Rocky Mountain Retreat

Sophia smiled to Bruin's parents. "It was lovely to meet you. Thank you for allowing me to stay here" she managed to get in before stepping inside with Bruin.

Her golden eyes moved about the room, taking everything in with wonder. "You would be surprised, how exciting what is mundane to you seems to someone else." Sophia's eyes landed on Bruin with a genuine smile.

Bruin returned Sophia's smile, he was glad that she hadn't been overwhelmed by his parent's enthusiastic greeting. "Fair enough. Well, your room is at the top of the stairs there. There's an ensuite bathroom and stuff. My mom's sure to have laid out towels for you. Why don't you head up and get yourself settled and I'll meet you back down here in a little while. We can chill out and watch some movies tonight and then I'll take you out and show you around tomorrow. Do you need anything?"

Sophia decided not to ask Bruin what movies were and instead looked quizzically at him. "My bag may be helpful."

"Oh right..." Bruin said picking it up and handing it to her, feeling as though he had been chivalrous enough for one day. He flopped down on the couch, barely settling in before Ray jumped up beside him and licked his ear. "Ya, I missed you too!" Bruin replied, rubbing the big lab's head and floppy ears. An observer probably having a hard time determining who appeared goofier at the moment.

Grabbing her bag Sophia went to the stairs and walked up them, trying to ignore Bruin's goofiness. Once she got to the to she walked tentatively down the hall, not wanting to walk into the wrong room.

She spotted a partially open door and walked to it, pushing the door open. She was pleased to see that the room was in fact a bedroom, towels setting out on the bed. This must be it, Sophia thought as she walked inside and set down her bag.

Sophia walked around the room, observing and getting a feel for it. It was very warm and cozy, something she was not at all used to. A chill went down her spine and she began to rub her arms, suddenly reminded of how cold she was. She opened her bag and began to shift through the clothes, eventually pulling out a grey sweatshirt. I believe this was called a 'hoodie,' she thought as she put it on, hoping she was right.

Donning her new sweatshirt Sophia walked back downstairs with her hands in her sweatshirt pocket. She walked over to the couch that Bruin had sat down in and stood beside it, looking around as she pulled her hair back into a ponytail.

((Let me know if that is not all right. I was not sure how you wanted to do that.))

(yep, that works!)

Bruin hadn't bothered trying to settle in, preferring to simply sit and relax on the couch with Ray. When Sophia returned looking comfortable, he looked up. "Everything okay with your accommodations?" he asked, gesturing for Sophia to grab a seat if she liked.

"Yes, everything was fine," Sophia said plainly as she sat on the couch beside Bruin, Ray on his other side. She sat down not too close to Bruin, but a bit closer than she might normally sit, feeling extremely comfortable for some reason.

Sophia eyed Ray nervously, still not used to the idea of a dog.

Bruin watched as Sophia eyed Ray, but decided that he would simply let them get used to one another. "That's good. I was thinking about making some popcorn and then seeing what's on the satelite. Can I get you anything to eat or drink?"

"Satellite?" Sophia asked in confusion, her gaze switching from Ray to Bruin. The only time she remember hearing the word satellite was in reference to the moon in Astronomy. It then dawned on her that Bruin had asked her a question. "Oh, yes, I am quite hungry actually."

Bruin wandered over to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. "You know, satelite TV...watching shows and movies and sports and stuff..." he replied in a quizzical manner, not yet registering that Sophia may not have been exposed to such things.

"Hmmm, looks like we have stuff for sandwiches or would you prefer just snacking on nachos and salso or something?" Bruin said, realizing that he didn't really have any idea what Sophia might like to eat.

Sophia turned to look nervously at Ray as Bruin got off the couch, wondering what the dog would do. Her worry about the dog and confusion about satellite distracted her from trying to decide on something to eat.

"I trust you will pick out something appropriate," she said shakily, her gaze not yet moved from Ray.

With little to go on, Bruin set about preparing a variety of snack foods. At an early age, his parents had ensured that he was self-sufficient and in relatively quick order he was able to put together a tray with some sandwiches, potato chips, nachos and salsa, and some cheese and crackers that his parents must have cut up earlier. He returned to the fridge intent upon finding some other items to fill oout the tray.

As he was busy getting some drinks and cutting up some fresh fruit and vegetables, he noticed that Ray had begun to slowly inch his way towards Sophia. Ray sniffed the air cautiously between them with each subtle movement towards Sophia that he made. Bruin had complete confidence in Ray, knowing that he simply wanted a gentle pat on the head from their guest, but wasn't sure how Sophia would react. Ray was a handsome dog and had not met anyone yet whom he had not managed to charm with his big soft head and soulful eyes.

Bruin added a glass of lemonade and another with iced tea to the tray before finally adding a plate with some cut up vegetables and dip. Looking down at the impressive array of food, Bruin smiled to himself. I still got it! He thought to himself. Bruin took his time making his way back over to the living room, waiting to see what Sophia would do in response to Ray's advances.

Sophia jumped slightly as she saw Ray moving toward her. She was quite visibly nervous, her arms held close to her sides and her shoulders hunched up as she kept herself leaned slightly away from the dog.

She gulped a bit as she noticed Ray was still coming toward her. Well, Bruin was petting him, so maybe he wants me to do so as well. Sophia hesitantly put out her shaky left hand toward Ray, quite afraid of what would happen.

When Ray did not jump at her, or seem to want to do anything ill to her, Sophia relaxed slightly and allowed her hand to make contact with Ray's head. She was pleasantly surprised to find that Ray seemed to enjoy this and patted his head a few times before quickly drawing her hand back.

Bruin watched with interest as Sophia patted Ray on the head. Figuring she had probably had enough, Bruin wandered over with the tray of food and placed it on the coffee table in front of them, taking a seat back on the couch after instructing Ray to lay down on the floor. "Dig in." Bruin said with a smile. "I think you should find something that you might like." Bruin grabbed a roast beef sandwich in one hand and turned on the television.

The big screen roared to life, set as usual on some retro movie channel that his parents like to watch. He wasn't certain, but he thought that the movie playing was called Lord of the Ring or something like that. "Have you seen this one?" Bruin said between bites.

Sophia jumped slightly when Bruin came back and looked with wide eyes at all of the food he brought out. "Oh Bruin, is this just for the two of us?" Before she could get a response her attention was taken by the screen that had spring to life.

"Have I seen what?" Sophia asked in confusion, not even knowing what she was looking at. "Is this like a painting?"

Bruin gave Sophia a funny look when she asked about the food as if to say, yes, of course. She did say she was hungry, didn't she? But almost choked on his food when she referred to the big screen TV as a painting.

"Don't tell me you've never seen television before?" he stated, sounding incredulous.

Sophia was very confused by Bruin's reaction and question, her face showing her emotions quite clearly. "A televishum? No, should I have seen one before?" Suddenly she felt very embarrassed for not knowing what this contraption was and looked down at the tray of food as her pale cheeks began to blush. To cover herself she quickly picked up a small sandwich and began to nibble at it.

Bruin sensed that this experience was becoming a little overwhelming for Sophia and he turned off the TV. "I'm sorry, I forgot that you haven't grown up with a lot of this stuff. I was raised pretty much as a muggle despite my mom being a witch and just figured that you would have been, uh, I don't know, introduced to these kinds of things. That thing is a tel-uh-vi-shun, basically, it plays different types of, um, visual stories...some of them are real and some are made up for entertainment purposes."

Bruin wondered if he was making any sense. "A lot of people prefer to watch stories on this thing, instead of reading about them in books. Seems kind of lame when I explain it, but would you like to try watching something and see what it's like?"

Sophia looked to Bruin, ignoring her sandwich as she listened intently to his explanation. "Oh, no, my parents are staunch purebloods. But yet, I think I would like to try watching a story on this...tel-uh-vi-shun." She very much hoped she was saying it right.

Bruin smiled and picked up the remote, turning the TV back on. "This is a movie based on some old fiction books by Token or something. There's a wizard in this I think and a bunch of other creatures like orcs, elves, and that kind of thing. Not that believable I know, but that fantasy stuff was really popular in its day."

Bruin sat back as some little hobbit creatures tried to talk to a tree. How silly she must think this is!!! Bruin thought to himself.

Once she began to watch the screen and heard Bruin say the author's name it registered to Sophia that this was something Ford had once talked about. Well, the books anyway. She began to frown but quickly turned it into a smile as she looked over at Bruin. Why should I be upset? I am here with Bruin

Sophia moved her golden eyes quickly from Bruin to the screen, hoping he had not seen her looking at him. "Why are those...creatures speaking to a tree?"

"Umm, I can't quite remember the plot, but I think that they are in some kind of war and need the tree people to help in fighting against their enemies. The little guys are on some kind of quest to retrieve or destroy some magical ring, I can't remember exactly though." Bruin seemed to recall seeing one or two movies in this trilogy, but didn't know if he was mixing it up with something else.

Sophia blinked, a plethora of questions inside her head. But she decided not to ask them and instead merely eat her sandwich and attempt to figure out what was going on in the story. "Do you watch...television much when you are home?"

"I suppose so... probably watch an hour or two most days. Usually movies like this or sports." Bruin paused, figuring that Sophia probably had no clue what sports were. "Umm, muggles play games, kind of like Quidditch, and then put them on television for people to watch. I like some of the sports as much or more than Quidditch."

Bruin noticed that Sophia seemed to be watching the movie fairly intently, so he simply picked up some nacho chips and munched absentmindedly on some. "Is there something else you'd prefer to do? Or are you okay just relaxing for a little bit?" Bruin wanted to be a good host, but wasn't sure what Sophia was hoping to do.

Sophia listened to Bruin's explanation of sports with interest, now only half paying attention to the movie. She turned to look at Bruin after he posed his question, unsure of how to respond. "Well, I am fine with whatever you decide. I really do not know what options we have as for activities. I would like to hear more about these sports though."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back