. Though when Sam said it was more peacefuler Toni let out a small laugh.

"Peacefuler" Toni said looking at Sam with a smile on her face. "Nice vocabulary you've got there" She said reaching over and grabbing Sam's hand, swinging it once more twice.

Larissa nodded in the right places of Libby's sentence, hoping she wouldn't notice that Larissa was watching an owl flying over head.

Libby laughed with Sam, "Yes, much more peaceful" she stuck her tongue out at him. Larissa didnt seem to want to talk about Darren so she changed the subject. "You had today off didnt you? But you your first potions tomorow? Who's your teacher?"

"No idea," said Larissa, opening the book on Magical Drafts and Potions she'd borrowed from the library.
"Probably some grumpy old- OH!" Larissa squeeled suddenly, "I just remembered- It's my brother's birthday!"

Libby giggled at the fact larissa had forgotten her brothers birthday. "Is he still in St. Mungo's?" she asked. "We should go and visit him."

Larissa sighed, "We can't, he's been moved to a 'safer' section until next week.." Larissa peered down at her book; "Yum," She said sarcastically, "Armadillo Bile."

Sam wasn't listening to the two girls chatting above him, he really should have been listening but how could he when the most beautiful person he ever met was standing in front of him. He tried to catch Toni's gaze not wanting to interrupt the girls talk. Once he found her gaze he patted the grass beside him for her to join him.

Toni couldn't believe how these two just talked and talk. Toni was tempted to interupt them but instead she decided to be nice. Gosh why did she have the urge to be decent when Sam was around. Like she always wanted to prove she wasn't what everyone said.

Finally Toni looked over and caught Sam's gaze. She watched as he patted the grass next to him. Smiling she sat down right beside him. Staring out toward the lake. "Not as beautiful as our spot but still very nice" Toni said smiling.

Sam moved in closer when she sat down beside him, "Well, it is hard to find a place more beautiful." he said in a low voice. He looked at Toni, the lake reflecting subtley in his eyes. "Have you tried this?" he asked her picking up a stone from his smal pile. I used to be rubbish at it but I seem to be getting the hang of it.." he said proudly. He handed her the small stone and he curved her fingers around it. He held his hands there so he was almost holding her hands but the stone was in between.

"Very true" Toni said an image of their spot appearing in her head. "But you know I think that is a good thing" Toni said thinking that she would only want their place to have that sort of beauty.

Toni shook her head her blonde hair moving slightly though once done it framed her face once more. "No I've never even tried" Toni said knowing that it must sound silly. How many eleven year olds hadn't tried skipping a stone? Well there was at least one.

As Toni felt the stone in her hand she wondered if she took would be awful at it. Though the cold of the stone and the warmth of Sam's hand was a nice contrast. "Do I just throw it?" Toni asked a small laugh at how stupid the question was escaped her mouth.

Sam snodded, "Thats okay." he said reassurignly. "Okay what you do is..you kinda just scoop down your hand, almost like a dip." he said demonstrating with his hand. "Now, once you got that done just give your hand a quick flick and with a bit of practise it should turn out okay.." Sam then tried it and his stone hopped three times before falling into the water. "Try it!" he entuaised.

Toni smiled slightly as Sam showed her how to do it. It didn't seem hard but nothing ever did. Once you tried it you always learned how hard it really was. Just like flying, skating, and now skipping stones.

"Ok" Toni said still a bit unsure. Toni tried to do the same motion that Sam had done. Once she let go of the stone it hit the water and sunk right away. Laughing a small bit she turned to him "Does that at least count as one" She asked.

Sam smiled kindly to her, "Erm..of coarse it does." he winked at her. "Okay let me help you." he chuckled quietly. He picked up another stone and put it in her hand, once more he curled her fingers around the stone and his hand over hers. He looked at her before saying, "When I say Let Go, you let go okay?"

Sam moved her arm up higher and brought it down almost in a slope before he shouted, "Let go!" he let go of her hand quickly and looked at the lake for the result.

Toni let out a small laugh "Thanks. Well I guess it had to count as one. At least I didn't miss the lake entirely" Toni said knowing that she could probably do that too. Now that would have been awful, worse than only getting the stone to sink.

"Much better" Toni said as Sam's hand went to help her. "Ok" Toni said when Sam told her what to do. She smiled hoping that this wouldn't be a hopeless attempt. As Sam and Toni's arm moved together Toni wanted for the signal.

When he said let go, Toni let go of the stone as it hit the water not once but twice. "Now I did it" Toni said smiling brightly "We did it" She said turning to Sam. "Though I doubt I would be a pro at this any time soon" Toni said smiling.

Sam beamed that Toni had suceeded. "Well done!" he hugged her tightly. "That was awesome! It took me days to learn it..." he said quietly. "Well as they always say, you learn something new everyday." he winked, his granddad always said things like that. But he never really took them seriously. "So how have you been?" he asked her putting his arm around her shoulders, it felt like he hadn't seen her in so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back