Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanz

OOC First Name
Shanz
Hey everyone!!
I was wondering what you all thought?
I have just discovered within my self that I am of wiccan religion as their beliefs suit mine quite well
i was wondering what religion you think witches and wizards of hogwarts are? I personally think it would also be wiccan but i am interested to hear what you all think?
:cool:

Hi there, Shanz - and welcome to HNZ! :)
(To receive a fuller welcome, I would encourage you to introduce yourself to our community ^_^)

As to your recent discovery of what beliefs you have/line up with yours well - why not share those thoughts in this discussion topic where a lot of people have explained what they believe about religion/the universe/their place in it. :)

As to the religion of the characters in Harry Potter: it's difficult to tell.
To be blunt, I think J.K. Rowling skirts the issue of religion. For instance, many characters are muggleborn, raised by muggles, etc. They surely have some muggle belief system (atheism, agnosticism, or a religion - it matters not). Some major recognized religions, however, condemn witchcraft as sin (Christianity, for one). It is likely that many of those witches/wizards were Christians, or are, when they are invited to Hogwarts - how do they reconcile their faith and magic? I can't say.
Moreover, we know that Christmas is celebrated by the wizarding world. Hogwarts decorates for Christmas, the pureblood Weasley family celebrates it, and many other examples of celebrations are given. If they were truly wiccan in belief - they would celebrate Yule (and not just have a 'Yule Ball' which is only had once every four years at a different school every time. ;) ) I figure 'Yule Ball' is like our 'Yule Log' - it has the word 'Yule' in it but has no correlation to the celebration of 'Yule'.

So there are a lot of things to consider, and questions raised.
Given that JKR undoubtedly had religious (dare I suggest Christian) undertones in her works, I would not jump on the 'Wizards are wiccans!" bandwagon. I would be inclined to believe, as I said, that JKR never specifically addresses character's religion(s) on purpose.

I have a character who's friends a wiccan in the muggel world, sadly my character will not reveal her identity of being a witch. But I'm not sure it matters in the Potter world like Nicolas posted up there. Btw welcome ^_^ had the same question once :r

That is a great question. And i dear say i have never though about that...
But now that i do that is rather confuesing.
In the books they celebrate Christmas and Halloween which are said to be derived from pagan / wiccan religion. But they do not celebrate them under there original tittles. In pagan & wiccan religion they celebrate the 8 Sabbats which are Imbolic, Ostara, Beltane, Litha, Lammas, Mabon, Yule (christmas) and also Samhain (Halloween). And in the books they celebrate them under their more commonly known names. But I think they do this to tie themselves to the known muggle world and not because they believe in the stories behind them (eg; Jesus was born on the 25th December and Christmas is us celebrating him...) Because many people who are not of Christian / Catholic .. etc belief still celebrate chrismas for the fun of it and also celebrate Easter even though they dont believe or know the story behind that either.

It would make an interesting story plot if your mugle-born character grew up in a strict God Religon family. What would happen when they started doing magic? My first thought would be something along the lines of demonic possesion or equally as freaky then get them to an Exorsist. That would be cool.

But anyway... in my opinion Witches and Wizards are of NO known religion as they are not completly of Wiccan religion and they could not be of Christian belief. So I think if this were to be real life they would probaly celebrate there own holidays and make their own traditions and stuff.

x.Crystal

just adding my thoughts
I think that hogwarts is a generally non religions school, ie it had no religious ties. obviously it celebrates christmas and halloween, but christmas is a major public holiday in britain where the series are set, so it ties in with the surrounding muggle world and muggle born children get to continue celebrating their family traditions whilst still being at school, as for Halloween, who doesn't like dressing up and having a feast.

as for the students, I think that they are basically free to practice whatever religion they like,, and are not encouraged or dissuaded in any way. for example i have three students,
Elvera le Fey, was bought up in a loosely pagan way, and she and her mother follow that way of life
Briar Rowan, wasn't brought up with any religion, and still doesn't follow any
Tara Sitara, was brought up a hindu, and still is hindu, she celebrates the hindu holidays and is a vegetarian, among other things. (bur she still went to the yule ball)

I reckon that the you can have students of any religion you want.

Topic Closed and Archived

Your question/issue has either been resolved or is unanswerable.
If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to open another topic in the FAQ forum, we're always pleased to answer your questions.

Thank you,

~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back