Sketching

Kate Johnson

Wand
Holly wand, 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Kate grabbed her jumper and her drawing book and left the common room. It was getting noisy in there and rather unpeacful. All Kate wanted was to sit down and get on with some more sketching. She picked up her pencils and made her way to the lawn. It was winter outside but still sunny and there was no wind to carry the cold. She snuggled up in her big hoodie and found a sweet flower which she decided she would like to draw. Starting with the grass, she flicked her pencil up, down and across the page to capture the background. She was wearing some new jeans and a pink hoodie, saying SUB. She couldn't remeber where she got it but it was warm and fitted her like a glove. Hoping someone would join her she started sketching the stem.

Sam threw on a pair of jeans and his jacket, he just wanted to go for a walk. He had been helping some of the boys hang up christmas decorations in their dorm, it was a competition between the other first year girls. But Sam's head was spinning, putting them up took a lot out of him.

He saw Kate with a sketch pad he snuck up behind her then jumped in front of her, "Okay draw." Sam put on pose and held it for a few seconds before dropping it and sitting down beside her, "Hey." he smiled.

Kate smiled at Sam as he joined her. "Hey!" She said thoughtfully as she continued with the stroking of the pencil. "I will draw you when i have finished." She said without moving her head to look at him. She finished the quick sketch and looked up. "So why are you here then?" She asked him as she adjusted some parts and then held it up to him. "Do you like it?" She asked nervously. http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/Oceancalm/?action=view&current=lilywee.jpg She waited for his reply and pulled it out of her sketch book. Some of her other pictures also fell out and she scabbled around picking them up. "So, hows you then?" She asked him as she patted the ground next to her to indicate for him to sit.

Sam shrugged, "The dorm is a little noisey as is the common room." He didn't mind being out here, in fact he liked it. "What about you--" Kate had shown him her picture. "Kate...that is awesome!" Sam said bending down to look at it more closely, "Thats incredible." Sam wished he was more creative like that.

He helped her pick up some of her sketches which we're also amazing. He looked at them before giving them back to herwith a small sheepish smile. "I'm good thanks..I'm just glad the exams are over. What about you?" he asked before sitting next to her.

Kate blushed when Sam encouraged her work. "Thanks, it is not much. You can have it if you want." She added and pushed it into his lap. "Nothing much, just i like to draw things like the scenery. One morning this week, i think it was Tuesday, i got up and came out for sunset. I drew this." She said as she fingered through some drawings. ((I couldn't find an exact one of New Zealand so can you just imagine that this is what the hills look like!)) She found it and handed it to him. It had the little shed of the wood stores in it but apart from that is was just pure scenery. Image She waited till he looked at it and then continued the conversation. "I just came here for some peace and quiet and to draw. It was to stuffy in the common room and i got bored. I am also glad the exams are over. What are you doing for Christmas break then?" She asked him.

Sam smiled, "Thanks...if your sure though." Sam said kindly to her, he didn't want to get it if she really didn't want him to have it. "Yeah that was is just like the rest...out of this world!" Sam nudged her, "Hey you should enter in competitions with this or even persue this as a career." he laughed to be thinking that far ahead. But she did always have it as an option. "Well sorry to have wrecked your peace and quiet." he apoligised guilitly, "Well I've decided to stay here over Christmas what abou yourself?" He knew many people were going home so the castle would be very quiet.

Kate smiled and took the picture back. "No problem. It is nice to have some company for a little bit!" She smiled again to show him that she didn't mind the company. "I am going to Pat's with Nat Bell for the holidays." She replied. "I am sure you will have fun here!" She added when he said her was staying here.

"I am not sure i really want to pursue this as a career just yet, i mean i think it is good but i enjoy sketching as a way of relaxing and getting out of the world to think and look into what i am drawing. Like this flower," She pointed to the flower she had just drawn. "It is so pretty here and fits in but if it wasn't there, no one would notice. However, it has brought me pleasure to draw it and so has done some good." She finished, hoping Sam would understand. "Basically, there is more to a book than its cover." She explained quickly.

Hollie wandered out onto the lawn, incredibly bored for someone who had so much to do. However, on this lovely day she really didn't feel like guitar practise or writing. She was much too restless, and was actually looking for some company.

Shivering, she increased her pace, pulling her thick hoodie tighter around her. She was exceptionally glad she'd worn it - today may be sunny but it was also freezing!

It was then that she noticed two figures in conversation towards the far end of the lawn, and, desperate for company, Hollie made her way over. On closer inspection, she noticed it was Kate, and a fit-looking guy she knew to be Sam. Blushing, she again thanked herself for making an effort with her hair that day. It sounded ridiculous, she knew, but she was an ordinary teenage girl, so it didn't really matter.

"Hey guys," she said, drawing closer. "You mind if I join, or is this private?" She suddenly caught sight of the sketch pad in Kate's hand. "Oh my gosh Kate, you mentioned that you drew, but you never showed me a sketch. Can I see?" she moved closer. "And don't forget my request that you draw me, and then I can compare it to Harri's portrait of me!"

"Yeah I guess your right." Sam said smiling down at the sketches. He still couldn't get over the sketches they were really good. Sam looked up when he heard a voice, it was a girl he recognised but had never met before. "Hi there. No this isn't private." Sam said to her his thick british accent audible. "I'm Sam by the way." he added to her before she began to gaze at Kates drawings. She seemed to know Harri too, Sam never knew Harri could draw. But he said nothing just loked at Kates sketches again.

((Hollie! :hug: ))

Kate smiled and nodded with Sam. "Yeh." She finished absentmindedly. At first she didn't realise when Hollie came along but simply continued looking and adding to the flower sketch. "Oh hey Hollie! No it isn't private!" She replied like Sam. "Ok then, lets see if you stand there." She added to Hollie's request for a sketch. Jumping up she postitioned her infront of the sunlight to make it easier to capture the shading. "Sam i can do you in a minute if you can stand still." She said thoughtfully as she moved Hollie to the left a little. "Perfect!" She sat down again and chose a blunt pencil for the background. Scribbling away she patiently looked up and down again and again hoping that Hollie would be patient with her.

((I can't find an image of Amanda Bynes sketched so when i show you guys you will have to use your imagination! ;) ))

((lol, ok. My imagination isn't too bad :p ))

Hollie blushed again when Sam spoke to her, cheeks flaming red. He was a year younger, as well. Haah. And... he was British! Another one! Hollie didn't know many fellow Britons in the school, so it always came as a nice surprise when she recognised the familiar accent.
"hey, I'm Hollie," she said, in response to his brief intro, flushing tomato red again. Ahhhh, she was never usually like this!

Hollie was taken aback when Kate positioned her for drawing.
"Oh my gosh, I didn't mean now!" she said, amazed. "But that's fine, you draw me. I was thinking of setting a compo up with you and Harri, anyways. She gave me this gorgeous drawing of myself with my guitar for Christmas, you have to see it. It's like, woah. So professional. I'm gonna compare them, and then give both of you feedback, which should be pretty interesting; I've never drawn more than a stick person in my life." She stopped with the ridiculous waffling and caught sight of the sketch Sam was looking at. "Wow Kate, you really can draw!" she said, amazed. "Not that I doubted that," she added, hastily. She was always digging herself holes.
"So Sam, do you draw?" she asked, not wanting to exclude the first year from their conversation, especially as he'd been there first. "Or are you amateur like me?"

Sam watched Kate draw the girl, it was really good, it looked extremely like her. "Ooh I'll be looking forward to this" Sam smiled as Kate said that she'd draw him. He'd never been drawn before. Sam didn't notice the girl blush, he wasn't wasn't very good at picking up these things. She introuced herself as Hollie, he smiled and said, "Pleasure to meet you."

"I didn't know Harri could draw." Sam said thoughtfully, as he watched Kate continue to draw Hollie. He laughed a soft chuckle when she said she could only draw stick me, he nodded and said. "Yeah...well actually I am a good three ranks below amatuar." He smirked, Sam couldn't draw at all. "But I play guitar...I'm pressumng you do aswell." Sam added.

Hollie grinned. "And you," she said, blushing again. Oh this was really not fair. Hopefully he didn't notice.
"Yeh, Harri's an artist in the making. Well actually, not really in the making, she's already there." She was waffling again. "How do you know her?" she wondered whether Harri had helped the first year out in some way. Harri looked after practically everyone in the school, she was so nice that way.

She laughed with Sam about the stick men. "I doubt there are three ranks lower than me!" she said, smirking. "My drawings probably don't even count as art, unless you're looking for a page of random pencil lines." But she knew what he meant. "You play guitar? Awesome... yeah I do. I don't practise much though. Harri drew me with my guitar in the attempt to get me to practise more... she is my chief motivator." Hollie laughed as she thought back to the time when Harri had made her 'perform' on a one-to-one. "So what type of guitar d'ya play? And what sort of stuff?" she wondered, knowing full well if the question was returned, she'd waffle. Again. "And did you ever do any grades?"

Not wanting to leave Kate out, she turned to her friend, trying not to move her head too much. "You play violin, right Kate?" she asked, smiling. Kate was amazing on the violin.

[[sorry for the essay :p ]]

"We met in the gardens. She helped me out a lot with the whole dancing scene for the ball." Sam said. Sam ruffled hs hair quickly and continued to watch Kate draw then gave a few glances to Hollie. "Aww thats a pity. You should practice sometime, maybe we could have a jam session." he said laughing a bit but still serious. "Well I play mostly muggle songs, alternative stuff." Sam shrugged him and Jenn played songs together regulary. "Oh I play acoustic but I also play bass. But unfortunately couldn't bring it with me." Due to the whole 'electric' thing in the school he couldn't bring his iPod. "Nah I taught myself. Woah Kate you play violon?" Sam asked.

Hollie grinned. "Yeah Harri helps a lot of people," she said, smiling as she thought of her good-hearted friend. "Who dya go to the ball with?" She kept her tone light, no curiousity implied.

Laughing, she nodded. "Yeah, defo. And get a few others to sing, I dunno. And Kate can play her violin."
She was surprised how much in common she had with Sam about the guitar. "I play acoustic too!" she said, surprised. "But not Bass. I never got the hang of it. I bought my acoustic with me, actually. It's so annoying that I couldn't bring a music player, cause i have to practise solo. That's why I hardly practise - I used to play LOADS before HNZ. It's because of the annoying 'no electricity' type thing." She rolled her eyes. "I s'pect that's why you didn't bring your bass? And wow, I taught myself... kinda. My brother had lessons, said they were a rip off, and taught me the basics. I went on myself from there." She turned towards Kate, who had been quite quiet. "You ok there? How am I looking?" she struck the pose again, this time for emphasis and enthusiasm involved.

"Oh I went with Jenn, shes a fellow hufflepuff." Sam smiled, "Did you go?" He asked her. "Yes! I know thats how I feel. The no electricity really bums it out." Sam said with a short laugh. "Why we have a good bit in common. " He said. Really they did, especially with the whole giutar thing. Sam turned to Kate when Hollie asked if she was alright. "She's just deep in concentration." he said lazily leaning back on his elbows.

Hollie smiled. "Urm yeah, but not with anybody really. I mean, just a big bunch of us girls, really. Kate-" she nodded towards her friend sat sketching "- and Pat, and a few others. It was fun." She smiled, remembering the night well. "And a good excuse for a new outfit!" She laughed.
Hollie's eyes widened when she realised that Sam felt the same way about the whole electricity stuff and guitars. She laughed at his next comment about what they had in common - it was so true!
Hollie smiled and turned towards Kate. "Hey um Kate, do you mind if I just relax for a fraction of a sec? I'm gettin' kinda stiff!"

((I am sorry guys! I forgot about this topic and i haven't been on much. I have also been like really busy on the lessons!))

Kate smiled and nodded and Sam when he asked about the violin. "Yeh i do." She murmered and kept drawing quickly. She half listened to the music and yule ball conversations but only jabbed in when Hollie asked her if she could relax. "Just wait one moment." She said as she flicked her pencil around and looked up a final time." Yeh you can now. Sorry for taking so long." She handed to picture to Hollie quickly and concentrated on the ground hoping for not too much attention.

((Guys the picture has been sketched on the computer so it doesn't look much like pencil but use your imagination!))

random2ee.jpg

Kate looked up finally and waited. "Harri's is probably better but i can do another one if you want." She finished quickly.

[Thats okay with me]

Sam watched Kate give the sketch to Hollie. "Oh I want to see." Sam got up and stood beside Hollie. His eyes widened, "Woah Kate." That was all he could muster out. "Its brilliant." Sam then looked back to Kate. "I haven't seen Harri's drawing but I can't think of anything better than this." He said honestly.

[[yeah sure :p the more the... well, merrier :p ]]

Hollie sighed with relief as Kate allowed her to relax. She took the sketch curiously, and stared at the sketch of herself. It was... well, brilliant. "Wow," she murmured, tracing her finger along the sketch lines, though taking care not to smudge anything. "This is soooo good, Kate. Can I keep it?" She felt rude asking, but she was desperate for it.
She smiled at Sam's honest comment and decided not to say anything. Harri's drawing was awesome, but she'd spent a lot longer on it than Kate had. Hollie would need to set up time limits if she was serious about this competition... or not.
Eventually, she decided to say something. "Well, both you and Harri are awesome artists, and I can't really compare them, because you have different styles and techniques. They're not ranked, just different. Unique." She smiled at Kate.
Turning to Sam, she grinned. "I'll show you Harri's picture of me with my guitar sometime. Then you'll see what I mean."
She looked wistfully at the picture again, wondering why all she could draw was a stick person.

Alyssa clutched her designer bag tightly to her side as she walked out of the Hogwarts Castle and onto the snow covered lawn. Class had just finished for Alyssa and she felt that she needed some fresh air before she headed to the common room to finish her homework then work on finishing her dress designs.

Just as Alyssa turned the corner she immediantly noticed a few faces she hadn't seen since her first year.

'I almost forgot that they even went here. I must seem so rude for not saying hi to them at all!'Alyssa reached up and ruffed her wavy and straightened her Slytherin Uniform before she headed over.

"Kate, Hollie! I haven't seen you two all year!" Alyssa smiled and also waved happily a boy she had yet to meet. She assumed he was either another transfer or a first year because she didn't remember meeting him at all last year.

((Everyone is welcome other wise i would have written Open except to Alyssa!!! :p ))

Kate smiled and Sam and gratefully recieved his praise. She felt herself blushing and hurridly got her pencils organised. "Yeh sure you can keep it. Sorry it is rather rushed but you know, i don't really have all my drawing stuff with me today. I just came out here to escape and draw simple things. I can do another one later if you want." She asked quickly.

Noticing Alyssa arrive she grinned at her and stood up. "Hey, i haven't seen you in ages either! Long time no see." She added, hoping the expression was right. "So, how are you?" She asked and held out her hand to shake.

Hollie beamed and carefully pocketed the picture. "Cheers," she said, happily. "And don't worry... I don't mind. It looks fab - I couldn't do anything like this. And you don't have to draw me another one, but if you'd like to, that would be great." She smiled.

Then Alyssa joined them. Beaming, Hollie gave her fellow second year a brief hug, surprising even herself with this outgoing gesture. Flippin' heck, she'd barely spoken to Alyssa this year, but she was one of the nicest Slytherins Hollie knew and well, it was what most teenage girls did, anyway. Gave a hug.
"hey, haven't seen you in ages!" she said, smiling. "did you have a good Christmas?"

Once Hollie pocketed the sketch Sam looked up to the new girl, who both Kate and Hollie seemed to know well. Sam smiled and said, "Hey, I'm Sam." His british accent was thick. Sam had seen this girl around but never spoken to her, he didn't even know what house she was in. Sam listened as the girls talked, he didn't want to intrude so he stayed silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back