Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bi
Wand
Curly 11 Inch Swishy Ash Wand with Kelpie Hair Core
The elections for Minister of Magic greatly interested Tristan, and he had finally gotten himself a subscription to the Daily Prophet, something he had wanted for a while but also couldn't help feel was a bit of a waste of money. He really wasn't sure which candidate he would support yet, though it didn't much matter. In a year he would only be sixteen, just a year too young to vote. It was a shame, but he still followed the news avidly. As he closed the paper, he folded it and placed it in his bag. Then he looked around. Vivian wasn't around and he felt a little strange sitting here by himself. There was a bit of a gap between them since what had happened with Kauri, and he hoped it would fix itself soon. He wanted to put the Kauri chapter behind him.

His gaze landed on a boy he hadn't talked to in a little while, but had heard some interesting things about lately. Ares had been one of his early crushes on a boy, though it had only been fleeting. Knowing now that the boy also liked guys, he wondered if he made a chance. Dating an older boy, a Quidditch captain no less, definitely wouldn't look bad. He shifted a little to the right on the bench so he was sitting opposite to the boy and grinned at him. "Hey Ares, I saw your latest game. Shame we lost, but you definitely looked good out there. I bet we'll win next year with you at the helm again." He gave him a charming smile, one that had worked on Vivian, Jessica and Kauri. He felt confident, so far he had never been unsuccessful when chasing someone.

Ares knew that the season was over for him and his team, but he had already begun planning the next. He couldn't help but do that. He just wanted to be the best that they could be, and if he got a head start then it would be all the better. The Hufflepuff ran a hand through his hair, as he attempted to figure out the best strategy. The great hall was busy and filled with others studying, or reading the paper. Since there was an election happening, Ares figured a lot of older students like himself would be keen to keep up to date with what was happening. Ares however, had exams, and then NEWTs, he didn't have much of an interest in politics. As long as quidditch kept going he didn't care or mind. The boy looked up when someone sat opposite him, and he flashed a friendly smile to Tristan. They two talked occasionally, but Ares was surprised when he sat down in front of him.

The hufflepuff nodded at what he said, "Thanks, I think we'll win next year too," he was somewhat oblivious to the manner in which Tristan was speaking. He was glancing up from his books to the other boys face, "How've you been?" he returned, "Didn't you just win the duelling tournament for your year?" Ares kept aware of some of the goings on in his house. Just the little point additions that usually came. He didn't care much for duelling himself. It would be additional work on top of what he was already doing, additional work he didn't need to do. Ares looked back up, and this time focused himself more on Tristan since they were having a conversation he hardly wanted to be rude.

While Tristan had been thinking of trying to woo October for a while now, he had to admit being seen with Ares was even better. He smiled when the boy said he thought they would win next year too, and his smile widened when he asked if he had just won the duelling tournament. The fact that the older boy had noticed and remembered was a good sign. "I'm sure you will, and I'll be cheering for you in the stands." He said with a slight smirk. He had considered trying out himself, but had decided against it in the end. Quidditch was a sure way to get popular, but it was also a quick way to get hurt. "I've been good, studying mostly lately. And keeping up with the Ministry news." He wondered if Ares cared about the elections, but it didn't really matter. He wasn't here to talk about politics. "And I did just win, yes." He said, his shoulders straightening slightly with pride. "How have you been?" He asked in return, hoping for some sort of angle now that he could pursue before he asked the boy out.

Ares nodded at what the boy said, "The team will appreciate it," he spoke in the collective because he was sure that Tristan too was speaking in the collective, talking about all the team, not just him. He smiled a little at it, "I think next semester will be better, lots of people on the team will be a little older, more experienced," Ares said with another nod. He was more than certain that then he'd be in a better position to win. It would be nice to win a champion ship while he was captain and he had been so close so many times. The boy looked down at his notes briefly before looking back up at the younger hufflepuff, "Oh yeah? You interested in politics?" Ares asked. He couldn't be less interested but he had other things that he needed to do and focus on, so it didn't really matter. He would vote for whatever name sounded nicest. Since he would be old enough to vote. "I've been busy, between the classes and running a quidditch team, I've certainly been kept occupied. Not much time for anything else really," Ares replied with a nod, "You'll be starting all that fun next year. OWLs then NEWTs. Are you looking forward to it?"

Tristan's smile faltered slightly when Ares mentioned the team. He had meant Ares specifically, but apparently he had to be more obvious about his compliments. He nodded, thinking over his next move. When the boy asked if he was interested in politics, his eyes lit up slightly as he nodded more vigorously. "For sure, I mean, it's very important isn't it? That can't be denied. Our leader has a lot of influence, a lot of power." He didn't say that he one day wanted to be in that position, as he knew it sounded silly coming from a fifteen year old boy. But it was true. All he needed now was the best way to get there. Tristan nodded when the boy said he was busy, and then reminded him of the OWLs. He wasn't too worried, and nodded in response. "I actually am, honestly. I kind of want to prove how good I am." He paused. "I mean, I hope I will be able to do that." He added quickly, to counter any arrogance that may be perceived in his previous statement. Then he cleared his throat. "You know, you'll probably be less busy over the holidays. Maybe the two of us could hang out, together." He wasn't sure if his meaning was clear enough, so decided to add. "I saw you at pride." He added with a small, hopeful smile. "I mean, it could be fun, right?" He hoped the boy would see what he was getting at, and hoped even more that he would say yes.

The hufflepuff listened as Tristan spoke, Ares had never thought about it that way. He had never had to really. He didn't care much about who ran things, things just sort of remained. No one had ever made such a difference with how things were run that Ares felt it. He could however understand where Tristan was coming from with it, "I guess," he admitted with a little shrug. He knew that his disinterest in politics wouldn't be something that Tristan agreed with, but Ares knew that his life would only get more stressful if he added, keeping up with daily news to it. The teen nodded, "I get that, it's a little different with quidditch, but I want to show that I'm worth of the position each game," he could agree to that, despite the fact that Ares had been on the team since first year, first as an alternate and then as a full member. Ares nodded as the boy continued but looked at him with a slightly confused expression. Was Tristan asking him out, or out out. While he could admit that a younger him had enjoyed the boy's attention, Ares did have a crush on someone else. Certainly the way that Tristan cited pride made him think that tristan wasn't asking him out in a friendly, let's get coffee manner. Ares gave the boy a sympathetic smile, "Tristan." he said, "I like you, as a friend. So, if you want to hang out as friends then okay, but otherwise, I'm sorry, no," Ares tried to his best to keep his tone friendly, try to not shut this boy down too much, to not make him feel too bad. It was just that Ares wasn't interested in him.

It disappointed Tristan a little to hear the dismissal in Ares's voice about politics. A waste of a vote, honestly. Tristan would love to be able to vote in the election, but he would be too young. Ares wouldn't be, but it didn't sound like he cared much. But he didn't linger on that. It wasn't the point of the conversation, after all. He was hopeful, already picturing what the school paper might write at the next ball. But his smile froze in place as the boy gave him a smile that could only be sympathetic. Not just that. To Tristan, it felt like pity. The rejection was plain, simple, and honest. And it hurt. He wasn't in love with Ares, he barely had the remnants of a crush on him if he was honest. But he had still put himself out there, and he had been rejected. Somehow, the niceness of it only felt like an insult. He swallowed, trying to think of what to say. In truth, he wanted to go now. He wanted to leave, but that would be a defeat. He had to pretend he didn't care, but how could he pretend after he had just embarrassed himself like that? He wished he could turn back time. He laughed, though it sounded awkward and fake to his own ears. He wished he had picked another spot to do this in, he was suddenly very aware of other Hufflepuffs nearby. "Alright, fair enough. Maybe we can hang out as friends, sometime, then." He said awkwardly, nodding. "Uh, enjoy your meal. And day." He added, swallowing again and giving him a smile before averting his gaze. He wondered how long it would be now until he could go without it looking weak.

Ares did feel bad, he knew that rejection couldn't be easy, but the younger boy had to have assumed that it would be a no, after all there was a bit of an age gap between them, and they'd not really spoken much since the first few times. Ares had crushed a little, but he'd been younger and since then his affections had moved. He kept the sympathetic smile, "I'm sorry Tristan, you're great, but you're a bit young," he hesitated as he spoke again, replying to what he'd said, Ares had almost called Tristan childish but it seemed cruel do that, though the implication hung in the air. "Yeah, have a nice day," he added, it felt awkward to say the least, but he hoped that Tristan would understand. Maybe if they were both older, but not now.

Tristan felt cold. This conversation was not going the way he had wanted, and he wished he had never said anything to Ares. He didn't look away from the older boy, not wanting to admit defeat, but he hated the smile he had on his face. It was a pitying smile, and Tristan did not need that. He bristled at Ares's words. Young? He wasn't that much younger than him, only two years at most. He felt the implication that he was childish, and remembered the way he had said those exact words about Kauri. It had felt natural then, but feeling it turned on him made him angry. It made him feel small. He hated looking weak, but he supposed there was no way to avoid it now. Tristan had to leave this situation, before he made a bigger fool of himself. "I hope you find someone with the right level of maturity for you, then." He said coldly, unable to hide the anger underneath. Without another word, he got to his feet and left the table. Ares wasn't better than him, even if he seemed to think so. Tristan didn't need someone like him anyway. Why had he even tried? He could definitely do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back