Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Curly 11.5'' Sturdy Elm Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Plot ID #103965
Continued from here.

No one had stopped her.

It was a simultaneously simple and extraordinary revelation, and for the first time in her life, Celia thought she might truly understand what it meant to be free. The whole city was at her feet. She could go anywhere she wanted, and no one could stop her. She started to walk faster, their agreed-upon meeting place in sight, when someone tapped on her shoulder, causing her to startle violently.

It was over. It was over and— "Oh my god, you scared me," Celia said with a shaky laugh, relieved to see it was Max. She couldn't find it in herself to be angry or even the slightest bit annoyed. His enthusiasm was contagious, and soon she was wearing a grin to match his. "We did, didn't we? We're free now. We got out." Rationally, she knew they weren't quite in the clear yet, but this was the first good thing to happen to her in months and she was determined to enjoy the moment.

Celia started to walk towards the Capitol building off in the distance, deciding it was best to put as much space in between them and their classmates in the museum. Her newfound freedom made her feel reckless. "We've got four hours until anyone notices we're missing," she said with a smirk. For once, magic was on their side. With a phone, she could reach her dad in a matter of seconds. For the school, sending a letter would take days. "What do you want to do first?" There was so much she'd missed about the muggle world. The internet, electricity, normal clothes, cute cafes — she could go on forever. For now, she'd start with her phone, and she slipped it out of her bag and started to power it on.

After successfully escaping the museum, Max felt giddy with excitement, something that he usually never felt. He even laughed a bit as Celia revealed that he'd scared her when he tapped her on the shoulder, and even though they were usually quite annoyed and sarcastic with each other, he couldn't help but be happy that she'd helped him escape. Maybe she wasn't so bad after all.

Keeping pace with Celia, he noticed that they were walking in the direction of a large building in the distance. Although he'd spent 8 years of his life in America, he'd never really paid much attention to the cities and what landmarks were in them, because he had only been concerned with which mountains were the best to snowboard on. The other stuff didn't matter to him, so although he was unfamiliar with the area and where they were going, he trusted that Celia knew her way around, and hoped they'd stick together for a while longer.

He grinned as Celia mentioned they had four hours to explore before people saw they were missing, and briefly wondered what they should do in the meantime. Sure, they'd eventually part ways and go to their relatives, but for now, they could explore right? "Well as long as we keep walking away from the museum, I don't really mind where we go." he replied. Truth be told, he didn't know exactly what there was in the city, but then again he truly didn't care. What mattered was that he was back in the country where he belonged, and something so trivial as to where they spent the next four hours didn't really matter to him. As long as they got as far away as possible from the Hogwarts students and Professor. "Maybe we could get some food? Four hours is a long time after all." he eventually decided.

Celia could still hardly believe they were back in the normal world. Her senses went into overdrive as she tried to soak up as much of her surroundings in as possible. After spending so much time trapped in that dark castle, it was a wonder to see all the buildings and monuments stretched out before her. She could go as far as her feet took her, and the thought thrilled her. She'd missed even the simplest pleasures — rifling through tabloids at the checkout, catching last-minute movie matinees, thrift shopping with her earbuds in.

They walked past the National Gallery of Art, and Celia stared at the banners advertising the collections inside. Though Max claimed not to be picky about where they went next, Celia knew better than to try and drag him into an art museum. There would be plenty of time to catch up on all the experiences she'd missed once she was back in Boston. "Food sounds good. I have forty bucks, which should be enough, at least until I can call my dad." She was very grateful to her past self, who had held onto the cash through her months first in Vietnam and then in New Zealand. They wouldn't be dining at any fancy restaurants, but they probably needed to avoid those anyways. Two eleven-year-olds at a sit-down restaurant could attract unwanted attention.

"Is there anything you've missed? How about Mexican? I can try and look up a place." It had been forever since she'd had a decent taco, and while she wasn't sure how good the Mexican food was in D.C., it was bound to be loads better than the stuff in New Zealand. "Ugh, my phone's almost dead. Have you checked yours?" It seemed that some of her battery had drained during those weeks of unuse. She wasn't too concerned. Literally any of the museums around them would have available outlets inside. Or they could find a Starbucks — yet another thing she'd missed.

After walking around for a while, Max had to admit he wasn't liking the city as much as he'd expected. The hustle and bustle of people around him was getting on his nerves, especially when some rude people bumped into him, nearly knocking him over. In contrast, he remembered how much he enjoyed the solitude of the mountains, where no one would bother him, and he could do whatever he wanted, but that only made him miss the mountains more. Focusing back on where they were going, he noticed that they'd slowed down near an art gallery, and Max briefly wondered whether Celia would want to go inside, and tried to think of an excuse for why he wouldn't have to join her. Luckily they'd carried on right past it. Max breathed a small sigh of relief at not having to suffer through it because art was just so boring. Probably even more so than History of Magic lessons, because those had at least allowed him to escape.

The talk of food was beginning to make him hungry, and he felt his stomach grumble in protest as he wondered whether there was in fact anything he'd missed. To be honest, Mexican sounded pretty good, although he wouldn't mind McDonald's or KFC either, mostly because his father had always thought it was bad for him, so he'd only rarely gotten it as a child. But thinking that it wasn't exactly what Celia would have chosen though, he settled on an in between. "How about we go somewhere Mexican, but not some fancy restaurant or anything, any takeout will do." he finally decided with a grin. That way he would be able to get some fast-food which was a rarity for him, and Celia could get something better than just fries. It was a win-win situation.

Checking his own phone at the mention of Celia's being almost dead, he frowned as he saw it was at about 30%. Well, it could have been worse, but it wasn't ideal either. "Yeah, mine's on around 30%, but I may have forgotten to bring a charger with me, so we should probably try and conserve the battery..." he added, a hint of frustration in his voice as he realised he should have been smart enough to bring it. No doubt Celia had one though at least, being the 'smart' one of the two who'd planned this whole escape and all. He was about to make some snarky comment about it when he stopped himself, realising that if they were to get through the next four hours, he'd have to be on good terms with her. Instead he forced himself to ask in a more civil voice, "So, do you know of any good Mexican places?" determined to bring the conversation back to a topic they hopefully agreed on.

Celia nodded, glad that he was fine with getting Mexican though she was open to really anything that was harder to find outside the U.S. "On it." His comment about forgetting his charger though made her glance up, contempt briefly flashing in her eyes. She was pretty sure a charger was one of the things she'd specifically told him to bring, and that list hadn't exactly been very long. But ultimately, it didn't pose a problem for her. "You can borrow mine later," she said with a shrug. Their successful escape had put her in a good mood, and she was feeling generous.

It seemed that her parents had cancelled her cell plan, which made sense but still stung in a way she couldn't quite articulate. It was just another way she'd been erased from the real world. At least she could still connect to the internet. "Looks like there's a place that way. Four point two stars and cheap," she said, pointing to their left. "Hold on a sec." Celia turned and snapped selfies first with the Capitol and then the Washington Monument. It was strange to think she didn't have any photos from her time at Hogwarts. Maybe when she looked back, she could pretend like that chapter in her life never happened.

"Ok, let's go." Celia started to walk in the direction of the restaurant, her eyes still glued to her phone. Rude, perhaps, but she needed to take advantage of this Wi-Fi while she still had it. Besides, she excelled at multitasking when it came to walking, talking, and browsing her phone simultaneously. "What do you think we missed? We've been out of the loop for ages. There could've been like, a whole war, while we were stuck at Hogwarts, and we wouldn't have known about it," she mused.

Max had been glancing around at the buildings on either side of him, wondering how on earth Celia was managing to navigate between them correctly when she mentioned the place they'd be going to eat at. 4.2 stars wasn't too bad, and thankfully it was cheap, because Max didn't have that much money. "Sure sounds good." he replied with a grin, determined to keep up the good relationship they had going between them. He would not have believed they could ever be this civil with each other, but their common goal of escaping Hogwarts seemed to be reason enough for them to be glad to have each other there. Which was fine by him, since having someone he wasn't immediately rude to was a rarity. Turning to go left, Max paused when he realised Celia was busy taking selfies. His first instinct was to roll his eyes at her, but then, realising that the fact that they'd escaped Hogwarts was pretty cool, he decided to remember this time and photo bomb one of her selfies, grinning as he did so. He hadn't felt so much like himself since Hogwarts had begun, and he was loving the time he was spending away from it.

Once they'd begun walking again, Max couldn't help but notice that Celia seemed glued to her phone. Ever since he was little, Max had never really spent much time on his phone, since his parents often preferred that he and his siblings go play outside instead, and as a result he couldn't understand how Celia was managing not to bump into anyone while she walked. He was having enough trouble as it was, not being used to the giant crowds of people that there were here. Glancing at her as she asked him a question he wondered whether she'd even hear his reply since she seemed so fixated on her phone. Deciding to answer anyway, he briefly thought about it before replying. "Well I'm almost certain there wasn't an entire war while we were gone but I know that I at least have missed tons of snowboarding." he replied with an annoyed frown. He still couldn't believe his parents didn't care enough to let him continue to snowboard, and instead he was stuck at Hogwarts, learning about Astronomy. Who even cared why the stars moved the way they did? They were just stars after all, it wasn't like they'd ever have any impact on his life anyway. "But I'm sure that we missed some major news about some celebrities breaking up or getting together or whatever it is that you probably care about." he added with a smirk. He didn't know if this was what Celia actually cared about, but it seemed that if anyone would, it would probably be her.

Suddenly smelling something nice he turned to her, wondering whether they'd arrived. "Is this the place you meant?" he asked, tilting his head to read the sign above him. He couldn't read it exactly, but assumed they were in the right place, and if not, this was probably as good a place to stop as any, especially since he'd just felt his stomach grumble. Breakfast had been hours ago, and Max couldn't wait to eat something again.

Celia shook her head slightly as Max mentioned all he was looking forward to was snowboarding. He truly had a one-track mind. "I'd be surprised if you didn't," she replied evenly. His next joke earned a dry "Hilarious," and an eyeroll, though she angled her phone away slightly so that he couldn't see the celebrity gossip site she'd been scanning. She knew it was probably a strange choice, and maybe she should have been logging into her social media accounts to announce her grand return. But some part of her hesitated, not wanting to see how her friends had continued life without her.

With a sigh, Celia slipped away her phone. The wi-fi was spotty and her battery was rapidly draining away. Besides, they'd arrived at the restaurant. "Yup, this is the place," she said, opening the door to District Taco. Thankfully, the place was crowded, allowing them to disappear into the mass of people. "Need me to cover you?" she asked, wondering if he'd brought American dollars or if somehow he had a credit card on him. Once she reunited with her dad, she would ask for her own credit card. Their escape had shown that she didn't have a very reliable means of getting money. After they'd ordered — two carnitas tacos for her — and paid, she scanned the room. "Do you want to eat here or outside?" she asked, clutching her food.

As soon as Celia opened the door to the fast food place, Max couldn't help but grin as the smell of good food surrounded him. Sure, the Hogwarts food wasn't bad but this was just so different to anything he'd had over the past few months that he couldn't help but appreciate it all the more. When Celia asked whether he wanted her to cover for him he turned to her, the beginnings of an annoyed look spreading on his face. "I can pay for myself, but thanks anyway." he managed to reply still somewhat politely. He knew he didn't have a lot of money but it would hopefully be enough for the meal at least. There was no way he'd let Celia pay for him.

Glancing at the menu, he tried to find something that was cheap but still looked good, and eventually settled on a pollo asado burrito. After paying for it, he turned to Celia, who had just asked where he wanted to eat. "I reckon we can eat outside, it's pretty crowded in here..." taking in the delicious smell one more time he opened the door and led the way outside. He didn't know where he was going but just continued walking in the direction they had been before, wondering whether it'd lead to a park or something similar where they could eat their food. Not seeing one nearby though, he decided to just unwrap his and start eating, because he could feel his stomach grumbling, and having food right in his hands was definitely not helping. "So is there anywhere else you want to go or do you think you'll go home soon?" he questioned Celia in between bites of his burrito. In all honesty he was beginning to wonder what he'd actually do about accommodation because escaping had seemed so impossible in the first place that he almost hadn't expected to get this far so he hadn't really thought it through. But he had a few more hours to figure it out, so hopefully he'd think of something.

Celia glanced at Max curiously, wondering if he was uncomfortable with crowds. He was definitely prickly and annoying, but he'd never struck her as shy. "Yeah, okay," she said, following him outside. The best part about being back in a city was that there were still people everywhere, even though they'd left the restaurant. She'd missed just the presence of other human beings — she'd never felt quite as isolated as she had the past few months.

She kept an eye out for a bench, not wanting to eat while walking. That just seemed messy. "I kind of want to do more sightseeing, but I should probably call my dad soon if he's going to get me a plane ticket back to Boston tonight." Celia had to keep reminding herself that she still had time. She'd escaped her seven-year New Zealand prison sentence. Besides, the sooner she called her dad, the sooner she could have her items shipped back from Hogwarts, see her friends, return home. "Where's home for you?" When she'd explained her plan to Max, she'd mentioned that her dad could also buy him tickets to wherever he needed. But she didn't know if Max had since made his own plans or if he had magical family members who could transport him more quickly.

Max hid a disappointed frown as Celia mentioned she should probably call her dad soon. He would never admit it but he was actually having a lot of fun and almost didn’t want them to go their separate ways. “Oh well I was thinking of somehow making my way back to Oregon, and staying with one of my friends from before.” He replied as Celia asked where he’d be staying. Truth be told he wasn’t entirely sure whether it would work since it definitely wasn’t the most thought out plan, or if his friend from his normal life would still be willing to take him in, but he was relying on the fact that he would.

The only problem was how would he get there. “Soo... I remember you saying your dad would be willing to pay for a plane ticket for me?” He added in casually as he continued to eat his burrito. It was annoying him no end that he had to rely on Celia so much but it was just for a few more hours and then he’d be back with friends and he could forget about her and all of Hogwarts.

When he heard Celia ask where home was for him he faltered a bit in his step, the question catching him off guard. He wasn’t sure where his physical home with an address was at this point but one thing was for sure. “You should know by now that my home is any mountain that I’m on...” he said with a small smirk. He would soon be able to return to the place he loved most and he couldn’t wait. “So, shouldn’t you call your dad soon?” He added, after finishing off his burrito and throwing the wrapping in a nearby trash can.

Celia raised an eyebrow as Max explained his plan, which was not at all what she'd been expecting. "Don't you have family here?" she asked, suddenly realizing that she knew practically nothing about him. When she'd asked if he wanted to join her, she'd assumed that the rest of his family was still in the U.S., his grandparents or an uncle or something. Relying on a friend to take him in sounded fairly risky. Then again, if he'd agreed to come, then surely he had something figured out.

She nodded. "Yeah, don't worry about it. He travels a lot for work, so he's always got free miles," she said dismissively. Back before her family had imploded, her parents were always tossing around potential vacation destinations to use up their miles. Her family's financial situation was secure enough that two domestic plane tickets would barely even register. Besides, it wasn't exactly like her dad could say no once she called and explained her situation.

Given Max's answer to her next question, Celia was starting to wonder if maybe he'd need her dad to provide more than just a plane ticket. It sounded like he didn't have a plan... at all. "Right, you're a snowboarder. How could I forget," she deadpanned, defaulting to sarcasm to mask her apprehension about the whole situation. "Yeah, I will. Give me a sec, I need to borrow someone's phone." They were coming across a vaguely familiar street corner, one she recognized from her last trip to D.C. "Wait here, I'm going to go inside," she said, gesturing towards a bench outside a cafe before heading inside. She didn't particularly care if Max followed, but she did want some privacy and she wasn't sure she could make the call in front of Max.

It didn't take long before she found a suitable target. An elderly woman was sitting near the windows, reading that day's newspaper, her phone lying on the table next to her. Celia approached her, trying to look as innocent as possible. "Excuse me, hi! I'm really sorry to bother you, but could I borrow your phone? I need to call my dad. He's supposed to pick me up soon, but my phone's dead," she held up her phone with a helpless look. "I can stand right over there while I make the call, shouldn't take long," she pointed towards a corner of the cafe.

For one very long moment, Celia thought the woman would refuse, but then she smiled. "Of course, dear. Take as long as you need." She unlocked the phone and handed it over with a smile.

Celia marveled at how easy that had been and gave the woman a grateful smile. "Thank you!" Hopefully the next part would be just as easy. She took the phone and walked over to the corner, which turned out to be a pointless gesture as the woman had turned back to her paper and wouldn't have noticed if she'd decided to leave the cafe with it. Celia quickly dialed her dad's work and held up the phone, butterflies building in her stomach.

If her dad's secretary was surprised to hear her voice, she didn't say anything. And soon Celia was transferred over.

"Dad, hi!" she said, trying to sound as breezy as possible in case anyone was listening.

"Who is this?"

She frowned slightly but reminded herself that he was probably operating under the assumption that she did not have access to a phone. "It's me, Celia. I'm borrowing someone else's phone."

"Celia?"

"Yeah, I, uh..." It occurred to her that she'd planned just about everything except what she would say during this phone call. "I... I'm in D.C. And I—"

"D.C.? Washington, D.C.? What? You're supposed to be at that magic school, Hog- Hog- you know what I'm talking about. Washington, D.C.? Where's your mother?"

He'd forgotten the name of her school. Something in her heart tightened. "She's not here." Celia glanced back at the woman, but she had not looked up from her paper. In fact, no one in the busy cafe seemed to pay her much attention. Still, she lowered her voice. "I, um, I'm on a field trip. There was a school trip to the Smithsonian and um..." She winced, aware of how uncertain she sounded, how many uhs and ums had filled her speech, but she couldn't seem to stop herself. She took a deep breath. "Dad, I need to come home. I really missed you, and I can't stay at Hogwarts. I need to go back to a real school or transfer to Ilvermorny."

There was a long pause, and Celia glanced at the screen to make sure the call was still going. The seconds ticked by, and before she was even aware of what she was doing, the words came gushing out. "Dad, did you hear me? I have to go home. Hogwarts is horrible, absolutely horrible. There aren't even real dorms. I live in a dungeon. And it's so unsanitary. They've crammed a dozen girls in the same room, and it's damp and dark, and I'm sure there's mold—"

"Celia"

"—and the school, it's a joke. They don't teach anything important. There's an Astronomy class, and do you know what they cover as part of the second year curriculum? The solar system. That's second grade stuff. History is just a bunch of made up stories. And—"

"Celia!"

She flinched.

"Where is your teacher?"

How was this going so wrong? He was... he was supposed to tell her that he'd missed her, that he loved her, rejoice at hearing her voice again. He was supposed to immediately offer to fly her home, enroll her in Ilvermorny or her old school, promise she'd never have to go away again.

Celia took another deep breath. She needed to focus and clearly explain why she couldn't go back, why she'd left. She needed to make him understand that there was no future there. "Dad, I came home. I left Hogwarts. I tried writing you. I wrote you so many letters. I know Mom has stopped you from writing me letters—"

"Your mother didn't—"

She forged ahead. She had to get it out now or he would get sidetracked. "—but that doesn't matter now. I'm back here, and we can talk about it tonight when I'm home. I just need you to get me and my friend plane tickets out of D.C. I know transferring schools mid-semester might sound like a big deal, but I've got all this planned out. I've been self-studying all semester, so I won't be behind."

"Celia— I— Wait, what do you mean your friend?"

She'd anticipated a little annoyance at the idea of buying an extra plane ticket, but the tone of his voice was something else entirely. It wasn't unfamiliar, but she'd never heard it directed at her. "One of my classmates came with me. He's from Oregon and wanted to go home," as she explained it, she started to realize just how ridiculous her idea had been.

"Do you mean to tell me that you and a classmate just ran away from a school field trip?" The anger in his voice seemed to reach right through the phone, holding her in place. "I don't know what you were thinking, but you need to go back to your teacher right now and put me on the phone with her."

"I... I can't. They're back at Hogwarts." She could barely hear her voice through the sound of her heart thudding in her ears. This was not how the conversation was supposed to go. Her mind was suddenly blank, all the arguments she'd meticulously planned out about why she couldn't stay at Hogwarts forgotten. "Don't make me go back," she pleaded, acutely aware of how pathetic she sounded. "I want to live with you." Don't you want me to live with you too? "I can't go back."

"You're not leaving Hogwarts!" She flinched again. He'd snapped at her. Actually snapped at her. That never happened. "Look, I'm sorry about that. But I don't care how terrible you think that place is, your mother and I both agreed it's the best place for you. I can't watch over you here," He gave an exasperated sigh. "Honestly, Celia! Running away? How could you be so immature? That was incredibly reckless—"

The phone beeped, and Celia glanced down, surprised to see that she'd ended the call. But still, her dad's words ran through her mind. Suddenly, the cafe was too small. There were too many people, all of them witness to her future shattering right before her eyes. Her body kicked into autopilot, and Celia moved towards the woman, depositing the phone on her table with a mumbled thanks before launching herself at the door, desperate for some air. She just needed to get away, to be alone.

Her vision blurred, and she pressed the back of her hand to her eyes, willing herself not to come undone, at least not here, not while she was so exposed. Celia blindly turned the corner, barely dodging some passersby, and found herself in a small alleyway behind the cafe. It was dirty, but at least there were no people here. She squeezed her eyes shut. Calm down. Breathe. Think. You need to figure out your next move. But even as she issued herself these commands, she could hear her father's voice echoing all around her.

Max felt a small frown settle on his face as Celia asked whether he had any family here. "Well yeah I do, but I'd rather just stay with a friend." he replied. The longer the conversation went on, the more unsure he felt about his decision. Maybe he should go to his grandparents' house instead... deciding that he'd think about that later, Max focused back on what Celia was saying, and heard her say that her father would have no problem with getting him a plane ticket, which made him feel a bit better about it all at least. As Celia told him she'd call her dad, Max suddenly realised that this was it. This was where they'd soon split up and have to go their separate ways, and he wasn't sure if he was ready for that. Although he liked to consider himself independent, he was still 11, which was hardly old enough to be wandering around D.C. by himself, let alone finding his way to his friend's house with the limited money he had. Waving a distracted goodbye to Celia, he watched as she went inside to presumably call her dad, his brain occupied with thoughts on how he'd actually accomplish the next part of the plan, which was getting home.

Celia must have been inside for a good 10 minutes, and Max was beginning to wonder whether he should go in and see whether she was still there, when he suddenly saw her leave the café, seemingly in a hurry. "Hey, Celia!" he called out to her, unsure of whether or not she knew he was still here. He certainly hoped she hadn't just forgotten about him, because her dad's money for a flight ticket was something he was relying on to get himself back to Oregon. When it was clear that Celia hadn't heard him, he decided he had to follow her before he lost her in the crowded streets. "Celia!!" he tried again, but with no luck, as she continued on. He had to jog a bit now to catch up to her, but he finally did, and as he arrived next to her, he tapped her on the shoulder, intending to make some joke about how could she possibly leave him behind when he abruptly noticed that she seemed to be crying, or at least on the verge of it. Suddenly unsure as to what to do he took a step back, choosing his next words carefully. "Hey, are you ok? What happened?" he asked with an unnaturally civil tone. He had never known what to do when people were upset, and the fact that it was Celia made it even more difficult, since he'd always thought of her as someone who had everything planned out and didn't break down easily.

Celia took a deep shuddering breath, trying to hold it in for a second before slowly exhaling. The last thing she needed to do was to start hyperventilating and have a full-on breakdown. Think. She was in a strange city with a half-dead phone and not even thirty dollars to her name. Her dad wouldn't help her. She needed to figure out what to do next. But her thoughts kept returning to the phone conversation, her dad's words playing on repeat.

Someone tapped her shoulder, and Celia quickly swiped at her eyes before turning around. Max. She'd completely forgotten that she hadn't been the only one counting on her dad for help. The realization that she would have to admit that she'd failed was enough to make her eyes well up again but she blinked hard. There was no way she was going to actually cry in front of Max of all people. It was already humiliating enough that he could see her like this, on the verge of tears. "I'm fine," she said, her voice cracking as she refused to look him in the eye.

How was she supposed to explain that they were now officially stranded? She'd never bothered to come up with a plan B. Celia cleared her throat. "I'm fine. I talked to my dad and..." she trailed off, unsure what to say next. In the distance, she could hear traffic and the low din of people going about their day, completely unaware of the fact that her world was falling apart. Something nearby cracked. "And we need to—"

"Celia!"

She turned toward the end of the alley and watched as her mom stepped into sight and immediately honed in on them, her eyes wild. Celia felt faint. Within seconds, her mom had closed the gap, sweeping her into her arms. "Oh, Celia, are you ok?" Her mom stepped back, and Celia watched as her expression shifted from worry to disapproval before softening again as she turned to Max. "You must be Celia's friend. I'm Olivia, her mother." She glanced between the two, and Celia simply stared, still unable to believe that her mom was actually here. "Where is your teacher? Do your parents know where you are?"

Max wasn't convinced by Celia's attempt at telling him she was fine, but he was saved from having to say much else when he saw a random woman come over and hug Celia. He was a bit bewildered at first but then quickly noticed the resemblance between them, and realised that the woman must be Celia's mother. He felt a bit of a pang when he realised that if his parents hadn't sent him off to Hogwarts it could be his mother hugging him, but he quickly shook that thought from his head, determined to not let it sink his relatively good mood. Although the appearance of Celia's mother didn't seem too promising... "Um, hi" he replied a bit awkwardly when she introduced herself. The visit was a bit unexpected and he was caught off guard, but quickly tried to cover that up by putting on his standard, slightly annoyed expression.

When Celia's mother began to ask him questions though, he groaned inwardly, already seeing that their plan was beginning to come undone. But knowing better than to lie to her, he reluctantly answered. "Our teacher is either still at the Smithsonian or back at Hogwarts." he said with a very obviously fake smile. "And no, my parents don't know where I am, although now that you're here I'm assuming you're going to rat me out to them, aren't you?" he said, adding in a slightly challenging tone of voice. It was clear that their chances of not having to go back to Hogwarts were slowly dwindling into nothing, so Max just decided to drop the civil act and go back to being his annoyed self. Because clearly the world hated him and wouldn't even let him escape the prison he'd been living in for the past few months.

Celia buried her face in her hands, unable, unwilling to believe that this was really the end. All her planning had been for nothing. She would have to go back to Hogwarts, trapped in the castle for seven years as the world spun on without her. For a fleeting moment, she wanted to run. But it was obvious now that she had nowhere to go. Her dad had made that very clear.

She still refused to look at Max, knowing that he was likely just as disappointed as she was that their plan had failed. Her plan. But at least his presence was good for one thing — he was probably the only reason why her mom hadn't completely lost her temper and was remaining so calm about the whole situation. Part of Celia wished her mom would start yelling because she knew how to get yell back. Right now she wasn't sure she could even manage a whisper. She listened as her mom replied evenly, "If your teacher is back at Hogwarts, your parents will hear about this soon enough. We need to let them know you're safe before they start to worry. Do you have their contact information? Or another family member we can call?"

Max frowned as Celia’s mum asked for his parents’ contact numbers, and glanced at Celia to see what she was thinking about the whole thing, but she just seemed to be in shock. “There’s no way I’m getting out of this am I...” he muttered to himself in disappointment as he realised their plan had almost certainly failed now that Celias’s mum was here. Taking out his phone, he found his dad’s number and held out the phone for Celia’s mum to copy down. “Are you going to call my parents and get them to come pick me up?” He asked in a slightly accusing tone of voice. He simply couldn’t believe that they’d gotten this far only for their plan to be foiled.

Why couldn't the ground just open up and swallow her whole? All Celia wanted to do was disappear. She looked up briefly to see her mom lean over Max's phone and copy it down. She kind of hoped he was giving her mom a fake number though that would only delay the inevitable. At this speed, her mom would make sure they got to Hogwarts by nightfall. "Yes, I'm going to call them, and I'm sure they'll decide how they want to proceed." Her mom punched in the number. "Hello, yes? I'm calling about your son." A pause. "Max, did you say? Mhmm, yes." Celia slumped as she heard those words. It was clear her mom had gotten the right number.

The conversation was fairly brief, and the parts that Celia heard were not promising at all. She listened as her mom named the cafe, explaining that she'd gotten the location through her (ex)-husband after he'd called the phone Celia had borrowed. Well that explained how they'd been found. The old woman had ratted them out. Celia stewed over this piece of information, only looking up again at her mom's voice. "Max, your father said he'd be here soon. You two are lucky nothing bad happened while you were wandering around by yourselves. Running away was extremely dangerous."

As soon as he heard Celia's mum begin to call his father, Max began to regret his decision of giving her the right number. He could have easily just given her a different one, or better yet even just turned around and run away, but then again, what good would that have done. She was an adult, and a magical one at that, and he was just an 11 year old with barely any money. What a great combination.

He couldn't hear much of the conversation that was going on except for Celia's mum's words, which didn't give him much indication of what was going on. That is, until she told him his father was coming. A small part of Max had hoped that it wasn't actually going to happen, that by some miracle something would happen which would mean his father wouldn't come. But it seemed like he would. He steeled himself for the now inevitable encounter, since he knew his mum wouldn't come because she'd be busy looking after Amelia and Aspen. Turning to Celia he was about to make some sarcastic joke about how it hadn't gone exactly as planned to try to distract himself before his father came, but before he could even think of something, he saw him.

He was walking towards them from a street a few metres away, and Max assumed he'd either apparated or taken a portkey, but either way he was here faster than he'd expected. And although he usually liked to think of himself as unbothered by unexpected situations, it wasn't the case this time, and he gulped a bit nervously as he watched his father get closer. He was furious. You could see it on his face. "What do you think you're doing, leaving your class and Professor behind like that?!" Max's face fell as his father came within earshot, and immediately began scolding him. "They must be worried sick, not to mention your mum when she heard you were somewhere in America, and not back in New Zealand like the rest of your classmates!" well, bringing his mum into it made him feel far worse than before, because although his father was pretty strict at times, his mum had always been the opposite. "And now all of Hogwarts must be worried for your safety, they can't exactly just lose TWO children on a field trip, can they?" Max frowned when he heard that. He didn't particularly care what problems the school would have as a result, since they were literally the reason he'd decided to try and escape in the first place. "We're going back. Now." Max's eyes widened a bit as he heard that last sentence. So it was final. They would be leaving America and heading back to New Zealand. He hadn't even seen a single mountain this entire time, let alone anything but the crowded streets and cramped shops. "Wait, no, why can't we just stay a little longer!" Max asked in a bit of a panic, not wanting to leave. They'd been so close. But the look on his father's face wasn't very encouraging, and it was clear the more Max talked back, the harsher the punishment would be. Although spending another 7 years at Hogwarts would be punishment enough.

He watched in disappointment as his father turned to Celia's mum, presumably to talk about how they'd get back to Hogwarts and then glanced at Celia to see what she thought of the whole situation. She was a bit obstructed from view since his father had stood directly in between the two, but he assumed she probably wasn't feeling particularly good about any of this anyway. Overhearing the conversation, he heard his father introduce himself and then get straight into the business of how they'd get their respective children back to Hogwarts. So typical of him. He wasn't sure how much longer their conversation would last so he quietly walked over to Celia, knowing she was probably feeling equally as disappointed as him. "Well..." he ventured, a bit lost for words. "That didn't turn out exactly as expected, did it?" he said with a slight frown. "We could still try and make a run for it though?" he added with a weak attempt at a joke. He knew he should be frustrated and annoyed, but at this point he was mostly just dejected that their escape plan hadn't worked out, even after all the careful planning they'd done.

Everything was moving too quickly. Celia's mind lurched as she tried to keep up. It seemed to take no time at all before Max's dad showed up, and she recoiled in the face of his anger. But what hurt more was the fact that at least Max had a father who would show up. Her own dad wouldn't even answer her letters. A fresh round of tears welled up, but she quickly brushed them away, hoping no one would notice.

She watched as their parents started to discuss plans to get them back, and panic seized her. This was actually happening. "I can't go back," she said, turning to Max with alarm, no longer trying to hide her desperation. "If we go back, we'll never get out." As she spoke the words out loud, she knew them to be true. Seven years. Seven years. How was she supposed to survive seven years locked away in the middle of nowhere, in a prison that didn't even have electricity or internet? "We have to leave now," she said urgently, her eyes darting back and forth, as if a solution would materialize from thin air. "We have to— we have to— maybe the police, they could help." Could you claim you were kidnapped by your own parents? "Or maybe our friends," she said, fumbling to get her phone out of her pocket. But she dropped it — her hands were shaking and it was obvious she was not thinking clearly. "We need to—"

"Celia." She felt her mom touch her shoulder, and she turned around to see that the adults were done talking. It was over. It was over, it was over, it was over. "We'll apparate there in just a minute. I need to talk to my daughter first," her mom said. It made sense. Her mom would never cause a scene in front of someone else. Celia turned back to Max, a plea to save her on her lips, though it wasn't like he had any power in the situation. Within seconds, he and his dad had disappeared.

She wiped again at her eyes and looked down. She'd given her mom the silent treatment for months now, ever since she'd been forcibly moved across the world, and she wasn't about to give in now. "Listen to me." Her mother knelt and tried to look her in the eye, but Celia turned her head. Childish, she knew, but her world was ending. "What you did today was completely unacceptable. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard from your dad. Max's parents, your teachers, the school staff — you've caused them all unnecessary worry. Running away and dragging Max with you was selfish and thoughtless. I know the magical world is a big adjustment, believe me, I know. But that's no excuse. You need to learn how to develop your magical abilities, and given the situation with your dad and I, Hogwarts is the best place for that. If you hate magic when you're done, then fine, you can go to college back here and leave it all behind. But you have to give it a chance."

Celia kept quiet, but there was one question that had been rattling around in her mind every since her phone call in the cafe. If she was being completely honest with herself, it was something she'd wondered months ago, when the whole ordeal had begun, back before she'd constructed a better story for herself. "Dad never wanted me to live with him, did he?" Her mom sighed, and that was the only answer she needed. She couldn't bear to hear anymore. "Take me back," Celia said quickly, turning away so she could pick up her phone and wipe at her eyes again. "Take me back now," she repeated with more force, not wanting to hear another word. Thankfully her mom took pity and reached out to hold her hand before twisting them into oblivion.

((godmodded with permission; continued here))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back