Simple Icon Banners

River Dallas

Wand
Apple Wand 13 1/2" with Essence of Belladonna
Well I was so bored so I decided to make a graphics tutorial. I hope I am allowed to post here if not sorry :unsure: I use Gimp but I've only had it for a short while. This is a graphics tutorial for making a common icon signature. So here we go.

1. First you are going to have to open up Gimp.

2. Open up a new document by clicking on file and then on new
2cnuio1.png

3. Since the biggest banner size that we can have on HNZ I set the width to 500 and the height to 300

4. To make an icon banner you are going to have to make sure that the background is set to Alpha Channel. This can be done by right clicking on the background tab in the layers menu (If you do not have the layers menu click on Ctrl + L )
fbfihe.png

5. Erase the whole background making sure that the whole 500 X300 images has black and white checkers. This means that the background is transparent.
1670e4j.png

6. Now you should have the icons that you want either saved or at least picked out. I don't save the images only the final images so I had to go out and find the icons.

7. Start with the first icon that you want to use and right click on it going down to copy.
1zg6w44.png

8. Go back to Gimp and right click on the transparent layer. Go down to the paste and paste the icon
1zxo6zr.png

2z7gz6f.png

9. You are going to want to create a new layer now. Go to layers, new layer.
2a5d7uo.png

10. Do this with the rest of your icons. I am only going to use four icons for this tutorial. When you are done you should have five pasted layers and one background layer stated on the layers menu.
rvau4m.png

2nl4eme.png

11. Order the icons how you would like them. For this one I am going to simple put them in a square formation.
jq3v2o.png

12. Once you have the icons where you would like them, merge down all the layers.
25pjsjd.png

13. Now you should only have one layer in the layers menu (Background layer)

14. If you want to add a border around the icons go to the layers menu and right click. Click on alpha to selection. Each icon should have marching ants around them
9bko6p.png

15. Go to the select tab and click on grow. When the menu pops up I usually go with around a grow of 2 but it is your choice
2w4xs8n.png

16. Within the marching ants you are going to want to use the fill icon to fill the colour of your choice. Once you fill in you go up to select and click none.

17. It should now have a nice border around it.
9hudky.png

18. Now you can add you text. Go to the text and just write what you want to write, name or saying.
14e4cw3.png

19. Now crop the image using the crop tool.

20. You are now done go up to the file tab, click save, make sure to save as a .png image

21. On a side note if a menu pops up that has the title of Export image. Always export. Do not flatten.

Final Image:
2mq3vpx.png

*If you have any questions don't be afraid to post here or pm me*

can you please update this to Gimp 2.0?

I use this version for 2.0, works fine ^_^

yeah, you just be able to follow this :p
yeah, you should just be able to follow this :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back