Second Years, Lesson Three

"Good morning, everyone. Surviving?" There were a few equally tired expressions on the students, and she couldn't help but feel sympathetic. The halfway point in the semester is where things tended to lull, after all, and she also tended to get exhausted. "I won't keep you all too long today, we'll just have a short lecture then I'll give you a small research assignment for homework." There were a few groans, and she smirked into her teacup, finishing the brew before it got cold.

"We've got an interesting and somewhat divisive figure to talk about today. The lady Morgan Le Fey, also known as 'Morgana'. If you recall back in first year you might remember mention of her when you learned about Merlin, yes?" There were a few blank stares, but some recognition amongst some. That was enough to satisfy her, and she continued. "She's mostly known as King Arthur's half sister, by his mother Igraine and her first husband prior to Uther Pendragon, and was a powerful sorceress in her own right. She was an exceptional healer, so it was told. She was believed to have resided in the Straits of Messina, off the coast of Italy. In this area, the strange currents can draw phosphorescent creatures from the depths to make strange lights appear to hover above the water. This is a phenomenon known as 'Fata Morgana'."

Gabrielle paused to give the students a chance to catch up with their notes, rolling her shoulders and neck to prevent herself from tensing up too much. "Perhaps this draws from the positive interpretations of the lady Morgana. She had an exceptional gift for healing, which caused some people to consider her as being a fae being, or even a goddess of sorts. Some tales speak of Morgana aiding King Arthur at the Battle of Camlann, prior to his death."

"On the other hand, there are tales of her villainy, too. She stole King Arthur's sword, Excalibur - the one gifted to him by the Lady of the Lake - and schemed to plot his death and usurp his throne. Some tales expand upon this, suggesting she may have been a lover of Merlin, amongst others, and antagonised the Knights of the Round Table as well as the King himself. Even so, it is believed that she and Arthur still reconciled right before his death."
Gabrielle raised an eyebrow, looking over the class. "People are complicated creatures. It's rather reductive to think in terms of 'good' or 'evil', wouldn't you think?" She gave a little laugh at herself with that. Something about this year's syllabus just made her go in to fable mode. Sometimes she just really couldn't help herself.

"Well, I promised you a shorter lecture today, so we'll leave it at that. From one healer to another, though - I'd like for your homework for you to give me a short essay on Paracelsus, please. If you're interested in studying to be a healer he's someone who I think you should certainly familiarize yourself with." There was still a little bit of time before the end of class, but Gabrielle wasn't planning on keeping them long. "Let me know if you're having any difficulty at any stage, otherwise have a good week!"

Homework
RP the lesson. Extra credit for short essay (one or two paragraphs is fine), please include your sources.

Cyrus settled into his seat in History of Magic, his mind on the upcoming Halloween Feast. He was excited about the decorations and the special food, and couldn’t wait to see what the Great Hall would look like. He didn't have a great costume, but he had some vague idea on what to do. As the professor started the class, Cyrus forced himself to pay attention rather than linger on the upcoming feast. Professor Moncrieffe started the lesson by telling them it would be about Morgan Le Fey, who was also known as Morgana. Cyrus listened as he started taking notes, writing things down about how she was a great healer but also a villain in some stories. She had apparently stolen King Arthur's sword, which had to have been a big deal. The professor then assigned an essay about Paracelsus, which Cyrus thought sounded intriguing. He made a note to head to the library to write it later. As the lesson ended, Cyrus packed up his things, heading out of the classroom with the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back