Second Years, Lesson One

"Hello, everyone," Gabrielle greeted, giving the class a small smile and nod as they took their seats. She didn't really mind where they sat too much, as long as they didn't start chattering and disturbing the class. "For those of you who do not know me for some reason or have developed convenient amnesia over the holidays, I'm Professor Moncrieffe, and I am your professor for first through fourth year History of Magic. We don't need to stand on formality, but please do address me respectfully and not rudely." It was important to set ground rules for the class, and maintain them. "Makes it easier for me to do the same back." She hoped that would lighten the mood a little. There were plenty of teachers she'd come across who didn't respect their students. They were usually the worst kind.

"This year we'll be looking at a couple of major figures in history, and we'll be writing a few essays as well. I'll go over essay writing in class if you would like. I'm not looking for perfect structure at this stage, but we'll work up towards improving your writing over time." She gave a sympathetic smile to the class. It wasn't the most thrilling subject to talk about, but it was important for all their subjects, not just History of Magic. "You'll thank me when you get to your OWLs and NEWTs."

"Just a short lesson today. I won't keep you too long, as I'm sure you have plenty of gossiping about your holidays to do,"
Gabrielle joked, raising an eyebrow at the class. "If you are struggling with History, or with any of your classes, especially in the theoretical side of things, please come see me. I can promise you a cup of tea and no judgement. Unless you're coming to tell me how much you hate history. I might judge you then. But I can't help you if you don't say anything. We're here to help, but I'm not a mind reader and I can't necessarily help you unless you tell me you need help." Gabrielle shrugged, smoothing down her robes again. "And if you're finding it easy, and want to learn some more unique and interesting things, I can help you out. I'm sure there's plenty of more exciting research projects out there that are so fascinating you might not even think of them as work." It helped that the Ravenclaws were in this class. "Anyway, that's all for today. Go on and get fresh air and make the most of not getting hand cramps."

Homework
RP the lesson.

Rosalind was a little bit odd in that she actually liked writing essays. Maybe she wasn't the best note-taker, with her distractability and the inevitability of doodling flowers, but essay writing was fun to her. Organising ideas, coming up with an argument - it was enjoyable. So she was in good spirits when the professor mentioned they'd be doing more of that. It wasn't a big lesson, which was nice, Rosalind was grateful. She appreciated that the professor offered to help, though Rosalind wasn't sure she was the one who needed it. Rosalind was solidly doing alright as far as grades went. With the lesson over, Rosalind packed up her things and went on her way.

Magne had done his best throughout the longer break to not just slip back into only speaking Greek. He needed to not lose the English he had picked up. It had worked marginally well, in that he certainly felt less out of his depth than he had upon first arriving. Things weren’t perfect in his understanding, but he certainly felt less of a barrier between him and the other students. He did no longer have Valerius, but he was sure he could figure this out regardless, he would manage - he would have to. The ravenclaw was getting himself together, not forgetting the helpful dictionaries which he needed less, but was sure he’d come up against new terms that he did not understand. The ravenclaw left the dorm and went to class.

Magne walked into the history of magic classroom and took a spot in the room. He struggled most with this sort of class because he couldn’t make up his knowledge with easier practical work. He glanced at the professor as the woman got started, telling them what they would be doing in this semester of the class. He nodded along and then the professor just let them chat with people, which magne did. Given that for him, chatting was a good way to keep up his english and thus necessary.

Ambrose was keen to be at school and get back into the swing of things. Spending the break at home had been a strong reminder of how much more fun he had now that he got to spend the biggest part of his time at Hogwarts. Things were easier over here. Calmer. In some ways he was a little less free than he was at home but the little voice inside his head kept telling him that was a good thing. Structure was good for him. For his peace of mind. Ambrose took his seat in the history of magic classroom and listened to professor Moncrieffe, taking some notes when she told them what they would be discussing this year. He wasn't the biggest fan of essays but he was glad the professor gave them some notice so he could mentally prepare for the fact that they would be writing multiple this year.

Cyrus had a fondness for History of Magic and was somewhat excited for the classes this year. He headed into the classroom and took a seat next to Magne, giving his roommate a quick smile before focusing on the professor. She told them they were going to look into major figures in history and writing some essays. Cyrus didn't mind writing essays too much, he was pretty sure he was already quite good at it, though he wouldn't mind tips on how to do it better. The lesson was over quickly, and the professor said they could come see her if they were struggling. It was nice, but not necessary for Cyrus. When the lesson was over, Cyrus left the classroom to get some writing done outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back