Rocky Mountain Retreat

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Bruin's family had received word from him that he was returning home for the summer and that he was bringing at least one friend with him for the break. It was a beautiful summer afternoon, the crisp mountain air wafting over the treetops.

moraine_lodge_3.jpg

Edward sat patiently on the deck, enjoying the summer afternoon. He was eagerly anticipating the return of his son for the summer holidays, anxious to hear about how the year had gone and catching up with what was new in his only child's life. The past two year's had been hard on Edward, missing his son more than he thought humanly possible.

Edward's wife, Meg, was inside preparing an afternoon snack, desperately trying to keep herself busy so that the time would pass more quickly. A big yellow labrador retriever was lazing on the deck, although a periodic wagging of the tail indicated that Ray also knew that there was something special about today.

"Any sign of them yet?" Meg yelled out to her husband, hoping for an early arrival, but resigned to the fact that she would need to be a little more patient. Good things come to those who wait, she told herself. The thought faded into the background however as the thought that had been ruling her for the past month returned. My baby is coming home...

Meg had known since his birth that Bruin was special and that he had possibly inherited her magical abilities, but she was unprepared for that fateful day a few years back when Bruin had received his invitation letter and begun his preparations to head off to Hogwarts New Zealand. She knew that he was a good boy at heart, but had always been afraid that his risk-taking ways and occasional mischieviousness might lead him into getting hurt. So far, all that they had heard from the school was that he was excelling in his studies and aside from one brush with the authorities, behaving himself. Or at least not getting caught, she worried.

Meg picked up a tray laden with cheese and crackers, a bowl of trail mix, and two tall glasses, one with Iced Tea and the other filled with Lemonade and carried out to the table beside her husband, placing it down carefully. She picked up the lemonade, lowered herself into a lounge chair, and waited. Her free hand hanging down and giving Ray a gentle pat on the head.

As Bruin's parents waited patiently, he and Sophia were just arriving in a small cabin down by the lake via the Floo Network. Bruin had never traveled in sucha manner before and all of the background reading and personal assurances that he had received about how wonderful a form of travel that it was did not prepare him adequately for his arrival in the fireplace of the old cabin.

After being launched unceremoniously into the middle of the room, Bruin took a moment to get his bearings. It took him a moment or two to be certain that they had in fact arrived in the right place. Bruin did a quick once over and was relieved to find that he was still in one piece and that none of his posessions or parts were still traveling to some fireplace elsewhere in the world.

He turned to Sophia and smiled. "Well, here we are." Bruin said cheerfully, remembering that he had neglected to tell Sophia that they would be arriving in the old cabin and not the main residence. He deceided that he wasn't quite ready to let her know this yet, of course. Preferring instead to give her a chance to look around at the rather rustic and dusty conditions of the one-room cabin before letting her off the hook.

Having traveled by Floo Power before Sophia was not phased and stepped gracefully from the fireplace. She looked and felt rather odd, wearing a pair of jeans, a plain green shirt, and ome very odd shoes that were surprisingly comfortable. Having read up on muggle customs and all of the things Bruin had mentioned she had put together what she thought to be a suitable wardrobe, which was in a medium-sized black bag at her side on the floor.

Sophia moved her golden eyes about the tiny cabin, trying not to frown. Is this it? she thought, quite taken aback by the small size and lack of things. "Well," she said, trying not to sound disappointed. "Where are your parents?"

Bruin looked around, feigning that he was puzzled and concerned. "Ummm, I don't know!" he exclaimed, sounding somewhat worried.

After a moment's pause, he turned to Sophia and smiled. "I suppose that they might be up at the main house though." he said. "C'mon...follow me. It isn't far." As Bruin adjusted his knapsack over his shoulder, he looked at Sophia in her muggle outfit, surprised at how natural she looked in them. "Do you want a hand with your bag?" Bruin said as he opened the door to reveal a beautiful lake nestled in the midst of a mountain range.

22776999.jpg

"Yes, I suppose," Sophia began in response to Bruin, stopping completely as she saw the view outside the door.

"Bruin, this is gorgeous." She stepped over to the door and looked outside, her eyes nice and wide as she took in her surroundings. Taking a big deep breath in she inhaled the crisp air and smiled despite herself.

Bruin picked up Sophia's bag, but didn't start walking yet, deciding to give her a chance to simply admire the view. He knew how much he loved the mountains and was pleased that she seemed to appreciate their surroundings as well. Bruin looked over his shoulder and could barely make out the path that wound its way through the trees and up to the main house. It would probably take 5 or 10 minutes to make it up the slope, but that was the great thing about the break, they had lots of time on their hands.

"I thought you might like it." he replied simply. "The main house is just a few minutes hike up the hill. So, are you ready or would you prefer to stay here for a little longer?"

"Oh, right," Sophia said softly as she snapped out of her reverie. "We should get going. The view will be here all summer." She smiled softly at Bruin before stepping out of the cabin, walking slowly in uncertainty, having no idea where to go.

"Alright, follow me..." Bruin said quietly as he made a gesture with his free arm towards a path leading off to the left and began walking slowly in that direction. The path was only wide enough for them to walk in single file, but was soft underfoot, a blend of rich earth and pine needles with only the occasional root or small branch to worry about. It led on a slight upwards slope into what appeared to be the heart of the forest. As they walked, the sounds of birds and small woodland creatures were audible, but in no way threatening.

Bruin noticed that his legs felt a little heavy and that his breathing was becoming a little more laboured after a few minutes, wondering whether it was the altitude or the softer life at Hogwarts New Zealand that was to blame. "It isn't much further..." he managed to get out between breaths, unsure of how Sophia was managing behind him.

Sophia followed behind Bruin finding it hard not to look around at everything. Her mother had had a garden, but it was nothing compared to this. She loved the feeling of being surrounded by nature, so small and insignificant compared to everything around her.

"It is quite cool up here," she said aloud to herself, wishing she had worn a jacket.

Bruin was unsure of whether Sophia was referring to the temperature or that she found the area interesting, but decided to simply mumble a "Yeah...". His attention had been diverted to what awaited them just beyond the crest of the hill. As the path leveled off and turned downwards again, Bruin could make out the family home, tucked into the woods below. It was obvious that his parents had been busy with the landscaping since he was last home.

Loghousemay07small.jpg

Bruin wondered when Ray was going to figure out that they had arrived. Bruin stopped and turned towards Sophia. "I did tell you that I had a big dog, didn't I?"

Sophia walked up and stopped to stand beside Bruin, hugging herself and rubbing her arms. "Yes, I do recall you mentioning it. Although I did some research, I must admit I have never seen a dog before. Should I be worried?"

"Nope.." Bruin replied and than let out a long, low whistle. A moment later the sound of nails scraping across wood could be heard on the deck as Ray made his way off the deck and out onto the path, sniffing the air to see where the familiar sound had come from.

yellowlab.jpg

Finally spotting the two figures at the top of the path Ray bounded over to them, barreling into Bruin's legs and receiving a series of friendly pats and kisses before turning his attention to the newcomer. Ray approached cautiously, sensing that the girl might be a little afraid, and well-trained enough to not jump up on wary humans.

Bruin stood back and watched the odd dance of rambunctious Ray and skeptical Sophia.

Sophia's eyes widened as she saw the dog and she jumped back, looking at it in fear. She began breathing deeply so as to keep herself calm, trying not to show her nervousness as she stared at the dog. She was failing miserably, her stance rigid and her top half shifted back slightly.

"He does not bite, does he?" she asked shakily, watching the dog come nearer.

"Not yet, but I suppose there's a first time for everything!" Bruin replied without thinking, but then quickly realized how uncomfortable Sophia looked and called out "Down!". Ray heeded the command and immediately laid down at Sophia's feet, his big brown eyes darting back between the two to see if he would be released.

At that moment, Bruin noticed movement on the stairs and saw his parents descending, his mother Meg, practically running up the path towards them. Bruin braced himself for what was certain to be an embarrassingly long hug.

Meg had been sitting quietly on the porch, sipping her lemonade when she had heard the whistle. Ray, of course, reacted a little quicker than she had, but what she lacked in initial reaction she was prepared to make up for in enthusiasm. She gave her husband a smile and then ran from the porch and up the path towards her son.

Meg's smile grew wide and she flashed it for Bruin's friend quickly before wrapping him up in the type of hug only a mother can give, squeezing her little boy for all he was worth. After a few moments, she finally released him and then gave him a chastising look, as if to say "Don't be rude, introduce your friend to me!"

Bruin's cheeks flushed red a little, although he knew what to expect and wasn't totally surprised by his mom's reaction. Upon being released, Bruin took a breath and said. "Mom, this is Sophia, the friend I told you about." Bruin turned to Sophia. "Sophia, this is my mom, Meg." Bruin lowered his voice and stage-whispered to Sophia. "Don't call her Mrs. Dumbledez or you'll have to find somewhere else to say for the summer!"

Sophia felt slightly more at ease when she saw the dog obey so fast, and her body position changed to reflect her newfound comfort. She was just considering touching the dog when she saw someone moving toward them.

Not being used to such shows of affection Sophia merely stood with a blank expression as she watched whom she assumed to be Mrs. Dumbledez hug Bruin fiercely. She seems so nice, she thought, trying to prepare herself for the experience of staying in and environment so completely different from what she had been raised in.

She smiled softly as Bruin introduced her to his mother. "It is truly a pleasure to meet you, Meg," Sophia said as she extended her hand. Saying his mother's first name was a bit hard for her, as she was very not used to calling adults by their first name.

"The pleasure is ours Sophia." Meg replied with a warm smile, grasping Sophia's hand gently and attempting to lead her up towards the house. "It's always nice to meet some of Bruin's friends. Come on and we'll introduce you to Bruin's dad." she added. As she turned she noticed that her husband was descending the stairs, apparently intent on greeting them sooner as opposed to later. "Oh, speak of the devil...here he is. Edward, this is Sophia, the friend Bruin told us about."

Edward, as always, did things at a slower pace than the rest of his family. He took his time walking down the path towards them. "Well, hello Sophia, the friend that Bruin told us about!" Edward said with a playful glint in his eye. "Welcome to our little slice of heaven."

Edward ruffled Bruin's hair roughly. "Looks like someone could use a haircut. Come on up to the porch and tell us all the news." he said as he gestured for the ladies to lead the way up the stairs.

Bruin accepted his father's greeting with a half-hearted rolling of the eyes and looked at Sophia, wondering whether she was regretting having decided to come for the summer. Bruin gave Ray a little nod of his head and the dog quickly broke from his release and trotted up the path beside him.

Sophia began walking with Bruin's mother and looked up to see Bruin's father. It was quite interesting for her to see where Bruin came from. She could not help but smile at Bruin's father as he spoke. So the humor is inherited.

As she made her way to Bruin's father she looked up at him with a quizzical look. "I suppose I should call you Edward, and not Mr. Dumbledez?" All of this was new to Sophia and she wanted to get it right.

"Edward would be fine Sophia", Edward replied in a gentle manner. "Come to think of it though, you two are probably a little tired with the time change and all. Bruin, why don't you show Sophia up to the guest bedroom and get yourselves settled in. We can catch up later."

"Sounds good." Bruin replied, suddenly realizing how weary he was. Bruin opened the front door and entered the home, ushering Sophia into the large family room.

Kol_interior_stone350.jpg

When the door closed leaving his parents behind on the porch, Bruin turned to Sophia. "So, there you are. Mom, dad and dog...pretty exciting, eh?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back