Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
[adminapproval=30083257]Monty had not been well. Since his encounter with Odette and Margo, his mind had been plagued with questions he had no means of answering, lest he run the risk of seeing his family again. And he couldn't do that. Not after thirty-one years. What on earth would his mother say, if she saw him now? He'd have to explain himself. He'd have to tell her why he'd run away. It was utterly out of the question. No matter how he'd tried to persuade himself over the last three decades, he couldn't face even writing his mother a letter, let alone meeting her again. It wasn't just his fear of having to explain himself, or his fear of seeing his stepfather again; truth be told, he was afraid of how he would feel. His mother had never truly been a mother to him. At best, she'd been distant; at worst, she'd been deeply depressed, completely unable to care for Monty the way she ought have. And though Monty had long forgiven her, he was not sure he would ever be able to like her.

Under the weight of all these troubles, Monty was growing tired. For once he could not wait for term to end - though he was somewhat unsure how he would convince himself to return again in the new year. At least two students had figured out who he was, which meant there was a good chance one of them was related to him. He'd have curled up somewhere dark and hidden there until his problems disappeared, if he'd thought it might work; but he'd tried that many years ago, to no avail. No, he could not hide, and he could not run. Really, he had nowhere to go.

The library had always been a safe haven for Monty, from his own years as a student at Hogwarts Scotland to his employment as a professor at HNZ; and it was there he found himself again that afternoon, in part to hide from any students who might be knocking at his office, and in part to lose himself for a while in the comforting arms of a book. But when he arrived and began to browse the bookshelves, he could not for the life of him decide what to read. After searching for a little while he came to a halt, gazing idly up at the tall shelves, his eyes sad and not quite seeing. He was too tired to read, anyway.

With the library having a few students at that time, Irene took the opportunity of arranging the books as well as the chairs pushed back to the tables. Waving her wand at another stack of books, she noticed a movement to her left. Thinking it was just another student selecting a book, she finished what she was doing until she got to the last table on the left side of the library. The afternoon was fairly quiet as the young librarian paced back toward the front. She had reached the shelf and found that the movement she noticed earlier was still there.

The clacking of maroon heels stopped as Irene halted just beside the tall bookshelf. That was the time she noticed that it was the Professor Monty Pendleton, Potions professor for the Years 1-4. She noticed that he was just standing there with his eyes gazing at nowhere. He seemed lost in thought and his eyes lost its usual shine that she heard from the first years. She cleared her throat to announce her presence."Good afternoon, Professor.", she softly greeted the man with a warm smile.

Monty was so deeply engrossed in thought that, despite her gentle tones, he startled at the sound of Irene's voice. He'd been aware of her presence, but hadn't expected her to speak to him, and for a moment looked at her blankly, as if waiting for confirmation that it was indeed him to whom she was talking. "Hello," he said, once he was confident he had not misunderstood. "Sorry, I was just..." He pointed up at the books, trailing off as he realized he had nothing to apologize for. Libraries were, after all, a place to browse. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um, I was looking for something to read. Obviously. I, uh - sorry, I don't think I know your name. I'm Monty. Pendleton. Professor Pendleton. Which... you might already know, come to think of it. Sorry, I'll be quiet, shall I?" Flawless.

Irene's face appeared a bit apologetic when she noticed that Prof. Pendleton was startled by her. After all, he was deeply engrossed on whatever he was doing. "I'm so sorry I startled you, Professor.", she said softly since libraries were supposed to be quiet places. She listened to him as he fumbled for a reason which was actually unnecessary. She couldn't help a laugh escaped from her lips. She leaned against the shelf and replied, "No need for apologies, sir- I mean Monty. I can call you Monty,right?", she loosely crossed her arms in front of her. "Of course, I know you but haven't met you personally. Just heard you from the first years who have really enjoyed your class." She laughed at this before she realized that she didn't introduce herself to the Potions teacher. "So silly of me. I'm Irene. Irene Meredith. I'm actually one of the librarians here.",she straightened up and offered her hand in greeting.

"No, no, that's all right," Monty assured Irene quickly, smiling. "Yes, Monty's fine." He blushed, wondering whether she'd really heard such a thing from the first years, or whether she was simply trying to make him feel better. Either way, it was a sweet thing to say. Monty took her hand to shake. "Lovely to meet you, Irene," he said, withdrawing his hand and hoping it hadn't been clammy in hers. "You must be quite new, yes? Er - that is, not that I'd have guessed it - only, I haven't seen you around. How are you enjoying it here in the castle?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back